A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 You and Vinyl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 554
Join date : 2009-07-02
Age : 29
Location : Dallas, TX

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:51 am

My continuing struggle to get a turntable looks like it might almost be over! Most recent update was that I found a great portable TT on craigslist, but it turns out it's off balance :\ I don't know how to fix it, but the guy selling it apologized and said he'd try to get it repaired; I told him to let me know if he does.
Anyhow, I posted on twitter that I wanted one, and low and behold, friend of mine offered to give me one someone just gave him!
He hasn't been able to test it, but if it works, I'm in business!!

I still haven't listened to my brand new 59 Sound vinyl Sad but soon maybe!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 am

kieran wrote:
Are there any other good vinyl places round there?

There's Piccadilly Records on Oldham Street, which may be worth a look. They usually do some instores.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=piccadilly+records+manchester&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&cid=0,0,17516662012708401844&ei=jHeBSuDsOc2NjAeulPWKCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 192
Join date : 2008-09-11
Age : 28
Location : Southampton, UK

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Finally for my own turntable today, so no longer have to annoy the family by sitting in the living room listening to music. To celebrate I'm listening to the Bruce Springsteen live boxset - I don't think I can make it through all 5 LPs though!
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 428
Join date : 2009-08-15
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I found an old Nils Lofgren Live LP in a second hand shop for 20 sek, that's like 3 dollars Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2008-09-02
Age : 28
Location : Portsmouth/Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
kieran wrote:
Are there any other good vinyl places round there?

There's Piccadilly Records on Oldham Street, which may be worth a look. They usually do some instores.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=piccadilly+records+manchester&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&cid=0,0,17516662012708401844&ei=jHeBSuDsOc2NjAeulPWKCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Fuck me I love this shop. I could have brought so much new stuff. Picked up a few bits though Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey and the two My Bloody Valentine reissues.

Seriously good shop though wanted to pick up Whats Going on by Marvin Gaye but didnt and now im regretting it.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 428
Join date : 2009-08-15
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I found this Clash bootleg today and bought it Very Happy

Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 428
Join date : 2009-08-15
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm

oops, it became quite big...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2008-09-02
Age : 28
Location : Portsmouth/Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Whats the track listing?
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 428
Join date : 2009-08-15
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Side One:
1.Are You Ready For The War?
2.Rock And Roll City
3.The Dictator
4.This Is England
5.Daddy In The Street
6.We Are The Clash

Side Two:
1.Safe European Home
2.Clampdown
3.I'm So Bored With The Usa
4.Should I Stay Or Should I Go
5.Garageland
6.Spanish Bombs
7.White Riot
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:51 am

Refused wrote:
Finally for my own turntable today, so no longer have to annoy the family by sitting in the living room listening to music. To celebrate I'm listening to the Bruce Springsteen live boxset - I don't think I can make it through all 5 LPs though!

I remember buying that box set as soon as it came out. It seemed like the most extravagant thing ever. Many, many years later I wrote the final version of my Ph.D. to it, as it was the only thing that could keep me going through the nights.

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org | www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 am

kieran wrote:
Tomaldo wrote:
kieran wrote:
Are there any other good vinyl places round there?

There's Piccadilly Records on Oldham Street, which may be worth a look. They usually do some instores.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=piccadilly+records+manchester&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&cid=0,0,17516662012708401844&ei=jHeBSuDsOc2NjAeulPWKCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Fuck me I love this shop. I could have brought so much new stuff. Picked up a few bits though Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey and the two My Bloody Valentine reissues.

Seriously good shop though wanted to pick up Whats Going on by Marvin Gaye but didnt and now im regretting it.

Assume you'll be going back then?? Very Happy

It's one of those shops where everytime you go in you will see something that if money wasn't an object you would end up buying. As it happens for me, money is....
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2008-09-02
Age : 28
Location : Portsmouth/Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Yeah likewise that pretty much sums up how I feel about that shop.

Also have spare copy of No Division by HWM as my Girlfriend brought me a load of HWM stuff and didnt realise I already have a copy. Its Grey mix from the 7th pressing. 5 plus a quid or so for shipping and its yours.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 554
Join date : 2009-07-02
Age : 29
Location : Dallas, TX

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Hit up Half-Price books and a local antique mall the other day. I got the following:

Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
The Ventures Greatest Hits
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor (only $2!! A real steal)

All in all, very happy right now Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Shipyards
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 am

We're currently moving house and have ended up putting all my vinyl & cd's in a storage unit until we're a bit more sorted.

I've lived in my current house for approaching twelve years and one room was devoted entirely to the storage of my music. On the shelves it all didn't look too bad, but once boxed it was a bit of a shock (and more so for my wife!). It's been a pretty strange experience gathering stuff together, boxing it up securely and flicking few. Made me realise just how much I'd amassed, how much I must have spent and the amount of boxes I have that haven't been explored for years. I felt (and continue to feel) a strange mixture of nostalgia at all the memories contained and nausea by the sheer volume. I should have been a lot more selective with my purchases, yet I continue to buy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Shipyards wrote:
We're currently moving house and have ended up putting all my vinyl & cd's in a storage unit until we're a bit more sorted.

