A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Competition within band fandoms

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Competition within band fandoms   Thu May 21, 2015 12:16 am

Okay so... I guess this is kind of random, but is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a lot of really unnecessary and really vindictive competition among fans of particular bands? I really haven't noticed it among the Gaslight fandom, but for both the Goo Goo Dolls and the Replacements (the other two main fandoms I follow) there always seems to be a giant, unspoken about dick-measuring contest between the fans and it makes for a really poisonous atmosphere. Has anyone ever seen what I'm talking about in other places?

Like, the mats decided to cancel the Pittsburgh and Columbus shows that they had initially promised to make up, and naturally all of us who were planning on going to those shows are upset, but everyone else who got their shows are all like, "Quit whining! No wonder they don't wanna make these shows up! You have no respect for Paul and Tommy!" when all we're doing is being angry at the organization for breaking their promise. Then this one guy posted this obnoxious humblebrag about how thankful he was that he got to see them and even though he loves to "dump on Pittsburgh any chance [he] gets" he still feels sorry for us. Then this one woman called us losers for not having the means to travel to Amsterdam to see the festival shows and it's like... wow, good for fucking you, moneybags.

And then there's the cliquiness that happens, where people form groups of friends online and hang out together at shows, and if you're not a member of that clique and you try to be friends when you recognize them, they can't be bothered. Like when I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls last year at the stadium, I said hi to some girls I recognized from Absolute Goo and they looked at me like I was a piece of rotten meat.

I just don't understand why everybody in the god damn world is so obsessed with being THE BEST FAN OF THEM ALL because they traveled the most miles or what have you. I know we discussed it here a couple months ago in the "entitlement at shows" thread, and vying for better spots for similar stupid-ass reasons is one thing, but it seems like with these other fandoms, people are actively trying to put each other down and be elitist assholes simply they've been more fortunate in their concert-going careers. Like where does that come from? Why does anybody need to be better at something that's intended to unite people instead of tearing them apart? I mean, what is the freaking prize? I'm never going to date Brian Fallon, I'm never going to be a roadie for John Rzeznik, I'm never going to sing back up vocals for Paul Westerberg. Lofty dreams, yes, but they're never going to happen, and the number of shows I see and amount of disposable income in my bank account will never have any effect on that.

Sorry for the lengthy rambling, but I'm just so sick of all the vindictive shit on the internet among people who supposedly like and care about each other because of their mutual love of a band. Social media is the best and worst thing to ever happen to music fandom and it's just really sad.

Has anyone else noticed these trends, or am I the one who's crazy?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   Sat May 23, 2015 8:10 am

Rose1991 wrote:
Sorry for the lengthy rambling, but I'm just so sick of all the vindictive shit on the internet among people who supposedly like and care about each other because of their mutual love of a band. Social media is the best and worst thing to ever happen to music fandom and it's just really sad.

Quite rightly that's why you're here, because Gaslight fans generally don't go in for needless aggro. I think we can be proud of ourselves as fans, and I think the band acknowledge that.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 pm

I feel like you get this a little with Gaslight fans but not in an aggressive way. It's much more of subtle thing like people who hear you traveled from the state over and go "well I traveled from *blank* country". Which I think is unfortunately kind of an expected bare minimum with any passionate fandom. I'm just glad that all in all this fandom is pretty friendly and even with the light level of "competition" there's very little outright asshole kind of behavior.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
_rebekka_
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 am

This totally also happens with Gasligth fans. I didnt go to some gigs I had planned to go last year cause of other fans bullying me. Actually thats the reason I will probably not go to many more Gaslight gigs. Me posting this will probably start another shitstorm at me. Also the reason why I barely come here anylonger.
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Coming in late on this, but I'll add my 2 cents.

On the subject of bragging about going to gigs, people might be just really happy about it, not actively trying to rub everyone's faces in it. The internet being tone-deaf, I can see how that could be misconstrued.
I myself have never seen TGA in my own country, because they only came here once to a festival like 6 years ago. I don't think most people who live in the UK or in the States really realize what it's like to live someplace where no one comes to play, or if they do it's on an expensive festival filled with other bands you have no desire to see. So for me it's a big deal to go and see TGA, or whatever band it might be, especially being so far away from the rest of Europe, I can't even drive anywhere to see them.

I also think cliques are inevitable in any group, people don't even realize they're doing it.
However, that being bad enough to the point where you stop going to shows because of other fans, that's just terrible. I'm really sorry that happens, and I wish it didn't.
Back to top Go down
Sami
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:29 pm

cdala wrote:
Coming in late on this, but I'll add my 2 cents.

On the subject of bragging about going to gigs, people might be just really happy about it, not actively trying to rub everyone's faces in it. The internet being tone-deaf, I can see how that could be misconstrued.
I myself have never seen TGA in my own country, because they only came here once to a festival like 6 years ago. I don't think most people who live in the UK or in the States really realize what it's like to live someplace where no one comes to play, or if they do it's on an expensive festival filled with other bands you have no desire to see. So for me it's a big deal to go and see TGA, or whatever band it might be, especially being so far away from the rest of Europe, I can't even drive anywhere to see them.

I also think cliques are inevitable in any group, people don't even realize they're doing it.
However, that being bad enough to the point where you stop going to shows because of other fans, that's just terrible. I'm really sorry that happens, and I wish it didn't.

Then I come even later to give my 2 cents...because I agree a lot with you. Sometimes really pisses me off when people on a small island complain about a couple hours drive/bus/traintrip. For me IF some bands do come here its always at least an 2 hour trip. And "nobody" comes to Russia and between Sweden and Finland is the stupid sea. For example the last time Gaslight did a club show here was in 2010. Well we are a little bit luckier (than Portugal), because they have had 3 (overpriced) festivals after that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Competition within band fandoms   

Back to top Go down

Competition within band fandoms
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1