A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Recording/practice space tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Recording/practice space tips   Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, I am planning to turn my basement into a practice space due to unfortunate circumstances having affected my band (lost our practice space due to a fire in our drummer's basement, his drumset, his basement, and his interest). Well basically I started this thread to ask for general advice on how to set up a room to be a good practice space, and possibly do some rough recording. Any advice would be really welcome.
Back to top Go down
Paddy
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Recording/practice space tips   Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:17 pm

If you need to soundproof, egg carton sheets do the job cheaply. How you plan on recording will play into things too. Live recording, you may want to have a decent amount of space so sounds won't bleed over, depending on mic quality. Track by track, you don't have to worry about it all that much.

If you've got a laptop that will run it, which a lot of sound programs can be VERY taxing on sound cards and processors, you can just pick up a decent... $50? dollar mixer with enough inputs to suit your needs.

For the longest time, and this was almost 8 years ago now, me and my buddies had a setup of

Drums at back wall, guitar cab in one corner, bass cab in the other, and vocal mic center front. We had some old digital 8 track recorder, condenser mics on each cab, vocal mic running in too, obviously, and our drummer used the remaining inputs for his shit, fuck trying to even think about how we mic'd drums in some cheap rigged way, I hate drum micing. Condenser mics were probably $80 each, but a solid investment, 8 track our bassist had, but was $100 I think.

Worked fine for live recording practices and was pretty good quality.

If you've got a decent computer and some cash,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project-Recording-Interface-104626908-i1371793.gc

We had a friend back in the day that let us abuse the hell out of his. Ran it through cakewalk, and it was beautiful.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Recording/practice space tips   Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Thank you for your imput.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recording/practice space tips   

Back to top Go down

Recording/practice space tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top