A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:18 am

holdsteady82 wrote:
What's the best any GA single/track has done on the billboards? For example, has 45 done better than singles from T59S and AS? I would think it would be disappointing if not, considering the "opportunities of reaching a wider audience" that a major is suppossed to provide.

T59S hit the mid 30s on the alt rock chart. Nothing on AS charted. Album was like 14 or 15. Hoping Handwritten cracks top ten Smile
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 am

CluckyB wrote:
holdsteady82 wrote:
What's the best any GA single/track has done on the billboards? For example, has 45 done better than singles from T59S and AS? I would think it would be disappointing if not, considering the "opportunities of reaching a wider audience" that a major is suppossed to provide.

T59S hit the mid 30s on the alt rock chart. Nothing on AS charted. Album was like 14 or 15. Hoping Handwritten cracks top ten Smile

Thanks "CluckyB". After taking the time to look, assuming the info. was accurate, it seems like T59S's single debut was a spot better than the single 45, but overall 45's peak spot has done the best at #19 so far. So AS the album sold better than T59S, right? Do you think Handwritten will out sell AS album wise? I think Handwritten will do really well!
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm

For the week of July 28, "45" is up to #18 on the Alternative Songs chart and #39 on the rock charts.

Just to compare chart history - SoS didn't chart, but T59S and AS both did.

T59S debuted and peaked at #70 and spent one week on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #21 on the Alternative Albums chart, #25 on the Rock Albums chart, and #7 on the Independent Albums chart.

AS debuted at its peak of #16 and spent six weeks on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #3 on the Alternative Albums chart, #5 on the Rock Albums chart, and #1 on the Independent Albums chart.

American Slang did about 26K its first week of release, and Handwritten will do at least that (who the hell bought AS on its release and wouldn't do the same for this album, even if fewer people are buying music now?). The top two albums this week (Zac Brown Band and Frank Ocean) sold 233K and 131K, and then number 3 was 45K and number 10 was 32K.

I'm not sure what sales numbers Handwritten will do, but there aren't any huge new releases next week - Passion Pit (which is slightly outpacing Gaslight on Amazon presales) is the biggest one other than our boys. The big new releases this week aren't necessarily competition (Nas, Kidz Bop, Dark Knight Rises soundtrack) and aren't the type that really have staying power, either.

I just can't imagine that Handwritten not doing well enough to get into the top ten or even higher.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:52 pm

American Slang got THAT high on the alternative charts and still nobody knows who the f*ck I'm talking about when I mention them? (I'm talking about out of my friends who listen to alternative).

I give up on humanity.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd like to point out that Handwritten must've gotten its fair share of pre-orders, because the songs were all put on NPR for streaming. Why would they do that unless they were satisfied with pre-sales?
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:36 pm

jdc wrote:
For the week of July 28, "45" is up to #18 on the Alternative Songs chart and #39 on the rock charts.

Just to compare chart history - SoS didn't chart, but T59S and AS both did.

T59S debuted and peaked at #70 and spent one week on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #21 on the Alternative Albums chart, #25 on the Rock Albums chart, and #7 on the Independent Albums chart.

AS debuted at its peak of #16 and spent six weeks on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #3 on the Alternative Albums chart, #5 on the Rock Albums chart, and #1 on the Independent Albums chart.

American Slang did about 26K its first week of release, and Handwritten will do at least that (who the hell bought AS on its release and wouldn't do the same for this album, even if fewer people are buying music now?). The top two albums this week (Zac Brown Band and Frank Ocean) sold 233K and 131K, and then number 3 was 45K and number 10 was 32K.

I'm not sure what sales numbers Handwritten will do, but there aren't any huge new releases next week - Passion Pit (which is slightly outpacing Gaslight on Amazon presales) is the biggest one other than our boys. The big new releases this week aren't necessarily competition (Nas, Kidz Bop, Dark Knight Rises soundtrack) and aren't the type that really have staying power, either.

I just can't imagine that Handwritten not doing well enough to get into the top ten or even higher.


I'm guessing it'll chart in the lower half of the top ten. 5 or above would surprise me, below 10 would disappoint me.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm

CluckyB wrote:
jdc wrote:
For the week of July 28, "45" is up to #18 on the Alternative Songs chart and #39 on the rock charts.

Just to compare chart history - SoS didn't chart, but T59S and AS both did.

T59S debuted and peaked at #70 and spent one week on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #21 on the Alternative Albums chart, #25 on the Rock Albums chart, and #7 on the Independent Albums chart.

AS debuted at its peak of #16 and spent six weeks on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It peaked at #3 on the Alternative Albums chart, #5 on the Rock Albums chart, and #1 on the Independent Albums chart.

American Slang did about 26K its first week of release, and Handwritten will do at least that (who the hell bought AS on its release and wouldn't do the same for this album, even if fewer people are buying music now?). The top two albums this week (Zac Brown Band and Frank Ocean) sold 233K and 131K, and then number 3 was 45K and number 10 was 32K.

I'm not sure what sales numbers Handwritten will do, but there aren't any huge new releases next week - Passion Pit (which is slightly outpacing Gaslight on Amazon presales) is the biggest one other than our boys. The big new releases this week aren't necessarily competition (Nas, Kidz Bop, Dark Knight Rises soundtrack) and aren't the type that really have staying power, either.

I just can't imagine that Handwritten not doing well enough to get into the top ten or even higher.


I'm guessing it'll chart in the lower half of the top ten. 5 or above would surprise me, below 10 would disappoint me.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 928
Join date : 2009-02-11
Location : 49015

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:44 pm

jdc wrote:
American Slang did about 26K its first week of release, and Handwritten will do at least that (who the hell bought AS on its release and wouldn't do the same for this album, even if fewer people are buying music now?). The top two albums this week (Zac Brown Band and Frank Ocean) sold 233K and 131K, and then number 3 was 45K and number 10 was 32K.

I'm not sure what sales numbers Handwritten will do, but there aren't any huge new releases next week - Passion Pit (which is slightly outpacing Gaslight on Amazon presales) is the biggest one other than our boys. The big new releases this week aren't necessarily competition (Nas, Kidz Bop, Dark Knight Rises soundtrack) and aren't the type that really have staying power, either.

I just can't imagine that Handwritten not doing well enough to get into the top ten or even higher.
The real question is how much bigger is Gaslight now than in 2010? Even though they have Mercury behind them, they're still not a huge band that's going to sell 100k albums in a week. I haven't checked recent charts to see what similar bands are moving these days but I'd expect something like 35k-45k in week #1. Any less would have to be a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm

As long as it's top 10, it's not a disappointment to me no matter what the actual number is.

Just for some comparable bands who we talk about on here or who are otherwise potentially relevant comparisons (feel free to ask me about some others, I'll look for them):

Rise Against, Endgame (2011): 85K
Tom Waits, Bad As Me (2011): 61K
The National, High Violet (2010): 56K
Ryan Adams, Ashes & Fire (2011): 50K
Rancid, Let the Dominoes Fall (2009): 33K
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Here (2012): 29K
Taking Back Sunday, self-titled (2011): 28K
Alkaline Trio, This Addiction (2010): 26K
Offspring, Days Go By (2012): 24K
The Hold Steady, Heaven is Whenever (2010): 23K
Against Me!, White Crosses (2010): 11K

Keep in mind that this is Gaslight's first major label debut with ANY real radio support (highest reaching single, on some countdown shows) and that they pulled 26K in 2010 with American Slang.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 pm

And just for fun, here is the 10th best selling record of each week this year (through the start of July), to give a perspective on what the guys would have to sell (on average) to be top 10:

Week 1: 36K (Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV)
Week 2: 23K (Florence + The Machine, Ceremonials)
Week 3: 18K (Now That's What I Call Music 40)
Week 4: 17K (LMFAO, Sorry for Party Rocking)
Week 5: 25K (Kari Jobe, Where I Find You)
Week 6: 23K (LMFAO, Sorry for Party Rocking)
Week 7: 32K (Drake, Take Care)
Week 8: 35K (Coldplay, Mylo Xyloto)
Week 9: 28K (Grammy Nominees 2012)
Week 10: 25K (Whitney Houston, I Turn To You)
Week 11: 27K (Adele, 19)
Week 12: 22K (Fun., Some Nights)
Week 13: 24K (Esperanza Spalding, Radio Music Society)
Week 14: 25K (Luke Bryan, Tailgates and Tanlines)
Week 15: 36K (Shinedown, Amaryllis(
Week 16: 30K (Hoodie Allen, All American)
Week 17: 27K (Jack Johnson and Friends, Best of Kokua Festival)
Week 18: 30K (Jason Mraz, Love is a Four Letter Word)
Week 19: 32K (Marilyn Manson, Born Villain)
Week 20: 27K (Gotye, Making Mirrors)
Week 21: 34K (One Direction, Up All Night)
Week 22: 26K (Norah Jones, Little Broken Hearts)
Week 23: 23K (Lionel Ritchie, Tuskeegee)
Week 24: 27K (Carrie Underwood, Blown Away)
Week 25: 33K (Alan Jackson, Thirty Miles West)
Week 26: 26K (Luke Bryan, Tailgates and Tanlines)
Week 27: 28K (Rock of Ages soundtrack)

On average, the 10th best selling record does a little over 27K this year. AS did 26K, which would have been good enough to get it into the top 10 twelve times over the course of the year. There is actually a week where that would have been top 5. To guarantee top 10, tThey will have to do a bit better, but with a major label, shouldn't they?

Also, anyone who is a stats person who wants to measure things like standard deviation of the top 10, etc., feel free!

(BTW, mods, I realize this was originally a "45" thread, so if you want to move the last couple of posts or start another one, that's cool with me).
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 106
Join date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:05 pm

at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

on 2: "bravo hits 78", 3 = linkin park
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2010-08-24
Location : London, UK / Vienna, Austria

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

_________________
Manuela
twitter / instagram / youtube / last.fm

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm

#9 on iTunes in Luxembourg. looks like i'm not the only one buying their albums here... where are all these people hiding??
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:50 pm

enola wrote:
PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

I wish there was even a chance of this happening in the US. We're all too dumb here to listen to good music.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
enola wrote:
PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

I wish there was even a chance of this happening in the US. We're all too dumb here to listen to good music.

Fairly sure AS hit #1 for a bit here too. iTunes charts tends to skew heavily to new releases. Passion Pit might stay on top this time around, but wouldn't be at all surprises if it hits #2.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 am

CluckyB wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
enola wrote:
PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

I wish there was even a chance of this happening in the US. We're all too dumb here to listen to good music.

Fairly sure AS hit #1 for a bit here too. iTunes charts tends to skew heavily to new releases. Passion Pit might stay on top this time around, but wouldn't be at all surprises if it hits #2.

Did it really? I mean maybe with iTunes. 45 hit #6 on the rock charts there. But I feel like more people who know who the heck they were if it hit #1 on a more legitimate chart and for more than like a day.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1983
Join date : 2009-07-03
Age : 25
Location : Columbia, Missouri

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 am

I can't remember if it was #1 but I know they did fairly well on the iTunes charts. Of course the iTunes charts don't mean as much as others. But Wiki says American Slang hit #16 on the Billboard 200, which is pretty good. I didn't realize it was that high.
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 106
Join date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:42 am

amazon.de (Germany) sounds like this at the moment:
Handwritten (Limited Deluxe Edition)
The Gaslight Anthem
Nr. 1 in Musik
Nr. 1 in Musik > Pop
Nr. 1 in Musik > Limited Edition
Nr. 1 in Musik > Rock
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 pm

