A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ian Perkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Steve70s wrote:
All good things come to an end - even bands - and the only thing that is certain in life is uncertainty.

That said, sometimes you can only learn you're on to a good thing when it stops.

The thing I have noticed recently is Brian Fallon's wish to "play Giants Stadium" is coupled with an almost sentimental approach to the fans with this small venue tour.

I don't think you can have it both ways - either sign to a major label or don't?

As for his anti-Internet stance, that's just weird!

These comments are some of the reasons why I said Brian wants TGA to be bigger than they are. He's talking about playing stadiums and this small club tour as nostalgia, meanwhile many of these small clubs are not sold out. You know what that says to me is that these are the appropriate venues for Gaslight right now. This isn't Pearl Jam at the Vic or some huge band playing a teeny place. Outside of NY/NJ, gaslight just is not a huge band.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 1:42 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Klown wrote:
Speculating?

He's sounding like an authority on it all.

Makes me wish for an 'ignore' button on here.

How is me talking about the future after saying "my guess" anything but speculation? You clearly have an issue with what I've said, so ignore is probably the best route.

Gaslight has changed a lot since sink or swim, and horrible crowes was a huge departure from gaslight. Brian obviously has a lot of musical ideas that he wants to explore and in my opinion will not be in the confines of gaslight as we know it. The fact that i said this in a thread about them adding a touring guitarist should be evidence enough that changes are on going.

What exactly did I say that bothered you so? That there is a possibility TGA will not be around forever?

It's not one thing to do with them breaking, if that's the course the band have to take, fine. Not my decision. I've absolutely no problem with both sides of a discussion viewing their opinions, both sides can get irritating and maybe go too far, that's ok, that happens.

It's that you have come across as nothing but a condescending know it all, in the large majority of your posts over the last 24 hours, others have noticed it, others have mentioned it, but yet you still get on like you are above all that, and talk down on the matter. In fact, being negative doesn't even come close to you.

As I said, an ignore button on here would be perfect.

Mods can ban me for that outburst, but when quite a few others are thinking the same way, then it makes me feel that bit better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Ugh. Good luck with this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Klown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Klown wrote:
Speculating?

He's sounding like an authority on it all.

Makes me wish for an 'ignore' button on here.

How is me talking about the future after saying "my guess" anything but speculation? You clearly have an issue with what I've said, so ignore is probably the best route.

Gaslight has changed a lot since sink or swim, and horrible crowes was a huge departure from gaslight. Brian obviously has a lot of musical ideas that he wants to explore and in my opinion will not be in the confines of gaslight as we know it. The fact that i said this in a thread about them adding a touring guitarist should be evidence enough that changes are on going.

What exactly did I say that bothered you so? That there is a possibility TGA will not be around forever?

It's not one thing to do with them breaking, if that's the course the band have to take, fine. Not my decision. I've absolutely no problem with both sides of a discussion viewing their opinions, both sides can get irritating and maybe go too far, that's ok, that happens.

It's that you have come across as nothing but a condescending know it all, in the large majority of your posts over the last 24 hours, others have noticed it, others have mentioned it, but yet you still get on like you are above all that, and talk down on the matter. In fact, being negative doesn't even come close to you.

As I said, an ignore button on here would be perfect.

Mods can ban me for that outburst, but when quite a few others are thinking the same way, then it makes me feel that bit better.

Honestly, you can do without the personal attacks. If you want to ignore someone, do it and don't reply to them. You don't need to mention it repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 pm

ral wrote:

Honestly, you can do without the personal attacks. If you want to ignore someone, do it and don't reply to them. You don't need to mention it repeatedly.

Personal attacks like the person people on here have a problem with, 'joking' about threatening to report people to authorities...?

I'm done with this thread. I've no problem with yourself ral, so I'm not letting my problem with this guys posting methods get in the way of that.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Klown wrote:
ral wrote:

Personal attacks like the person people on here have a problem with, 'joking' about threatening to report people to authorities...?

I'm done with this thread. I've no problem with yourself ral, so I'm not letting my problem with this guys posting methods get in the way of that.

I don't believe I personally attacked anyone, nor was it my intention to. Most of my posts have been discussing the band, the music and the need to have Ian on every song. Lots of people have been able to communicate about it and I don't believe there were any personal attacks. As for the other thread, I still think it's a poor idea to bring a 2 week old to a concert. If you disagree with that, then you're welcome to suggest that I'm wrong.

You obviously have a serious problem with me and my posts, and that's fine, so I'll reciprocate with the "ignore"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Klown wrote:
Well, at least we now know what the bands future holds, have you let them know?

Why is everyone comment taken so negatively? I said "my guess" and that guess is based on the trajectory both Gaslight and Brian have taken.

To be fair, I see your point. I think everyone got more upset at the idea than you personally. I get your prediction but I would think (and hope) that Brian has more sense than that. He knows how it's foolish to completely change who your band is. (I'm talking 100% not just growing as a band). I bet we'll continue to see a minor influx of new sounds but I don't know about him building a big band. I bet he'll leave that kind of experimenting to horrible crowes. Who knows though. no matter what he does, I'll probably follow. I've liked everything so far.

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Klown wrote:

Why is everyone comment taken so negatively? I said "my guess" and that guess is based on the trajectory both Gaslight and Brian have taken.

To be fair, I see your point. I think everyone got more upset at the idea than you personally. I get your prediction but I would think (and hope) that Brian has more sense than that. He knows how it's foolish to completely change who your band is. (I'm talking 100% not just growing as a band). I bet we'll continue to see a minor influx of new sounds but I don't know about him building a big band. I bet he'll leave that kind of experimenting to horrible crowes. Who knows though. no matter what he does, I'll probably follow. I've liked everything so far.

Right. Brian has said several times, more recently, that he's trying to get this big sound, adding instruments, 12 strings etc. Gaslight has grown a lot, past being a punk band. I just think as Brian gets older and matures as a song writer, the band will continue to change as well. Or, he'll expand with a different band and Gaslight will continue as is. Who knows. My point was just that nothing with this band has been status quo from one album to the next, so I expect the change to continue in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

dan gaslight wrote:
Very much agreed, bakerfall. Thank you!

Well there's 11 songs on the new album (not including the bonus tracks) - we've heard 45 and Biloxi Parish and they don't need 3 guitars so lets hope that the remaining 9 do!! Can't see it myself.

Oh and by the way, our opinions are based on something - the fact that footage of how it sounds and looks is already out there and the fact that we know 90% of Gaslights catalogue doesn't need 3 guitars - regardless of how well it's played.

Why should we stop talking about a big Gaslight issue on a Gaslight forum until October - that doesn't make sense?! This subject is valid to talk about and analyse now! Why do we have to wait 5 months? Whats gonna change in the meantime? My opinion is based on the fact that I don't think Gaslight need 3 guitars, I pretty much guarantee that the remaining 9 unheard songs wont need 3 guitars and Ian could play as good as Clapton and I'll still declare that Gaslight don't need 3 guitars/5 people on stage at the same time - I don't like Gaslight having an extra man on stage - it looks, feels and sounds wrong. I am allowed to think that you know. I still love Gaslight. You guys might not give a damn about the extra man onstage messing things up, that's fine too! But I don't get why the rest of us have to be censored!

Oh well, see you in October when we've heard the 9 other new songs and Ian's had time to write extra guitar parts for the previous 3 albums and EP!! Razz

My point was there's not enough out there yet to make an informed decision. Ian is definitely NOT the only one screwing up this early in the game. I said October because that gives people time to think about it and hear more. Not to mention it would give the boys time to get their shit together. Which they will. Those were rehearsal shows. Even if they had all good reasons to put Ian in the band, if he's still not meshing by the time they head out with Rise Against, I'm sure they'll all revisit his role. He's not an idiot, he'd excuse himself from the line up if he felt he just couldn't keep up.

It's valid now but only if we take the perspective that we're talking about the rehearsal shows only. You are allow to not like it so far. All that we ask is that you acknowledge the "so far" part of that statement.

And we don't "not give a damn" we just aren't so bothered by him. I personally have seen them twice with him.

Bamboozle - I can't judge because the mixing was terrible, but seeing him on stage didn't cause me to have a melt down.

The 45 Shoot - The whole band sounded better than I'd ever heard them play live. The sound was richer (maybe it was the 3rd guitar, maybe it was the acoustics of the venue, IDK), and I don't recall any wrong notes but then again I wasn't standing there with a note pad tallying them up.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 pm

I really don't want to dig through every video, but I will point out the one that bothered me the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEs5NwXQo1M

Ian is out of tune the whole song, but listen to how horrible this sounds from 2:08-2:25 and 3:15-3:35. It's not Alex, he's playing lead. It's not Brian, he's flat out not playing for big portions of this.

And to prove your point about them all being rusty, 45 from Roxy was the worst thing I've ever heard them play from the solo through the end. They started out in one key, half of them came out of the solo playing it in the regular key. I don't know who is fucking up the most here, but it's bad Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOjxTb8vcQ

They will definitely get better as they play more this year, no doubt.

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Maybe we can pick this up again when the band have played the next copuple of shows.

Ian? Great bloke. Work on Elise? Outstanding. Role in Gaslight? Unclear. Now let's wait and see how it all develops.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 pm

bakerfall wrote:
I really don't want to dig through every video, but I will point out the one that bothered me the most.

Ian is out of tune the whole song, but listen to how horrible this sounds from 2:08-2:25 and 3:15-3:35. It's not Alex, he's playing lead. It's not Brian, he's flat out not playing for big portions of this.

And to prove your point about them all being rusty, 45 from Roxy was the worst thing I've ever heard them play from the solo through the end. They started out in one key, half of them came out of the solo playing it in the regular key. I don't know who is fucking up the most here, but it's bad Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOjxTb8vcQ

They will definitely get better as they play more this year, no doubt.

I'll give you that first one. But again, I think the second one defends what I've been saying. They all need more work and it'll come. But thank you for providing a legitimate example. I think in the second one, Alex R sounds like he's playing a different song all together towards the end.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Holy...oh, wow, I hadn't seen that performance of 45. Wow.

I still love you, Gaslight...but please, no more of whatever that was.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 9:13 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Holy...oh, wow, I hadn't seen that performance of 45. Wow.

I still love you, Gaslight...but please, no more of whatever that was.

Haha, yea. Like I said, the worst thing I've seen them do.

They start out playing a half key lower, but didn't switch to guitars tuned differently. When Alex starts the solo, he's playing in the regular key. You can see Brian go over to remind him and he tries to find it. Then coming out of the solo, half are in one key and half are in the other.

I agree they should play it lower for Brian's voice, but they need to switch guitars or relearn the song. I haven't seem a video of 45 from The show yesterday, but am anxious to see if they got it right.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm

bakerfall wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Klown wrote:

Right. Brian has said several times, more recently, that he's trying to get this big sound, adding instruments, 12 strings etc. Gaslight has grown a lot, past being a punk band. I just think as Brian gets older and matures as a song writer, the band will continue to change as well. Or, he'll expand with a different band and Gaslight will continue as is. Who knows. My point was just that nothing with this band has been status quo from one album to the next, so I expect the change to continue in one way or another.

I agree that they are continually changing but if all they did was make Sink or Swim 2 and 3 they wouldn't be my favorite band because I'd get bored. Who knows about the future but I'm not about to bet money that Brian's going to ditch TGA and move on to crazier stuff. He knows that while he may be (in my opinion) the most valuable member of TGA, he's certainly not the only one making those songs what they are. Hopefully THC will take care of his urge to do anything that's drastically different. It's easy to forget too that he didn't feel like they'd found what they sound like until American Slang.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 am

bakerfall wrote:

And I could link gazillions of videos where his guitar is NOT out of tune. What would your argument be then?
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 am

Harbortown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:

And I could link gazillions of videos where his guitar is NOT out of tune. What would your argument be then?

That those aren't my examples of him being out of tune and screwing up? Wink

Look, my point all along has only been that he is unnecessary on EVERY song and because he's mimicking Brian's rhythm, you really only notice him when he screws up. Maybe he will be more necessary on new songs, we'll see.

I really don't want to argue this point over and over again, some people in this thread have agreed with me, some haven't and some think I'm a dick. So let's just move on, get some more shows with Ian, get some more recordings, and see how things proceed. Cool?
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Thu May 31, 2012 12:28 am

Everyone needs to chill out abit. If you have an opinion cool share it. If you don't like the persons opinion don't feel obligated to respond. Just live and let live.

I've seen passive aggressive comments and sarcasim thrown around (on both sides) that are just completely unnecesary. And is not how DSS members act (or should act).

The great thing about this forum is how people are able to openly share their views (good or bad) and have a welcoming community who will be open minded and friendly. The arguments are not necesary. if you don't like something, just don't respond. -simple.

Also, no need to repeat your point more than once. Make your point and move on, no need to beat a dead horse (which is basically what keeps happening in this).

-------------------------

And if you are angered by a user who you think is truely stepping out of line send a message to an admin. No need to try and handle it yourself. And it will be 100% confidencial.

We can't help you unless you let us know something is wrong.

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
TheSultanOfSwing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I feel almost proud to see Ian playing with the band. Seeing him go from the guitar tech to being in the band has been pretty inspiring. It certainly puts a smile on my face.

Saying that I assume he will only be used to make the sound 'bigger' like many bands do such as Green Day etc. He won't be on any album or magazine covers and that's fine. It's just great to see him enjoying himself.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

After seeing them at Koko, it's now a non issue for me. I thought Ian was great and the sound was fantastic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:26 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
After seeing them at Koko, it's now a non issue for me. I thought Ian was great and the sound was fantastic!

I think a large percentage of us always agreed that it was a case of just holding off with opinion and not judging from YT clips. Thought he was fantastic at Koko, and added to the overall feel of the band, and has helped them find an arena groove now...

Which, funny enough, is exactly where they are heading for, handy that,eh?!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:40 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:

I agree completely. No issues over the sound with Ian at all Smile
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I really don't see what the deal is. He was great at Koko, and if the band feel like he is an improvement then so be it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   

Back to top Go down

Ian Perkins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next