A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bruce Springsteen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:39 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Magic is probably the best CD he has done with the reboot of the E street Band.

Agreed. Every song sounds like a classic. Smile
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

JimmyB wrote:

Yeah its a cracker, I'm a big fan of The Rising tho, amazing album IMO. And i actually liked Working on a Dream.

I dont think theres any music Springsteen could release that I wouldn't like really haha
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 am

yeah, magic might be my favorite album of his ever actually. i'm a big fan of 2000s e street band; it's probably a 3 way tie between magic, born to run, and darkness.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:16 am

Magic is a fucking fantastic album. The Rising is great too.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 am

Your Own Worst Enemy is one of the best. And then from Mary's Place to My City of Ruins on the Rising is just holy crap level stuff.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 am

[quote="IrishNameAndAnInjury"]
JimmyB wrote:

Agreed. Every song sounds like a classic. Smile [/quote

the Riseing was his best album in years
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 am

I thought The Rising was the best since the reunion with the E Street band. Theres only really The Fuse that I would consider a skipper and occasionally Paradise perhaps. Magic was good though but it isn't as long and is perhaps let down by a couple of songs in my opinion - Girls In their summer clothes is a bit cheesy and to be honest I'm not keen when Bruce gets political and wasn't mad on Last To Die. I think Working on a Dream was a little too fluffy at times. Some good songs but Queen of the Supermarket, What Love can do, This Life and Life Itself let the album down I think. I put this down to releasing it so soon off the back of the Magic album and maybe another 6 months or so and he might have had a few better ones to put out.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:38 am

The Rising is definitely an incredible album. The title track, Lonesome Day, and Mary's Place are probably my favorites. There's just something about Magic though that strikes a chord with me, and I really like Girls in Their Summer Clothes, even if it is one of Bruce's more sappy songs. I especially like the lines "A kid's rubber ball smacks/ Off the gutter 'neath the lamp light." A good song about the innocence of youth and lost love. What can I say, I'm kind of a sap! Razz
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Girls in the summer clothes is not a happy song to me at all.

It definitely has the nostalgic feeling to it with those lovely soundscapes and all, but I think the lyrics speak of pretty dark things.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:20 pm

I can see how the song could be interpreted as dark, but it's all in how the listener hears it. I usually just take away that Bruce is reflecting on his past loves and thinking about the days that he has lived. Although disappearing youth can be kind of depressing. Ugh, don't ruin the song for me, Harbortown! Crying or Very sad Wink
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm

I do like how it sounds...a beautiful sadness....looking back with a happyness it happened...but a sadness it happened alraedy...
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:16 pm

Harbortown wrote:

It definitely has the nostalgic feeling to it with those lovely soundscapes and all, but I think the lyrics speak of pretty dark things.

Of all of Bruce's songs, this is one of the last ones that I would consider "dark".
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
I can see how the song could be interpreted as dark, but it's all in how the listener hears it. I usually just take away that Bruce is reflecting on his past loves and thinking about the days that he has lived. Although disappearing youth can be kind of depressing. Ugh, don't ruin the song for me, Harbortown! Crying or Very sad Wink
Yeah that's true. Ultimately I guess it's one of those songs that let the listener apply their own meaning of the song based on their own experience.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:49 am

Harbortown wrote:
I'm kind of getting into Bruce Springsteen.

Not so much the classical stuff that Brian keeps talking about, but actually the latter albums and even some of his 90s efforts. Human Touch, Lucky Town, Magic, The Rising. I love 'em. Then again of course I do love Darkness on the edge of town and Born in the USA, but that's pretty much self explanatory. I can't seem to grasp his early, more soul oriented records though. I don't get all the fuss.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm vaguely fond of his later stuff, but Greetings through Darkness is probably my favorite span of records ever. You gotta give Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle another try.
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 am

[quote="sandyangryjohnnyormary?"]
Harbortown wrote:

I'm the exact opposite. I'm vaguely fond of his later stuff, but Greetings through Darkness is probably my favorite span of records ever. You gotta give Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle another try.

This is a 'grower' of an album if ever there was one, it grows on you and then you suddenly love it, well i did anyway! Found it to be difficult to get into unlike most of his other early stuff, love Grettings, brilliant album.

Not a big fan of The River as an album at all, too much average-enough stuff to trawl through IMO. Anybody ever heard its original set list? (10 songs (Incl. The River, Hungry Heart, Ties That Bind and Jackson Cage) were recorded prior to its release and were gonna be released as an album titled Ties That Binds, sounds so much better in this more compact version.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 am

Harbortown wrote:

I don't think anyone has said it was happy song have they. I said it was cheesy and someone said sappy. I guess Ive never really read into that much though as Ive never been mad keen on the song
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 am

One song Ive never been able to get into is Kittys Back anyone else found the same?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 am

jerseyrain wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

I don't think anyone has said it was happy song have they. I said it was cheesy and someone said sappy. I guess Ive never really read into that much though as Ive never been mad keen on the song

Quote :
and I really like Girls in Their Summer Clothes, even if it is one of Bruce's more sappy songs
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:38 am

Harbortown wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Quote :
and I really like Girls in Their Summer Clothes, even if it is one of Bruce's more sappy songs

I guess I took sappy to mean kind a bit lovey or fluffy not necessarilly happy. Interpretation eh
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:42 am

Oh jeeze, I actually misread her sentence. My mistake.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:40 am

Harbortown wrote:
Oh jeeze, I actually misread her sentence. My mistake.

I meant sappy as in overly nostalgic and a little corny, not happy. It's not, IMO, as deep or dark as some of Bruce's other stuff, it just is what it is. Kind of middle of the road for him, but I still love it though!
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:56 am

jerseyrain wrote:
One song Ive never been able to get into is Kittys Back anyone else found the same?

It'd be weird anywhere else in his catalog, but that album is just all over the place genre-wise. It took me a while to get into, but now it just kind of adds to the freewheeling nature of Wild, the Innocent to me.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 am

jerseyrain wrote:
I thought The Rising was the best since the reunion with the E Street band. Theres only really The Fuse that I would consider a skipper and occasionally Paradise perhaps. Magic was good though but it isn't as long and is perhaps let down by a couple of songs in my opinion - Girls In their summer clothes is a bit cheesy and to be honest I'm not keen when Bruce gets political and wasn't mad on Last To Die. I think Working on a Dream was a little too fluffy at times. Some good songs but Queen of the Supermarket, What Love can do, This Life and Life Itself let the album down I think. I put this down to releasing it so soon off the back of the Magic album and maybe another 6 months or so and he might have had a few better ones to put out.

Queen of the Supermarket is a song that I love when it begins, hate it halfway through, and by the end, I'm glad I listened to it and want to listen to it again...the music on that song is so amazing, but unfortunately, there are a few choice lines that destroyed it for most people. What Love Can Do and Life Itself I thought were awesome! All in all I thought WOAD had brilliant music and arrangements, but was bogged down by too many throwaway lyrics (This Life could have been good). Love the sound from the album though. Surprise, Surprise is a guilty pleasure. An easy pop song but a fun one.

As much as I love The Rising (my first Boss album when I was 14), I think Magic may be my favorite since the Reunion. It went back to a more rock feel than the Rising and previous Boss releases going back to Tunnel of Love.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 am

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:

It'd be weird anywhere else in his catalog, but that album is just all over the place genre-wise. It took me a while to get into, but now it just kind of adds to the freewheeling nature of Wild, the Innocent to me.
The second side of WIESS is the best side of music that has been released imo. Saw him perform the album in full at Madison Square Garden a couple of years back - was great.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

Kittys back is a riot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen   

Back to top Go down

Bruce Springsteen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top