A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-06-08
Age : 30
Location : England ,Wigan

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 am

ral wrote:
Holland wrote:

So what would you say is Ian's style? To me it looks like he is mainly just chugging away on the same chords that Brian plays. He isn't actually involved in songwriting is he? Just touring guitarist. Many bands add that extra guitarist for a more beefy sound : Biffy Clyro, Greenday etc. As Ian has been a part of their touring schedule for years I can't see why this is a huge issue.

While we don't know exactly what Ian contributed in the studio, he's in the album notes for guitar and vocals. The songwriting credits go to The Gaslight Anthem (listed as Brian, Alex, Alex and Benny).

Saying Ian's been part of their touring schedule for years is a bit of a stretch. He's played on a 3-4 songs at some shows since 2010, not every song like he's done this year.

By the touring schedule I mean't he has been a guitar tech with them, so has travelled around a lot and been part of their team. Which is different than adding a new face all of a sudden.
Back to top Go down
tom.TGA.punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 13
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:25 pm

yeah he has always been with TGA ever since the outset of the band (practically) he just hasn't been a frontal role
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 621
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 30
Location : Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Id love an album that captured that 59 sound magic again. This is an album that lacks the images, characters created by Brian and feels like raw, direct emotion. Thats great and all but doesnt quite work on this for some reason. A few songs i skip repeatedly on the stereo in my car and have tried to revisit them and feel the same. I feel the images, references and characters is what gave it that magic we know as the gaslight anthem and i do miss it. I also understand that Brian wants to move away from this and try new things which i totally get as a songwriter myself. You cant get stuck doing the same thing or its stale. Its hard to describe what i think is the gaslight "magic" we keep talking of
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1918
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 33
Location : Washington State, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Really don't think the issues with the album are Ian's fault. Seeing them live with all five of them was just as "magical" as seeing the four of them. The loss of magic was simply caused by a change in material. Blue Dahlia is perfect proof that if Brian wanted to write another album in the same vein as T59S that equaled or surpassed it he probably could. But they'd rather go in another direction and expand their repertoire and just use stuff like Blue Dahlia to taunt us.

Alright. You do have a good point there man. Here here. I will say it still is "magical" seeing all them play together, as when there was the four. No discredit to Ian. I'm sure he's a good lad. Maybe it was just something about seeing the four of them play some pretty amazing songs. I dunno. But, I do like how you said they use stuff like Blue Dahlia to "taunt us." haha It does kinda feel like that.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Edmonton, AB

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:41 pm

i know there are long-standing conversations on this thread, but i'm gonna stick my foot in and share a quick opinion.

in that video about the making of Handwritten, which was our first chance to hear parts of a few songs, the song Handwritten was little different than the released version. there were no "whoa oh" vocals at the beginning. and while the whoa-oh's were in there post chorus, i don't think there were any vocals during the little guitar lick. so it was just "whoa-oh, whoa-oh, whoa-oh, (guitar lick)."

am i the only one who liked the song much better that way? particularly live, i don't think the album version comes off that well. at the beginning, the focus should be on Benny's drums driving the chords changes through to the guitar lick. and then the reduced "whoa-oh's" could add a little spice the second time around, but then trade off to alex's guitar, instead of overpowering it.

just some thoughts. i think the song is one of their best but i wish it was done a little bit differently.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 29
Location : Dublin

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:39 pm

i do think the whoas sound a little corny
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
i know there are long-standing conversations on this thread, but i'm gonna stick my foot in and share a quick opinion.

in that video about the making of Handwritten, which was our first chance to hear parts of a few songs, the song Handwritten was little different than the released version. there were no "whoa oh" vocals at the beginning. and while the whoa-oh's were in there post chorus, i don't think there were any vocals during the little guitar lick. so it was just "whoa-oh, whoa-oh, whoa-oh, (guitar lick)."

am i the only one who liked the song much better that way? particularly live, i don't think the album version comes off that well. at the beginning, the focus should be on Benny's drums driving the chords changes through to the guitar lick. and then the reduced "whoa-oh's" could add a little spice the second time around, but then trade off to alex's guitar, instead of overpowering it.

just some thoughts. i think the song is one of their best but i wish it was done a little bit differently.

Haha don't ever hesitate to jump into the conversation!

I think I had a weird adjustment with both Handwritten and HCMM after watching that video. I'd have to watch it again to know what you mean by those changes but I do agree 100% that this song does not come off well live. It's sooooo WEAK live. I think Reading is the best version I've heard of it and that's still "eh" compared to the album. It's lacking "oomph" live. I think having all of them sing the "woahs" live makes it weaker.

But on the album, I may not know much about production but it seems like it's the most poorly produced on the album. I always feel like I'm straining to hear it. I'll turn the volume up where it hurts my ears and it still feels far away. That's the best I can describe it. It's a shame because it's my favorite.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-01-03
Age : 28
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I wonder what's with this album and all the whoas. Bit too many?
I didn't notice at first but now they kinda annoy me haha
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1501
Join date : 2010-05-06
Location : Back In The Swamps of Jersey

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:23 pm

plugga wrote:
I wonder what's with this album and all the whoas. Bit too many?
I didn't notice at first but now they kinda annoy me haha

Desire to me was the worst offender with the "whoahs"
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 29
Location : Dublin

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 pm

no the whoas fit in there. and they're kind of "uh huh uuuuhh uh-a-uh"s more than whoas. that makes them cool, everyone knows that.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 713
Join date : 2011-08-22
Age : 23
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 pm

The "uh-uh-uh-uhhh-uh"s after the Desire chorus are great. The whoOOOOAHHOOAHHs at the beginning of the song are not.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-01-03
Age : 28
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm a little lost here ahahah
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 29
Location : Dublin

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
The "uh-uh-uh-uhhh-uh"s after the Desire chorus are great. The whoOOOOAHHOOAHHs at the beginning of the song are not.
touche
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 67
Join date : 2012-01-24
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 pm

I know this is not a particularly popular opinion but I actually think Desire is one of their best songs. I actually think the whoas in Desire sound better than in Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-04-21
Age : 26
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 pm

nico0493 wrote:
I know this is not a particularly popular opinion but I actually think Desire is one of their best songs. I actually think the whoas in Desire sound better than in Handwritten.

I love Desire too. It is in my top 5 Handwritten songs. I love the Gaslight songs on each record that have a kind of upbeat, romantic vibe. For me Desire is that song on Handwritten, The Spirit Of Jazz is that song on AS and Casanova, Baby! is that song on The '59 Sound for me. I guess Desire might not be lyrically as deep as some of the other songs but it is fun and catchy and I always turn it up when it comes on Smile
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 67
Join date : 2012-01-24
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Christophe wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
I know this is not a particularly popular opinion but I actually think Desire is one of their best songs. I actually think the whoas in Desire sound better than in Handwritten.

I love Desire too. It is in my top 5 Handwritten songs. I love the Gaslight songs on each record that have a kind of upbeat, romantic vibe. For me Desire is that song on Handwritten, The Spirit Of Jazz is that song on AS and Casanova, Baby! is that song on The '59 Sound for me. I guess Desire might not be lyrically as deep as some of the other songs but it is fun and catchy and I always turn it up when it comes on Smile

EXACTLY! I don't know if it's lyrically deep (thats such a complex term I prefer not to use it although I agree it is different from the past records) I just think it is beautifully written. It is exactly what the song demanded, not a word more not a word less, just what the guys had to say. I understand why people might not like it so much but I personally love it.

Never made that connection but they actually have something in common those three songs. I would put Say I wont in the list. Straight forward feel-good awesome music
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1501
Join date : 2010-05-06
Location : Back In The Swamps of Jersey

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:50 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
The "uh-uh-uh-uhhh-uh"s after the Desire chorus are great. The whoOOOOAHHOOAHHs at the beginning of the song are not.
Precisely.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-04-21
Age : 26
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 pm

nico0493 wrote:
Christophe wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
I know this is not a particularly popular opinion but I actually think Desire is one of their best songs. I actually think the whoas in Desire sound better than in Handwritten.

I love Desire too. It is in my top 5 Handwritten songs. I love the Gaslight songs on each record that have a kind of upbeat, romantic vibe. For me Desire is that song on Handwritten, The Spirit Of Jazz is that song on AS and Casanova, Baby! is that song on The '59 Sound for me. I guess Desire might not be lyrically as deep as some of the other songs but it is fun and catchy and I always turn it up when it comes on Smile

EXACTLY! I don't know if it's lyrically deep (thats such a complex term I prefer not to use it although I agree it is different from the past records) I just think it is beautifully written. It is exactly what the song demanded, not a word more not a word less, just what the guys had to say. I understand why people might not like it so much but I personally love it.

Never made that connection but they actually have something in common those three songs. I would put Say I wont in the list. Straight forward feel-good awesome music

Yeah I would put Say I Won't in there too. I think I would say We Came To Dance is the standout romantic song on SoS too. I love these type of songs. Like you say they are just great 'feel-good awesome music'
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3228
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:05 am

For me the Gaslight/Fallon magic lies in the perfect blend of the right kind of lyrics and music.

What makes me sit up is Brian's skill at creating lyrical movies and portraits, "we do", "she is", "they are", "I was", or when he addresses another person directly. What doesn't work, for me at least, and that's where the magic goes missing, is when it is merely "I feel".

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord


Last edited by steady now steady now on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:18 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
The "uh-uh-uh-uhhh-uh"s after the Desire chorus are great. The whoOOOOAHHOOAHHs at the beginning of the song are not.
Precisely.

Agree 100%. And I think that happens more than just at the beginning. It's anytime that you hear all of them singing. I think they make it cross over into "cheesy" a little bit.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3228
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Listened to it again today in search of the missing something. That missing something, I think, is 'the joys of living'. The other albums made me glad to be alive.

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 621
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 30
Location : Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:17 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Listened to it again today in search of the missing something. That missing something, I think, is 'the joys of living'. The other albums made me glad to be alive.
That made me laugh lol! handwritten doesnt make me wish i wasnt alive, but i see your point definately
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1983
Join date : 2009-07-03
Age : 25
Location : Columbia, Missouri

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

That's basically what I've thought. On the older records, even if the lyrics themselves were quite sad, there was some kind of joy and hopefulness in the music. Not really feeling that on Handwritten. It's kind of a downer of a record.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3228
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
steady now steady now wrote:
Listened to it again today in search of the missing something. That missing something, I think, is 'the joys of living'. The other albums made me glad to be alive.
That made me laugh lol! handwritten doesnt make me wish i wasnt alive, but i see your point definately

Very Happy glad you saw my point; I certainly didn't mean it made me want to jump off

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 621
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 30
Location : Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm

haha i gathered/hoped that! i think it was the excitement of the night,situations and hope conveyed in the songs that came accross clearer in previous albums (still dont feel that sums up what im thinking but ah well)
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   

Back to top Go down
 
HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 32 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: