A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 If TGA "blows up", how will you react?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 22
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I think I'd miss them leaving the local scene. It's cool to see Brian pop up in places in the Hub City and play a show for a basement. That's the only thing I'd fear losing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 106
Join date : 2011-06-03

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 am

AmSlang59 wrote:
I experienced this with the recent success of Fun. I've been a fan of The Format/Fun. for almost a decade and seeing them play on an award show with a-list celebrities singing along was definitely odd. I won't lie, I'm a little upset that they have gotten as big as they are now (They were the "random" band I loved to show people) but I am happy for them. But something still doesn't sit right.

I'm torn. I hope they become the biggest band in the world because they genuinely deserve it, but it would be strange. I had the same experience with Fun. Dog Problems is one of my favorite albums, but I honestly haven't even listened to Some Nights. I like to think I'm not snooty about music, but hearing my mom hum the melody to We Are Young just made it inherently not cool to me. Gaslight will probably always be my favorite band, but some of the mystique will definitely be lost for me. I hate to say that, but it's probably true.
Back to top Go down
fatbench
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 34
Join date : 2012-04-10
Location : NY

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

I will react by buying tickets to their NY/NJ shows on stubhub for several times face value after getting shut out of an instant sell-out because I do not consider missing these shows an option. Oh wait... No but seriously, I hope that they continue to grow in popularity because I love the music and it should be experienced by many people. There's pure gold in Brian's lyrics, and it takes the masses a little longer to catch on to that than just a catchy tune (which they also have plenty of). While I do feel that their audience should continue to grow (and I believe it will), the selfish part of me wouldn't mind a brief halt at their current popularity so I can continue to see them in the good venues (convention hall and smaller pretty much).
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 151
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 21
Location : The 'Shires

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

They deserve it, definitely. But I'm not sure how they, as people, would take that level of fame. When I met Brian there was 10/20 people all grouped round him trying to talk to him he seemed quite uncomfortable. They deserve the money and everything that would come with it but I think right now they're at quite a good level of fame where they have enough money and can still go for a walk or go down to the supermarket without getting recognised.
No offense meant to any of them but I hope they stay that way. And with a selfish motive, I like being able to walk around school and know that none of the dickheads even know that they exist.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 630
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 23
Location : UK/New York

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:40 am

Personally I dont think they'll ever be that 'famous'.
But that's not a bad thing really.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 am

riversedge wrote:
Personally I dont think they'll ever be that 'famous'.
But that's not a bad thing really.

Yeah I can't imagine them getting to like Bieber-level fame where they can't walk anywhere without being recognized but I want them to at least get to like Munford and Sons or Arcade Fire level fame b/c at least when I say those names people have heard of them yet I can't imagine those guys get stopped on the street that often.
Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 103
Join date : 2010-02-03
Location : Boulder, CO

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:32 am

I just heard GA on the radio here in the Denver/Boulder area for the first time. I thought it was my Ipod on and then realized it was the radio. My initial response was a "gasp' and a "whoot" .....and I have to admit the very next thought was an "oh no" with a sigh.......

I'm trying to stick with my first response and I wish them all the success they deserve and busted their asses for.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 37
Location : Union, NJ

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 am

I hope they do get big because, as others have said, they do deserve it. They've worked very hard to get to the place where they can sell a lot of records and book big venues.

Is it likely to happen though? I'm not so sure. It's often been said that the proliferation of boybands and meaningless pop music means the economy's getting better. It also means the average mainstream audience doesn't want to hear somewhat depressing, heartfelt music the way Gaslight does it.

To my mind, they may more likely follow the Against Me path. That is - release an album that has one or two big "hits" on it, get a lot of airplay, reach a degree of fame, and then fade back a bit when the next big thing comes along.

Maybe I'm thinking that because, subconsciously, I also want to still be able to buy tickets and not have them sell out Giants Stadium in 3 minutes. But it's also nice to be able to say to people "have you heard of this band? They're awesome" and have them genuinely not know who you're talking about. And I say that as someone who lives in NJ and works in NYC, amidst people who should know this band!

I guess we have to wait and see just how well this album does. But remember - they've gotten lots of publicity in the past. Rolling Stone's pushed them, they've been on Letterman and Conan, and yet they haven't really blown up yet.
Back to top Go down
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-19
Age : 30
Location : Preston, UK

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Do bands who make decent rock music really get "famous" anymore?

