A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ian Perkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Ahhhh...everybody's buds again.

It looks like all my friends have...turned the record over.

Yes, I went there.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:29 am

I think what it boils down to is a difference in people's expectations of touring and official members. I don't necessarily know that Brian would be a great touring member if you tacked him on as a third guitarist to some other band. He tends to play open chords, and his voice can be pretty finicky. But he's obviously tremendously talented and integral to the creative process of Gaslight, so it's not like people are complaining that they should replace him with somebody who doesn't make any mistakes. Same thing goes with pretty much any musician in any band.

People have pointed to Ian's work on Elsie, which I'm sure we can agree is awesome (the shivery tremolo on Sugar still gives me chills). But because he's half-in, half-out of Gaslight, it's harder to justify his presence there. You can't say that he's integral as a way of justifying his faults, since he's a touring member. And you can't really make the same excuses for touring members.

The job of touring members should be to fill out the sound that a band creates in the studio but can't fill out live. A real pro like Ray Suen, who's toured with the Killers, is a pitch perfect keyboardist/rhythm guitarist/backing vocalist and a perfect example of staying in the background, adding to the sound but never subtracting from it (because he's a champ who rarely, if ever makes mistakes). And I think that's kind of what a touring member needs to be. Like an extra in a movie, who you never notice but never screws up and distracts from the main action.

And since Gaslight has very much stuck to a fairly DIY punk ethos, I don't really find it likely that they'd get a pro session musician to tour with them. They rely on their friends, which is cool, but in this case it's going to mean a lot more work to get things in shape. The benefits are already there (Brian getting to wave his arms around and be a bandleader is pretty cool), but the band's gotta be on top of things, especially given the opportunity they have to become a legitimately massive band. It would be frustrating if, say, during one of their upcoming performances on Letterman and Jimmy Fallon in July, Ian botches a couple of chords and the performance comes off as sloppy, turning off potential fans. After all, it would be easy to say, "well, he didn't have to be there." Ian's just gotta find it in himself to be the champ I'm sure he is so he can add what he can while never taking anything way. Which is a hard prospect. But I think that's what a touring member's gotta do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 3:36 am

^^ I agree - that's what a touring member should be - and that's what Ian's not! Plus, in the case of the Killers, you can see why this Ray Suen guy is needed. That band have a sound involving multiple guitar parts and synth/keyboard parts that the official band could never pull off live between just the 4 of them.

I agree with Bakerfall and JohnnyC too: when the best part of a song like Here's Looking At You Kid is ruined by terrible, uneccessary guitar work - that upsets me! None of us are in the wrong or right here - we just having differering opinions on the talents of this new guitarist and touring member and his need to be on that stage for an entire concert.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:10 am

Personally, I think this discussion should be paused, and resumed in like October. By then most people will have had a chance to see Ian play live, hopefully more than once, and with some new material. So we can all form opinions based on something.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Personally, I think this discussion should be paused, and resumed in like October. By then most people will have had a chance to see Ian play live, hopefully more than once, and with some new material. So we can all form opinions based on something.

Agreed. Clap
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

Christophe wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Agreed. Clap

Me too! Clap
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 am

dan gaslight wrote:
^^ I agree - that's what a touring member should be - and that's what Ian's not! Plus, in the case of the Killers, you can see why this Ray Suen guy is needed. That band have a sound involving multiple guitar parts and synth/keyboard parts that the official band could never pull off live between just the 4 of them.

I agree with Bakerfall and JohnnyC too: when the best part of a song like Here's Looking At You Kid is ruined by terrible, uneccessary guitar work - that upsets me! None of us are in the wrong or right here - we just having differering opinions on the talents of this new guitarist and touring member and his need to be on that stage for an entire concert.

Exactly. If Brian wants to put the guitar down for a song or two, fine. If there are parts on new songs necessitating Ian, and he can play them correctly, fine. Having him play on every song, sometimes poorly, with no reason other than he's there, I have an issue with that. It changes the sound of the band in a negative way. Even just adding another rhythm guitar that's slightly off on a fast song will make it sound worse.

Gaslight has yet to record a song (that we've heard) which needs a 3rd guitar, or is even improved by one. So even if Ian never screwed up, he wouldn't be anything more than redundant.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 am

bakerfall wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:

Exactly. If Brian wants to put the guitar down for a song or two, fine. If there are parts on new songs necessitating Ian, and he can play them correctly, fine. Having him play on every song, sometimes poorly, with no reason other than he's there, I have an issue with that. It changes the sound of the band in a negative way. Even just adding another rhythm guitar that's slightly off on a fast song will make it sound worse.

Gaslight has yet to record a song (that we've heard) which needs a 3rd guitar, or is even improved by one. So even if Ian never screwed up, he wouldn't be anything more than redundant.
But it's not redundant, especially as Brian's guitar is always soooooo quiet.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:37 am

Harbortown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:

So it needs to be louder in the mix. Ian's guitar is and will be lower in the mix than Brian's, guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:41 am

bakerfall wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:

So it needs to be louder in the mix. Ian's guitar is and will be lower in the mix than Brian's, guaranteed.
But it isn't. Never has been. Obviously he doesn't want it that way.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 am

Harbortown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:

But it isn't. Never has been. Obviously he doesn't want it that way.

A lot of the live sound comes from where you are standing. Amps are loud, Alex R's is loudest, and that's what you hear. Brian's guitar sounds fine on soundboard mixes, where they are actually controlling it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:00 am

Very much agreed, bakerfall. Thank you!

Well there's 11 songs on the new album (not including the bonus tracks) - we've heard 45 and Biloxi Parish and they don't need 3 guitars so lets hope that the remaining 9 do!! Can't see it myself.

Oh and by the way, our opinions are based on something - the fact that footage of how it sounds and looks is already out there and the fact that we know 90% of Gaslights catalogue doesn't need 3 guitars - regardless of how well it's played.

Why should we stop talking about a big Gaslight issue on a Gaslight forum until October - that doesn't make sense?! This subject is valid to talk about and analyse now! Why do we have to wait 5 months? Whats gonna change in the meantime? My opinion is based on the fact that I don't think Gaslight need 3 guitars, I pretty much guarantee that the remaining 9 unheard songs wont need 3 guitars and Ian could play as good as Clapton and I'll still declare that Gaslight don't need 3 guitars/5 people on stage at the same time - I don't like Gaslight having an extra man on stage - it looks, feels and sounds wrong. I am allowed to think that you know. I still love Gaslight. You guys might not give a damn about the extra man onstage messing things up, that's fine too! But I don't get why the rest of us have to be censored!

Oh well, see you in October when we've heard the 9 other new songs and Ian's had time to write extra guitar parts for the previous 3 albums and EP!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

Just wait til they get a brass section and three full-time backing singers.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

Steve70s wrote:

You joke, but eventually Brian is going to get the sound he wants for some of this stuff outside of Gaslight or in a much, much different looking band. (not the Horrible Crowes). I don't know if it's gonna be horns, but someday Brian will front a bigger band, with keys and more instruments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

Steve70s wrote:

If they had the songs that needed such personnel that would be cool by me and justified! Razz
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 am

bakerfall wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

You joke, but eventually Brian is going to get the sound he wants for some of this stuff outside of Gaslight or in a much, much different looking band. (not the Horrible Crowes). I don't know if it's gonna be horns, but someday Brian will front a bigger band, with keys and more instruments.

Very true - I can't think of too many other bands where one member does a lot of solo versions of their tunes?

Wonder where it will all end up? The money's in touring these days apparently.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 am

Steve70s wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

Very true - I can't think of too many other bands where one member does a lot of solo versions of their tunes?

Wonder where it will all end up? The money's in touring these days apparently.

The money is definitely in touring, and in ghostwriting pop songs (something Brian has said he does).

My guess is Ian will be replaced with a more seasoned, multi-instrument member within a couple years OR Gaslight ceases to exist and Brian starts a new band. A lot of that will probably be determined by the success of "Handwritten". Brian obviously wants them to be bigger than they are, time will tell if they become that.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am

Well, at least we now know what the bands future holds, have you let them know?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Klown wrote:

Why is everyone comment taken so negatively? I said "my guess" and that guess is based on the trajectory both Gaslight and Brian have taken.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 pm

[quote="bakerfall"][quote="Steve70s"]
bakerfall wrote:

The money is definitely in touring, and in ghostwriting pop songs (something Brian has said he does).

My guess is Ian will be replaced with a more seasoned, multi-instrument member within a couple years OR Gaslight ceases to exist and Brian starts a new band. A lot of that will probably be determined by the success of "Handwritten". Brian obviously wants them to be bigger than they are, time will tell if they become that.

Yep, I agree with that 100%. Cool

Some folks don't like serious discussion about this great band and sarcasm is the worst form of humour. What's wrong with speculating and discussing Gaslight?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Klown wrote:

Geez, lighten up. He started the paragraph with "My guess..."

He's just speculating, which is, you know...what you do on a fan forum?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Speculating?

He's sounding like an authority on it all.

Makes me wish for an 'ignore' button on here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm

All good things come to an end - even bands - and the only thing that is certain in life is uncertainty.

That said, sometimes you can only learn you're on to a good thing when it stops.

The thing I have noticed recently is Brian Fallon's wish to "play Giants Stadium" is coupled with an almost sentimental approach to the fans with this small venue tour.

I don't think you can have it both ways - either sign to a major label or don't?

As for his anti-Internet stance, that's just weird!

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Klown wrote:
Speculating?

Come on, man, in the words of the Great Chuck:

"Take care of yourself and take care of each other, friends"

No need for the hostility.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Klown wrote:
Speculating?

How is me talking about the future after saying "my guess" anything but speculation? You clearly have an issue with what I've said, so ignore is probably the best route.

Gaslight has changed a lot since sink or swim, and horrible crowes was a huge departure from gaslight. Brian obviously has a lot of musical ideas that he wants to explore and in my opinion will not be in the confines of gaslight as we know it. The fact that i said this in a thread about them adding a touring guitarist should be evidence enough that changes are on going.

What exactly did I say that bothered you so? That there is a possibility TGA will not be around forever?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   

Back to top Go down

Ian Perkins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next