A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm

I agree with Red in the Morning. To me fits the record all right but I just hear it and think, "they can do better". It sounds like a song that should have been left of the cutting room floor so to speak. Don't hate it but don't like it either.

Speaking of THC separately, I'd pick I witnessed a crime only because the keyboard part gets on my nerves.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 12:25 am

Our Father's Sons easily. If I have to pick something on an album I'd say probably Red In The Morning. I love the style of the song, but I agree with StichesOnTheRadio in that you can kind of tell that it's below their standards.

I can't believe the number of Angry Johnnys in this thread, by the way. One of my favs on Sink Or Swim.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 12:29 am

Seriously, Angry Johnny is one of the best they've written.

Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 106
Join date : 2011-06-03

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Never liked We're Getting a Divorce. The cheeky zombie lyrics stand in awkward contrast to everything I love about Brian's usually earnest songwriting. I would say Red in the Morning with everyone else, but I hated the first 20 seconds so much I don't think I've ever listened to the whole song.

Crowes' is flawless.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 12:38 am

Harbortown wrote:
Seriously, Angry Johnny is one of the best they've written.


Agreed. A long angry Johnny with a good tag is alwqys a live highlight. Great song.

Red in the morning is definitely not one of their best, and they know that, why they rarely played it. Hell Benny told me before KC in '10 that he wanted to play it because someone said they couldn't. So basically, it was brought out on a dare.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 am

Angry Johnny really is one of my favorites on the album, why do you guys personally dislike it?
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1580
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : Philadelphia, PA

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 am

CluckyB wrote:
colmillionaire wrote:
Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.

Still not sure how you can like the National but not love something like Sugar, but oh well...


I only really like The National for Matt's voice. The music is pretty alright, nothing too special for me though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1580
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : Philadelphia, PA

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 am

I'm also amazed that Angry Johnny has been mentioned. Different strokes, amiright?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 am

colmillionaire wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
colmillionaire wrote:
Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.

Still not sure how you can like the National but not love something like Sugar, but oh well...


I only really like The National for Matt's voice. The music is pretty alright, nothing too special for me though.

Ah okay. Its the voice, the lyrics, the song style... pretty much everything for me.

What is there to really love about Angry Johnny? Its low tempo while staying loud/drum heavy (pretty much always a bad combo), lyrics aren't Brian's best... pretty much the only thing special is "and on and on and on" part. But compared to the rest of the Gaslight library... it just doesn't hold up.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : Philadelphia

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 am

Fair point. I can see the overt Dylan-isms being a detraction for a lot of people
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 931
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 32
Location : Wigan, England

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Christophe wrote:
Personally there is one song I don't particularly like and that's Red In The Morning. I think it is just very different and doesn't really fit their style in my opinion. Another one I find interesting as a lot of Gaslight fans on here say it is their favourite but Cowgirls is one of my lesser favourite songs. I guess again as it is a bit of an oddball song I just can't get into it like some others. It is still a cool song though just not one of my favourites.

I'd pretty much agree with Christophe on these two. Theyre my least favourite. On 'Cowgirls' I like the lyrics a lot but the song as a whole is sometimes a skipper for me.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 80
Join date : 2012-04-05
Age : 24
Location : Monmouth County, Nj

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

This might be a strange choice, but it took me a looonnnngggg time to finally listen to Miles Davis and the Cool without skipping it. To me, it felt like it took a while to really get going.

Since then though I'm fine with the song and it fits in the regular rotation but for like six months I had no interest in that song
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 8:56 am

'49mercury wrote:
This might be a strange choice, but it took me a looonnnngggg time to finally listen to Miles Davis and the Cool without skipping it. To me, it felt like it took a while to really get going.

Since then though I'm fine with the song and it fits in the regular rotation but for like six months I had no interest in that song
I'm with you on that one.

I'd say about 50% of the time I skip that song. It's got some wonderful lyrics and I absolutely love the verses, the chorus just doesn't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 163
Join date : 2010-10-27
Location : Lincolnshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 9:09 am

Can't believe some people are saying Cowgirls, it's a great song! It is all opinion though I suppose.

