A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bradleyjp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 34
Join date : 2014-06-16
Age : 30
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:28 pm

That's was tough to watch.

Brian, vocally, was off. The backing vocals were trash. Levels were garbage. No energy at all.
Back to top Go down
http://bradleyjp.me
mja271
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 116
Join date : 2014-01-05

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Alex's backup vocals are literally the most tone deaf, worst I've ever heard from a professional band. Just terrible. Other than that I thought it was pretty good, I personally like the strings for a little change. I'm not a fan of the way Brian has sounded live the last year or so though and this sort of continues with that, but he doesn't do anything particular bad and stays in his range for most of the performance.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Edmonton, AB

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:10 am

was expecting a lot worse since i read these comments first haha.

strings sounded nice, but i feel like they could've been better.

for all the talk about the guys improving their backing vocals, alex L sounded better back in the day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkBLZk_EXI

but it's just one performance, i'm sure he'll do better next time  Smile
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 669
Join date : 2011-05-27
Age : 21
Location : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Fuck, you lot are a weird bunch. First all the love for 1,000 years and then a bunch of hate for this. I'll never understand any of you.
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 209
Join date : 2012-12-16
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Fuck, you lot are a weird bunch. First all the love for 1,000 years and then a bunch of hate for this. I'll never understand any of you.

Hahah this post wins all the awards.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 606
Join date : 2010-08-05
Age : 31
Location : scottsdale, arizona

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm

cdala wrote:
The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Fuck, you lot are a weird bunch. First all the love for 1,000 years and then a bunch of hate for this. I'll never understand any of you.

Hahah this post wins all the awards.  cheers 

 lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 59
Join date : 2014-06-18
Age : 24
Location : Clifton Park, NY

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

This performance makes me indescribably happy.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 am

MKULTRA wrote:
was expecting a lot worse since i read these comments first haha.

strings sounded nice, but i feel like they could've been better.

for all the talk about the guys improving their backing vocals, alex L sounded better back in the day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkBLZk_EXI

but it's just one performance, i'm sure he'll do better next time  Smile

Huh? That sounds awful too. He just can't sing, plain and simple. And it's very unfortunate they don't have a good backing vocalist in the band. It would make them that much better live (and in the studio as well).

Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Edmonton, AB

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:31 am

Jack wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:
was expecting a lot worse since i read these comments first haha.

strings sounded nice, but i feel like they could've been better.

for all the talk about the guys improving their backing vocals, alex L sounded better back in the day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkBLZk_EXI

but it's just one performance, i'm sure he'll do better next time  Smile

Huh? That sounds awful too. He just can't sing, plain and simple. And it's very unfortunate they don't have a good backing vocalist in the band. It would make them that much better live (and in the studio as well).


Yeah he doesn't sound good, but I still think he sounds better there. And I know it's a faster/easier part.

Totally agree with the other stuff you said. Some stuff about gaslight is kinda frustrating.

Anybody remember when they tried Benny on backing vox?  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 107
Join date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 am

The echo here is incredible. They have played live! Rock music is not perfect in those moments.
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Alex R isn't terrible, but he's so busy doing other stuff that it's really not practical for him to sing live, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-08-21

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm

That was phenomenal.

Then again, I've never liked nitpicking over stuff like background singing abilities in a band. Sure, Alex's vocals were pretty bad--but that sure as hell won't ruin it for me. Give me the perfection in the studio and leave live performances unpolished and raw.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-05-18
Age : 30
Location : Buenos Aires

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am

Ian can sing and he's interested in doing it, so he should def train and step up to it.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6693
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
That was phenomenal.

Then again, I've never liked nitpicking over stuff like background singing abilities in a band. Sure, Alex's vocals were pretty bad--but that sure as hell won't ruin it for me. Give me the perfection in the studio and leave live performances unpolished and raw.
Unpolished and raw...as in unrehearsed and bad?
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-08-21

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Harbortown wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
That was phenomenal.

Then again, I've never liked nitpicking over stuff like background singing abilities in a band. Sure, Alex's vocals were pretty bad--but that sure as hell won't ruin it for me. Give me the perfection in the studio and leave live performances unpolished and raw.
Unpolished and raw...as in unrehearsed and bad?

Call it what you will, but if I want a well-oiled machine, I'll tune in to a U2 performance. Gaslight is a punk band after all.
Back to top Go down
tigerstrom29
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2014-04-27

PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, mixed feelings about that. Great to hear their new songs live but sure..it wasn't their best performance. I think everything has been said about Alex L's singing abilities, but damn..that was a grungy bass-sound and he has really developed as a bass player.
Alex R is still unpredictable as f*ck, now he doesn't just play wicked guitar parts, he plays two instruments at the same time haha!
And as I predicted when I heard the album for the first time, some parts are too tough for Brian and he's pushing himself a little too much.
But overall I think it was a good performance, they have really matured as a band. I still think that 'Sink or Swim' is their best album but I've always been positive when bands takes new directions, but still contains that "core" that makes that band so special. Which I think Gaslight has managed to do, and they do it really good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)   

Back to top Go down
 
TGA on Letterman tonight (Aug. 18)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Senior Political figure will be outed TONIGHT on BBC
» Mccanns watching tv tonight !
» Jenna McDougall (Tonight Alive)
» channel SIC tonight.
» Tonight's The Night

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: