A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

A_Regular wrote:
Just being dumb, take no offense

IM SO OFFENDED IM GOING TO WRITE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO THE DIMESTORE SAINTS MODERATOR. EVERY WORD HANDWRITTEN.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

SirBrad wrote:
EveryLittleSecret wrote:
people who are looking for another "59" sound will find plenty of faults with the album, the same way people did post Sink or Swim. we all have redic standards and (great?) expectations for TGA, its best to just sit back and enjoy the hell out of this record!

I honestly don't see how they're going to blow up either. It's just the state of the radio these days.

For "fame" comparision sake I am going to say they have an outside shot of being about as famous as a few songs got Augustana. Don't see Kings of Leon or Black Kets fame any time soon though. It's hard to say though - it only takes one song. Do they have that one song on this album, that is the question.

a 4star RS review could get them a grammy nod imo.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

riversedge wrote:
A_Regular wrote:
Just being dumb, take no offense

IM SO OFFENDED IM GOING TO WRITE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO THE DIMESTORE SAINTS MODERATOR. EVERY WORD HANDWRITTEN.

COME ON, I WAS JUST UNBANNED
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:45 pm

A_Regular wrote:
TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:
Listened to it 6 times now, it's good but not great. It's better than American Slang but not as good as SoS or 59 Sound. It's certainly not a punk record and they've pushed off the Springsteen tag because it sounds nothing like any of his stuff, it reminds me alot of Backspacer by Pearl Jam.

I'm slightly disappointed, maybe because I fell for gaslight when they were singing about Maria, Elvis, diners and the 50s, and this is far cry from that stuff, but I understand they've gotta grow and evolve.

I don't think this is an album which will propel them into the mainstream, and for me it can't contend with the Menzingers or Jim Lockey for album of the year. 6.5/10

No offense but that Menzingers record is over hyped repetitive garbage.

Says the guy with the Black Keys avatar

BURNED!
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

The more I listen the more I hear a follow-up to Elsie rather than American Slang but with a better rhythm section!.

Last edited by Steve70s on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

SirBrad wrote:
EveryLittleSecret wrote:
people who are looking for another "59" sound will find plenty of faults with the album, the same way people did post Sink or Swim. we all have redic standards and (great?) expectations for TGA, its best to just sit back and enjoy the hell out of this record!

I honestly don't see how they're going to blow up either. It's just the state of the radio these days.

For "fame" comparision sake I am going to say they have an outside shot of being about as famous as a few songs got Augustana. Don't see Kings of Leon or Black Kets fame any time soon though. It's hard to say though - it only takes one song. Do they have that one song on this album, that is the question.

Kings of Leon got huge on songs like "sex on fire" and "use somebody", there is nothing that accessible/sellable on this album. The Black Keys fame confounds me, and that arena tour blows me away.

I think given the proper promotion, and a few opening tours with BIG bands (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters size not Rise Against), they can probably cap out somewhere around 3-5000 seat venues.

This is not what I want for them, it's just reality. 15-20 years ago, Gaslight could've easily been an arena band.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

WOAH OH OH, YOUVE GOT DA LOVE DATS KEEP ME WAITING
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Steve70s wrote:
The more I listen the more I hear a follow-up to Elsie rather than American Slang but with a better rhythm section!.

I don't see that at all, this does not sound like Horrible Crowes at all to me, maybe "Mae". I don't really like "Elsie", this is a lot better than that for me.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:52 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

I don't see that at all, this does not sound like Horrible Crowes at all to me, maybe "Mae". I don't really like "Elsie", this is a lot better than that for me.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:52 pm

is it me or does the intro to Mae sound alot like Sugar?
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:53 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

Yeah not the rockers but the slower stuff to my ears.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:53 pm

EveryLittleSecret wrote:
A_Regular wrote:
TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:
Listened to it 6 times now, it's good but not great. It's better than American Slang but not as good as SoS or 59 Sound. It's certainly not a punk record and they've pushed off the Springsteen tag because it sounds nothing like any of his stuff, it reminds me alot of Backspacer by Pearl Jam.

I'm slightly disappointed, maybe because I fell for gaslight when they were singing about Maria, Elvis, diners and the 50s, and this is far cry from that stuff, but I understand they've gotta grow and evolve.

I don't think this is an album which will propel them into the mainstream, and for me it can't contend with the Menzingers or Jim Lockey for album of the year. 6.5/10

No offense but that Menzingers record is over hyped repetitive garbage.

Says the guy with the Black Keys avatar

BURNED!
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:54 pm

bakerfall wrote:
SirBrad wrote:
EveryLittleSecret wrote:

Kings of Leon got huge on songs like "sex on fire" and "use somebody", there is nothing that accessible/sellable on this album. The Black Keys fame confounds me, and that arena tour blows me away.

I think given the proper promotion, and a few opening tours with BIG bands (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters size not Rise Against), they can probably cap out somewhere around 3-5000 seat venues.

This is not what I want for them, it's just reality. 15-20 years ago, Gaslight could've easily been an arena band.

yeah I think they need to support bigger acts. I remember Augustana supporting Maroon 5 & Counting Crows on tour (which now seems like a really weird combo since Maroon 5 is all Moves Like Jagger these days). I think that got them some good exposure across a few generations of fans.

Gaslight opening for Pearl Jam would be epic. And I never use the word epic.

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
JonnyisRFC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Love the album, amazing. Handwritten is definitely the stand out track so far for me. Anyone else think 'national anthem' sounds a little bit like 'I'm on fire' ?
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

JonnyisRFC wrote:
Love the album, amazing. Handwritten is definitely the stand out track so far for me. Anyone else think 'national anthem' sounds a little bit like 'I'm on fire' ?

Yes
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

SirBrad wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
SirBrad wrote:
EveryLittleSecret wrote:

yeah I think they need to support bigger acts. I remember Augustana supporting Maroon 5 & Counting Crows on tour (which now seems like a really weird combo since Maroon 5 is all Moves Like Jagger these days). I think that got them some good exposure across a few generations of fans.

Gaslight opening for Pearl Jam would be epic. And I never use the word epic.

Kings of Leon and My Morning Jacket opened the bulk of the 2006 Pearl Jam tour. Both got markedly bigger afterwords. If Gaslight could pull that off for a REAL tour (if Pearl Jam ever has one of those again), it would make a difference.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

Sounds like either that or anything on Nebraska
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm

rgillies wrote:
Yozzy wrote:
A_Regular wrote:
As expected too much blood is boring as shit

No. Fantastic song. Epic.

One of my favourites, the guitar riff is big and Brian's voice is raelly good on it.

Anyone else think it sounds kinda Chris Cornellish?
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm

markbarlow wrote:
A_Regular wrote:
Radio friendly? A 2 minute punk song sounds least radio friendly to me.
OK, maybe not radio friendly but the "ey-ey-eyyyyyy" bit is very cheesy, particularly with the silky smooth production.

That I can deal with. I can't dealt with "oh shalala"
Back to top Go down
rgillies
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 pm

First off, I think this is a really "big" album. It will end up as my favourite album by Gaslight, that's for sure. Take this with a pinch of salt because I've only listened through about 4 times so I'm still on a high.

45 - Love it. Definitely best shout for the leading single 8/10

Handwritten - One of the best tunes they have ever done. Brian's lyrics and vocals on the verse give me chills. After hearing the snippet on the making of I knew this song would be insane, and I wasn't wrong. 10/10

Here Comes My Man - Took a while to grow on me, but it really grew on me. The 12 string guitar is beautiful and it's a refreshing change lyrically. The "sha la la's" will be so good live 8/10

Mulholland Drive - Again, I love these lyrics so much. Alex R's guitar work at the end is among the best he has done. The solo flows so well and makes the song for me. 8/10

Keepsake - Loving the harmonica on it. The lyrics are excellent, so personal. 8/10

Too Much Blood - Huge guitar riff. Snarling vocals from Brian. After the snippets I wasn't expecting the chorus to be relatively quiet. Really good song, however I feel it goes on a wee bit towards the end. I'm not complaining, more Gaslight the merrier! 8/10

Howl - So far Howl isn't really doing much for me. I know it will be fantastic live though, especially the chorus. 6/10

Biloxi Parish - I have been slightly dissappointed by the live version of Biloxi, seems a bit empty to me. The studio version, however, is fantastic. The double tracked vocals are brilliant along with the choir like backing vocals on the last chorus. It really builds up as a song. 9/10

Desire - Dismissed by some people as being a throwaway song. I for one love it though, really catchy and the chorus will be eaten up by the live crowd. It seems like they've written a bunch of these songs especially for the live shows. 9/10

Mae - Beautiful. The elsie influence is clear here. Up there with blue Jeans for me in terms of lyrics. Some of the best lyrics I've ever heard from Brian, "while this city pumps in aching heart, for one more drop of blood". Again, it really builds up towards the end perfectly. 10/10

National Anthem - I think this song is very different from anything they've done. A very simple stripped back song but a favourite of mine already. 9/10
Back to top Go down
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm

In a purely selfish way do you guys want them not to blow up?
They obviously deserve success and i wish them all the best but i usually end up disliking bands that blow up massive for example kings of leon, i just can't get into the new stuff but i love the old stuff.

I also hate the the new kind of audience that brings, once something is in the charts a lot of people with poor music taste decide to like them just for that reason. They claim to be massive fans but only know the hits etc and when everyone becomes a fan it kind of becomes less special. I don't know why, it's like i want them all to my self.

plus arena shows are terrible i hate them, there's no sense of connection to the act and they have poor atmosphere unless maybe you are right at the front.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

when I listened to american slang the first time I thought it was good, not great. now I like it a lot

while listening to handwritten I skipped two songs and almost skipped another two, which I guess means I don't like it as much as american slang, somehow I'm a bit disappointed but I feel like I saw itcoming....anyway, I can see a lot people liking the shit outta this album and it's definitly a great step forward for the band.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:35 pm

YouCanCallMeSally wrote:
rgillies wrote:
Yozzy wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

One of my favourites, the guitar riff is big and Brian's voice is raelly good on it.

it's definitely Brian's attempt to right a song like Cornell. He said he wrote it after seeing Chris in concert.
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm

ral wrote:
YouCanCallMeSally wrote:
rgillies wrote:
Yozzy wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

it's definitely Brian's attempt to right a song like Cornell. He said he wrote it after seeing Chris in concert.

Oh hadn't even read that. I adore Brian's voice, I adore Chris' voice, I don't think there's need for a mix. But liking the song though!
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

The Morning After, spun it.
1. Mae is inching closer to my "all-time favorite songs" list. Can't help thinking Brian wrote it for Elsie, but thought it was too good not to use on Gaslight?
2. Handwritten is still spectacular
3. National Anthem growing on me, ESPECIALLY the idea of: "what's left for God to teach from this throne, and who will forgive us when he's gone?" That might be the most philosophical lyric he's ever written and sent me into reflection
4. I really like Desire. Specifically, the first lyric of each verse. Just heartbreaking, and every male to walk the earth has felt this way.
5. Dig the riff, but Too Much Blood is my least favorite right now. It'll grow on me though.

As of right now: A-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 35  Next