A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I finally got around to seeing the performance and I have to say that it was OK, I loved how the band sounded but Brian's voice was really strained. When Brian's voice is good he sounds like the CD, when he has that hoarseness to his voice you can hear a contrast.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2012-05-19
Age : 27
Location : Swansea, Wales

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:27 pm

I like the hoarseness Smile It's always been there, just seems a bit more gravelly as he's getting older.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:59 pm

gaslightfan89 wrote:
I finally got around to seeing the performance and I have to say that it was OK, I loved how the band sounded but Brian's voice was really strained. When Brian's voice is good he sounds like the CD, when he has that hoarseness to his voice you can hear a contrast.

The audio on the taping isn't accurate to how it was live. He didn't sound anywhere near as strained live. The webcast itself really did not do justice to how it sounded in person. Which I know recordings never do but the mix sounds completely different to me in the recorded version vs live.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson


Posts : 467
Join date : 2011-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:02 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
gaslightfan89 wrote:
I finally got around to seeing the performance and I have to say that it was OK, I loved how the band sounded but Brian's voice was really strained. When Brian's voice is good he sounds like the CD, when he has that hoarseness to his voice you can hear a contrast.

The audio on the taping isn't accurate to how it was live. He didn't sound anywhere near as strained live. The webcast itself really did not do justice to how it sounded in person. Which I know recordings never do but the mix sounds completely different to me in the recorded version vs live.

That happens a lot. After the Brooklyn show I came home and started watching the stream and I honestly had to turn it off and never finished watching it. It just sounded lousy and I thought it sounded great when I was there (although some disagreed if I can recall).

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
I used to have a jacket just like the one Brian's wearing there.


You are a fool for ever parting with such a spectacular jacket haha. I pointed that out to the person I was watching it with, just how cool that jacket is.
Hehe, yeah it was a cool jacket, I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Wore it literally every day from september to december last year, got bored of it!

Ended up selling it for more than I bought it, haha.

What kind of jacket is it and where can you find it? It is awesome.
The one Brian's wearing isn't identical to the one I had so I can't help you on that one, but what I had was very, very similar.

It's a Levi's corduroy trucker jacket, but I'm pretty sure they're not available anymore. Check Amazon.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 784
Join date : 2009-11-22
Age : 27
Location : Stockholm, Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Harbortown wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
I used to have a jacket just like the one Brian's wearing there.


You are a fool for ever parting with such a spectacular jacket haha. I pointed that out to the person I was watching it with, just how cool that jacket is.
Hehe, yeah it was a cool jacket, I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Wore it literally every day from september to december last year, got bored of it!

Ended up selling it for more than I bought it, haha.

What kind of jacket is it and where can you find it? It is awesome.
The one Brian's wearing isn't identical to the one I had so I can't help you on that one, but what I had was very, very similar.

It's a Levi's corduroy trucker jacket, but I'm pretty sure they're not available anymore. Check Amazon.

That jacket brings back childhood memories for me. My dad used to wear one of those in the 90's, haha.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 39
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.

Tell him I said Pearl Jam should make another record like Backspacer and not delve into synthesizers.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 39
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.

Tell him I said Pearl Jam should make another record like Backspacer and not delve into synthesizers.

I will completely disown them if they do that again.

He can't sing a lot of the Backspacer stuff live, and during the show last week, the crowd let out a huge groan when they started Just Breathe...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.
Your point being?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 39
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.
Your point being?

There's a point, you missed it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Klown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.

Tell him I said Pearl Jam should make another record like Backspacer and not delve into synthesizers.

I will completely disown them if they do that again.

He can't sing a lot of the Backspacer stuff live, and during the show last week, the crowd let out a huge groan when they started Just Breathe...

Missing the point. Pearl Jam is better as a big rock band, not as a pseudo-Neil Young alienate-the-fan-base band.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3526
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 39
Location : Portadown, N.Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Missing the point. Pearl Jam is better as a big rock band, not as a pseudo-Neil Young alienate-the-fan-base band.

Pearl Jam as a pop-rock band, failed, horribly, they have been relying on a pop album for the past few years now, to help them through their tour, and it's failing, badly, audiences are down, and they are struggling to rely on target cities.. The whole Neil Young thing, is what brought so many to the dance, and kept them there, No Code was the album that sorted out the Ten/Vs. crowd from the fans that wanted to be there. I would be eternally happy if they went back down that direction, instead of the pure shite of Backspacer and the poor efforts that have trickled out since. I would take a million Neil Young rip-offs over such puke as Ole and Better Days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Klown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Missing the point. Pearl Jam is better as a big rock band, not as a pseudo-Neil Young alienate-the-fan-base band.

Pearl Jam as a pop-rock band, failed, horribly, they have been relying on a pop album for the past few years now, to help them through their tour, and it's failing, badly, audiences are down, and they are struggling to rely on target cities.. The whole Neil Young thing, is what brought so many to the dance, and kept them there, No Code was the album that sorted out the Ten/Vs. crowd from the fans that wanted to be there. I would be eternally happy if they went back down that direction, instead of the pure shite of Backspacer and the poor efforts that have trickled out since. I would take a million Neil Young rip-offs over such puke as Ole and Better Days.

I wasn't talking about Ole or Better Days. Whatever, though, you're pretty firmly entrenched in your beliefs and there's no room for another opinion in this debate, so I'm out.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 928
Join date : 2009-02-11
Location : 49015

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Klown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Klown wrote:
Eddie Vedder says hi, and that he has a full wardrobe of them.

Tell him I said Pearl Jam should make another record like Backspacer and not delve into synthesizers.

I will completely disown them if they do that again.

He can't sing a lot of the Backspacer stuff live, and during the show last week, the crowd let out a huge groan when they started Just Breathe...

Missing the point. Pearl Jam is better as a big rock band, not as a pseudo-Neil Young alienate-the-fan-base band.

While I agree that trying to alienate the fan base wasn't the smartest band move, those albums were still great even if they didn't reach the mass commercial success of Ten and Vs. Do you think Backspacer is better than any of the first six albums? I'm genuinely curious and would love to hear why in the PJ thread if you're up for it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm rewatching the show and I see Alex L singing background vocals in Great Expectations, but I only hear Brian's voice. Was it like this at the show/on the original livestream? I can't recall.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:25 pm

MattL wrote:
I'm rewatching the show and I see Alex L singing background vocals in Great Expectations, but I only hear Brian's voice. Was it like this at the show/on the original livestream? I can't recall.

I was practically right in front of him and I don't recall being able to hear any of his backing vocals.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
MattL wrote:
I'm rewatching the show and I see Alex L singing background vocals in Great Expectations, but I only hear Brian's voice. Was it like this at the show/on the original livestream? I can't recall.

I was practically right in front of him and I don't recall being able to hear any of his backing vocals.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I mean, you can certainly hear Alex R's background vocals, and with a lot of people wondering whether or not the first few songs' audio were edited, I was wondering if perhaps they had taken Alex L's vocals out for some reason? I guess that's not the case, though.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2012-05-19
Age : 27
Location : Swansea, Wales

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 am

I wouldn't blame them if they turned Alex L waaay down in the mix haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Whiskey1
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:26 am

What's the deal with them wearing long sleeved stuff on Letterman, do the tats need to be covered? I remember they did the same thing a couple of years back.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:28 am

Whiskey1 wrote:
What's the deal with them wearing long sleeved stuff on Letterman, do the tats need to be covered? I remember they did the same thing a couple of years back.

I guess they don't want to scare Letterman. He's pretty old.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 129
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 am

I don't know if they need to, but it's probably just good marketing sense to cover the tats on Letterman, because his audience skews older, where as Conan and Jimmy Fallon have younger audiences who wouldn't care.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey1
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:50 am

Yeah I was just interested if it was out of choice or something from the station. Maybe one day I'll ask them haha.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:03 pm

It's also unfuckingbelievably cold in Letterman's studio - notoriously. Benny, who of course would be the most active, was wearing no sleeves...so while I'm sure some of it is a conscious choice (let's see how they look when they play Fallon or any other appearances that may skew younger, it may have also just been a temperature/comfort factor.

But Shelby and I were having the conversation beforehand about how sometimes non-tattoo people (of which I am one) may judge tattoo people, but it's usually not the other way around (although some of you probably think I'm a narc, haha).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)   

Back to top Go down
 
Live on Letterman June 27 (& win tickets!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» True love will live forever
» sisip retro payment for june
» 6 june 13, tried appt
» Live Putnam County Police & Fire Scanner Link:
» I can`t live with you - Queen

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: