A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Ian Perkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun May 27, 2012 3:24 pm


just for the record, when i asked what the purpose was of having Ian playing with them live, i was genuinely curious if there was a reason, something maybe the musicians here would know better than me, i didn't mean it in a "WTF" kind of way.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 601
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 24
Location : Downstate, NY

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun May 27, 2012 3:32 pm

They didn't write all of the old stuff with 3 guitarists, they're not going to really mess with something that isn't broken. I'm sure the new stuff live will be more appropriate with 3 guitars. Plus, Ian is a rad guy.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon May 28, 2012 12:50 am

steph wrote:

just for the record, when i asked what the purpose was of having Ian playing with them live, i was genuinely curious if there was a reason, something maybe the musicians here would know better than me, i didn't mean it in a "WTF" kind of way.

Fair question. And I'd say the answer to that would be "no, not yet". It's possible the new songs require three guitars, but as of now there's not any reason, musically speaking.

Wasting Light by Foo Fighters is a good example of three guitars put to use really well.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 4685
Join date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon May 28, 2012 3:06 am

I'd totally hang out with Ian and ask him to join my band.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:43 pm

ral wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
I'm sure he's a nice guy and everything...

But really, he doesn't need to be there. Every time I've seen him play with Gaslight he botches his (quite simple, if we're being honest) parts. And for a guitar tech, he sure seems to be perpetually out-of-tune.

agree with all this. Ian is a super nice guy but he's not really adding a lot musically. I understand that Brian is looking for a bigger live sound (or whatever his wording was) but the screw ups don't seem worth it. It wasn't bad when Ian played Brian's part in Old White Lincoln or Cowgirls but just doubling the rhythm parts isn't helping the songs. Especially on some of the slower numbers where the extra guitar really just muddies things up.

Quote :

Three guitar players really are unnecessary. Any time there's three guitar players in a band it's generally because they're friends and they don't want to kick someone out. See: E Street Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foo Fighters, and now Gaslight.

Pearl Jam makes three guitars work but it's definitely overkill for most bands.

I missed this thread, and it's probably where my comments should have been from the other "practice" thread

As a guitar player, having Ian in the band is occasionally painful. He really is an incredibly mediocre guitar player, and adds nothing positive to their sound.

I know he's their friend, and I know he's a nice guy, but if Brian wants to have a big "Pearl Jam covering Tom Petty" live sound, it's not going to be achieved by having Ian struggle through playing rhythm at their live shows. If that's what he wants, they're going to have to get a different guitar player.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Honestly, Dan, I can see why you'd have some concern. It's usually kinda weird when a band gets a new member, but I've seen 'em with Ian and honestly I never thought twice about it. In fact the sound was pretty damn good, and I didn't feel like he was interfering with anyone.

Maybe someday down the road he'll try to be more involved with the audience but I didn't feel like he had to.

If you noticed Ian fucking up while at a show, it would have to be very bad. I'm pretty sure his amp is turned down way low.

It is, however, very clear on live recordings especially the ones from the Brooklyn webcast.

I echo Dan's comments from earlier, adding a guitar player should be for a reason other than "cause". If they want a fuller, more complex sound, it's going to have to come from someone a lot better than Ian.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 28
Location : Washington, D.C.

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Sample size is nowhere near great enough to make an educated opinion.

He was great with the Crowes... I think people are simply used to seeing Gaslight as a 4 piece, and are finding fault for no reason..

Who hasn't fucked up a note here or there playing live?

This is honestly rather ridiculous and based on simple opinions without much substantial evidence to support it.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 22
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm

rkirkpatrick25 - Spot on. The guy's played three shows and you see people like bakerfall come out of nowhere to knock Ian.

It just seems a little fishy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Sample size is nowhere near great enough to make an educated opinion.

He was great with the Crowes... I think people are simply used to seeing Gaslight as a 4 piece, and are finding fault for no reason..

Who hasn't fucked up a note here or there playing live?

This is honestly rather ridiculous and based on simple opinions without much substantial evidence to support it.

Time will tell, and he SHOULD be able to competently play rhythm parts for Gaslight.

What has bothered me more than the fuck ups, is that he's been out of tune on a bunch of songs. This is a guitar tech, whose out of tune.

Fuck ups happen, being behind the song and out of tune speak to a larger problem then I missed a note or I played the chord.

You're right about sample size, time will tell in that regard.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 - Spot on. The guy's played three shows and you see people like bakerfall come out of nowhere to knock Ian.

It just seems a little fishy.

I'm not coming out of nowhere, and what exactly is "fishy"?? I admittedly don't post a ton here, but, this is a topic I wanted to discuss, and there aren't a ton of outlets for Gaslight discussions.

I really don't know why you guys are taking this so personally. Do you think Ian is a great guitar player? Do you think he's adding a lot to Gaslight's music? That's really been my only point.

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 - Spot on. The guy's played three shows and you see people like bakerfall come out of nowhere to knock Ian.

It just seems a little fishy.

One more thing, I joined in Feb of '10 and you joined in May of '12. Who came out of nowhere?
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 22
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 pm

You joined in 2010 and I have twice as many posts as you. It's a little sketchy how you just popped up to trash Ian like that.

Not looking to wage war, just saying: I've seen Ian 2/3 times he's played with Gaslight. I've heard, and I can even say I'm not ready to form an opinion. How you, claiming to be a guitarist, are judging him already is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 28
Location : Washington, D.C.

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm not taking your criticism personally, I am simply of the opinion that it's not fair to criticize Ian's playing given the limited # of times anyone has seen him perform.

I honestly haven't even noticed that he was the reason that they didn't sound tip-top at the Brooklyn show... TBH I thought the music was great other than a few missed notes, however Brian sounded a bit rough... much more so than the playing of the band

Have yet to hear some great difference between playing with and without Ian.

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6684
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Sample size is nowhere near great enough to make an educated opinion.

He was great with the Crowes... I think people are simply used to seeing Gaslight as a 4 piece, and are finding fault for no reason..
100% agreed. I saw THC in Los Angeles and he handled the guitar with great competence.

Ian's been playing guitar for a very long time but that's not always enough to perform well on stage, or even in a rehearsing room. Playing in a band isn't all about being a good guitar player, it's about being a good team player. A lot of bands sound bad on their first few shows after a long break. Ian is a new fish in a seven year old pond, it takes time to adapt.

Have some patience.
Back to top Go down
Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Don't want to fan any fires, but join dates and post counts do not equal to musical experience.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
You joined in 2010 and I have twice as many posts as you. It's a little sketchy how you just popped up to trash Ian like that.

Not looking to wage war, just saying: I've seen Ian 2/3 times he's played with Gaslight. I've heard, and I can even say I'm not ready to form an opinion. How you, claiming to be a guitarist, are judging him already is beyond me.

I really don't think you having 24 posts and seeing them 2 times with Ian negates my opinion.

Here's my soundcloud page if you don't believe I play guitar: http://soundcloud.com/bakerfall

I've listened to the Brooklyn show enough to have formed my current opinion. One that can admittedly be changed, but it exists none the less.

I just don't understand why people are so offended or bothered by people, not just me, questioning the need to have Ian playing on every song. I just don't see it.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 22
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:18 pm

bakerfall - Listen, no one's offended, what everyone's trying to tell you is give it some time.

All we're saying is we're holding off on forming an opinion until maybe later in the tour or when the album's released.

Quote :
I really don't think you having 24 posts and seeing them 2 times with Ian negates my opinion.

It wasn't intended to, in fact you're right in saying I, nor you, have enough exposure to Ian with TGA to make a solid opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:19 pm

bakerfall wrote:
-Here's my soundcloud page if you don't believe I play guitar: http://soundcloud.com/bakerfall-

Unrelated to the current argument, but your voice is pretty ace, man! Guitar's great too!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6684
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Yo, guitar guy, read this:

Quote :
Ian's been playing guitar for a very long time but that's not always enough to perform well on stage, or even in a rehearsing room. Playing in a band isn't all about being a good guitar player, it's about being a good team player. A lot of bands sound bad on their first few shows after a long break. Ian is a new fish in a seven year old pond, it takes time to adapt.

GROUP DYNAMICS, BRO
Back to top Go down
Online
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 22
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Agreed with Matt - I'm listening to Navesink Banks, sick cover!
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
Agreed with Matt - I'm listening to Navesink Banks, sick cover!

Thanks, both of you.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Yo, guitar guy, read this:

Quote :
Ian's been playing guitar for a very long time but that's not always enough to perform well on stage, or even in a rehearsing room. Playing in a band isn't all about being a good guitar player, it's about being a good team player. A lot of bands sound bad on their first few shows after a long break. Ian is a new fish in a seven year old pond, it takes time to adapt.

GROUP DYNAMICS, BRO

That's fine, seriously and it may be the case. I hope it is. We'll see, I'll let you know if my opinion changes Smile

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

While it would be prudent to give Gaslight & Ian some time to coalesce as a unit, I don't understand why some people are getting so vehemently defensive over the issue. Look, there's a bunch of people who have noticed his mistakes in the limited amount of times it's possible to have seen him live. For me it was 2: one guest spot at Great Plaza in Philly where he played Old Haunts and was making audible mistakes. The other at the 45 video shoot when he was playing unnecessarily during the most hushed parts of Here's Looking At You, Kid while furiously out of tune.

My point being: Ian has not wronged us in the past. We are not out to get him. We are not being unfair and cruel to him. He very well may improve and soon fit like a glove, but so far he hasn't shown a lot of reason for him to be in the band while showing a great deal why he shouldn't. Now stop getting so worked up about it and jumping to Ian's defense any time a fair criticism is lobbed his way.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
While it would be prudent to give Gaslight & Ian some time to coalesce as a unit, I don't understand why some people are getting so vehemently defensive over the issue. Look, there's a bunch of people who have noticed his mistakes in the limited amount of times it's possible to have seen him live. For me it was 2: one guest spot at Great Plaza in Philly where he played Old Haunts and was making audible mistakes. The other at the 45 video shoot when he was playing unnecessarily during the most hushed parts of Here's Looking At You, Kid while furiously out of tune.

My point being: Ian has not wronged us in the past. We are not out to get him. We are not being unfair and cruel to him. He very well may improve and soon fit like a glove, but so far he hasn't shown a lot of reason for him to be in the band while showing a great deal why he shouldn't. Now stop getting so worked up about it and jumping to Ian's defense any time a fair criticism is lobbed his way.

Like x100% Exactly. That's all I'm saying, and the here's looking at you kid from the photo shoot was my #1 example too.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 4685
Join date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Tue May 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Quote :
This is honestly rather ridiculous and based on simple opinions without much substantial evidence to support it.
Exactly.

I'm defending Ian because as of right now, there's no evidence to support anyone's argument at all. Really what this all sounds like are people trying to sound like they know something about playing guitar through criticizing Ian.

I'd also like to know what compels anyone to count missed notes during a show. Is there a prize for guessing the correct amount? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   

Back to top Go down
 
Ian Perkins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Carl Perkins
» Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: