A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Seems like Hold You Up isn't getting much love on here, so I guess I should throw it out there.

I fucking loved that song from jump street.

I get what people are saying about the rest of the EP post HCMM being acoustic stuff; I was surprised it wasn't full band too. There are some guitar licks in there, so maybe it was all Brian, or maybe it was a Brian/Alex R. thing (who are the performances credited to in the liner notes? I don't have those). Either way, after my initial "Oh, it's acoustic," I really enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for acoustic in general, but I would of course be interested in electric/full band versions. As songs themselves, though, I thought they were really solid. Been listening to them consistently since I've heard them the first time.

What really hooked me about Misery and Hold You Up was that I found the songs lyrically evoking (and thus, interesting). I like Handwritten for how it sounds (the music is damn near perfect), but the lyrics didn't do much for me. It was a weird balance: almost half of the Handwritten lyrics I thought were great, almost half I thought were pretty poor, with only a little in between. So not wholly bad, just overall mediocre. It was the most fun sounding record they've released, but the least engaging for me. Unlike past Gaslight efforts (and even THC and any other band I follow, for that matter), where at least a majority of the songs make me go "These lyrics are amazing," the majority of the songs on Handwritten make me go "This has a couple good lines."

The point being, if Misery and Hold You Up is the direction they are choosing to go lyrically, not to mention Halloween's lyrics (regardless of whether or not they were written during the making of Handwritten*), then I'm already looking ahead to the next record.

It's probably a little unfair to compare two new Gaslight songs on an EP (and one being played live) to a whole album of Gaslight songs--being impressive over three songs is way easier than being impressive over an entire album--but I can only work with what I got.

*Does anybody know if these are new songs, or ones they chose not to put on Handwritten? Rolling Stone called Halloween "new" but that could just mean "unreleased."

Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 pm

jzancan wrote:
Seems like Hold You Up isn't getting much love on here, so I guess I should throw it out there.

I get what people are saying about the rest of the EP post HCMM being acoustic stuff; I was surprised it wasn't full band too. There are some guitar licks in there, so maybe it was all Brian, or maybe it was a Brian/Alex R. thing (who are the performances credited to in the liner notes? I don't have those). Either way, after my initial "Oh, it's acoustic," I really enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for acoustic in general, but I would of course be interested in electric/full band versions. As songs themselves, though, I thought they were really solid. Been listening to them consistently since I've heard them the first time.

What really hooked me about Misery and Hold You Up was that I found the songs lyrically evoking (and thus, interesting). I like Handwritten for how it sounds (the music is damn near perfect), but the lyrics didn't do much for me. It was a weird balance: almost half of the Handwritten lyrics I thought were great, almost half I thought were pretty poor, with only a little in between. So not wholly bad, just overall mediocre. It was the most fun sounding record they've released, but the least engaging for me. Unlike past Gaslight efforts (and even THC and any other band I follow, for that matter), where at least a majority of the songs make me go "These lyrics are amazing," the majority of the songs on Handwritten make me go "This has a couple good lines."

The point being, if Misery and Hold You Up is the direction they are choosing to go lyrically, not to mention Halloween's lyrics (regardless of whether or not they were written during the making of Handwritten*), then I'm already looking ahead to the next record.

It's probably a little unfair to compare two new Gaslight songs on an EP (and one being played live) to a whole album of Gaslight songs--being impressive over three songs is way easier than being impressive over an entire album--but I can only work with what I got.

*Does anybody know if these are new songs, or ones they chose not to put on Handwritten? Rolling Stone called Halloween "new" but that could just mean "unreleased."

Well in the making of Handwritten video, one of the flashes of Brian's notebook shows Hold You Up's lyrics so that was written during the Handwritten time. I am pretty sure Halloween was written and recorded later, when they were on tour.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 am

eagles1139 wrote:
jzancan wrote:

Well in the making of Handwritten video, one of the flashes of Brian's notebook shows Hold You Up's lyrics so that was written during the Handwritten time. I am pretty sure Halloween was written and recorded later, when they were on tour.

Also what gives away that they were written around the time of Handwritten or close after is they have a similar sound to Teenage Rebellion.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
jzancan wrote:

Also what gives away that they were written around the time of Handwritten or close after is they have a similar sound to Teenage Rebellion.

True. I think Handwritten and Elsie songs were all written about the same time and the melancholy ones went th=o the Crowes whilst the more Gaslighty oines went to Handwritten. The subject matter of Teenage rebellion, Misery, Halloween and Hold You Up all kind of match the subjects covered on those two albums. Theyre just the tracks that didn't make it I guess. Id love to hear full band versions of them all. I can't help but think of these as Brian Fallon acoustic tracks really.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 am

I'm sure in an interview somewhere they mentioned that they had recorded a full band version of Teenage Rebellion. Anyone else remember seeing this?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Well do we really know how involved they were? I'm just saying what it seems like, idk who's credited for what though.