PPQ wrote:
amazon.de (Germany) sounds like this at the moment:
Handwritten (Limited Deluxe Edition)
The Gaslight Anthem
Nr. 1 in Musik
Nr. 1 in Musik > Pop
Nr. 1 in Musik > Limited Edition
Nr. 1 in Musik > Rock

On US Amazon, the standard CD is #41 and the vinyl is #50 (the deluxe is #140, I think). The standard has been in the top 100 for 12 days (and I think all of those have been #50 or greater).
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:34 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
enola wrote:
PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

I wish there was even a chance of this happening in the US. We're all too dumb here to listen to good music.

Fairly sure AS hit #1 for a bit here too. iTunes charts tends to skew heavily to new releases. Passion Pit might stay on top this time around, but wouldn't be at all surprises if it hits #2.

Did it really? I mean maybe with iTunes. 45 hit #6 on the rock charts there. But I feel like more people who know who the heck they were if it hit #1 on a more legitimate chart and for more than like a day.

I'm talking about the album. Singles charts are harder to get to the top of.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 2996
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:03 pm

CluckyB wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
enola wrote:
PPQ wrote:
at amazon germany "handwritten" is at #1 today.

As it is on iTunes Smile

I wish there was even a chance of this happening in the US. We're all too dumb here to listen to good music.

Fairly sure AS hit #1 for a bit here too. iTunes charts tends to skew heavily to new releases. Passion Pit might stay on top this time around, but wouldn't be at all surprises if it hits #2.

Did it really? I mean maybe with iTunes. 45 hit #6 on the rock charts there. But I feel like more people who know who the heck they were if it hit #1 on a more legitimate chart and for more than like a day.

I'm talking about the album. Singles charts are harder to get to the top of.

haha yeah I know. I'm just commenting on how I can see how itunes would be skewed b/c 45 made it so high so fast.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 am

The Gaslight Anthem has the talent to be a mainstream rock act like the Killers or The Black Keys, but the question is do they have that key hit song on this album? Hard to say as I love almost everything TGA does and the mainstreams tastes aren't always the best.

But what is clear to me is that TGA will be able to make a good living playing music for as long as they want. They have an audience that wants to see them, they have legit talent to deliver and slowly grow upon that fanbase.

Handwritten will do the best business they have ever done and they have earned it.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 am

First of all, agree with the above post completely. Secondly, the standard issue is currently #29 on Amazon, the vinyl is #46, and the deluxe is #93. I don't believe there is any other album with 2 editions, let alone 3, anywhere near the top 100, and that bodes well.
Back to top Go down
EveryWordHandwritten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 10
Join date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I want the band to be big and popular because they are great guys who write fantastic songs and they totally deserve to be huge.

However I DONT want them to be big because then we'd have 14 year old girls singing their songs and they wouldn't be "Our" band anymore. And as everyone knows smaller shows are much better than arena shows!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

EveryWordHandwritten wrote:
I want the band to be big and popular because they are great guys who write fantastic songs and they totally deserve to be huge.

However I DONT want them to be big because then we'd have 14 year old girls singing their songs and they wouldn't be "Our" band anymore. And as everyone knows smaller shows are much better than arena shows!

Stop being selfish. Would you rather 14 year old girls singing songs written by Brian Fallon or Justin Bieber? How does a 14 year old girl liking gaslight make it any less special for you.

As far as the 'smaller shows are much better than arena shows' what does that even mean? Like, have you seen Gaslight headline an arena show? Gaslight has never disappointed, so I'm not to worried about what an arena show would be like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   

Back to top Go down
 
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts
» Casey's Handwritten Letters Released 4/06/10
» Best Rammstein Album EVER?
» JK Rowling is generous--but not to the McCanns any more
» Modern Talking - Remix Album @Wav

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: