A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 am

Kosburn59 wrote:
And yeah, I definitely don't mean to make digs at O'Brien for his production skills, since I'm just a twenty year old dude from Georgia who's barely produced anything, let alone a major bands record, but the older I get the more I begin looking at this stuff.....

No worries, my man. We're unfortunately getting to a place in rock 'n' roll history where it's encouraged to make a band's record sound worse so it'll "stand out" from the pack. Of course this is ludicrous and utter nonsense and a great way to actually make it stand out would be to, you know, make it sound good.

That being said, I've had huge issues with B'OB records in the past and I was none too pleased with the announcement of him as producer...BUT...I don't really have an issue with 45. It sounds better as I progress through the formats (stream, mp3, vinyl).
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Kosburn59 wrote:
And yeah, I definitely don't mean to make digs at O'Brien for his production skills, since I'm just a twenty year old dude from Georgia who's barely produced anything, let alone a major bands record, but the older I get the more I begin looking at this stuff.....

No worries, my man. We're unfortunately getting to a place in rock 'n' roll history where it's encouraged to make a band's record sound worse so it'll "stand out" from the pack. Of course this is ludicrous and utter nonsense and a great way to actually make it stand out would be to, you know, make it sound good.

That being said, I've had huge issues with B'OB records in the past and I was none too pleased with the announcement of him as producer...BUT...I don't really have an issue with 45. It sounds better as I progress through the formats (stream, mp3, vinyl).

My main issue with Brendan's producing is fade outs. He loves them, and rock songs shouldn't fade out.

However, he produced some of the best records of the past 20 years and does a lot right. The fact that he produced vs, vitalogy, no code, yield and backspacer is probably reasons 1-5 why he produced handwritten.

Back to top Go down
SirPaco
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm totally digging 45! Has a classic TGA feel, IMO. Cant wait to hear the rest of the record and see them tear it up at Riot Fest.

I actually heard 45 on a promo commercial on the MLB Network...kind of strange.
Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Wed May 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Was anyone else conflicted on 45 on the first listen? I'll admit, listening to the debut I was shaky but on the second listen I warmed to it, now I do like it. HOWEVER it is much simpler than the traditional Gaslight song. Now, I don't see it as bad since it still paints a good picture and the message is clear.

I saw someone said the song sounds like its in a straight jacket and I think your right, 45 sounds like it has the potential to be the really loud powerful rock song. Or "big" (Kosburn59: "But even though it sounds "big" (wtf does that mean btw?)"<---- laughed so hard at that cause they keep saying its "big". But it sounds like it is a little mild.

All in all i do like 45 but I don't think its my favorite TGA song, but we'll see if that changes in 56 days (ugh sorry I had to remind myself and everyone else Sad )
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 am

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
azlisa wrote:
I really don't like the song, but I'm thrilled for the band.

this boggles me! i think it's amazing.

I don't understand that either! I think 45 is an incredible song and classic Gaslight. What don't like you about it, Angry Johnny?

Was in the middle of making a lengthy post about why in the recently created least favourite song thread but my computer randomly shut down so I'll do it here instead. Basically to me it sounds like a watered down pop-punk version of Pearl Jam. One thing that I love about Gaslight so much is the deep lyrics, but in 45 the lyrics are trying to be deep but just come across as cheesy. The song lacks the special originality that every single previous Gaslight song has had, I really don't get that feeling that there's nobody else out there creating this sound. With this song I feel that anyone of those kinds of haircut bands that play on the warped tour could've written and performed this. Also I guess I was hoping/expecting a rawer saound in Brian's vocals given how the iTunes session turned out. It was bound to happen eventually, and it's not an uncommon thing but it's a shame my favourite band has managed to right a song that I actually hate. 45 has absolutely nothing on every other song this badn has ever done. I go on about how fantastic Gaslight our to anyone who will give me the time of day and quite frankly I would just be embarrassed to show anyone this song after making such a fuss about the band.

Not everyone's opinion but it's good to get that off my chest.

You know what's funny? Pearl Jam is my #1 band, with TGA right behind them. I told my wife I could hear PJ singing "45", so I don't think you are off base...but maybe that's why I'm so in love with it. It's that sound that I dig.

The thing I'm noticing more and more about TGA is PJ's influence on them, and more specifically Eddie Vedder's on Brian. They covered State of Love and Trust, Brian's gone off on people in the crowd while talking between songs, they have covered Baba O'Reilly...which PJ does regularly....all the things he talked about with their fan club are ones that Ten Club has been doing for years.

I think Brian respects the rabid fan base of PJ and how they've handled their business, as well as put out great music, and feels that template is worth duplicating. I think he's smart for noticing it and leveraging the PJ experience over the years.

PJ has people fly from all over the world to travel to their concerts. They are always sold out. The bootlegs were genius marketing, and having a different set list every night makes people want to go to every show because you don't know what you're getting night in and night out...always a fresh show! Who wants to only go hear the hits every single time?

Once TGA gets a bigger library...as time goes on...I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same.

With "45", at first I was just like "This is kinda cool..." but the more listens I've given it, the harder I've fallen for it and would say it's a top 5 TGA song for me now.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am

TheContender wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
azlisa wrote:
I really don't like the song, but I'm thrilled for the band.

this boggles me! i think it's amazing.

I don't understand that either! I think 45 is an incredible song and classic Gaslight. What don't like you about it, Angry Johnny?

Was in the middle of making a lengthy post about why in the recently created least favourite song thread but my computer randomly shut down so I'll do it here instead. Basically to me it sounds like a watered down pop-punk version of Pearl Jam. One thing that I love about Gaslight so much is the deep lyrics, but in 45 the lyrics are trying to be deep but just come across as cheesy. The song lacks the special originality that every single previous Gaslight song has had, I really don't get that feeling that there's nobody else out there creating this sound. With this song I feel that anyone of those kinds of haircut bands that play on the warped tour could've written and performed this. Also I guess I was hoping/expecting a rawer saound in Brian's vocals given how the iTunes session turned out. It was bound to happen eventually, and it's not an uncommon thing but it's a shame my favourite band has managed to right a song that I actually hate. 45 has absolutely nothing on every other song this badn has ever done. I go on about how fantastic Gaslight our to anyone who will give me the time of day and quite frankly I would just be embarrassed to show anyone this song after making such a fuss about the band.

Not everyone's opinion but it's good to get that off my chest.

You know what's funny? Pearl Jam is my #1 band, with TGA right behind them. I told my wife I could hear PJ singing "45", so I don't think you are off base...but maybe that's why I'm so in love with it. It's that sound that I dig.

The thing I'm noticing more and more about TGA is PJ's influence on them, and more specifically Eddie Vedder's on Brian. They covered State of Love and Trust, Brian's gone off on people in the crowd while talking between songs, they have covered Baba O'Reilly...which PJ does regularly....all the things he talked about with their fan club are ones that Ten Club has been doing for years.

I think Brian respects the rabid fan base of PJ and how they've handled their business, as well as put out great music, and feels that template is worth duplicating. I think he's smart for noticing it and leveraging the PJ experience over the years.

PJ has people fly from all over the world to travel to their concerts. They are always sold out. The bootlegs were genius marketing, and having a different set list every night makes people want to go to every show because you don't know what you're getting night in and night out...always a fresh show! Who wants to only go hear the hits every single time?

Once TGA gets a bigger library...as time goes on...I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same.

With "45", at first I was just like "This is kinda cool..." but the more listens I've given it, the harder I've fallen for it and would say it's a top 5 TGA song for me now.

Dude, spot on. '45' is TGA's 'the Fixer' (which is poppy Pearl Jam as well). I'm sure Brendan's influence made it sound more like that, and why it's the first single. I actually think 45 is a way better song though.

Brian is definitely being influenced not only by PJ, but by their fans and relationship with them. They started covering State because he loved the song, but I bet it was the single from the iTunes sesion because of PJ fans reaction. If you can tap into PJ fans, you're going to have some hardcore, dedicated fans.

Brian has always had a bit of Ed in him, but his stage presence is getting more and more Ed influence. Crowd interactions, hand motions, etc. It's natural to be influenced and most of it is probably unintentional, but it's definitely something I've noticed more lately.

I do hope that Gaslight is able to open some PJ shows just because I know what it would mean to Brian, plus it would selfishly be awesome for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:55 am

I don't want Gaslight to become a baby version of Pearl Jam, I would also hope they can avoid the PJ crazies.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:00 am

Klown wrote:
I don't want Gaslight to become a baby version of Pearl Jam, I would also hope they can avoid the PJ crazies.

Every band has crazies, especially ones as big as Pearl Jam. I don't think Gaslight wants to be a baby version of Pearl Jam, but they've clearly done plenty to at least make PJ fans aware of them. Covering State, releasing it as a single, mentioning that Pearl Jam is your favorite band in every interview, etc

I look at it this way, Brian is more or less the same age as me and grew up with similar influences. If I was in his position, I would probably wear my PJ fandom on my sleeve as much as him.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 am

You can pander too much to one cause though, they need their own identity and to not fall into been labelled as a baby Pearl Jam.

As for PJ crazies, yeah...that lot are a vicious breed onto themselves. Horrible.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am

Klown wrote:
You can pander too much to one cause though, they need their own identity and to not fall into been labelled as a baby Pearl Jam.

As for PJ crazies, yeah...that lot are a vicious breed onto themselves. Horrible.

i think they went too far when they covered "Last Kiss". You can cover PJ (SOLAT), you can cover PJ's covers (Baba), but please avoid PJ's annoying covers (last kiss) Wink
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Last Kiss is awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Last Kiss is awesome.

I like Brians take on it, so much passion and heart in it. Certainly better than Pearl Jam's cover.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Klown wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Last Kiss is awesome.

I like Brians take on it, so much passion in it.

I agree. I grew up loving the J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers version from 1964 and I like the Pearl Jam cover, but nobody sings Last Kiss like Brian does. The emotion and the pain that comes through in his singing gets me every single time. I love it.
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 pm

TGA actually sings SOLAT better than PJ does now. Ed's lost that passion in the song, and Brian still brings it out. I will say that for sure.

Why would PJ fans be a "horrible" lot? Having a loyal fan base that will travel the globe for you is a "horrible" thing? Most artists would LOVE that.

I read another thread on here that said Brian even mentioned he wanted the "hardcore" fans to get the tix to their shows, not the lukewarm ones. Hmmmm....does it sound like he hates the idea of what PJ fans are? I think not. He wants it. Do you want fans that barely move in the crowd....or do you want people that sing every word to every song and act like there's no other place they'd rather be? Artists feed off of the crowd.

I never did like PJ's cover of "Last Kiss". It wasn't supposed to be a release anyway. They covered it in fun once and word got out...demand started, so they released it. That's TGA's niche type song...oldies. I'm with you on that comment.

I also agree I don't want TGA to become a baby Pearl Jam. I loved the identity in their first couple of albums and hope they don't lose that. It's what made me fall in love with them. Just saying, I can see why Ed had an influence on Brian and I think it's cool.

Weird "the Fixer" was mentioned in comparison as that's what I thought a bit when i listened to "45" today. I like "45" much better, though. The Fixer never got near the rotation for me.

Let's please not turn this into a PJ vs. TGA. Both great bands, in and of themselves. Just mentioning some obvious influences, which I think is cool! I hope they keep it at influence, and don't become mimmick.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 pm

TheContender wrote:

Why would PJ fans be a "horrible" lot? Having a loyal fan base that will travel the globe for you is a "horrible" thing? Most artists would LOVE that.

I'll happily discuss this via PM, I don't want to keep cluttering up this thread with PJ stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Good call Smile
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

CluckyB wrote:
45 'debuted' at 36 on the Billboard Alternative Rock charts this week: http://www.billboard.com/news#/column/chartbeat/chart-highlights-katy-perry-s-wide-awake-1007172752.story High Five

One spot lower than T59S hit, but technically Gaslight isn't a "one hit wonder" anymore Razz Plus I get a feeling its only going to get higher as time goes on. bounce

Just to get this thread back to its original intent, "45" is up to #22 on the Alternative Songs chart on Billboard this week.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 pm

That's awesome. Hopefully they bust through the top 20...
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:58 pm

For the week of July 21, "45" is up to #19 on the Alternative Songs chart (the newest of any song in the top 20, with 7 weeks on the chart) and is #40 on the Rock Songs chart (which it has only been on for 3 weeks).
Back to top Go down
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm

"45" is at #33 on the Dutch charts at the moment... (it's their first song on the Dutch charts ever)
Back to top Go down
VanillaMintFusion
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

BuddyHolly wrote:
"45" is at #33 on the Dutch charts at the moment... (it's their first song on the Dutch charts ever)
Where are you getting #33 from? On the dutch charts it says it's on #95 (down from #91).
http://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=s

EDIT: ah I see it. It's on 3FM's Mega Top 50 at #33. It was song of the week there too a couple weeks ago!
http://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=s3
Back to top Go down
Chesser19
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice to see them hitting the charts here in Canada as well. #26 on the Alt. Rock charts and # 35 on the Active Rock charts.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/The_Chesser19
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 pm

VanillaMintFusion wrote:
BuddyHolly wrote:
Where are you getting #33 from? On the dutch charts it says it's on #95 (down from #91).
http://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=s

EDIT: ah I see it. It's on 3FM's Mega Top 50 at #33. It was song of the week there too a couple weeks ago!
http://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=s3

Totally forgot there are 2 different charts. The one you mentioned is completeley based on recordsales, the one I mentioned before also includes airplay (at least on 3fm, don't know if other stations are included as well).
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:11 pm

I dunno where it is at the moment and when songs aren't in the top 100 it is very hard to find out but way back in the final week of June it finally entered the UK charts at 167.
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 am

What's the best any GA single/track has done on the billboards? For example, has 45 done better than singles from T59S and AS? I would think it would be disappointing if not, considering the "opportunities of reaching a wider audience" that a major is suppossed to provide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   

Back to top Go down

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next