A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 comics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Judging by the recent discussion around The Dark Knight, I think we have more than a few comic book fans on here Smile

So, to get it going, favourite comic book characters? Storylines? Movies?

Lets all geek out in here Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm a big Alan Moore fan (well... a fan of his work. Not so much of his... er... character.)

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy, when it comes to comics. I like a lot of the DC heroes though, even though I don't read the comics as much, specifically Batman, Green Arrow, and the Green Lanterns.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 pm

MattL wrote:
I'm a big Alan Moore fan (well... a fan of his work. Not so much of his... er... character.)

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy, when it comes to comics. I like a lot of the DC heroes though, even though I don't read the comics as much, specifically Batman, Green Arrow, and the Green Lanterns.

Alan Moore is out there, I agree with a lot of his thoughts...and others...well...

I'm a DC through and through guy, just think there is a lot more there, especially their bad guys. And Batman, my hero. End of.

I also love Punisher (Welcome Back, Frank...is one of the best graphic novels of all time) Spawn and Wildcats.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2008-08-17
Age : 28
Location : MA

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Best comic book ever written: PREACHER
Best limited series: MAUS


(Also, I pretty much solely read Image these days)
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2008-08-17
Age : 28
Location : MA

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Y: The Last Man is a close second.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Klown wrote:

I'm a DC through and through guy, just think there is a lot more there, especially their bad guys. And Batman, my hero.

I dunno, I've always felt the DC superheroes were a bit harder to relate to. They all seemed out of this world or above-it-all. I always felt guys like Spidey were a bit easier to see myself as, and I connected to them like that. I still love the DC guys, I just don't spend as much money on their comics.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Bluuu wrote:
Best comic book ever written: PREACHER

YES.

YES.

and a bit more YES.

The guy that wrote that, lived 20 minutes away from me at one point. Love stuff like 'The Boys' and his work on 'Punisher' (the one where Frank goes to Belfast...awesome)

If anyone hasn't read Preacher, you don't belong in this thread.

Also...Transmetropolitan. Spider is da man!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2008-08-17
Age : 28
Location : MA

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Did you ever meet him???
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2012-05-21
Age : 27
Location : Overland Park, Kansas

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Klown wrote:
Bluuu wrote:
Best comic book ever written: PREACHER

YES.

YES.

and a bit more YES.

The guy that wrote that, lived 20 minutes away from me at one point. Love stuff like 'The Boys' and his work on 'Punisher' (the one where Frank goes to Belfast...awesome)

If anyone hasn't read Preacher, you don't belong in this thread.

Also...Transmetropolitan. Spider is da man!

I tried reading Preacher but I felt too dirty after the first volume. Funny, cause my favorite comic book person is the Punisher. haha
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Bluuu wrote:
Did you ever meet him???

Only got to goto a talk that he did. I also got to see a talk by Simon Furman (from my hometown) about his work on the Transformers Gen 1 comics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2008-08-17
Age : 28
Location : MA

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Klown wrote:
Bluuu wrote:
Best comic book ever written: PREACHER

YES.

YES.

and a bit more YES.

The guy that wrote that, lived 20 minutes away from me at one point. Love stuff like 'The Boys' and his work on 'Punisher' (the one where Frank goes to Belfast...awesome)

If anyone hasn't read Preacher, you don't belong in this thread.

Also...Transmetropolitan. Spider is da man!

I tried reading Preacher but I felt too dirty after the first volume. Funny, cause my favorite comic book person is the Punisher. haha

It's definitely dirty, but gets so much better at the end of volume 2
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Bluuu wrote:


It's definitely dirty, but gets so much better at the end of volume 2

Stick with Preacher, it gets SO good, and just launches into a story, that can never be beaten.

I even love the off-shots like, Saint of Killers...gawd, I love those side stories.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2008-08-17
Age : 28
Location : MA

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Just saw this on reddit. Died laughing that he has a picture of himself framed on his wall for some reason hahahaha.

Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I love those Spiderman memes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Bluuu wrote:
Just saw this on reddit. Died laughing that he has a picture of himself framed on his wall for some reason hahahaha.


I love the 1960's Spiderman memes, they're all so hysterical.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2012-05-21
Age : 27
Location : Overland Park, Kansas

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 pm

I dunno, the whole thing with religion kinda gave me a bad vibe. I went and read what happens throughout it and think Ima stay away from it.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:15 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
I dunno, the whole thing with religion kinda gave me a bad vibe. I went and read what happens throughout it and think Ima stay away from it.

That is what makes it so damn special, wait to you get to the Nazis and rednecks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 202
Join date : 2011-02-22
Location : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:01 am

Adrian Tomine. Fantastic, realistic subject matter. Incredible talent that nobody knows about. No superheroes here.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6676
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:37 am

Bluuu wrote:
Just saw this on reddit. Died laughing that he has a picture of himself framed on his wall for some reason hahahaha.

Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Anyone read any of the old Transformers comics? They released them in trade paperback form, many years later, only to release them backwards, so it was Graphic Novel 10, then it worked backwards...the Transformers story got complicated enough at times with alternate universes and such, but to have to read them backwards....

Still one of my favourite comics though, even if there was 2 main versions running along side each other, UK and US...arghhh.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Bluuu wrote:
Just saw this on reddit. Died laughing that he has a picture of himself framed on his wall for some reason hahahaha.


Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm not a fan of Spiderman, but I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the new film, and am VERY tempted.

Bought tickets to see the new Batman, one of the first showings in the world, plus we get breakfast during the film! WIN!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Klown wrote:
I'm not a fan of Spiderman, but I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the new film, and am VERY tempted.

Bought tickets to see the new Batman, one of the first showings in the world, plus we get breakfast during the film! WIN!

I'm going to see it in Imax at midnight. The theater is in a science center for kids, and they've promised to show the movie without any previews or commercials. No bullshit. Batman at 12:01 on the dot.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 38
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:40 pm

MattL wrote:
Klown wrote:
I'm not a fan of Spiderman, but I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the new film, and am VERY tempted.

Bought tickets to see the new Batman, one of the first showings in the world, plus we get breakfast during the film! WIN!

I'm going to see it in Imax at midnight. The theater is in a science center for kids, and they've promised to show the movie without any previews or commercials. No bullshit. Batman at 12:01 on the dot.

I think we get it at the same time as you guys, 5am showing, so at least we know everyone who wants to be there, will shut the hell up!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: comics   Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 pm

while I do subscribe to the odd Marvel and DC title, there's nothing like a continental European graphic novel, and you haven't seen a real comic shop until you've been into a French or German comic shop

I do have some pieces of original comic art, including an uninked full page by Leinil Yu from New Avengers #22


_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: comics   

Back to top Go down
 
comics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Comic Books and Graphic Novels
» Billy Connolly:modern comics "killing stand-up comedy
» "Funny Halloween" Comics, Gifs, etc..."

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: