A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

London, 19 November 2014

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: London, 19 November 2014   Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 am

nothing like making a thread with nothing to say ... yet Very Happy

but we will by tomorrow night cheers

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
MarkC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Just back from the London show and if I had to sum it up in one word it would be Phenomenal. We were lucky enough to get 26 songs and I heard pretty much everything I wanted to. Have Mercy is a beautiful opener and the rest of the Set-List was awesome (Personal highlights were Blue Dahlia, Diamond Church Street Choir, Helter Skeleton, Sweet Morphine and Old Haunts).

If people are still considering whether or not they should see the Band on this tour just go for it because if the rest of the shows are even half as good as tonight's then you'll be in for a treat Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spc66
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: temp   Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 am

Fantastic show , Brian seemed well up for it and looked as though he really enjoyed it . Managed to get on the barrier to the left of Alex R and met some cool people throughout the day .The full band pre show was pretty cool and it didn't rain . Couldn't ask for a better day .
Back to top Go down
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 am

Amazing show. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves and the set list was unreal. They must have played more than half of Sink or Swim, Get Hurt and then all the best songs from the other records. I'm finding it really hard to find a song I wanted to hear that they didn't play. I didn't realise Alex was back on bass so that was a nice surprise too.

The no encore thing is great. An extra couple of songs is much better than a few minutes of waiting. And Have Mercy as the opener was a nice touch. It was a bit strange to start with something quiet but I was very happy they played it. It's one of my favourites on Get Hurt. The mood quickly changed when they followed it with The '59 Sound!
Back to top Go down
michaelphillips
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:54 am

Best show out of five I have been to I think - a lovely setlist (Angry Johnny with Bon Iver's Blood Bank snippet is bloody amazing, opening with Have Mercy is great, totally forgot how much I love Biloxi Parish), Alexandra Palace is a much nicer venue than I thought it might be, first time I've been there, Brian's banter was terrific - I wonder what Alex R has got him for Christmas?

What did they play at the pre-show spc66?

Back to top Go down
Spc66
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am

They played American Slang , Selected Poems , Underneath the Ground and Meet me by the Rivers Edge . Basically we we're let into the Soundcheck and then Brian took questions from everybody . He was on good form , especially telling us he was gonna dress the sound guy ( Marv I think) up in a football kit and put him on Full Kit Wankers .
Back to top Go down
Johnny 99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 am

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly I missed the start! That'll teach me for listening to info on the internet about what time they were going to come on!

Anyway, great show as always, highlights were Blue Dahlia, which just rocked, Here Comes My Man, Film Noir, 1000 Years and that new version of Great Expectations, brilliant.

Gutted they didn't do Dark Places or Rollin' and Tumblin', but then again they did Film Noir, which has always been one of my favourites.

My only gripe would be the amount of people around me talking during the songs. WTF? If you want to talk go to the pub, not to a concert.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 am

Set list:

1. Have Mercy
2. The '59 Sound
3. Handwritten
4. Old White Lincoln
5. 1,000 Years
6. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
7. Helter Skeleton
8. Blue Dahlia
9. 45
10. Underneath the Ground
11. 1930
12. Here Comes My Man
13. Film Noir
14. Selected Poems
15. Biloxi Parish
16. Angry Johnny and the Radio
17. Great Expectations
18. Old Haunts
19. Sweet Morphine
20. The Diamond Church Street Choir
21. Get Hurt
22. American Slang
23. Wooderson
24. We're Getting a Divorce, You Keep the Diner (added)
25. She Loves You
26. The Backseat

TheMagnificentDreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:51 am

That was the best birthday I've ever had. Day in London, hanging with Alex and then THAT set. What a show. Too exhausted to type anymore haha
Back to top Go down
TheMagnificentDreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am

Back to top Go down
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 am

Johnny 99 wrote:
Hi All,

My only gripe would be the amount of people around me talking during the songs. WTF? If you want to talk go to the pub, not to a concert.

I'm gonna guess you were somewhere near me because I had the same gripe. I'm fine with people having a good time but there were a couple of people beside me completely out of it and just pissing everyone else off. Didn't detract from the incredible show though.
Back to top Go down
Spc66
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Was one of them a girl wearing a red wooly hat by any chance ?
Back to top Go down
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Spc66 wrote:
Was one of them a girl wearing a red wooly hat by any chance ?

I don't think so. The problem near me was a guy so high he could barely stand up (something pretty strong for sure, it wasn't just weed or drink). Flicked a lit joint at a girl a few rows ahead at one point and then failed spectacularly at crowd surfing. There was a girl with him who was also quite bad but not sure about the red wooly hat.
Back to top Go down
Spc66
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 pm

There were 2 girls and 2 guys in the group with the red hat and they pushed their way to the front and just became a massive pain by throwing themselves into people , screaming at each other and throwing beer over everyone . They really pissed off the couple behind me and got told to clear off . I expect to get pushed about and get a bit battered down the front but when people go out of their way to be a nuisance it just pisses me off . They thankfully only appeared for the last 4 songs , other than that the crowd around me was superb .
Back to top Go down
kjakm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:10 pm

I could have been the same group actually because security chased them out of our area a few songs from the end. Nothing worse that people who are just there to ruin everyone's good time. Especially when you've stood at the front for hours waiting and they push their way in at the last minute.

Tbh nothing could have spoiled that show last night though, I still can't get over how good the set list was!
Back to top Go down
Spc66
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:14 pm

You're right it was superb , it was by far the best time I've seen them play .
Hopefully they'll be back soon .
At the pre show they said they were going to be in Ireland in June so maybe there's a few more dates in England aswell .
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:00 pm

A great set list and a fine performance.  Brian seemed genuinely thrilled by the reaction and size of the crowd, as well as by the venue.  Everyone was on form, band and crowd alike, and the lights looked great.  Opening with a candle and 'Have Mercy' was stunning.

On the downside, being at the front, I could have done without the moshing (see the Amsterdam debate), which even extended to a circle pit; crowdsurfing wise, one guy even got thrown.  At one point I was actually hoping Brian might say something.  It was at its worst, for me at least, during '1930', which ruined that song.  But hey, I guess I can stand further back (though not that far back that I end up near the chatters by the bar ...).

The rest of my photos are at http://gaslightanthem.org/london2014.htm

Last edited by steady now steady now on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:34 pm

there was a blonde girl who kept trying to push her way to the front but the girls beside me were having none of it! i thought they were gonna deck her.

anyway that was the first time i travelled to another country for a concert and my first time in london and i was not disappointed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 am

I can only agree with everything that has been said so far, it was a great gig in an amazing venue. I loved the setlist and the band seemed to have a lot of fun playing their biggest European headline gig to date. What was a bit different ton our side (front Alex L. side) though was the perception of the crowd. I found it even a bit too quiet for my taste. But all in all fantastic gig, not up there with Vienna for me but still fantastic!

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:38 am

Its been a great tour, roll on the weekend . Not a massive fan of them doing covers but War Pigs would go down really well in Birmingham .
Back to top Go down
The Boxer
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:25 am

Venue was fantastic IMO - never been to Alexandra Palace before but it was really good.

Very much enjoyed the concert - a few songs that I love were missing (Senor and the Queen, Rollin' and Tumbling, Navesink Banks etc) but that can't be helped. I think (new album aside) that I have heard all of them live at some point. I just love the constant variety in set that they always bring. The versions of Great Expectations and She Loves you were superb.

It was my girlfriend's first TGA gig as well - was very surprised by just how much she enjoyed it

On the crowd thing - are gaslight really the sort of band to mosh to?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm

enola wrote:
I can only agree with everything that has been said so far, it was a great gig in an amazing venue. I loved the setlist and the band seemed to have a lot of fun playing their biggest European headline gig to date. What was a bit different ton our side (front Alex L. side) though was the perception of the crowd. I found it even a bit too quiet for my taste. But all in all fantastic gig, not up there with Vienna for me but still fantastic!
i think i'm gonna make sure i stand next to you next time as i didn't get to dance around quite as much as i did in dublin jocolor
Back to top Go down
Hasler09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:53 am

Did any of you guys grab the poster ? I was debating (god knows why) getting it but so glad I did. Gig was amazing. When they played Old White Lincoln, 1000 years and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues in a row I was so happy, the whole set was incredible. Went to Birmingham too which was also incredible. Loved the pre-show. Congrats to the guys who got engaged BTW and for Brian to then play She Loves You after was a great touch.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Labhras wrote:
enola wrote:
i think i'm gonna make sure i stand next to you next time as i didn't get to dance around quite as much as i did in dublin jocolor

You better do that! We had a lot of fun afro flower jocolor

Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Some videos from London

Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London, 19 November 2014   

Back to top Go down

London, 19 November 2014
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next