Kings of Leon are a good example - first two albums are great but their popular music, which got them to that next level and which was eaten up by the masses, is no where near the same standard imo.

I'd love Gaslight to reach that level of success without having to release a chart-friendly pop album but frankly, I can't see this happening. I have no faith in the music-buying public, they'd rather buy Tin Pan Alley, X Factor, Bieber bullshit.

They make a completely different style of rock music but Elbow are a band who have managed to attain a reasonable amount of success (at least in the UK) without having to "sell out" musically. It did take them nearly a decade and a HUGE hit (One Day Like This) to get them some mainstream recognition though.
Back to top Go down
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 34
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 pm

I'd embrace it, more for the sake of the guys than myself. As much as I try to spread the Gaslight gospel to others, I'd actually feel rather conflicted if the public at large decided that they like TGA, becuase that's the same public that has embraced Justin Bieber and Nicky Minaj.

But on the other hand, I've felt all along that Brian has a very clear sense of how TGA is going to progress. Eschewing the major labels in favor of more time on a minor label in order to hone his/their craft and to maintain creative control over their work was an incredibly bold move and fills me with a confidence in the integrity of this band that I haven't felt about anyone in a long time.

I'd love for them to become the Foo Fighters of their time, generally universally respected by devotees of almost any genre, but never sacrificing their sound or integrity to become pure "pop" stars.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:12 am

markbarlow wrote:
Do bands who make decent rock music really get "famous" anymore?

Kings of Leon are a good example - first two albums are great but their popular music, which got them to that next level and which was eaten up by the masses, is no where near the same standard imo.

I'd love Gaslight to reach that level of success without having to release a chart-friendly pop album but frankly, I can't see this happening. I have no faith in the music-buying public, they'd rather buy Tin Pan Alley, X Factor, Bieber bullshit.

They make a completely different style of rock music but Elbow are a band who have managed to attain a reasonable amount of success (at least in the UK) without having to "sell out" musically. It did take them nearly a decade and a HUGE hit (One Day Like This) to get them some mainstream recognition though.

Black Keys. Arctic Monkeys. Rise Against. Arcade Fire.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 am

CluckyB wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Do bands who make decent rock music really get "famous" anymore?

Kings of Leon are a good example - first two albums are great but their popular music, which got them to that next level and which was eaten up by the masses, is no where near the same standard imo.

I'd love Gaslight to reach that level of success without having to release a chart-friendly pop album but frankly, I can't see this happening. I have no faith in the music-buying public, they'd rather buy Tin Pan Alley, X Factor, Bieber bullshit.

They make a completely different style of rock music but Elbow are a band who have managed to attain a reasonable amount of success (at least in the UK) without having to "sell out" musically. It did take them nearly a decade and a HUGE hit (One Day Like This) to get them some mainstream recognition though.

Black Keys. Arctic Monkeys. Rise Against. Arcade Fire.


LOL Rise Against
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 606
Join date : 2010-08-05
Age : 30
Location : scottsdale, arizona

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:02 am

AmSlang59 wrote:
I'm curious how you all will react if TGA gets very well known. I'm talking #1 singles, headlining huge venues, on every commercial, etc. I know we all would love to say that we would be happy for them receiving new fans but I know that some people would be upset that their "secret" gained more fans. Think: The Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, The Killers.

I experienced this with the recent success of Fun. I've been a fan of The Format/Fun. for almost a decade and seeing them play on an award show with a-list celebrities singing along was definitely odd. I won't lie, I'm a little upset that they have gotten as big as they are now (They were the "random" band I loved to show people) but I am happy for them. But something still doesn't sit right.

I'd like your honest opinions on this.

just have to say that i feel the SAME way about fun./the format. nate is an old friend of mine from the AZ days and while he hasn't gotten so big that he can't remember my name, it's very surreal to see the success vs. where he was ten years ago. that being said, i am happy for them, but i know what you mean.'

as for gaslight, i think they DESERVE to be the biggest band in the world. nate ruess and brian fallon are my music gods, honestly. i want TGA to be hugely successful, but at the same time, i never want them to forget the fans that have been there all along Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Do bands who make decent rock music really get "famous" anymore?

Kings of Leon are a good example - first two albums are great but their popular music, which got them to that next level and which was eaten up by the masses, is no where near the same standard imo.

I'd love Gaslight to reach that level of success without having to release a chart-friendly pop album but frankly, I can't see this happening. I have no faith in the music-buying public, they'd rather buy Tin Pan Alley, X Factor, Bieber bullshit.

They make a completely different style of rock music but Elbow are a band who have managed to attain a reasonable amount of success (at least in the UK) without having to "sell out" musically. It did take them nearly a decade and a HUGE hit (One Day Like This) to get them some mainstream recognition though.

Black Keys. Arctic Monkeys. Rise Against. Arcade Fire.


LOL Rise Against

What about 'em? They aren't a favorite, but they certainly fit the "decent" standard setforth by the OP.
Back to top Go down
bobbyw24
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 47
Location : Jacksonville, Fla

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 am

I do hope that the band makes it big--they deserve it

I also hope that when they blow up that they still play smaller venues for real fans
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 406
Join date : 2010-09-19
Age : 30
Location : Preston, UK

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 am

CluckyB wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Do bands who make decent rock music really get "famous" anymore?

Kings of Leon are a good example - first two albums are great but their popular music, which got them to that next level and which was eaten up by the masses, is no where near the same standard imo.

I'd love Gaslight to reach that level of success without having to release a chart-friendly pop album but frankly, I can't see this happening. I have no faith in the music-buying public, they'd rather buy Tin Pan Alley, X Factor, Bieber bullshit.

They make a completely different style of rock music but Elbow are a band who have managed to attain a reasonable amount of success (at least in the UK) without having to "sell out" musically. It did take them nearly a decade and a HUGE hit (One Day Like This) to get them some mainstream recognition though.

Black Keys. Arctic Monkeys. Rise Against. Arcade Fire.


LOL Rise Against

What about 'em? They aren't a favorite, but they certainly fit the "decent" standard setforth by the OP.

I don't know how big they are in the states but Rise Against have nowhere near the level of fame which Kings of Leon have in the UK. I saw them at Manchester Apollo, the seated area wasn't full and people left after Tom Morello. If anything I'd say Gaslight are already bigger than them over here. Pretty certain Gaslight sold out Manchester Apollo in 2010 and people weren't there to see the support (as much as I love Chuck Ragan!). I'd also argue that Rise Against have had to make their sound more mainstream to get to where they've got.

Black Keys and Arctic Monkeys - yes they're both at arena level but I doubt they could sell a stadium gig (Arctics seem to be getting less and less famous with each album). I agree with Arcade Fire but they seem to be the exception. Still making the music they want to make and drawing huge crowds.

Another exception, and one I've just thought of, is Muse.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6681
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Rise Against's sound definitely turned more mainstream.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1227
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 26
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:24 pm

Slightly off-topic, but the polished studio sound and "woho woho woho" in the Handwritten preview immediately made me think of Rise Against's latest record.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6681
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Not a far off comparison at all.

I would add that they pull it off handsomely though, whereas Rise Against sound kinda corny.
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1918
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 33
Location : Washington State, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 pm

haha Rise Against sound corny? Don't hear a band labeled as "corny" too often. But, ah, I guess I can see it. (Sorry Steph. If this warrants a frying pan, well, it warrants a frying pan). Razz

As far as my opinion, if Gaslight does "blow up" I'd be pretty pumped for the guys. I think, probably like most here, that they really deserve it. But, I would be bummed if they start playing bigger venues as it wouldn't be so close and personal like it always has been. But...still...I'd be pumped for them.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6681
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 pm

TGAforLIFE wrote:
haha Rise Against sound corny? Don't hear a band labeled as "corny" too often. But, ah, I guess I can see it. (Sorry Steph. If this warrants a frying pan, well, it warrants a frying pan). Razz
Don't apologize to her! Don't give into her crazy feminist antics!
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1918
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 33
Location : Washington State, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Harbortown wrote:
TGAforLIFE wrote:
haha Rise Against sound corny? Don't hear a band labeled as "corny" too often. But, ah, I guess I can see it. (Sorry Steph. If this warrants a frying pan, well, it warrants a frying pan). Razz
Don't apologize to her! Don't give into her crazy feminist antics!

lol!

Thanks man. Appreciate the support.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   

Back to top Go down
 
If TGA "blows up", how will you react?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Chemical Plant Explodes and Burns, Evacuation Underway
» Husband blows himself up trying to kill a spider with an aerosol
» I have an idea about our SISIP refunds so please react accordingly.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: