A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 am

Listened to it 6 times now, it's good but not great. It's better than American Slang but not as good as SoS or 59 Sound. It's certainly not a punk record and they've pushed off the Springsteen tag because it sounds nothing like any of his stuff, it reminds me alot of Backspacer by Pearl Jam.

I'm slightly disappointed, maybe because I fell for gaslight when they were singing about Maria, Elvis, diners and the 50s, and this is far cry from that stuff, but I understand they've gotta grow and evolve.

I don't think this is an album which will propel them into the mainstream, and for me it can't contend with the Menzingers or Jim Lockey for album of the year. 6.5/10
Back to top Go down
DavyGrolton
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 am

I certainly like it, much better than American slang (excluding bring it on, quite possibly the best song ever)
I do like howl Mae 45 handwritten the best 4 on the album. It just seemed like an entire album like film noir or cowgirls
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

Mae sent chills up my spine!
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 am

On about my 7th listen. My only gripes are that Too Much Blood is a bit too long with no payoff, and National Anthem seems weak both lyrically and guitarwise to me.
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:54 am

Quote :
I've got to be honest. I think it's a good rock and roll album, but I don't think it utilizes a lot of the band's strengths. The mid-paced tempo of many of the songs doesn't seem to play to their fun, sing-along, fist pump anthems, nor is it slow enough to feel l ike there's a special moment (think Blue Jeans)...

Spot on to me. I'm enjoying the album, but I don't see myself falling in love with it the way I did '59 Sound because it is really missing most of the elements that really pulled me into that album. I understand the desire of a band to evolve and refine its sound, but this may be a little too safe and straightforward to really grab people. I'm always hesitant to judge too much good or bad this early, though, because my opinions almost always change as I become more familiar with an album. I didn't like Sink or Swim or American Slang that much on my first listens, but I love Sink or Swim now and love much (but not all) of American Slang.

It will be interesting to see how this one evolves for me as I listen more.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
TheEmptyBones
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:02 pm

IAmDisappeared wrote:
Listened to it 6 times now, it's good but not great. It's better than American Slang but not as good as SoS or 59 Sound. It's certainly not a punk record and they've pushed off the Springsteen tag because it sounds nothing like any of his stuff, it reminds me alot of Backspacer by Pearl Jam.

I'm slightly disappointed, maybe because I fell for gaslight when they were singing about Maria, Elvis, diners and the 50s, and this is far cry from that stuff, but I understand they've gotta grow and evolve.

I don't think this is an album which will propel them into the mainstream, and for me it can't contend with the Menzingers or Jim Lockey for album of the year. 6.5/10

No offense but that Menzingers record is over hyped repetitive garbage.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Biloxi is the 2nd best track for sure, and I think it'll be the one to get big radio rock play.
Back to top Go down
songs like a comfort
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

the album is awesome but keepsake gives me the rest...
awesomenal!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm

TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:

I don't see how anyone could POSSIBLY take offense to that...seriously, dude, temper the hyperbole. There's a reason most in our little community see that record as the best of the year, and throwing a temper tantrum about it won't change its greatness.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 pm

I think that with this album they had to get a certain balance. What i mean by that is they needed to evolve, all bands in my opinion need to and 9 times out of 10 do change. I think bands need to keep a fresh sound, why would i want to listen to a new album if it just sounds like their old one?
and on the other hand you don't want the band to change that much because the sound they have now is one that you like, it's the one you fell in love with.

What i feel with this album is that they have got a good balance. It is different from their other albums but it still sounds like gaslight anthem and that is what i love about it. I mean the most used words are probably Radio, blood, moon and drive very typical of their work but it sounds like more of a rock n roll record it's more heavy, definitely more personal and it's very smooth sounding

Essentially, not everyone will be that happy with this record, some people will feel like they have lost the whole "59 sound" feel. Others like my self will see it as another exciting chapter in the bands history. Also from the artists point of view they don't want to be writing the same old songs you know about Maria, diners, driving etc, they've done that. If that's what you like then go listen to the 59sound.

I like the album so far, not in love as of yet but whenever i listen to a new album it takes me a while to get used to it. Took me like a year after i listened to 59sound until i finally decided it's one of my favorite albums ever.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 pm

I think the biggest change with the record is just how slow it truly is. Howl was hyped up as "faster than anything since our first record" but it's actually a fair bit slower than Great Expectations, for example. They've never done something as slow as Too Much Blood. In general the approach they've taken is far heavier, swampier, and not nearly as optimistic. Is it the Horrible Crowes influence? Maybe, maybe not.

I think the main difference is that every other record they've made has sounded very free and open, whereas Handwritten sounds very full. There used to be a lot more spaces between the different sounds, but this record is just spilling over with sound. It'll take time to get used to, and it'll be interesting to see what we all think of this record once the dust settles.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I've only listened a couple times because this NPR stream is a terrible rip, I don't feel like it's doing the songs justice to listen too much at this crappy a rip.

That being said, "Handwritten" (song) is fucking amazing. It's easily better than all of AS. It's a top 10 Gaslight song for me, maybe a top 5. Wow, love it.

Other favorites: "Mulholland Drive", "too much blood", "howl", "biloxi parish".

It's where I thought it would be, below '59 Sound, above American Slang. It's going to sound 100x better than "Sink or Swim", but I don't think the songs will end up sticking with me like those.

Can't wait to hear this album when it sounds good.
Back to top Go down
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:

I think the main difference is that every other record they've made has sounded very free and open, whereas Handwritten sounds very full. There used to be a lot more spaces between the different sounds, but this record is just spilling over with sound.

This.

Is it the brendan o' brien influence? I'm no expert on music production but personally I felt Springsteen's albums when working with BoB all sounded very cluttered, then Wrecking Ball under a new producer sounded fresh. Maybe this is BoB style and thats fine, he seems to be very highly regarded, just unfortunately for myself the full, cluttered style isn't to my taste.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
I think the biggest change with the record is just how slow it truly is. Howl was hyped up as "faster than anything since our first record" but it's actually a fair bit slower than Great Expectations, for example. They've never done something as slow as Too Much Blood. In general the approach they've taken is far heavier, swampier, and not nearly as optimistic. Is it the Horrible Crowes influence? Maybe, maybe not.

I think the main difference is that every other record they've made has sounded very free and open, whereas Handwritten sounds very full. There used to be a lot more spaces between the different sounds, but this record is just spilling over with sound. It'll take time to get used to, and it'll be interesting to see what we all think of this record once the dust settles.

This is very true, the album as a whole is slower than anything else they've done. However, uptempo doesn't mean better, as AS had more uptempo songs and was not better. I think "full" is a good description, which is what having a real producer will do for them. The songs will open up live and when interspliced with faster songs from other albums, their live show shouldn't change a ton. Provided the midtempo songs from "handwritten" are replacing midtempo songs from "'59" and "AS".

Hopefully having four full albums and an EP and covers will result in longer, more varied sets. If Brian wants to be EV or Bruce, this should happen Smile

Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Knocked out 4 times through last night. That being said
1. It needs more listening: most of these tracks are so individually heavy and BIG it's kind of hard to grasp its enormity
2. It gets better every time
3. WAY better through nice headphones...tried it first time on my speakers, didn't do much for me. The headphones put you IN the music, and that made all the difference for me.

Really enjoying it. Mae put me in tears each of the last 3 spins.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

IAmDisappeared wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

I think the main difference is that every other record they've made has sounded very free and open, whereas Handwritten sounds very full. There used to be a lot more spaces between the different sounds, but this record is just spilling over with sound.

This.

Is it the brendan o' brien influence? I'm no expert on music production but personally I felt Springsteen's albums when working with BoB all sounded very cluttered, then Wrecking Ball under a new producer sounded fresh. Maybe this is BoB style and thats fine, he seems to be very highly regarded, just unfortunately for myself the full, cluttered style isn't to my taste.

One thing, when you listen to this on vinyl or on CD (moreso on vinyl) the songs will feel less compressed. CDs on their own tend to have the levels jacked, and this is a crappy rip of a CD. Drums will sound a lot better, guitar will sound better.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:31 pm

[quote="TheEmptyBones"]
IAmDisappeared wrote:

Dude, you spelt 'amazing record' wrong.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm

A_Regular wrote:
Biloxi is the 2nd best track for sure, and I think it'll be the one to get big radio rock play.

I really don't see "Biloxi" being a single, it's not radio friendly. If anything, I would say "handwritten" has a chance. Truth be told though, given the state of modern radio, I don't think anything is going to get significant airplay.

I really, really like this album, but I would be shocked if this made them blow up. It may sell better than "American Slang" because of Mercury, but not dramatically. Sad state of music today that a band like this can't be huge, but there's very little out there to suggest that they will, or even can, be.
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm

people who are looking for another "59" sound will find plenty of faults with the album, the same way people did post Sink or Swim. we all have redic standards and (great?) expectations for TGA, its best to just sit back and enjoy the hell out of this record!
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 pm

[quote="riversedge"]
TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:

You spelled spelled wrong
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm

[quote="A_Regular"]
riversedge wrote:
TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:

You spelled spelled wrong

Considering I live outside the US and therefore don't use American English, both words are interchangeable for me and I'm afraid today was just a 'spelt' today. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Just being dumb, take no offense
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

(OTIP rules)
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

EveryLittleSecret wrote:
people who are looking for another "59" sound will find plenty of faults with the album, the same way people did post Sink or Swim. we all have redic standards and (great?) expectations for TGA, its best to just sit back and enjoy the hell out of this record!

I honestly don't see how they're going to blow up either. It's just the state of the radio these days.

For "fame" comparision sake I am going to say they have an outside shot of being about as famous as a few songs got Augustana. Don't see Kings of Leon or Black Kets fame any time soon though. It's hard to say though - it only takes one song. Do they have that one song on this album, that is the question.

It feels like I'm projecting how a AAA pitching prospect is going to pitch in the majors.

Last edited by SirBrad on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

TheEmptyBones wrote:
IAmDisappeared wrote:

Says the guy with the Black Keys avatar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 35Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 35  Next