A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 New Brian Interview

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 83
Join date : 2014-08-22
Age : 27
Location : London via Ireland

PostSubject: New Brian Interview   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Quite a good new interview on Alternative Nation. The most interesting bit for me is that he doesn't think TGA are getting back together soon + he's plans on starting to write new songs soon. So maybe another solo album next year?

http://www.alternativenation.net/interview-brian-fallon-talks-unknown-future-of-gaslight-anthem-writing-new-music/
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1318
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Id also say that he will do a further solo record...Im pretty curious about it...but tbh on one hand I really wanted a Gaslight record...but I understand him that it's still too soon and I think he really enjoys the solo trip...so let's looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 232
Join date : 2016-03-14
Age : 48
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:55 pm

He's committed to solo tour dates through the end of the year so I wasn't too shocked to see that. I just hope they don't get too used to life apart.
Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 83
Join date : 2014-08-22
Age : 27
Location : London via Ireland

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Yeah. I mean if he's had Long Drives lying around since before Handwritten I'm sure he's got another album or two of solo stuff written or within him. Maybe by that stage the rock thing won't seem as stale to him and we'll get more Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1318
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 pm

I think he needs some more time before doing a Gaslight record...I mean it is still too soon for him to say anything about it or to make his mind about Gaslight...its almost 1 year they are on hiatus now and he just released his solo record a few months ago...now he really enjoys going solo and so on..maybe one day he gets sick of it or misses Gaslight or has a new idea for an amazing record...then he will go back to the band...as I already mentioned it ...its still too soon..thats what I think
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 284
Join date : 2015-03-22
Age : 38
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:45 pm

I think you're right Anya; it's not likely to happen that quickly. And if you look at the response he's getting with his solo work contrasted with the response to Get Hurt, you can see why he wouldn't want to go back to it immediately. He's just getting started with his solo work, and it all seems to be going pretty well so far.

I'd love to see another Gaslight record eventually, but I'd much rather he was doing what inspires him, as I think he makes better music that way.
Back to top Go down
Roe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 84
Join date : 2013-05-06

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I get what you're saying about the response to Get Hurt, however Brian always compared it to Pearl Jam's No Code saying that people would hate it right away and come back in a few years to totally love it. For the most part he got exactly what he said he was going to get (for the first part anyways, we'll see about the latter). I know I'm in the minority of people that really enjoyed Get Hurt from the start. There's a couple of key differences with No Code though.

The time period I think is playing a factor. Back when No Code was released there were a few magazines that put out semi poor reviews and that was about it. Radio stations played "Off He Goes" a bit but for the most part stuck to the singles from their first 3 albums. They were still selling out arenas. There was a general sense among fans that it wasn't the greatest album ever released but the internet wasn't as big a presence as it is today. People weren't logging onto twitter, facebook, whatever else there is these days to express their disappointment with the album. There weren't hundreds of kids with a webpage who declared themselves to be a music critic that were ripping the album apart.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Pearl Jam was an iconic band of the 90's. If you were to poll 100 people and ask them to name 5 90's bands I would be willing to bet that at least 90% would have Pearl Jam in their answer. This gave them a little bit of leeway with fans and the majority of them were willing to give the next album a shot even if they hated No Code. As much as I love Gaslight and everyone else on the board does, they're nowhere near that type of status. Combine that with the time period thing again and most casual fans who don't like the album may not be bothered to check anything new out. Especially when the radio isn't a primary way of hearing new music anymore and Pandora, Spotify and other catered playlist sites are what folks these days are listening to.

Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 263
Join date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:57 pm

shiftynj wrote:
He's committed to solo tour dates through the end of the year so I wasn't too shocked to see that. I just hope they don't get too used to life apart. á

Well, Ian and Alex have been on all the tours with him, so it's not like those three are spending any time apart.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1318
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I also liked Get Hurt from the beginning...I would say it will take 2 or 3 more years for a new Gaslight record
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Roe wrote:
I get what you're saying about the response to Get Hurt, however Brian always compared it to Pearl Jam's No Code saying that people would hate it right away and come back in a few years to totally love it. For the most part he got exactly what he said he was going to get (for the first part anyways, we'll see about the latter). I know I'm in the minority of people that really enjoyed Get Hurt from the start. There's a couple of key differences with No Code though.

The time period I think is playing a factor. Back when No Code was released there were a few magazines that put out semi poor reviews and that was about it. Radio stations played "Off He Goes" a bit but for the most part stuck to the singles from their first 3 albums. They were still selling out arenas. There was a general sense among fans that it wasn't the greatest album ever released but the internet wasn't as big a presence as it is today. People weren't logging onto twitter, facebook, whatever else there is these days to express their disappointment with the album. There weren't hundreds of kids with a webpage who declared themselves to be a music critic that were ripping the album apart.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Pearl Jam was an iconic band of the 90's. If you were to poll 100 people and ask them to name 5 90's bands I would be willing to bet that at least 90% would have Pearl Jam in their answer. This gave them a little bit of leeway with fans and the majority of them were willing to give the next album a shot even if they hated No Code. As much as I love Gaslight and everyone else on the board does, they're nowhere near that type of status. Combine that with the time period thing again and most casual fans who don't like the album may not be bothered to check anything new out. Especially when the radio isn't a primary way of hearing new music anymore and Pandora, Spotify and other catered playlist sites are what folks these days are listening to.


Also PJ was intentionally trying to be weird and resist the fame they had gotten. I also have never heard them talk about disliking anything they've put out after the fact. Other than "Black" and I think that was just because of what it meant to Ed. And even then he said "I wish we'd never play it again but we play it every night" so it didnt stop them wheras TGA tends to be pretty hard on themselves and stop playing stuff they're not 100% behind. All in all I think the situations are too different to compare. But man if anyone needs a guidebook on how to function and stay together as a band, PJ has written it. I wish TGA had gone their route and never announced any sort of hiatus, just literally taken a breather. No one panics that PJ is on hiatus when they take 4 years to put out a new record. They don't even have to do that much touring in between.

I don't know where TGA goes from here but I agree with those who are saying they need more time as it's only been a year. Also it's not just a matter of Brian going back. I wouldn't assume he's the only one who's getting something out of a little separation.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 pm

Anya_TGA wrote:
I also liked Get Hurt from the beginning...I would say it will take 2 or 3 more years for a new Gaslight record

I think there's a difference between time apart from each other, vs from the project that is TGA. It's not like they had a falling out.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1318
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:39 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Anya_TGA wrote:
I also liked Get Hurt from the beginning...I would say it will take 2 or 3 more years for a new Gaslight record

I think there's a difference between time apart from each other, vs from the project that is TGA. It's not like they had a falling out.

yeah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New Brian Interview   

Back to top Go down
 
New Brian Interview
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Donna Karan Interview
» Meeting between the PJ, Metodo 3 and Brian Kennedy
» ASSANGE INTERVIEW RE BANKS
» The Expresso interview revisited by Gonšalo Amaral
» Interview with Reginald Harrison, Royal Hamilton Light Infantry

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Side Projects & Earlier Bands :: Brian Fallon solo ('Painkillers' onwards)-
Jump to: