A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Surprise, surprise!

Remember when last year Brian answered your questions exclusively here on DSS?
Twice?
Guess what?
He is doing it AGAIN!

With the release of "Painkillers", Brian's debut solo album only a few months away and US, UK and EU live dates around the corner,
Brian is very interested in all the questions you have and is excited to do another exclusive Q&A here on DSS.

He wants to know what YOU want to know about Painkillers, his upcoming tour as Brian Fallon and the Crowes, anything goes from inspiration for the album title, recording process,
lyrics, artworks, what to expect from the live sets etc. etc. He was very impressed with the questions you all came up with the last two times, so the bar is high ;-)

Out of all submitted questions, around 20 were selected, sent to Brian and then answered by him personally.
His answers will be posted here once he sent them back to us. The selection process will the same as the last times.

The question thread is now deleted and replaced with Brian's answers which you can find here:
http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/t6129-november-2015-qa-with-brian-fallon-pre-painkillers-online-now#188106
The Q&A are lockes but this thread will stay open so do feel free to express your joy, place your message to Brian or discuss anything Q&A related right here.

Again looking forward to all of your new, interesting and thoughtful questions!
The DSS team

PS: the first 2 Q&A's are stored in the DSS lounge. This forum is only accessable by "active" DSS users. If you feel you should have access but don't, please message one of the Admins.

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by enola on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Oops. Moved to the right thread.

Last edited by Shrewsbury_Stars on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Please post your questions in the question thread. Otherwise they might get lost!
Thank you!

Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by enola on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm a relative newbie and can't access the previous rounds. Anybody care to tell me what the selection process is?
Ta!
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:25 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
I'm a relative newbie and can't access the previous rounds.  Anybody care to tell me what the selection process is?
Ta!
The Admins select around 20 questions from the submitted ones and send them to Brian. For the selection we try to choose the ones that cover the widest interest amongst the members here on DSS, sort out duplicates (similar questions) or combine them and also choose the original ones that will be fun for Brian to answer.

So generally, we try to put together the most interesting Q&A possible.

And of course as we are limited to max 20 that means that we have to make the cut somewhere. So questions that have already been answered by him in interviews etc, or that he referred to on his tumblr (e,g. About places he will tour) will most likely not be chosen.

However this brings me to an idea. We could do a poll for countries, where people would like Brian to tour.

Hope that all makes sense ...
And thank you for your note. Even though the selection process isn't explained in there we thought it's a good idea to temporarily move the first 2 Q&A sessions to a place where everyone has access to. Enjoy the read Smile

Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by enola on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:14 am

Thank you so much...that will keep me nicely occupied while I wait for this morning's presale!
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:13 am

Awesome news.
Back to top Go down
kellyB
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:32 pm

So, my question for Brian is this: Last years Crossroads show I went to was a super fun group sing-a-long with us just belting it out and probably all outta tune. Does it mess with ya at all, being in a more toned down environment? Just wonderin'? Can't wait to do it all again and stoked to hear what you've been up to.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:03 pm

kellyB wrote:
So, my question for Brian is this: Last years Crossroads show I went to was a super fun group sing-a-long with us just belting it out and probably all outta tune. Does it mess with ya at all, being in a more toned down environment? Just wonderin'? Can't wait to do it all again and stoked to hear what you've been up to.

Please post your question in the question's thread.
Thank you!

Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Quote :
I would say that “Full Moon Fever” by Tom Petty was the single biggest influence on my record

Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:09 pm

I was equally excited about the reference to the first three Springsteen records. To me, those records were made how records should be: with no thought to fashion, pleasing fans or critics or even being consistent with the 'band sound'. It was just a case of writing great songs and making them sound as good as possible.

I have a feeling this may be the exact same attitude that made The '59 Sound and Elsie two of my favourite records. If Brian can do anything even half as good as either of those, then I will be VERY happy!
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm glad Brian seems to have ignored any criticism of his writing about similar topics and characters and just written from his heart. That's when he's at his best. Get Hurt to me was him consciously trying to be different and it was my least favourite gaslight album. At the end of the day if he's happier doing what he wants then the music will mean more to him and us potentially. Judging by the best few MatZ songs being on it and the new ones we have heard debuted this is going to be a very good record. I'd love to see The Blues Mary and Italian Lightning on it even if only as bonus songs. I'm getting that its a 12 song record plus bonus songs... Awesome!

Thanks Brian for keeping us informed and answering the questions.

Last edited by Jerseyrain on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
The_River
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I hope Brian knows that if there's not a million fans of Get Hurt, some people like me think it's a crucial album, and probably one of my favorite. Some songs on Get Hurt, they are wonderful, and especially crafted for adulthood.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Glad somebody else loved it too! 😀
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:52 pm

thank you so much for taking time answering the questions.. it is always a pleasure to see that Brian takes time for his fans
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:10 am

Brian - thank you for sharing your thoughts behind the record. I am so excited and cannot wait to hear the songs. I am hoping to make it to Maine and Connecticut for the shows. If there is a chance you can come to the Boston area at some point as well, the Sinclair in Harvard Square/Cambridge is an awesome venue http://www.sinclaircambridge.com/. You can ask Cat Popper, I saw her with PussnBoots there. Whatever I can do to help make it happen Cool .
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Excited to hear he recorded a few of the MaTZ songs. Hoping Long Drives and Red Lights made it. I'd kind of be surprised if Red Lights wasn't one based on the subject matter sort of aligning with the album title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more   

Back to top Go down

Exclusive Q&A with Brian - round 3! PAINKILLERS and more
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1