A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:58 pm

(I haven't read any posts yet in this thread)

I don't like this sound, and after first run through , I don't like this album.

To me, it sounds like an album full of lyrically and melodically depressed b-sides. I'm happy the band wanted to change and it won't effect my love or support for them. But this album isn't for me. I do however hope many of you like it. Just not for me!
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:01 pm

SouthJerseyTGA wrote:
(I haven't read any posts yet in this thread)

I don't like this sound, and after first run through , I don't like this album.

To me, it sounds like an album full of lyrically and melodically depressed b-sides. I'm happy the band wanted to change and it won't effect my love or support for them. But this album isn't for me. I do however hope many of you like it. Just not for me!
i disagree, but appreciate that you just aren't talking out your ass and being rational
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 pm

yeah, the only tune that really stuck out for me was 1000 years.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I like that there are plenty of effects everywhere. It does sound really 80's in a way. All in all it's good for me.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 pm

sinkorswimmydear wrote:

and what i think about the people saying they dont like it, thats okay, but dont forget there never will be a sinkorswim 2 or the 59 sound 2, this band is growing, and get hurt is the next step, wheter you like it or not...

1) I'm glad we have your approval.

2) Why do you assume we don't like it because it doesn't sound like their previous work? Not about being different, about not being enjoyable.

3) Thanks for letting us know Get Hurt is the next step, and that our preference can't control that.

4) This is actually the strangest comment I've seen on this thread so far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Get Hurt was an incredibly perfect title for this album.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:41 pm

"if i thought it would help i would carve your name into my heart"

love that line.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Dark Places. Kinda gets me real low.
Back to top Go down
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:49 pm

As I said, I don't like it. It's not for me, and and it's not for everyone. Same can be said for every band and every album. But I hope you guys enjoy it.

That said someone should keep an eye on Brian because my man is depressed.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:53 pm

SouthJerseyTGA wrote:
As I said, I don't like it. It's not for me, and and it's not for everyone. Same can be said for every band and every album. But I hope you guys enjoy it.

That said someone should keep an eye on Brian because my man is depressed.

He doesn't seem the best does he? And thats why i think this is difficult to listen to. It's like hearing Elliot Smith retrospectively.
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm

jzancan wrote:
sinkorswimmydear wrote:

and what i think about the people saying they dont like it, thats okay, but dont forget there never will be a sinkorswim 2 or the 59 sound 2, this band is growing, and get hurt is the next step, wheter you like it or not...

2) Why do you assume we don't like it because it doesn't sound like their previous work?  Not about being different, about not being enjoyable.

3) Thanks for letting us know Get Hurt is the next step, and that our preference can't control that.

this is my opinion, and i dont know whats your problem? you had expectations, right ? whats your favourite tga record ? i think it's different too, so at least we have this in common...
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:05 pm

sinkorswimmydear wrote:
jzancan wrote:
sinkorswimmydear wrote:

2) Why do you assume we don't like it because it doesn't sound like their previous work?  Not about being different, about not being enjoyable.

this is my opinion, and i dont know whats your problem? you had expectations, right ? whats your favourite tga record ? i think it's different too, so at least we have this in common...

It was condescending.
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm

okay. thats an answer. i am sorry for that. maybe you like the record more after listening to it a week or so, i dont know. just maybe  Smile or did you ment your statement ? i dont know, so just peace !
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Still liking it, though I see why many of you are walking away from it... It barely sounds like TGA anymore. But as I read above, it's probably not for everyone, just as no other record is either.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:15 pm

riversedge wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of Dark Places. Kinda gets me real low.

yeah that stuff about crashing the car just kind of made me uncomfortable. but art does that sometimes i guess.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:19 pm

3 songs in, alex L's bass playing has seriously leveled up. some tasty ass licks on this album
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:20 pm

ivienco wrote:
Still liking it, though I see why many of you are walking away from it... It barely sounds like TGA anymore.

haha yeah i wasn't thinking that as i was listening but then i put on Senor and the Queen and thought WHOA thats different.

Alex R's role has changed the most, i think.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm

OK - I'll admit it since nobody else seems to want to. I thoroughly enjoyed Mama's Boy.

/runs and hides
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 pm

I've listened on repeat 3 times and so far there really isn't anything I want to skip over or hurry up and be done with so I can hear the next track.

I think this is solid but is more in line with the other music I listen to.  For whatever reason I feel like I have different taste in music than most TGA fans, especially those in their 20s and younger.

I really think this is a step forward in them growing as a band to be honest.  I haven't had a lot of postive to say about the band since the Music Hall Williamsburg and Terminal 5 shows but I like this and feel encouraged.  (I just hope the PNC show doesn't crush all of that  Smile )

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:34 pm

jonnyz83 wrote:
OK - I'll admit it since nobody else seems to want to. I thoroughly enjoyed Mama's Boy.

/runs and hides

dude i love that track
Back to top Go down
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:35 pm

I've listened to it about 5 times now.
My girlfriend came home and sat down with me during Have Mercy.
Instantly my favourite song at the moment, can't understand why it's a b-side now
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:40 pm

sinkorswimmydear wrote:
maybe you like the record more after listening to it a week or so, i dont know. just maybe  Smile or did you ment your statement ?

Yeah, I cancelled my preorder. May seem really soon to do so (and it is), but after listening to it twice, there was no question. I know that sometimes you gotta let an album grow on you, but the process of doing so should be an enjoyable one, like breaking in a new pair of shoes or a leather chair, getting more and more comfortable as you experience it. But Get Hurt was a particularly bad listening experience both times, and I had no desire to do a third. I think most of us have enough of a relationship with music to know the albums we like, the ones that will grow, and the ones we don't need to spend any more time on. If I hate an album the first couple times I listen to it, I'm not going to force it. There's no fun in that.

Glad there are people that like it, and I hope the band does well with it, but I'm fine chalking it up as a loss in my book.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:42 pm

jonnyz83 wrote:

/runs and hides

Yeah, man, that's a great one. There's only a few from the record I like, but that's one of the tracks I love.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:44 pm

I may be the exception, but I like the transition in "Stay vicious".
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:45 pm

SirBrad wrote:
I've listened on repeat 3 times and so far there really isn't anything I want to skip over or hurry up and be done with so I can hear the next track.

I think this is solid but is more in line with the other music I listen to.  For whatever reason I feel like I have different taste in music than most TGA fans, especially those in their 20s and younger.

I really think this is a step forward in them growing as a band to be honest.  I haven't had a lot of postive to say about the band since the Music Hall Williamsburg and Terminal 5 shows but I like this and feel encouraged.  (I just hope the PNC show doesn't crush all of that  Smile )

Cheers!

i kinda feel that when I read the reviews and check most of the people here are 19-22, I thought it was just my imagination but maybe there is something else after all...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next