A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Ian Perkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:05 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Dan, correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like you get WAY too much joy out of tearing this guy down. Just let it be man.

I honestly don't have anything personal against Ian - I just don't think he's the right man for Gaslight. He's not needed. The fact that he didn't appear on the Jimmy Fallon Show proves it. If Brian, Benny, Alex R or Alex L weren't taking part you would have no show. I just think they look better on stage as a 4 piece too. Alex L had his awesome stage presence back - now he has that side of the stage to himself again he owned it!! I find it too distracting with Ian standing right behind him - it takes something away from the whole band 's look and chemistry.

Something very obviously went down on Friday night - would be interesting to know what's happened. I think it's perfectly legitimate to talk about any new development.

You guys are actually having a great, open discussion about Ian's absence in the 'Jimmy Fallon Friday Night' thread - rather than "let it be" I think it makes perfect sense to bring it into the actual Ian Perkins thread.

(P.S. before another uninspired poster tells me to "get over it" or "accept it" - we're allowed to question all sorts of decisions that the band makes; tracklisting, producer choices, record label choices etc etc, all things that are none of our business and decisions that Gaslight should be trusted to make on their own - Perkins should be no different).
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 606
Join date : 2010-08-05
Age : 31
Location : scottsdale, arizona

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 am

I always thought Ian was just part of the touring band. If anyone remembers The Format (Nate from fun.'s old band) the band was just Nate and Sam, but they had a big touring band. but The Format was always just the two of them, even if sometimes the others were involved in promo shoots. I dunno! I like him, but it would be nice as to some clarification from the band what his actual position is in the band. At least wiki doesn't show him in the members section (yet?!) Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_anthem
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:21 am

Yeah, he's a 'touring guitarist' but he has played every other show so far, even the Letterman appearance. His gear was set up for the Fallon show - that's what's confusing, something has gone down and Ian hasn't performed with the band for the first time since joining as a live/studio guitarist. Somebody mentioned in the Jimmy Fallon thread that Perkins responded to a question on Twitter by saying he thought the show was the next night! Obviously that's rubbish when he was actually there in the studio!
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 606
Join date : 2010-08-05
Age : 31
Location : scottsdale, arizona

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:26 am

oh yeah i saw that. I think he was definitely joking. Would be interesting to know why he didn't play on Fallon!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 am

dan gaslight wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Dan, correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like you get WAY too much joy out of tearing this guy down. Just let it be man.
(P.S. before another uninspired poster tells me to "get over it" or "accept it" - we're allowed to question all sorts of decisions that the band makes; tracklisting, producer choices, record label choices etc etc, all things that are none of our business and decisions that Gaslight should be trusted to make on their own - Perkins should be no different).
Uninspired? That's bold.

Especially seeing as the only people on the first few pages of this thread talking about "nice" were you and Bakerfall. You're so obsessed with the notion that people want him in the band because he's "nice" which is not the god damn case at all, that's something YOU fabricated. You kept repeating that whole thing to the point of retardation and the only ones who didn't really see that the argument is going around in circles is you and your fellow thread mate.
This topic has been weathered, dried, attached to a rope and dragged across a gravel road, and all that's been said has been said. I don't think ANYONE here has protested your right to question any decision the band makes, so stop being paranoid, but there's no reason to keep an argument going for months just because you feel entitled to argue.

But okay, if you want to hear what's been said a thousand times, fine.
What people said is they don't mind him having a bigger part in the band because he seems like an alright dude, and that's always been part of what this band is about.

They're hardly flawless musicians, any of them. Alex R writes good parts but he can't really improvise at all. Alex L is like any other bass player and hardly brings anything unique. If anything, along with Alex R he brings subpar backing vocals. Brian has messed up his vocals more times than I can count and I'm not gonna say anything about Benny 'cause HE'S MY MAIN DUDE. Why aren't they under stricter scrutiny? Why aren't they questioned for what you constantly criticize Ian for? Ian pretty much wrote half of Elsie, which isn't a contribution to TGA but still tells you that he's not an incompetent musician.
None of these things really matter that much though because it's not a freakin' jazz quartet, it's a band with its roots in the DIY punk scene. I don't go to a Gaslight show to enjoy the guitar solos because it's not a Guns n Roses concert, I go there to have fun.

If you honestly care that much about one or two fuck-ups from a few concerts, don't listen to them. Listen to the records instead.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 am

Hey man - I think you're confused! I've not fabricated anything. Those on Perkin's side are guilty of repeating themselves on this thread too.

I'm not claiming that any of them are flawless musicians - I've heard them all mess up before in shows I've attended. I'm not even claiming they're all the best muscians I've ever heard. I'm not interested in hearing 'perfection'. They are what they are and when you mix them all together you get an incredible band. Warts and all.

I absolutely love The Horrible Crowes and Elsie and would actually have loved to see them tour properly. I really think Perkins was great in that project.

My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise. It does the opposite for me - messes with the chemistry of what makes them great. If anyone thinks otherwise, that's cool with me.

The main reason this thread goes in circles is because nobody has put forward a strong case for his involvement beyond his nice personality. Now it seems that because Gaslight aren't the most spectacluar musicians and the fact that they have a strong DIY ethic means it must be okay for this guy to be up there with no questions asked!

When Perkins didn't perform with them on Friday night I thought it was worth mentioning that there was a new development and that should have warranted a discussion. I'm not meaning to argue for the sake of arguing - I agree no internet forum needs that kind of thing.

We should be able to agree to disagree though.

Thanks for you input anyway, Harbourtown - I hope this makes it clear where we all stand. Cool
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Dan I agree that with new developments like the Fallon thing come up, it's fair to discuss them. I just think your last couple posts got too "gleeful" about Ian not being there and I suppose that rubbed me the wrong way. BOTH sides are repeating a lot which is why I said let it be. New stuff is fine but it is all going in circles.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 23
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:21 pm

dan gaslight wrote:
My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise.
Great, you've made your point about 10 times on this thread and you haven't proved anything or changed anyone else's mind. No sense in beating a dead horse.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 4685
Join date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:25 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise.
Great, you've made your point about 10 times on this thread and you haven't proved anything or changed anyone else's mind. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise.
Great, you've made your point about 10 times on this thread and you haven't proved anything or changed anyone else's mind. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Sorry, pal but you're also wrong - I'm not actually looking to prove anything or change anyone's mind.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 23
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 pm

dan gaslight wrote:
chaingangchorus wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise.
Great, you've made your point about 10 times on this thread and you haven't proved anything or changed anyone else's mind. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Sorry, pal but you're also wrong - I'm not actually looking to prove anything or change anyone's mind.

So if you're not contributing to any lively discussion or debate, you're opinion means nothing and you're just pissing people off. I think that's what the internet savvy call a troll.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2012-05-19
Age : 27
Location : Swansea, Wales

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 pm

In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2012-05-21
Age : 28
Location : Overland Park, Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?

We might never know. I was so confused by that exchange at the end.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2012-05-19
Age : 27
Location : Swansea, Wales

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:42 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?

We might never know. I was so confused by that exchange at the end.

I haven't seen it yet, was Brian visibly angered/upset?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 23
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Ian tweeted that he forgot which is unlikely because Shelby said he was on the side. I don't think Brian being upset is related.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:10 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
chaingangchorus wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
My point is simply I don't believe Perkins adds anything to The Gaslight Anthem - soundwise or image wise.
Great, you've made your point about 10 times on this thread and you haven't proved anything or changed anyone else's mind. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Sorry, pal but you're also wrong - I'm not actually looking to prove anything or change anyone's mind.

So if you're not contributing to any lively discussion or debate, you're opinion means nothing and you're just pissing people off. I think that's what the internet savvy call a troll.

Haha wtf!

My opinion means nothing? Thanks for that! I'm pissing people off? Well that's not my intention and there's no reason for anyone to be upset by my views! You call me a troll? Why? I'm happy for people to have their own opinions. I don't need feel the need for anyone to agree with me - this hardly makes me a troll!

Grow up, son. Lets keep this thread on track please and no more personal attacks. (haha I sound like a mod!)
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?
The whatnow?

What happened?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3228
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Harbortown wrote:
White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?
The whatnow?

What happened?

check http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/t4527-jimmy-fallon-this-friday and keep the discussion in that thread

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 23
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm not going to dignify Dan's post with a response but back to Ian, did anyone think 45 sounded off without him on Late Night?
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 614
Join date : 2008-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Philadelphia

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
I'm not going to dignify Dan's post with a response but back to Ian, did anyone think 45 sounded off without him on Late Night?
Hard to tell, NBC late night shows notoriously have bad sound on their programs

With the exception of Saturday Night Live, they got it right there, bands always sound awesome on SNL
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say off but maybe it had a little less...not power, maybe...quantity of sound? It's hard to know though how much the mix contributed to that. As for why he didn't play, I'm gonna guess it was some small stupid thing and that it's just our imaginations turning into a big thing.

I'm confused about what to discuss here vs. the Fallon thread b/c if we're discussing Ian on Fallon it seems like a perfect 50/50 crossover. So sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm just responding here to what I read here.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2012-05-19
Age : 27
Location : Swansea, Wales

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:18 am

steady now steady now wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
In an attempt to drag this thread onto a valid topic, are there any new developments on the Jimmy Fallongate incident?
The whatnow?

What happened?

check http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/t4527-jimmy-fallon-this-friday and keep the discussion in that thread

Seeing as Ian's mystery exclusion is a big part of it I thought it was also relevant here, my bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:39 am

Hey guys,

Listen - although I feel strongly about this subject it's honestly not my intention to rile anybody up and get involved in slanging matches. Before it all gets more out of hand I'd like to apologise for my part in it and for some of the things I've said in the heat of the moment.

Chaingangchorus, Stitchesontheradio, Harbourtown and others - I'm sorry if I've come across as a jerk, please accept my apologies. We're all here because we're Gaslight fans and I'd like to think if any of us ever met at show we'd probably get on like a house on fire! I extend my hand to you guys in the true spirit of dimestoresaints.com.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 am

That's very nice of you Dan. I accept your apology and I hope I didn't come off too much as a jerk. I just get defensive with people I care about and and Ian's in that category for me. I know overall it just comes down to a difference of opinion and things just get blown up and heated sometimes. No worries dude!

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks, Shelby! No, you certainly didn't come across as a jerk. All is cool - I've actually never met a Gaslight fan who wasn't cool! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   

Back to top Go down
 
Ian Perkins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Carl Perkins
» Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: