A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 am

Fucking fantastic. I don't get why everyone's taking issue with the dancing--it's supposed to look ridiculous and embarrassing and even painful to look at. Isn't that how you feel when you're heartbroken?
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 621
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 30
Location : Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 am

Not a fan of this song or the video at all. Wish they had gone with Rolling and tumbling if they were going to do a video.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 80
Join date : 2012-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 am

bringiton_ty wrote:
Not a fan of this song or the video at all. Wish they had gone with Rolling and tumbling if they were going to do a video.
They did
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 226
Join date : 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:14 am

^ did they? where?
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 517
Join date : 2012-12-19
Age : 21
Location : Southampton, England

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:39 am

borrowedcar wrote:
^ did they? where?

It's coming soon...they filmed it around the same time as Get Hurt I believe.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 226
Join date : 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am

oh nice, hopefully it is a bit less...odd...that video might have been cool for halloween Wink
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Has someone already mentioned that this was filmed at The Back Room Bar in NYC?

http://www.backroomnyc.com/the-backroom-bar






_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Keele
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 am

Awesome song and I love the look of the band playing in that location. Didn't see Ian in there. Kinda expected to. They may have needed to bring a hint more story for people to understand the scene in the bar and others dancing, but I thought the use of contemporary dance for "get hurt" feel was really cool and bold. Kind of a So You Think You Can Dance moment. A little weird...which was probably a goal.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 621
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 30
Location : Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:59 am

kappanera wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
Not a fan of this song or the video at all. Wish they had gone with Rolling and tumbling if they were going to do a video.
They did

well that makes me happy then Smile may not be a fan of the video but that bar looks amazing
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 226
Join date : 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Keele wrote:
Awesome song and I love the look of the band playing in that location. Didn't see Ian in there. Kinda expected to. They may have needed to bring a hint more story for people to understand the scene in the bar and others dancing, but I thought the use of contemporary dance for "get hurt" feel was really cool and bold. Kind of a So You Think You Can Dance moment. A  little weird...which was probably a goal.

i don't think ian is really a member past live stuff. the cover of handwritten made that pretty clear.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm

When the band is playing in a live "set up" in videos like Here Comes My Man and 45 he's there. There's also backstage shots of Ian in 45. I get not including him on the cover and all the press photos since he's an additional member, but he'll be there while they play live anyway. Maybe he just wasn't able to be present.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-05-18
Age : 30
Location : Buenos Aires

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am

Keele wrote:
When the band is playing in a live "set up" in videos like Here Comes My Man and 45 he's there. There's also backstage shots of Ian in 45. I get not including him on the cover and all the press photos since he's an additional member, but he'll be there while they play live anyway. Maybe he just wasn't able to be present.
Ian was in the UK when the band filmed these vids (both Get Hurt and Rollin & Tumblin) but it's been clearly stated that he is not IN the band, anyway. He's a good friend and they apreciate him playing with them and is a great asset to the band and all, but TGA are Brian, Benny, Alex R, and Alex L and thats not gonna change, apparently.

BTW I still don't know how to feel about the video. I agree with those who say the photography and directing are awesome, but it's got that "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" that makes me feel a bit depressed. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far I don't like it very much, even though the idea is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 226
Join date : 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 pm

tbh- i barely notice ian's parts but he definitely doesn't hurt the group
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:39 pm

ivienco wrote:


...BTW I still don't know how to feel about the video. I agree with those who say the photography and directing are awesome, but it's got that "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" that makes me feel a bit depressed. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far I don't like it very much, even though the idea is brilliant.

I curious about what aspect of it makes it seem like "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" to you? (Genuine question, not a snarky comment Smile) I actually thought the opposite. I mean, the video easily could've gotten out of hand and turned into this huge thing with way more dancers and crazy costumes, animals, etc. but it didn't. And no video is cheap, but in my limited experience I wouldn't think you need to have loads of money to make a video with what looked like fewer than 20 dancers, 1 lead dancer, 1 location, 1 ferret, over 1 shoot day. I don't know, but I would guess that the Handwritten video cost them more (several locations, I think 5? shoot days, 3+ actors with actual roles, props and costumes specific to another era). Although I don't know how expensive this director was compared to Kevin either.

Without numbers, I could be totally talking out of my ass here, but that's my "very limited knowledge" view on it.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2010-08-24
Location : London, UK / Vienna, Austria

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 am

I really like the video. It's dark, a bit edgy and almost alternative. The moment the dancing starts feels very powerful and I think it fits extremely well to the song.


_________________
Manuela
twitter / instagram / youtube / last.fm

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-05-18
Age : 30
Location : Buenos Aires

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
ivienco wrote:


...BTW I still don't know how to feel about the video. I agree with those who say the photography and directing are awesome, but it's got that "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" that makes me feel a bit depressed. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far I don't like it very much, even though the idea is brilliant.

I curious about what aspect of it makes it seem like "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" to you? (Genuine question, not a snarky comment Smile) I actually thought the opposite. I mean, the video easily could've gotten out of hand and turned into this huge thing with way more dancers and crazy costumes, animals, etc. but it didn't. And no video is cheap, but in my limited experience I wouldn't think you need to have loads of money to make a video with what looked like fewer than 20 dancers, 1 lead dancer, 1 location, 1 ferret, over 1 shoot day. I don't know, but I would guess that the Handwritten video cost them more (several locations, I think 5? shoot days, 3+ actors with actual roles, props and costumes specific to another era). Although I don't know how expensive this director was compared to Kevin either.

Without numbers, I could be totally talking out of my ass here, but that's my "very limited knowledge" view on it.

Handwritten may have cost more (not sure though) because a short movie was also made, but I'm betting all those dancers cost more than the three or four actors that are in Handwritten.
It's got the feel to it, is all. Like Handwritten and Here Comes My Man were probably on the same track but don't feel like it. I honestly don't know how to explain it. I'll probably end up liking it anyway hahah but I feel that though the idea of the dancers expressing hurt was completely awesome, somehow they're on the verge of looking ridiculous. Again, since this is art it's how I feel about it and you may feel it's awesome because it's saying something to you that it's somehow not saying to me. I'll watch it a few more times and come back to it to tell you if I still feel like this Smile
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm

ivienco wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
ivienco wrote:


...BTW I still don't know how to feel about the video. I agree with those who say the photography and directing are awesome, but it's got that "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" that makes me feel a bit depressed. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far I don't like it very much, even though the idea is brilliant.

I curious about what aspect of it makes it seem like "we're a big band backed up by a company with loads of money to promote us" to you? (Genuine question, not a snarky comment Smile) I actually thought the opposite. I mean, the video easily could've gotten out of hand and turned into this huge thing with way more dancers and crazy costumes, animals, etc. but it didn't. And no video is cheap, but in my limited experience I wouldn't think you need to have loads of money to make a video with what looked like fewer than 20 dancers, 1 lead dancer, 1 location, 1 ferret, over 1 shoot day. I don't know, but I would guess that the Handwritten video cost them more (several locations, I think 5? shoot days, 3+ actors with actual roles, props and costumes specific to another era). Although I don't know how expensive this director was compared to Kevin either.

Without numbers, I could be totally talking out of my ass here, but that's my "very limited knowledge" view on it.

Handwritten may have cost more (not sure though) because a short movie was also made, but I'm betting all those dancers cost more than the three or four actors that are in Handwritten.
It's got the feel to it, is all. Like Handwritten and Here Comes My Man were probably on the same track but don't feel like it. I honestly don't know how to explain it. I'll probably end up liking it anyway hahah but I feel that though the idea of the dancers expressing hurt was completely awesome, somehow they're on the verge of looking ridiculous. Again, since this is art it's how I feel about it and you may feel it's awesome because it's saying something to you that it's somehow not saying to me. I'll watch it a few more times and come back to it to tell you if I still feel like this Smile

Well like I said, I don't know, but the props and more importantly more locations and more shoot days are what would make HW potentially more expensive (not the actors). But since they shot the film at the same time, it's a little harder to know what cost what, or how much time was spent on what, you're right there. Point is, I don't get the impression at all that Get Hurt was a whole league above the HW videos in terms of cost.

And of course you are entitled to your opinion! haha. I was just questioning why you felt the video seemed especially pricy. Not why you simply didn't like it. To each his own in that regard.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)   

Back to top Go down
 
'Get Hurt' music video Discussion. (Out Now)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» YouTube and Online Videos
» Weldar's Video Game Music Quiz
» VIDEO - McCann Investigation: Every Picture Tells a Story....
» Misheard Music Lyrics
» VIDEO - McCanns on ITV LORRAINE May 2nd 2012

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem Sounds & Interviews & Pics :: Video-
Jump to: