A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm

When 'Old White Lincoln' first played on Virgin (now Absolute) Radio..mid-late 2008? This led to instant Youtube research and good timing for a gig!...then a couple more London gigs and Glasto....
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 pm

i bonded with a cute boy over a mutual appreciation for the Slackers while tending bar late one night.....spent a month making doe eyes at him, and then one night he brought me The '59 Sound. said, "listen to this, you will like it."

edit: for secrecy!

Last edited by redd on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:55 pm

The '59 Sound is good for that sort of thing! I've given it to a few girls myself. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:02 pm

it totally worked.....i scoffed at first, took a minute to get next to it. Thinking if it were that awesome i'd have already heard it right? (knowitall music jerk that i am)

but i was wrong, now TGA and i are going steady. we hangout together all the time, home, car, job, turns out all of songs are just for me. we never fight. we are like this (gestures). yeah, this could be the one. sigh.

and dude, is cool too.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Hm, maybe I should reconsider my plan of action then. On the one hand, spreading the Gospel of Gaslight is a just cause... but I don't wanna be third wheel to an album!
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

aw, there's always plenty of love to give right? *wink* The tunes are just the still point in the (my) turning world. everyone needs an axis.

edited for effect.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 pm

redd wrote:
aw, there's always plenty of love to give right? *wink* The tunes are just the still point in the (my) turning world. everyone needs an axis.

edited for effect.

love your posts; you've brightened up my day no end (as did your avatar); and this board is just the place for people like us who fell for TGA and the Boss hook, line and sinker

let us know how the night went

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 pm

thanks boo! (people say "boo" in the South). I'm From the SLC, but am RVA now, so i'm getting with the program and expanding my "regional waitress-speak."

i used to steal quarters from my dad to play "I'm on Fire" on the jukebox of this shitty hamburger dive when i was maybe 5. i love that memory and i love that opening line.

There are songs that you just know you'll always know. always love. some bands get to write one, and they are fortunate. and some bands just can't write anything else. and they are a gift.

also, i definately will. sometimes some jerk asks to touch the ipod or choose the song. and i always say no. because, i am in charge of the tunes. heh.

edit: isn't it just like a dbag american to just assume you know my city abbreviations?....in the UK. (or maybe you do? d'oh!) SLC is Salt Lake City, UT. and RVA is Richmond, VA.....and well, "The South" is "The South." ......*er, did someone say something? crickets?*
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:18 pm

redd wrote:
i used to steal quarters from my dad to play "I'm on Fire" on the jukebox of this shitty hamburger dive when i was maybe 5. i love that memory and i love that opening line.

talk about opening lines

i think i must be reading the next great American novel

redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:24 pm

that's funny because my mom says i'll only be pretty for about ten more years (and she outta know i look just like her) and that i can't sling beers and bullshit old men forever. says i'll have to go back to "real-jobbing it." but i know that game, and it's just not for me.....i just figure i'll fall back on the "great american novel"....it'll be a little bit sad, and a little bit hilarious, and it'll read like your favorite album.

i just have to get started is all. (grins). i'm waiting....for just....the right....moment.

maybe i've got my opening line eh?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

redd wrote:
that's funny because my mom says i'll only be pretty for about ten more years (and she outta know i look just like her) and that i can't sling beers and bullshit old men forever. says i'll have to go back to "real-jobbing it." but i know that game, and it's just not for me.....i just figure i'll fall back on the "great american novel"....it'll be a little bit sad, and a little bit hilarious, and it'll read like your favorite album.

i just have to get started is all. (grins). i'm waiting....for just....the right....moment.

you sure do, so sign me up for an advance copy

and if it'll read like Sink or Swim, but with that special extra you bring to the mix, then i'll be happy

noble_man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm

A certain uk punk show on radio 1 played the 59 sound ( song ) liked it ... checked out myspace and the rest was history ...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:10 am

^MySpace is still useful!
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 am

redd wrote:

you writin a book or something? haha, sounds good if so xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 am

maybe sortof, and thanks kid. and yeah, i'm the guy wasting time and space. i have a reverse flux capacitor, i'm 21 gigawatts into the future.

i seldom drink on the job, but tonight was special, because is was thursday.

i played all of the really steller TGA songs and filled the spaces with Thin Lizzy, Neil Young, The Faces, My Morning Jacket, The Band, The Stones, Otis Redding, Carla Thomas, DBT, Allman Bros, Lucero, American Steel, Van Halen, Dusty Springfield, Dan Auerbach, Ike and Tina, Ween, Beck, Jeff Beck. Pixies and other old friends.

my night was really, really good for an on the clock evening, and i hope yours was too.

cheers new peeps
ames
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:06 am

I would like it if somewhere near me played the Gaslight Anthem...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:22 am

Wish your bar was near me!
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:50 pm

If a bar played that set were i lived i would be out every night. I discovered Gaslight Anthem because i try to go to Leeds festival every year (cant go this year) and i look into as many bands as i can from the line-up, when i heard gaslight i thought i have to go and see them but when august 2008 came i was only just getting into them, and didn't know the songs that well but i saw them and it was a good show. I think they were just hanging around after their set too and if that happened now i would definitely to and say hello or good set or something boring like that.
Back to top Go down
RunawaySmile
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 am

Last year when The 59' Sound came out in the UK - I immeadiately fell in love with them but as of late, they have been my new obsession. I really really want/need to see them live.
Back to top Go down
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm in the exact same boat, RS.
Back to top Go down
scousertommy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:33 am

Springsteen is my all time fave and he performed with TGA at Hyde Park in London. I liked the song and got them up on Spotify. Love to see them live in the UK
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:38 am

I was gonna see Social Distortion on west coast riot (a swedish punk festival) and saw that a band called the Gaslight Anthem was gonna play there. I recognized the name because I'd seen their (Brian's) cover of Backstreets on Youtube so I checked them out. I found the 59 sound and it was amazing then I came to meet me by the river's edge and man I was stuck!!
Back to top Go down
Maureen973
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:06 am

My friend played TGA for me in a line wait for Dashboard Confessional last year after hearing OWL i was hooked, I went home and bought all 3 cds and havent looked back since. I've hooked all my friends and gym instructors! Trust me there is nothing better than spinning to TGA! :-)
Back to top Go down
Maureen973
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:16 am

I got lucky and discovered TGA by a friend playing them for me in a line wait for another band but TGA won me out. I guess as a Jersey girl i understand the heartbreak and the sunburn and the heatstroke but you don't you have to be here to experience it for yourself!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next