A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What happened to "Bring It On"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm

I know this a really old thread but today Listened to the whole American Slang album and wondered what happened to this song. It was one of the songs that was promoted with a video and played on Letterman. They don't play most of As anymore and I don't get it. Anyone hear anything recent from the band on this? I guess it's like Tom Petty with the Long After Dark album.
Back to top Go down
http://secretofthesound.com
Hirti
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Listen to the lyrics. Should be pretty clear why they stopped playing it.
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:03 pm

I get that it's a personal song that deals with heartbreak so does all of Elsie and Get Hurt what makes Bring it on different?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:31 am

I would kill to hear this song live... Definitely my favorite Gaslight song. I don't think they scrapped it for personal reasons, all of Gaslight's songs are very personal and emotional as brianpd said. I think they just don't view American Slang as their best work, which I completely disagree with.  Which is why Orphans, Stay Lucky, Spirit of Jazz, Boxer, and We Did It When We Were Young don't get played very much either.

Honestly, I think as time goes on they decide which songs they're gonna continue practicing for a tour and these ones have fallen through the cracks. I don't think they really even realize it. They probably just don't play them because they don't remember how. I actually remember hearing someone requesting Bring It On at an acoustic show and Brian complaining about how it had "too many chords." So I doubt it's anything personal that's keeping it off the setlist

I would be willing to bet that those unplayed songs on AS would get as strong a reaction as a lot of the '59 Sound songs. At least with me, haha

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:38 am

Agreed about forgetting. There's a few of my own songs I don't play anymore (personal reasons, and I would rather not go back to that mindframe), and I've forgotten the chords.
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:09 am

I agree with everything deathofthecool said. And I also love American Slang. Why they don't view as a good record confuses me. And I don't think it would be two hard to relearn the songs I just think they don't want to. I think they look at 59 Sound as great and sos as songs they still enjoy. Then they clearly like there newer albums. As sadly is the one that doesn't get played.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Working til 8pm Xmas Eve but I have American Slang blasting out loud!!
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Right on!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sami
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:55 pm

My two cents. American Slang should been their breakthrough album, because there was all this hype and probably some pressure on the band to make a really good album after 59 Sound. Then the record, not necessarily flobbed, but it wasnt the breakthrough either. Bad memories of that? Just disappointed with that record? Bands are weird...
Its weird that Frank Turner also plays very rarely Poetry Of The Deeds songs. Also his third album and what was supposed to be somewhat breakthrough album. And he has even said in interviews that he isnt that happy with the way it sounds. Oasis had that same kinda problem with their 3rd album Be Here Now. Fans liked it, but the band or at least Noel thought it was horrible (overproduction, because having too much money and cocaine) and they played very rarely songs from it
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:19 am

Sami wrote:
Oasis had that same kinda problem with their 3rd album Be Here Now. Fans liked it
This may or may not be an appropriate time to mention that Be Here Now was my favourite album from its release until T59S succeeded it a few years ago.

Back on track, there may be something to the theory of a "difficult" third album, but i'm not sure it's true of TGA. They were backing up from a superb album, which received almost universal praise. Yet still AS sounded the same but different, and again received very positive reviews. The fans like it (it's 2 votes from having the lead in the poll here asking for favourite album excluding T59S), and it gets played live a lot (according to setlist.fm, American Slang, The Queen Of Lower Chelsea and The Diamond Church Street Choir are among their 15 most-played live songs).

And even more back on track, Bring It On is superb. Not my favourite track off AS, but it excites me more than any other track on that album.
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:08 pm

The problem is they play the same American Slang songs every time. It's always American Slang, The Diamond Church Street Choir,Old Haunts,and The Queen Of Lower Chelsea. Like I get American Slang and Diamond being live staples but why Old Haunts every show. It just dosent make sense.
Back to top Go down
Sami
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:28 pm

brianpd wrote:
The problem is they play the same American Slang songs every time. It's always American Slang, The Diamond Church Street Choir,Old Haunts,and The Queen Of Lower Chelsea. Like I get American Slang and Diamond being live staples but why Old Haunts every show. It just dosent make sense.

Exactly. Offtopic again, but also with Frank its always the same 3-4 songs from Poetry and thats pretty annoying when that album is full of great songs and with other it differs almost every night. As with Gaslight they tend to play almost everything from 59 Sound and Handwritten
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:48 pm

They did play Stay Lucky in Europe last time, which was pretty cool to hear again (via a tape for me).
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:34 pm

That's cool that they have played Stay Lucky a few times this year! Maybe more to come but I doubt it haha.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:55 am

I agree with what Hirti said, it's pretty obvious that they don't play Bring It On for personal reasons at the moment. Somebody asked for it at the Ramones Museum show and Brian said quite clearly that he won't/can't play it.

As for the other songs of AS. I don't see that they don't like AS, I just think that different tours have a different focus. Perhaps in 2014 it was not AS. But in 2013 I've definitely heard a lot AS songs live, e.g. Orphans, Boxer, Spirit Of Jazz and all the above mentioned sings. And according to setlist.fm they played more of AS than from SOS in 2013. 

There is the same discussion about SOS every other month, so I think everyone of us has favourite songs/albums and wants to hear them. They change over time for us which I guess is the same for the band as well and this then results in rather varied setlists, more than from most other bands I listen to. And personally I am very happy about this variation and about the fact that they focused on Get Hurt on this tour, it's such a brilliant album.

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by enola on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Wow I hadn't heard the story about the Ramones museum that's very interesting. Is there a video of the fan asking?
Back to top Go down
FaithAndASwitchblade
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:26 am

Labhras wrote:
it's just springsteen knock off anyway

HAHAHAHA.  no.

as for the topic at hand, get hurt was written, from what ive read, as a sort of therapy for Brian. 10 years of marriage. thats a long time. i was married for 7. divorce sucks. bring it on dealt with divorce. not just divorce, but the aspect of her walking out. it seems like it was like the beginning of the divorce. get hurt was the aftermath. perhaps, that particular song resonates in a place he doesnt want to revisit.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:10 pm

FaithAndASwitchblade wrote:
Labhras wrote:

HAHAHAHA.  no.

as for the topic at hand,  get hurt was written, from what ive read, as a sort of therapy for Brian.  10 years of marriage.  thats a long time.  i was married for 7.  divorce sucks.  bring it on dealt with divorce.  not just divorce, but the aspect of her walking out.  it seems like it was like the beginning of the divorce.  get hurt was the aftermath.  perhaps, that particular song resonates in a place he doesnt want to revisit.

Back in 2010 Brian said in an interview that as far as this song goes, he wasn't the person being left or the person leaving, he was the person caught in the middle.
Back to top Go down
FaithAndASwitchblade
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
FaithAndASwitchblade wrote:
Labhras wrote:

HAHAHAHA.  no.

as for the topic at hand,  get hurt was written, from what ive read, as a sort of therapy for Brian.  10 years of marriage.  thats a long time.  i was married for 7.  divorce sucks.  bring it on dealt with divorce.  not just divorce, but the aspect of her walking out.  it seems like it was like the beginning of the divorce.  get hurt was the aftermath.  perhaps, that particular song resonates in a place he doesnt want to revisit.

Back in 2010 Brian said in an interview that as far as this song goes, he wasn't the person being left or the person leaving, he was the person caught in the middle.

I know that, but he wasn't divorced yet. Now that he has experienced it firsthand, maybe that's the reason he doesn't want to play it. American Slang dealt with a lot of topics pretty universal to life. Actually all their songs do. But i thi
Back to top Go down
brianpd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm

It could be. Hopefully this song gets played again with some of the other American Slang songs that have been neglected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happened to "Bring It On"?   

Back to top Go down

What happened to "Bring It On"?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2