A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:37 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
First pass.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning
Sometimes I dream some more
I keep my wounds without a bandage, baby
As I come stumblin' through the door

ahem, why not just check the lyrics thread at http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/t5490-get-hurt-song-lyrics

Oops, sorry! Didn't see it, my bad.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Christophe wrote:
'2010's Handwritten' very good Rolling Stone  Clap 

hahaha. It's really sad how frequently stupid mistakes like this pop up in articles on this band. I'm pretty sure that when Handwritten came out, some article called it the band's THIRD LP. Have writers gotten THAT lazy, that they can't even do a simple google search to fact check their own articles?

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:51 pm

I just listened and I love it. It's great complement next to Rollin' and Tumblin' because they sound so different from each other.  
This just made the start of the holiday weekend even better.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 pm

I was really hoping it would be higher quality than it is. I want to hear this song in the best way possible.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 pm

zerb012345 wrote:
I was really hoping it would be higher quality than it is. I want to hear this song in the best way possible.

I found at least two different links when this leaked, and both sounded better than this. I'm not sure what to make of that?

Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

I found at least two different links when this leaked, and both sounded better than this. I'm not sure what to make of that?

Yeah the one I have on my iPod is way better, and I'm using the same headphones. Hopefully it gets out on iTunes soon. I guess the whole album is mastered for iTunes so it should sound pretty good as a whole.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:39 am

OK I admit I am weak. I gave in to the temptation and the pressure from the outside and listened to it. And OMG that song is fantastic! Can't wait for the album now!

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:04 am

Also Get Hurt is now on the official Gaslight VEVO youtube channel:

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Vanderlyle Geek
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:45 am

Goosebumps, utterly brilliant song
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 am

It's most certainly one of my favorite songs both from the band and in general.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Great friggen song...
Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:20 pm

To me the song doesn't sound much different than what they have released before, it reminds me of blue jeans and white t shirts, We did this when we were young, Even Cowgirls get the blues, they have done slow songs before on their albums like the ones I mentioned, I don't really hear a big difference in terms of sound except for the little noise which could be a synthesizer when Alex sings Get Hurt after Brian sings it first. I wonder how different this album is really going to be because from the 2 songs Rolling and Tumblin and Get Hurt they sound like regular Gaslight Anthem style songs, I am really interested to hear the rest of the record.
Back to top Go down
Andy_
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:51 am

If the rest of the album is as good as these 2 songs Ill love it Smile
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 am

So if you pre ordered the vinyl, check your email. I got a download link for Get Hurt.
It's also up on iTunes.
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am

23Punk wrote:

To me the song doesn't sound much different than what they have released before, it reminds me of blue jeans and white t shirts, We did this when we were young, Even Cowgirls get the blues, they have done slow songs before on their albums like the ones I mentioned, I don't really hear a big difference in terms of sound except for the little noise which could be a synthesizer when Alex sings Get Hurt after Brian sings it first. I wonder how different this album is really going to be because from the 2 songs Rolling and Tumblin and Get Hurt they sound like regular Gaslight Anthem style songs, I am really interested to hear the rest of the record.

While they have indeed done many slow songs I think Get Hurt has a slightly more...effervescent quality in terms of the music. It makes me sad that you feel discouraged from listening to the new albumn because maybe it's not different enough for you? 

I think being a musician must be so difficult....because you have to walk this fine line between achieving new sounds but not alienating the people that love you...you see it time and time again with bands....appreciate what they're putting out there, their music has indeed changed in ways maybe not as much as some would like, but in their own natural way.
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:45 am

Zerb thanks for the heads up! *rushes to itunes*
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

zerb012345 wrote:
So if you pre ordered the vinyl, check your email. I got a download link for Get Hurt.
It's also up on iTunes.

not in my inbox

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:
It's also up on iTunes.

not in my inbox

I think it depends on what version you ordered.
I THINK it came from the picture disc one, whoever My Play Direct is. I bought the splatter and the picture disc, so I don't know what came from what Razz

Back to top Go down
23Punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

I do appreciate what the band has done and I'm glad that they are releasing a new album my grudge about the whole thing is that so much stuff from a new album like Get Hurt for example gets leaked or streamed ahead of its release date. That bothers me because it takes away from a listener actually buying the record and being fully surprised by what the band has done. I only have heard 2 songs from the new album Rollin and Tumblin and Get Hurt, those songs to me don't hit me the same way The 59 Sound or Sink or Swim did. I get they are completely different albums and its no comparison, I wanted something that was going to hook me in like The 59 Sound and instantly surprise me, those songs didn't at all. The band said this album would be different this time around I know its only 2 songs but it sure doesn't sound different. I am still going to buy the record when it comes out in a few weeks. Hopefully the rest of the record is different and surprises me because with these 2 tracks I'm just not feeling it.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm

First pass.

Spend my nights in this location
Talkin' to spirits on the floor
I think I came to find a feeling, baby
Between what was mine and what was yours

And I came to get hurt
Might as well do your worst to me, yeah yeah
Have you come here to get her?
Have you come to take her away from me, from me, from me?
Might as well do your worst to me

I think I'm gonna move to California
Mama, can you say a prayer for me?
I heard they don't get so lowdown
I heard they never bleed, not like we bleed

I came to get hurt

And it gets pretty late and the stations will change
And the things once in order now seem so strange
One side could tell all the hurt apart from myself
Now all I can see is the need, the need

That I came to get hurt

And maybe you needed a change, and maybe I was in the way
Maybe some things they stay, and some things go away
And maybe I was me, and maybe you were not the same

I'm hearing "in dislocation" not "in this location"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
First pass.

Spend my nights in this location

I'm hearing "in dislocation" not "in this location"

The proper lyrics thread is over here in case you haven't seen it.
http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/t5490-get-hurt-song-lyrics

JacksSmirkingRevenge didn't realize that when he posted his version.

Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 am

I might be way off base on this, but ever since I heard this song for the first time I thought it was about alcoholism. Almost ever line makes sense to me when I look at it from that perspective.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am

^^
I think the lyrics are way too open-ended to draw that conclusion. There are literally hundreds of scenarios that the lyrics could apply to (such as a break-up, etc.). That's not to belittle your interpretation. I'm just saying I don't find it very persuasive.
Back to top Go down
mvw
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 pm

Wow! It really is amazing how much this song gets better and better the more you hear it. True testimony of a great song. Can't wait for this album!!!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
^^
I think the lyrics are way too open-ended to draw that conclusion. There are literally hundreds of scenarios that the lyrics could apply to (such as a break-up, etc.). That's not to belittle your interpretation. I'm just saying I don't find it very persuasive.

The presence of substance abuse as a theme is pretty clear in both Get hurt and Rollin' and Tumblin', specifically after a break-up. Undeniably.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )   

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' song discussion (Premiered on Rolling Stone )
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next