A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 am

Ah just went and bought it but they're already up!

I only skimmed through it yesterday but still, after re-reading I don't think it should be an interviewers place to be saying things ilke that. Maybe in a review yeah, but in an interview. Especially when the interviewer knows so little about the band to say that the 59' Sound was the debut.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks for posting the scans.

A couple good quotes in there. Brian saying "Here Comes My Man" is Lou Reed meets "if you liked it, you should've put a ring on it" (from Single Ladies by Beyonce) made me laugh as did Benny saying "We're not singing about boats and hoes".
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks for posting the scans, Eric!

Despite the snarkiness of the writing, it was clear Brian was being honest.

"Here comes my man" is a cross between Lou Reed and Beyonce? Oh my... this I can't wait to hear.
Back to top Go down
crutchfield
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 am

I was sure that theyd release the 45 video in conjunction with the pre order bundles. Looks like i was wrong.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 am

I wrote NME a letter correcting them and telling them how awesome Gaslight are. Everytime I write on it usually gets in the magazine so maybe it'd be cool if we all wrote one? Only takes a second and if they see more people writing about them they might support them even more.

the address is letters@nme.com, if you write keep it to 3 or 4 sentences and put your name and where you're writing from.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am

I don't really think it's unfair - I think it's something we have all thought and wondered about to some extent. We're just more confident that it will still be good.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am

I'm really hoping they don't just drop the website, fan-club and pre-orders on us with no notice. Give everyone a fair chance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:09 am

I could do with it all being in a month or so. Just spent all my money on Koko.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:29 am

Quote :
I'd rather be poor playing songs I love than get filthy rich playing songs that I hate.

Brian's statement right there is one of the many reasons I love Gaslight so much. These guys have so much integrity and respect for the music and it's nice to see that come across in an article.

Thank you so much for uploading this! Smile
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:48 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Quote :
I'd rather be poor playing songs I love than get filthy rich playing songs that I hate.

Brian's statement right there is one of the many reasons I love Gaslight so much. These guys have so much integrity and respect for the music and it's nice to see that come across in an article.

Thank you so much for uploading this! Smile

Absolutely agree here.
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Again with the word "comeback". Seriously, what is this?

I'm very interested to hear "Here Comes My Man," since it's written from a woman's point of view. The only other song like that I can think of is "Every Man I Fall For" by Cold War Kids.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't think the issue is the criticism as much as the attitude with the criticism. And taking one line out of a song out of context doesn't necessarily speak for his writing on the record. (Plus I didn't think that line was bad personally.)

I kinda got a bad taste in my mouth from the get go reading this when the writer felt it necessary to quote Brian saying his coffee was bad. Anyone's allowed to not like their coffee but quoting it at the start of the article makes him sound like a jerk even though we know he's not.

Some good quotes from Brian though.

I thought it's interesting though about taking out literary references and sort of dumbing it down. While I can't blame him (for popularity reasons), I just wish he didn't feel the need to do that.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure the NME is written by failed "rock stars" who tend to be unanimously supportive of a band one minute, then a damning critic the next. Probably the worst magazine of all time.

Cheers for the scans though! Enjoyed hearing what the guys have to say about Handwritten, and particularly Brian saying he "can't wait to dive off the stage and sing 45 with everyone"!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm

jesus heaven forbid someone should suggest something negative about the band. i'm tired of interviewers licking the interviewees' ass. this guy asked brian an honest question. fair play to him.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Did they get a lot of press in NME last time round? I used to read it obsessively and never remember reading about them.

I think articles like this will be a consequence of the major label. Hopefully the likes of Clash, Uncut and Q will cover them a lot more too.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Labhras wrote:
jesus heaven forbid someone should suggest something negative about the band. i'm tired of interviewers licking the interviewees' ass. this guy asked brian an honest question. fair play to him.

So the NME aren't a woefully shite excuse for a rock magazine?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:39 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
Labhras wrote:

So the NME aren't a woefully shite excuse for a rock magazine?
i don't read NME so i don't know. i can ony comment on the article i read.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Fair enough, but take it from me - don't waste your money haha
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

If "trimming the fat" means that the lyrics on all of the songs are like "45", then he may well have trimmed out what made a lot of people love the band and part of what separates their music from more generic pop punk acts. I certainly can't be too critical about a record I haven't even heard yet, but that is a somewhat troubling quote.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Well I think the lyrics to Biloxi Parish are pretty damn wonderful.
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:34 pm

They are wonderful!!! But also kinda simple I think.
But why worry about the other songs now, we'll see (or hear) in a few weeks
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm

DaleCooper wrote:
If "trimming the fat" means that the lyrics on all of the songs are like "45", then he may well have trimmed out what made a lot of people love the band and part of what separates their music from more generic pop punk acts. I certainly can't be too critical about a record I haven't even heard yet, but that is a somewhat troubling quote.

I'm not too worried about that yet. Springsteen "trimmed the fat" on his music a lot over his 40 year career and I think he just put out one of his best albums ever.

Just look at Greetings from AP or WIESS > Born to Run > Darkness. That's kinda like SOS or 59 > American Slang > (potentially) Handwritten.

Trimming the fat isn't always a bad thing. Smile

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:50 pm

The few people who have heard the album such as Jason Tate from absolutepunk and a few other blog writers on twitter have said that the album blew them away. Don't get worried!
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:39 pm

http://www.universal-music.de/the-gaslight-anthem/videos/detail/video:275962/making-of-handwritten

Getting a slight Counting Crows vibe from Handwritten and Here Comes My Man, and Too Much Blood is the most hard rocking song these guys have ever written. It sounds a lot like Mary Ann, and definitely would not have made it onto any previous records.
Back to top Go down
DaleCooper
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Can't get it to play. The site is in German and it tries to get me to login to something every time I try to play the video.
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanhawkins.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   

Back to top Go down

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next