The weakest Gaslight tracks for me are We're Getting A Divorce, Say I Won't, Boxer, and Our Father's Sons. I don't dislike them as such, but they do frequently get skipped. I am also not the biggest fan of 'Id'a called you Woody, Joe', although I like the sentiment.

In terms of Horrible Crowes, I love how Last Rites opens the album, it's perfect despite being short. I consider the weakest tracks Black Betty & The Moon and I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together.

I guess I'm lucky, I haven't heard a single Gaslight song yet where I've thought 'yeah, this is rubbish' and skip every time.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 37
Location : Union, NJ

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 am

azlisa wrote:
i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.

Something about that song really irritates me too. I usually skip past it when listening to the album. I know it's meant to be a whole reggae kinda thing, but it doesn't work...

The one song that I've never really liked from TGA is Old White Lincoln. I know people love it, and I'll have shoes thrown at me for saying it, but seems so trite to me.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-04-21
Age : 26
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

njguy99 wrote:
azlisa wrote:
i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.

Something about that song really irritates me too. I usually skip past it when listening to the album. I know it's meant to be a whole reggae kinda thing, but it doesn't work...

The one song that I've never really liked from TGA is Old White Lincoln. I know people love it, and I'll have shoes thrown at me for saying it, but seems so trite to me.

affraid I'm emptying my shoe cupboard as I speak!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 37
Location : Union, NJ

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 am

Christophe wrote:
affraid I'm emptying my shoe cupboard as I speak!

Better be a slew of high-top sneakers!

afro
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2010-04-21
Age : 26
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 10:09 am

njguy99 wrote:
Christophe wrote:
affraid I'm emptying my shoe cupboard as I speak!

Better be a slew of high-top sneakers!

afro

There's a variation of shoe types but primarily high top sneakers yeah Laughing Prepare for a barrage!
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 323
Join date : 2010-06-03
Location : NJ in my veins, DC under my feet

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 11:13 am

film noir, hands down.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 11:30 am

Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

Also, I Witnessed A Crime is in the upper echelon of THC tracks for me.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 80
Join date : 2012-04-05
Age : 24
Location : Monmouth County, Nj

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 pm

[quote="njguy99"]
azlisa wrote:
i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.

I totally agree with I witnessed a crime being the weakest on Elsie, even "I Believe..." as slow and drawn out as it is, seems better.

Harbortown: I had to relisten to Miles today just to be sure I was making the right call, and it isnt until about the two or two and half minute mark do I like the song which is halfway and then some.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : Philadelphia

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
film noir, hands down.

Totally understandable
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 323
Join date : 2010-06-03
Location : NJ in my veins, DC under my feet

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 1:31 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

Also, I Witnessed A Crime is in the upper echelon of THC tracks for me.

not to branch this off into a different discussion, but i actually find 59 sound to be the weakest overall record, redeemed by some of their best songs.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

Also, I Witnessed A Crime is in the upper echelon of THC tracks for me.

not to branch this off into a different discussion, but i actually find 59 sound to be the weakest overall record, redeemed by some of their best songs.

Aw, man, why'd you have to say that?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   Wed May 30, 2012 3:04 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Oh, God, now people are saying Miles Davis, Divorce, Film Noir, and Old White Lincoln? Yikes. There really are different strokes, I guess...

Also, I Witnessed A Crime is in the upper echelon of THC tracks for me.

not to branch this off into a different discussion, but i actually find 59 sound to be the weakest overall record, redeemed by some of their best songs.

Aw, man, why'd you have to say that?

Smile I couldn't disagree more, I think American Slang is their weakest record overall by a wide margin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   

Back to top Go down
 
LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» AMY'S SONG WRITTEN BY HER COUSIN BEVERLEY O SULLIVAN
» Song titles which don't feature anywhere in the lyrics
» Favorite member of Pentatonix?
» The Last Letter Song Thread
» the most evil song i can find

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: