A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Denver had the drunk version of Brian this past Monday night. After seeing 6 previous Gaslight shows (with the non-drinking version of Brian), I have to say, it was one of the better performances I've seen from Brian. He was unguarded, funny, having a good time, stumbling around (he seemed to be channeling a drunk Eddie Vedder with loads of Eddie's mannerisms). As entertaining as it was It kinda bummed me out at the same time. I don't know why.

Commence the comments of "he's young...he's a rock star having a good time." Still seemed like there was something "off" about it
Back to top Go down
GuitarMike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

How come people are so focused on wether Brian drinks or not? If he likes alcohol, let be it. We all like a drink once in a while dont we?
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Is everyone on this forum a fucking mormon?
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

GuitarMike wrote:
How come people are so focused on wether Brian drinks or not? If he likes alcohol, let be it. We all like a drink once in a while dont we?

what he does in his spare time? sure no one is going to really care about that.

but when he is on stage and performing? Its totally reasonable to expect him to behave in a professional manner. Most of use like a drink once in a while -- that doesn't mean we show up to work drunk.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

A_Regular wrote:

Nah- it's just that in the past, Brian's made a point of talking about how he purposefully doesn't drink (or at least doesn't drink to the point where he gets drunk). So the new habit is raising some eyebrows. But really, who knows what's up.
Back to top Go down
GuitarMike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm

It doesn't sound like the drinking had an influence on his playing. That's fine by me. If he couldn't perform, it would be very irresponsible of him.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Last edited by greasylake on Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 pm

A_Regular wrote:

haha, nice.

playing drunk is so much more fun, I do it all the time. playing sober is bumming me out
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I think everyone is just use to the 'good guy' Brian, it just seems weird that's all. So long as he can still play, entertain and send people home happy then I really don't care at all.
Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 pm

A_Regular wrote:

Ha ha ha...I'll summarize this in terms so you understand it better. He was a sloppy drunk (literally stumbled out onto stage). He was a cheap rip off of Eddie Vedder (gun to the head moves included). The dude looks like shit. He's over weight, bloated and needs a fucking shower. Seems like a drastic change over the last 6 months. Invested fans give a shit and don't wait for the candle to burn out before we talk about the downward spiral.

Ah ha...guess I needed a nudge from your comment to figure it out
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Clementine wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

Ha ha ha...I'll summarize this in terms so you understand it better. He was a sloppy drunk (literally stumbled out onto stage). He was a cheap rip off of Eddie Vedder (gun to the head moves included). The dude looks like shit. He's over weight, bloated and needs a fucking shower. Seems like a drastic change over the last 6 months. Invested fans give a shit and don't wait for the candle to burn out before we talk about the downward spiral.

Ah ha...guess I needed a nudge from a douche comment to figure it out

I think you misread his comment. He said mormon (as in the religion) not moron. You description worries me a bit. And I agree with your last comment. There's a fine line between getting too involved in his business and just being a concerned fan, but you're right, invested fans do give a shit.

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

It's just that in the past, Brian's made a point of talking about how he purposefully doesn't drink (or at least doesn't drink to the point where he gets drunk). So the new habit is raising some eyebrows. But really, who knows what's up.

I agree with this. It's not so much about him drinking, it's more about him making a noticeable change in behavior. Hopefully he's okay and just trying something new. Time will tell.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes. Exactly. It's too noticeable. Honestly, if he wasn't stumbling around on stage I'd have thought less of it.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Clementine wrote:

Yes. Exactly. It's too noticeable. Honestly, if he wasn't stumbling around on stage I'd have thought less of it.

I was just wondering how the band reacted to it, were they just normal and didnt care?
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Clementine wrote:

But you also said it was a better performance
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 pm

This article basically says the same thing http://www.examiner.com/article/the-gaslight-anthem-burns-bright-denver

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 pm

He's Irish American. It was destined to happen.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Harbortown wrote:
He's Irish American. It was destined to happen.

lol!

Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 5:07 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
This article basically says the same thing http://www.examiner.com/article/the-gaslight-anthem-burns-bright-denver

Thanks for the find on the article...

The rest of the band seemed unamused. Granted it was the last performance of this leg of the tour - but he seemed to be the only one celebrating to that extent.

Back to top Go down
mercedesberg
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Brian's going through some shit...it doesn't take a genius to figure out. His behavior change isn't alcohol - no one talks about life changing events?
Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm

mercedesberg wrote:
Brian's going through some shit...it doesn't take a genius to figure out. His behavior change isn't alcohol - no one talks about life changing events?

You're correct....he's going through some heavy stuff. I'm not a pollyanna who cares if someone is drunk. Knowing that he's having a tough time and it was brought on stage and played off as festive is what bummed me out. He's seems like an overall nice guy.....I found myself feeling bad for him, up there, trying to play the drunk rock star.

Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 pm

A_Regular wrote:
'

no need to be so antagonistic. i think the whole point is about an apparent change in his behavior, the (alleged) drinking may be the obvious scapegoat, but no one's talking about whether or not he "should" drink. sheesh.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Clementine wrote:
mercedesberg wrote:

You're correct....he's going through some heavy stuff. I'm not a pollyanna who cares if someone is drunk. Knowing that he's having a tough time and it was brought on stage and played off as festive is what bummed me out. He's seems like an overall nice guy.....I found myself feeling bad for him, up there, trying to play the drunk rock star.

Idk if he was "trying to play the drunk rock star" necessarily. Being on stage is probably the best release for him from whatever's bothering him, but maybe he can't keep whatever stuff it is from infiltrating his thoughts while he's up there, so he's using a bit of alcohol to help him relax enough to keep his mind on the show and not elsewhere. Just a theory, but I don't think it's about creating that image of being a drunk rock star.

Or maybe he's just decided being drunk on stage is fun? You never know. Smile (wishful thinking)

Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Clementine wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

Ah ha...guess I needed a nudge from your comment to figure it out

Well, that discussion takes place on a very personal level; so I don't wanna speculate too much.

Didn't notice a really drastic change in the last months. I mean, when I saw them last month Brian was drinking too (I even think he drank a few times at shows before), but he didn't act out of control anyway. His guitar playing was pretty good if you ask me (I'm not a guitar player, but at least that's what I thnk after seeing many performances), I rather have the impression that it got more accurate since the last time I had seen 'em, never thought it was a mess or anything like that.

It doesn't take you a lot to find out that there is some new situation/change for Brian...his words on the solo-record website indicated that while saying " Iíve had some really amazing things happen and some really terrible things in the last couple months. Iím definitely on a new page, and I have to start there. "..

But saying he looked like "shit" is an eggeration if you ask me. I don't think he's become fat or overweighted, maybe he got a few kilos more - but there's not that much of a drastic change recognizable. That's why I'd still say it's Brian's life and if he's okay with that - who cares? Also noticed that he didn't cut his hair for a longer time, but he had thatlong hair before the album release of Handwritten too..I wouldn't consider that as drastic. Wink

I appreciate that you really care about the band and that you are worried, not that "many" fans do that. But I also think (as Shelby said), that time will clear things up and that the situation is not that serious. It's Brian's personal thing 'til now. So we shouldn't get involved too much, if noone asks for us do that. I think Brian has enough people who really care about him/who have a closer relationship, and who would help him to solve problems (if there might be some) - don't think that's our task Wink

Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 am

I think the larger issue at hand here is that Brian used to be so outspoken about not drinking.

He was very clear that he was religious, did not drink and did not use profanity....

I am worried about him and I do think it is serious....

The person we are seeing now is a complete 180 from who he used to be...

I saw Brian as an idol, someone I wished I could emulate.... Now, I'd be embarassed if I acted like him....

In the last year or so he's changed from someone I completely respected to someone I don't respect much at all....
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Thu May 02, 2013 4:33 am

it is rather troubling. the fact that his personality has changed so much just shows that he's going through some shit. i'm confident he'll be able to keep it together though. not tryna witness another BJ Armstrong situation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   

Back to top Go down

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next