It just says "Produced and Mixed by Brian Fallon". As he's previously mentioned using GarageBand, I guess they are just home demos. In that case, it's likely that only Brian plays on them as well.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:05 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Well do we really know how involved they were? I'm just saying what it seems like, idk who's credited for what though.

It just says "Produced and Mixed by Brian Fallon". As he's previously mentioned using GarageBand, I guess they are just home demos. In that case, it's likely that only Brian plays on them as well.

Thanks for that info. Hmm, not a guarantee but that makes it seem likely that it's only, or mostly him. Funny they'd release it as gaslight then but I guess if he starts a solo career things are just gonna get complicated haha. What a nice problem to have though. He's got so many different songs comin out of him that he has to put them in categories because they're all great but don't all go together and he can still produce full albums out of the deal.

Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm thinking it's all him. Sounds like his other self-recorded stuff pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 am

I was just hoping someone could clear up some questions I had about this release. I already have the "Hold You Up" RSD release, but saw somewhere different cover art other than that of what's on mine. It was of a girl holding a briefcase. Just like this thread states, it was called the "Here Comes My Man" EP. But when I went to Discogs to look for the release on there, I couldn't find anything, which could have a lot to do with the fact I'm exhausted currently. Are these two separate releases? Or did one morph into another? I also thought I saw that the "HCMM" release was a 7". If anyone could shed some light onto all of this or point be to where this question may have been asked already or explained, that would be fantabulous.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:41 am

Bobul wrote:
I was just hoping someone could clear up some questions I had about this release. I already have the "Hold You Up" RSD release, but saw somewhere different cover art other than that of what's on mine. It was of a girl holding a briefcase. Just like this thread states, it was called the "Here Comes My Man" EP. But when I went to Discogs to look for the release on there, I couldn't find anything, which could have a lot to do with the fact I'm exhausted currently. Are these two separate releases? Or did one morph into another? I also thought I saw that the "HCMM" release was a 7". If anyone could shed some light onto all of this or point be to where this question may have been asked already or explained, that would be fantabulous.

Basically what happened was, one version got released in the UK and maybe like one or two other places? In the form of mp3's and I think a CD. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny those details but it was digital and it was very limited. That release has HCMM (the same version that was on the album), Misery, Hold You Up, and Skinny Love.

Then, I wanna say a month later? There was a vinyl 10" released exclusively in the US. There was no download card, no digital/CD version of any kind. This version has the same songs but didn't have HCMM on it and I believe was referred to as the Hold You Up EP and was released for Record Store Day.

At the time it caused a lot of confusion and frustration and thanks to some helpful friends over in the UK, many of the rest of us have been able to acquire the digital versions. For you know, those times you wanna listen to misery but can't lug your record player around. Hope that clears it up!

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:58 am

Bobul wrote:

The info on my site is:

Here Comes My Man [UK download only, for now] (28 October 2012 - label: Mercury Records)

1. Here Comes My Man
2. Misery
3. Skinny Love (Bon Iver cover)
4. Hold You Up

Hold You Up [vinyl only] (23 November 2012 - label: Mercury Records)

1. Hold You Up
2. Misery
3. Skinny Love (Bon Iver cover)

And 'yes', the cover art differed.

Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 am

Thank you Thank you to the both of you for clearing that up. My mind started to wander off when I saw that girl with the suitcase art and thought somehow I was missing some rare 7" that wasn't on the Discogs database either (the horror of that thought). I kinda thought that they were separate and that one was digital only, but I wanted to make sure.

Was the Digital UK EP the same takes on all three songs that were found on the HYU RSD release?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:14 am

Bobul wrote:
Was the Digital UK EP the same takes on all three songs that were found on the HYU RSD release?

Same takes indeed.

And just for the record, 'Misery' also appears here:

NCIS: Los Angeles - The Original TV Soundtrack (16 April 2013 - label: Artists' Addiction Records)
14. Misery

Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
dlbia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm

If you check out El Jefe's website, he did the artwork for a cd release of the HCMM ep, but it doesn't look like it ever actually came out. Also of note is artwork for a Handwritten 7" which also would have been cool. Its under the Latest Work section, I can't post a link yet.
Back to top Go down
Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:14 am

dlbia wrote:
If you check out El Jefe's website, he did the artwork for a cd release of the HCMM ep, but it doesn't look like it ever actually came out. Also of note is artwork for a Handwritten 7" which also would have been cool. Its under the Latest Work section, I can't post a link yet.
Yes!!! I think it was the at there that started this whole thing for me. Its so weird that the UK got digital and the US got vinyl (did the UK get vinyl too during RSD?). I feel like both of those projects just never formulated into anything. Why wasn't there a Handwritten single? Who knows. All we ever got was Forty-Five. I say this with the thought process that nowadays with the popularity of vinyl, so many times albums are released in multiple colors and what not. I thought that they would have tried to capitalize in some way shape or form on that song.

This conversation made me pull the Hold You Up (I had to pull it, it was stuck in that horrible plastic bag sleeve) release out and spin it today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl   

Back to top Go down

Here Come My Man EP incl. songs from Hold You Up vinyl
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4