I've lived in my current house for approaching twelve years and one room was devoted entirely to the storage of my music. On the shelves it all didn't look too bad, but once boxed it was a bit of a shock (and more so for my wife!). It's been a pretty strange experience gathering stuff together, boxing it up securely and flicking few. Made me realise just how much I'd amassed, how much I must have spent and the amount of boxes I have that haven't been explored for years. I felt (and continue to feel) a strange mixture of nostalgia at all the memories contained and nausea by the sheer volume. I should have been a lot more selective with my purchases, yet I continue to buy

How many records do you figure you have? I just recently started collecting and I think I've been pretty selective but there are so many wants.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:25 pm

I have that same problem khchausk8er, far too many things I want on vinyl, but can't really afford!
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
I have that same problem khchausk8er, far too many things I want on vinyl, but can't really afford!

Haha it's Kenny..and yep for myself I want the upcoming Strung Out, Dead to Me, and the Lawrence Arms stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 395
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 29
Location : Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 am

My vinyl collection currently consists of:

Social Distortion - Greatest Hits
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster
Social Distortion - Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars (Lime Green) (300)

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted (180 gram)
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (180 gram)

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (180 gram)

The Black Keys - The Big Come Up (See-Through Orange)

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose (Red) (180 gram) (not sure of pressing amount)

Waiting on:

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (180 gram)
Nirvana - Nevermind (180 gram)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

Fixing up:

The Clash - London Calling. It's a double LP and the first LP was The Clash but the second LP was a compilation of country music. Pretty weird especially because it was sealed.

On my want list:

Definitely all the Gaslight stuff, especially the new 59 Sound single with the Pearl Jam cover on it.

Never mind the Bollocks (picture disc).

Born in the USA.

Rocket to Russia.

The first three years - Frank Turner.
Back to top Go down
Shipyards
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 am

khchausk8er wrote:
How many records do you figure you have? I just recently started collecting and I think I've been pretty selective but there are so many wants.

We think were coming in somewhere between 6000 - 7000 items (perhaps more), which is frankly a bit loopy. Tend to usually buy two albums a week and a couple of sevens. The thing that's killing me is postal costs 'cause so many good vinyl releases are limited to the States.

Gonna have a major cull when we move; trade, ebay & charity shop. If anyone has any specific wants get in touch, send me the artists you collect ... can't do any harm can it?



Picked up a sealed copy of Against Me "New Wave" pretty cheap this week. I cut the cello 'cause I heard there are two different yellow vinyls (one clear yellow the other solid yellow) only to find it was the black pressing. Pretty odd as it was sealed and had the sticker saying it was the yellow pressing.

Have spent much a of the week wondering if this was a good or a bad thing???
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:23 am

Shipyards, that is insane!

Andy.mac - I have Born In The USA on vinyl and it is probably one of the 'best' records I own on vinyl as regards whay I think is a difference to the CD version when you listen to it.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 395
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 29
Location : Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:13 am

I've only starting getting vinyl and I've found some are very hit and miss.

I know Social D re-recorded some of their songs for the Greatest Hits but man I don't think I'll be playing it again, it sounded so empty.

But my Stones and Dylan vinyl are great.

I don't think I'll start 'collecting' (with different colour variations) as it's already starting to cost a fortune but there are a few artists/bands that I'll definitely get everything they've put out ie Gaslight

Tomaldo - Yeah my mum actually has a copy of Born in the USA and it definitely sounds great.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Shipyards wrote:
khchausk8er wrote:
How many records do you figure you have? I just recently started collecting and I think I've been pretty selective but there are so many wants.

We think were coming in somewhere between 6000 - 7000 items (perhaps more), which is frankly a bit loopy. Tend to usually buy two albums a week and a couple of sevens. The thing that's killing me is postal costs 'cause so many good vinyl releases are limited to the States.

Gonna have a major cull when we move; trade, ebay & charity shop. If anyone has any specific wants get in touch, send me the artists you collect ... can't do any harm can it?



Picked up a sealed copy of Against Me "New Wave" pretty cheap this week. I cut the cello 'cause I heard there are two different yellow vinyls (one clear yellow the other solid yellow) only to find it was the black pressing. Pretty odd as it was sealed and had the sticker saying it was the yellow pressing.

Have spent much a of the week wondering if this was a good or a bad thing???

Hey shipyards you should hang onto that New Wave on black, it may be rare.
As far as I know they were only supposed to be on yellow, but no info on it.
One just sold on ebay for $52 US.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 am

I just got in:

Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 395
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 29
Location : Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 am

that's a great album

CUT IT UP!
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 am

Lol you know it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: You and Vinyl   

Back to top Go down
 
You and Vinyl
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: