A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Downloading Illegally vs iTunes vs Buying Albums   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:36 am

What are your thoughts? Do you buy or download?
I usually download but if I think an album is good, the band is not very well known (and the money can help them grow), and i have money, I will purchase the albums at a record shop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 am

buy 90% of the time. i've copied a few albums off friends but generally buy the album once i've got cash. i never download anything tho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 am

i got to admit that i do download albums, but most of them are those i can't buy or even order here in austria (yes, that is possible in austria) or of a band that i don't know that good yet and that i want to get to know before i buy their album (99% of all austrian recordstores are rediciulous)

let's say so: 90% percent of all music i have on my computer, i also have as an original in my room...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:34 am

If i like a band I will buy a physical copy of an album. If i really like them I'll buy the vinyl as well. As a result I am poor; but like Grazer, estimate that roughyl 85%-90% of the stuff on my iTunes I also got a physical copy of somewhere.

I don't agree with people who download all their music illegally, for nothing. However I do occasionally download stuff merely to 'try it out' if its a band I think I may like, but am not totally sure, particularly if their albums are still expensive. If album prices dropped to 1 I would go crazy, but they won't, so there aren't that many other options! If i do like the album once I've downloaded it, however, I will make a point of buying it. I started doing this 'cos I found myself listening to the same small number of bands over and over again, and because the radio is rubbish I only pick up on new bands on the net. I would never resort to ripping off bands I like by downloading illegally though. They gotta eat.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 am

Tomaldo wrote:
I would never resort to ripping off bands I like by downloading illegally though. They gotta eat.

That's pretty much my attitude summed up, except if i think those bands are big enough and it won't effect them if i don't purchase their album. Like Green Day's new album I downloaded illegally, because: -there soo big they hardly need the money -they've lost the punk in them and -i bought there older albums (i own all of them except 21st Century) for a fair bit (like $25 for dookie was a fair rip off) so I have already made a fair contribution to them.

Also, with this statement:
Grazer wrote:
a band that i don't know that good yet and that i want to get to know before i buy their album
I do this a lot. I find a download from a blog, have a listen and work out whether the band is good or not. If the album is one i will listen to multiple times I will try and buy it, if not, then it just sits on my hard drive, without me listening to it, so it's just like I don't own the album anyway.

I respect people who don't download, and totally understand your view, but I would not discover any new music if i didn't download music illegally first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 am

I usually download some illegal music if i'm unsure on the artist, however If I do like it I will 90% of the time by the album to go along with it (this happend with Gaslight, Frank Turner)

I also downloaded the Foxboro Hot Tubs album but this was a free download from their site to promote it.

I hate downloading albums personally, if I had the money I would buy every album on CD I could, dislike Itunes and mp3's, I have to have it in physical format.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am

Hey guys. Is it alright with everyone if we just move this discussion into this thread please http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/general-chat-discussions-f7/cds-vinyl-or-mp3s-t978.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 am

@ stalls standing
of ourse it's alright, just move on

Well i think every one has got their own kind of luxury in life. Mine is spending my money on books, trvales and music (concerts and records of course).

a lot of my friends don't buy any record at all,not even from their favourite artist, they just download it all. i let them do as they want, but sometimes i can't understand them.
i think there are a lot of emotions that play an important role why i buy records. the feeling is so much different when just adding an mp3-song to your playlist or when putting a cd into your soundsystem and going through the booklet while listening to the music.
that's something i wouldn't want to miss in my life...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

Arr... I be a pirate. But let ye not think this be of me own volition, but I be a victim of circumstances.

Okay, so that's really just a lame excuse. I never buy an album outright anymore. It's always one I've downloaded first :\ The only exception was the Best of Fuel, but I knew that was gonna be awesome.

It's not something I'm particularly proud of and this hardly justifies it, but the fact is I've actually bought more albums since I started downloading and listening to tons of different music than I did before I went torrent crazy. When I find an album I really like, I go and buy it. I also buy quite a few cheap indie albums when I get a chance, just b/c they cost less and I like to think I'm helping in some way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

I mostly buy albums...if I really want to preview I'll go to a free streaming site like Lala and listen to the entire album. I've pirated on occasion, although usually a friend sending me the album as opposed to me torrenting (but I suppose that doesn't make any difference), but I try to buy any album that I enjoy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:21 am

There was a site called Spotify, and when you downloaded the programme you could listen to whole albums for free on that softwar. There were adverts and you couldn't get them on your iPod/MP3, but this just proves even though the price of CDs is falling people want to listen before they buy nowadays.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:54 am

Spotify is great...however it's UK only. I got around it with a simple trick but they eventually figured it out and blocked me from it.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 am

when i've got the money i love to shop for vinyl. but when its low, i use live journal communities to find what i need. when i've taken something, i always try and make an effort to see the band so i don't have that guilt riding on my conscience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
Scarlett
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Wow you have 1000 CDs. I just started to collect them a year ago and I only have a bit over 100 I remember it all started when one morning I felt I needed to own all the Simon & Garfunkel's CDs haha i love buying CDs and listening them from my radio!

I really hope they'll continue to still make CDs. They still do vinyls for crazy fans heh.
I want a huge collection ;(

I also have a question to everyone who has TGA albums. I want to buy them but just wanted to ask: are they in a jewel case? :S I hate when CDs are in cardboard sleeve or whatever you call it So I would be very grateful if anyone would tell me hehe
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:45 pm

yeah they're all in jewel cases
Back to top Go down
Scarlett
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Hey thanks so much!
Gonna buy them tomorrow then:D Really excited XD
Although I have to order them from USA because they're the cheapest there and so I have to wait them for quite sooome time ;(
But it'll all be worth it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   

Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: