A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 "Handwritten" acoustic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 5614
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 26
Location : Pennsylvania-The land of the Three Rivers.

PostSubject: "Handwritten" acoustic   Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 785
Join date : 2009-11-22
Age : 28
Location : Stockholm, Sweden

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 pm

I think this is my favorite acoustic version of the songs from Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Every once in a while Brian does a phenomenal acoustic version of a Gaslight song. This is one of those times.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 519
Join date : 2012-12-19
Age : 22
Location : Southampton, England

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Tue May 14, 2013 3:36 pm

I always get like a little schoolgirl when there is a new Fallon acoustic Very Happy thanks.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1953
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 24
Location : The Dreaded Barbary Coast

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm

ThisMachineKillsFascists wrote:
I think this is my favorite acoustic version of the songs from Handwritten.

agree
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 931
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 32
Location : Wigan, England

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am

Good Find
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6719
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Wed May 15, 2013 8:15 am

In my honest opinion, Brian hasn't done a single decent acoustic performance for a long time. His voice sounds really shaky and insecure, like he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Wed May 15, 2013 8:37 am

Harbortown wrote:
In my honest opinion, Brian hasn't done a single decent acoustic performance for a long time. His voice sounds really shaky and insecure, like he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

I've been as critical as anyone on here, but I am absolutely shocked you don't find this to be anything less than a great performance.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 197
Join date : 2010-04-19
Location : Crofton, Maryland

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm sort of "eh" about this. Performance-wise, it was awesome--his voice sounded great, and I liked what he did with the fingerpicking--but I thought the pacing made it kinda boring. It's not an interesting enough song, lyrically, to be that slow.

Also, since we're on the subject, I like most of his acoustic performances. I believe someone above in this thread mentioned his voice during acoustic sessions is most times shaky, like he isn't sure what to do with it. While that is 100% true, I actually like those scratched-up-vocals acoustic performances. Even though I admit there are times when it gets out of hand, there are more times for me where it works.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1983
Join date : 2009-07-03
Age : 26
Location : Columbia, Missouri

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

It's weird how they cut in shots from another performance.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6719
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 3:13 am

Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
In my honest opinion, Brian hasn't done a single decent acoustic performance for a long time. His voice sounds really shaky and insecure, like he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

I've been as critical as anyone on here, but I am absolutely shocked you don't find this to be anything less than a great performance.
I hold him to a higher standard than this.

Guitar playing's sloppy, singing's mediocre.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1953
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 24
Location : The Dreaded Barbary Coast

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 am


Compare to this. Almost undisputedly the best one
Back to top Go down
GuitarMike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-08-01

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 am

I still think his best acoustic performances was when he did The American Slang ones, but of course The Revival Tour too. It feels like he's not prepared when he does acoustics now a days.

simo wrote:
It's weird how they cut in shots from another performance.

Its the Gibson Showroom performance. Theres videos of it on Youtube, including a acoustic version of Keepsake.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 am

Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
In my honest opinion, Brian hasn't done a single decent acoustic performance for a long time. His voice sounds really shaky and insecure, like he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

I've been as critical as anyone on here, but I am absolutely shocked you don't find this to be anything less than a great performance.
I hold him to a higher standard than this.

Guitar playing's sloppy, singing's mediocre.

Ehhhh his guitar playing is almost always sloppy. I really like his voice here. Then again I like when he sings in his quavering low register. That shaky quality doesn't bother me as long as he doesn't start singing high and wispy and attempting vocal runs he can't pull off.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6719
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:

Compare to this. Almost undisputedly the best one
AMEN
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Generally speaking all my favorite Brian acoustic performances are the ones he did for The '59 Sound. So much emotion and he barely brings his voice above a whisper for most of them.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6719
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Jack wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
In my honest opinion, Brian hasn't done a single decent acoustic performance for a long time. His voice sounds really shaky and insecure, like he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

I've been as critical as anyone on here, but I am absolutely shocked you don't find this to be anything less than a great performance.
I hold him to a higher standard than this.

Guitar playing's sloppy, singing's mediocre.

Ehhhh his guitar playing is almost always sloppy. I really like his voice here. Then again I like when he sings in his quavering low register. That shaky quality doesn't bother me as long as he doesn't start singing high and wispy and attempting vocal runs he can't pull off.
Indeed, the high and wispy thing is also a problem.

Thing about this performance though is he doesn't seem to be in control of his voice even in the lower range, which should be a piece of cake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: "Handwritten" acoustic   

Back to top Go down
 
"Handwritten" acoustic
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Casey's Handwritten Letters Released 4/06/10
» JK Rowling is generous--but not to the McCanns any more

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem Sounds & Interviews & Pics :: Video-
Jump to: