A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Spam

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:26 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
Thanks y'all for letting me talk. I wonder what Mr. Fallon would probably say about this. Probably something inspiring.

Anytime, Chris. That's what friends are for. Hug

Hmm...I'm sure Brian would have some very wise words about pretty much anything we could discuss here. He may just have an insight into everything! Very Happy

Hrm. So true. He might be the greatest philosopher ever and he doesn't know it. I need to shake that mans hand next Thursday. He has done so much for me. Most people probably understand except for us on this forum.

UGH, I NEED A PICTURE WITH HIM TOO!!!! How cool would that be? A lot people on here seem to have them...can't be too hard.

Yeah, I doubt most people out in the world would understand, but a lot of us would. I owe so much to Brian and his songs...so much. If you don't mind my asking, what's your connection to the music? Why is it so important in your life? I love hearing how these songs impact other people. Smile

I think a lot of the time, Brian and the guys hang around after the shows and talk to the fans and take pictures and stuff, so if you stick around you might get to meet him. I don't even know what I'd say to him, I would be in so in awe. I mean, he's one of my heroes! And he's so humble, he has no idea what an amazingly talented person he is.

Well first of all, he is actually inspired me to pick up the guitar again and teach myself. I heard him make such amazing music, I had to give it a shot. That is only the first of it though. Like you, I can find whole lyrics in each song that I can relate to.....not only single lyrics but a majority of whole songs relate to me. I think Heres Looking at You Kid is probably my favorite song by his. He speaks of child hood crushes, teenage relationships and on and so on. It just seems so real and personal to me. Everything in that song has happened to me, and the lyrics are just so real. I love how I can actually tell that he is a real person and has experienced everything like the rest of us. He doesn't try to act like he is above everything, he bleeds red just like the rest of us and he knows it.
I think another song that I can really relate to is "Black Betty and the Moon". I have known a girl like he is exactly singing about in the song. That part in the song that starts at "and they want you to doubt...." is just such an eye opener. Those lyrics are perfect. That girl I had that horrible thing with was exactly like the girl in the song once I realized it.
Haha, I could go on all night about how each song relates to me.....for sure.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
Thanks y'all for letting me talk. I wonder what Mr. Fallon would probably say about this. Probably something inspiring.

Hmm...I'm sure Brian would have some very wise words about pretty much anything we could discuss here. He may just have an insight into everything! Very Happy

Hrm. So true. He might be the greatest philosopher ever and he doesn't know it. I need to shake that mans hand next Thursday. He has done so much for me. Most people probably understand except for us on this forum.

UGH, I NEED A PICTURE WITH HIM TOO!!!! How cool would that be? A lot people on here seem to have them...can't be too hard.

Yeah, I doubt most people out in the world would understand, but a lot of us would. I owe so much to Brian and his songs...so much. If you don't mind my asking, what's your connection to the music? Why is it so important in your life? I love hearing how these songs impact other people. Smile

I think a lot of the time, Brian and the guys hang around after the shows and talk to the fans and take pictures and stuff, so if you stick around you might get to meet him. I don't even know what I'd say to him, I would be in so in awe. I mean, he's one of my heroes! And he's so humble, he has no idea what an amazingly talented person he is.

I shook Brian's hand for that exact reason. I totally get what you mean when you say he's done so much for you. But you're right, the outside world might not get it. That's why this forum is so great. But yeah, hang around (I waited 2 hours so be ready to wait) but he's unbelievably gracious.

Haha, Shannon if you ever meet him don't do what I did. Aka stumble over your words and sound like a complete idiot. It was like every thought tried to come out at once!

That is so AWESOME!!!!!! Was he as nice as everyone says? I heard he has to be the nicest person in then entire world. What was the first thing he said to you? haha
Back to top Go down
Mr.Grieves
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Why have I not seen any of these?! scratch

breaking bad is one of my favorite tv shows. give it a try. the last season starts soon. it's dark, funny and sad. really great acting and story lines.
Back to top Go down
http://mrgrieves21.deviantart.com/
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:30 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

I shook Brian's hand for that exact reason. I totally get what you mean when you say he's done so much for you. But you're right, the outside world might not get it. That's why this forum is so great. But yeah, hang around (I waited 2 hours so be ready to wait) but he's unbelievably gracious.

Haha, Shannon if you ever meet him don't do what I did. Aka stumble over your words and sound like a complete idiot. It was like every thought tried to come out at once!

I can pretty much guarantee that's exactly what I would do! I talk pretty fast to begin with, but when I get excited, it's like my brain is on speed and my words can't keep up, so I stumble over them. I would embarrass myself, I'm sure! But it would be worth it if I could just tell him how his songs saved my sanity and were the only things that helped me get through a very bad time in my life.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:

"The clothes I've worn just don't fit my soul anymore"
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Well first of all, he is actually inspired me to pick up the guitar again and teach myself. I heard him make such amazing music, I had to give it a shot. That is only the first of it though. Like you, I can find whole lyrics in each song that I can relate to.....not only single lyrics but a majority of whole songs relate to me. I think Heres Looking at You Kid is probably my favorite song by his. He speaks of child hood crushes, teenage relationships and on and so on. It just seems so real and personal to me. Everything in that song has happened to me, and the lyrics are just so real. I love how I can actually tell that he is a real person and has experienced everything like the rest of us. He doesn't try to act like he is above everything, he bleeds red just like the rest of us and he knows it.
I think another song that I can really relate to is "Black Betty and the Moon". I have known a girl like he is exactly singing about in the song. That part in the song that starts at "and they want you to doubt...." is just such an eye opener. Those lyrics are perfect. That girl I had that horrible thing with was exactly like the girl in the song once I realized it.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Smile It's so cool how so many of us have these deep connections to the music like that. That must have been pretty surreal to hear Black Betty and the Moon and realize that Brian could have been singing about you and your ex-girlfriend. He just gets it.

For me, Red At Night could have been written about me. Irish name, injuries, blessings, curses, the whole thing. Then Bring It On because of my cousin and everything I have been through with her and her family. That whole song represents a big part of my life. I also relate to Here's Looking At You, Kid, but from both sides. I have been in Brian's position, the person pining away for someone else, and also the girl who didn't give the guy a chance, like Gail and Jane. Really, I connect with every song on some level, but those three are probably the biggest ones. And also She Loves You and Ladykiller in parts. I kind of feel like crying just thinking about how much all of these songs mean to me. Just wait until Handwritten comes out. Those lyrics... don't worry, no spoilers, but man. I love you
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Chris, he really is the nicest person. The first thing that struck me (besides, hey he's short like me!) was that being around him is not like being around a "celebrity" i met ralph finnes (also super nice and humble) like 2 days before and he gave off an aura but not Brian. He's so chill. He was trying really hard to give everyone attention but it was hard. He signed a handful of autographs then he had a few exchanges with some people. i asked him if i could get a picture, i think he said something like "of course" or "absolutely" and put his arm around my shoulders (i like died haha) then he said to his security guard (i'm still standing there) something like "you can go if you want, i'm fine" and the guy got a look at all the crazy girls and was like "nah i'll stay" haha. then we took the picture. I then asked if I could shake his hand (he seemed almost dumbfounded as to why i'd want to, haha). and he looked me dead in the eye as i stumbled over some sort of "thank you, i appreciate you music" jumble that came out my mouth, haha.

Shannon, I hear ya, it's hard! It's like you can't sum it up into words.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Smile It's so cool how so many of us have these deep connections to the music like that. That must have been pretty surreal to hear Black Betty and the Moon and realize that Brian could have been singing about you and your ex-girlfriend. He just gets it.

For me, Red At Night could have been written about me. Irish name, injuries, blessings, curses, the whole thing. Then Bring It On because of my cousin and everything I have been through with her and her family. That whole song represents a big part of my life. I also relate to Here's Looking At You, Kid, but from both sides. I have been in Brian's position, the person pining away for someone else, and also the girl who didn't give the guy a chance, like Gail and Jane. Really, I connect with every song on some level, but those three are probably the biggest ones. And also She Loves You and Ladykiller in parts. I kind of feel like crying just thinking about how much all of these songs mean to me. Just wait until Handwritten comes out. Those lyrics... don't worry, no spoilers, but man. I love you

That's so amazing! I agree it's incredible how much people can relate to these songs. Like you guys, I've had those times where you don't just relate you're like "holy crap that's my life" or "that's exactly what happened to me!"

I can relate to any of them on some level but certain ones are huge to me. 1930 makes me cry sometimes because my grandfather died of alzheimer's so that line "i love you more than the stars in the sky but your name just escapes me tonight" just kills me. The line from Boomboxes & Dictionaries "if you're scared of the future tonight, we'll just take it each hour one at a time" I wrote that on a piece of paper and put it on my door when I was having a really tough time a year ago and need to read that every day just to get through the day." I could go on all night too. Don't get me started on the Horrible Crowes album.

Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 am

Chris, he really is the nicest person. The first thing that struck me (besides, hey he's short like me!) was that being around him is not like being around a "celebrity" i met ralph finnes (also super nice and humble) like 2 days before and he gave off an aura but not Brian. He's so chill. He was trying really hard to give everyone attention but it was hard. He signed a handful of autographs then he had a few exchanges with some people. i asked him if i could get a picture, i think he said something like "of course" or "absolutely" and put his arm around my shoulders (i like died haha) then he said to his security guard (i'm still standing there) something like "you can go if you want, i'm fine" and the guy got a look at all the crazy girls and was like "nah i'll stay" haha. then we took the picture. I then asked if I could shake his hand (he seemed almost dumbfounded as to why i'd want to, haha). and he looked me dead in the eye as i stumbled over some sort of "thank you, i appreciate you music" jumble that came out my mouth, haha.

He seriously is so nice. I met him after the Asbury Convention Hall Show (waited 3 hours in the rain!) and he talked to everyone, signed stuff, the whole nine yards. Didn't get a picture though cause he was in his car...

p.s. this is my first post in the spam thread. I've finally decided to take the plunge.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 am

NYYFAN523 wrote:

He seriously is so nice. I met him after the Asbury Convention Hall Show (waited 3 hours in the rain!) and he talked to everyone, signed stuff, the whole nine yards. Didn't get a picture though cause he was in his car...

p.s. this is my first post in the spam thread. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

Haha, he's lucky he got to stay out of the rain haha. Welcome to spam! I still feel like I'm "taking the plunge" every time I get back on here but it's a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

That's so amazing! I agree it's incredible how much people can relate to these songs. Like you guys, I've had those times where you don't just relate you're like "holy crap that's my life" or "that's exactly what happened to me!"

I can relate to any of them on some level but certain ones are huge to me. 1930 makes me cry sometimes because my grandfather died of alzheimer's so that line "i love you more than the stars in the sky but your name just escapes me tonight" just kills me. The line from Boomboxes & Dictionaries "if you're scared of the future tonight, we'll just take it each hour one at a time" I wrote that on a piece of paper and put it on my door when I was having a really tough time a year ago and need to read that every day just to get through the day." I could go on all night too. Don't get me started on the Horrible Crowes album.

That line in 1930 gets me every time too, Shelby. It makes me think of my great-grandma who had Alzheimer's and how she didn't even know who I was toward the end. She thought my dad was still a kid, so when people tried to explain who I was, it just confused her even more. But in that song, Brian made something so painful and tragic absolutely gorgeous. That's the mark of a poetic genius in my book.

And Elsie...yeah. I have cried to that album more than once. Again, every song has some personal connection with it. I don't even get how I can connect to all of these songs so much, but I do, and so do a ton of other people. It's amazing!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:11 am

NYYFAN523 wrote:

Welcome to spam! This is where all the random craziness happens, although we're a pretty quiet, thoughtful bunch tonight. Smile

That's so cool that you were able to meet Brian like that. I hope I get to someday as well, even though I'll just be a big dork. geek
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:12 am

NYYFAN523 wrote:

Haha, he's lucky he got to stay out of the rain haha. Welcome to spam! I still feel like I'm "taking the plunge" every time I get back on here but it's a lot of fun.

Haha, Shelby, I think you've been around here enough to consider yourself one of us. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 am

I'm too lazy to go through that whole past conversation, but I skimmed a bit, and being an awkward, teenaged, lonesome sort of Irish kid, growing up in Jersey, whose attempts at wooing the opposite sex can be best described as "bewildered, pretty much every song Brian has written has related to me in some way.

I can give a few examples if I scan through a few songs, if you guys want.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

That line in 1930 gets me every time too, Shelby. It makes me think of my great-grandma who had Alzheimer's and how she didn't even know who I was toward the end. She thought my dad was still a kid, so when people tried to explain who I was, it just confused her even more. But in that song, Brian made something so painful and tragic absolutely gorgeous. That's the mark of a poetic genius in my book.

And Elsie...yeah. I have cried to that album more than once. Again, every song has some personal connection with it. I don't even get how I can connect to all of these songs so much, but I do, and so do a ton of other people. It's amazing!

It really is amazing. And it's nice to have that connection. Like relating to the lyrics got me to watch more interviews with the guys (particularly Brian) and what I've learned about them from that (again mostly Brian, sometimes Benny) I'm just like "you're the same person as me but more musically talented" It's awesome because he's like ten years older than me so it's like his brain works the same as mine but he's ahead of the game so it's like he's figuring it out first and clueing me and everyone else in.

Also, just remembered what Chris said about it getting him to learn guitar again, they've done that for me too. Mainly because I know Brian messes up from time to time so i'm like okay, he's awesome and makes mistakes so i can make them too and that doesn't make me a failure. because confidence is what made me stop in the first place.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 am

NYYFAN523 wrote:

Haha, Shelby, I think you've been around here enough to consider yourself one of us. Razz

Haha, yay I feel accepted!

Go for it Matt! I love to hear how people relate to these songs.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

It really is amazing. And it's nice to have that connection. Like relating to the lyrics got me to watch more interviews with the guys (particularly Brian) and what I've learned about them from that (again mostly Brian, sometimes Benny) I'm just like "you're the same person as me but more musically talented" It's awesome because he's like ten years older than me so it's like his brain works the same as mine but he's ahead of the game so it's like he's figuring it out first and clueing me and everyone else in.

Also, just remembered what Chris said about it getting him to learn guitar again, they've done that for me too. Mainly because I know Brian messes up from time to time so i'm like okay, he's awesome and makes mistakes so i can make them too and that doesn't make me a failure. because confidence is what made me stop in the first place.

I want to learn to play the guitar someday too. That would be awesome! It's so cool that Brian insprired you and Chris to play. He is just an all around inspriational guy! Very Happy

I think what you said is perfect - that Brian is figuring life out and filling us all in. He's only a couple of years older than me so I can relate to a lot of the stuff he sings about and talks about in interviews and stuff because I've been there in my life too. Like in Our Father's Sons when he sings "All the blue and bright white collars we're all the same." On a human level with all of these confusing, sad, lonely, and hopefully happy in the end experiences, we are all the same. Lorraine reminded me of that fact recently, and I think it's something I will never forget. That's why Brian gets it. It's because he's in tune to the fact that we are all the same in certain ways.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am

MattL wrote:
I'm too lazy to go through that whole past conversation, but I skimmed a bit, and being an awkward, teenaged, lonesome sort of Irish kid, growing up in Jersey, whose attempts at wooing the opposite sex can be best described as "bewildered, pretty much every song Brian has written has related to me in some way.

I can give a few examples if I scan through a few songs, if you guys want.

Hey Matt!

Don't worry, we're all awkward in certain ways...some of us still are who haven't been teenagers for a long time. Wink It's just part of life.

If you feel like sharing, I would love to hear what songs you connect with the most. I really do love learning how these songs play a part in everybody's lives. Someone should show all of these posts to Brian so he knows how much he and his songs mean to us!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 am

"I worried and stalled every night of my life. Better safe than making the party" ---> me half the time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 am

WARNING. Extremely long, extremely mopey story ahead! JimmyB's beware!:

Spoiler'd as to not stretch/subject people to my mopeyness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 am

Don't worry, we're all awkward in certain ways.

Haha, I don't worry at all. I accept my awkwardness. It makes me unique. A lot of people like an awkward person.

Maybe that's why you're so popular here, Shannon. Razz
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:40 am

Finally got the crowd to sing along tonight. American pie always does the trick.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 am

Shannon, I imagine you can relate a lot to Brian being close to his age. I forget he's ten years older than me because he'll say something in an interview and I'll be like "hey I realized that last week, or that happened to me a few years back too". I'm growing up too fast for my age. It's nice though because when he says stuff I'm like "okay, I'm not the only one who thinks that way, it must be alright".

I LOVE that line from Our Father's Sons. It's sooo true and I think people, both blue collar and white collar, forget that sometimes.

It would be really cool sometime to do something like a book (kinda like that tattoo one people were planning) where people can contribute what songs and stuff mean to them. It'd be hard to do in a way that everyone who really wanted to share, could share, and it wouldn't be like a 700 page book though haha. Maybe like you can only pick two songs and no more than 2 sentences about it or something.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 am

JimmyB wrote:
Finally got the crowd to sing along tonight. American pie always does the trick.

Awesome! There's nothing cooler than getting the crowd to sing alone!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Spam   Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:47 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
"I worried and stalled every night of my life. Better safe than making the party" ---> me half the time

THIS!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spam   

Back to top Go down

Spam
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next