A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Petition for Admin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
also you can't run for a position and not expect criticism....

I don't think anything is wrong with two of our most active admins in Enola and Steady now.
This whole thing isn't about the current admins as much as it is about the forum layout.

alright then why not just PM steady Now with the layout people have in their mind and ask him to update it.
To an extent that has been efficient but it's a slow process, and he won't trust Debonair with the code or something, for some reason.

Debonair can explain it better than I can.

I'm not against Debonair......I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind this.
And I just explained it to you.

not really....you said Debonair can explain it better.....but whatever.
it's the fucking internet.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:50 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
it's the fucking internet.
exactly xD. but anyways, to make someone admin just to change the layout seems kind of absurd, but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6680
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
also you can't run for a position and not expect criticism....

I don't think anything is wrong with two of our most active admins in Enola and Steady now.
This whole thing isn't about the current admins as much as it is about the forum layout.

alright then why not just PM steady Now with the layout people have in their mind and ask him to update it.
To an extent that has been efficient but it's a slow process, and he won't trust Debonair with the code or something, for some reason.

Debonair can explain it better than I can.

I'm not against Debonair......I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind this.
And I just explained it to you.

not really....you said Debonair can explain it better.....but whatever.
it's the fucking internet.
To an extent that has been efficient but it's a slow process, and he won't trust Debonair with the code

If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I sent steady now a message about updateing the site look, asking for access to the site code so i could update it - after request from people to update the look. His answer back to me was that only admins can have access to the code. Upon telling others about this, they have said i should be made an admin, and now i having a strong backing who have wanted me to make this thread for awhile.

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...

there are allso like 5 other admins who arent even active any more Wink

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6680
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Yes, but that's the problem. Usually. There's a big bulk of the forum that's active even when there's nothing going on with TGA or THC, so that's why it would be a good idea to have an admin who's consistently active.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Debonair wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...

there are allso like 5 other admins who arent even active any more Wink

Stalls is around on a regular basis. I kno Vibes pays for the site domain and last time I checked e7c was in Afghanistan cause of the war.....so it's not like they have abandoned the forum.

Steady Now does a great job maintaining and cleaning up the site when necessary..
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Yes, but that's the problem. Usually. There's a big bulk of the forum that's active even when there's nothing going on with TGA or THC, so that's why it would be a good idea to have an admin who's consistently active.
just because they're not constantly posting doesn't mean they're not aware of what's going on in the board. after all this is a Gaslight Anthem forum so nobody should be forced to be "active" if there's no news about the band.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6680
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 26
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Yes, but that's the problem. Usually. There's a big bulk of the forum that's active even when there's nothing going on with TGA or THC, so that's why it would be a good idea to have an admin who's consistently active.
just because they're not constantly posting doesn't mean they're not aware of what's going on in the board. after all this is a Gaslight Anthem forum so nobody should be forced to be "active" if there's no news about the band.
I'm not saying they SHOULD be online, but because they're not it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have an admin who actually does show up more regularly.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Debonair wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...

there are allso like 5 other admins who arent even active any more Wink

Stalls is around on a regular basis. I kno Vibes pays for the site domain and last time I checked e7c was in Afghanistan cause of the war.....so it's not like they have abandoned the forum.

Steady Now does a great job maintaining and cleaning up the site when necessary..

i have posted else where in the forum a similar message to the following. I understand that life happens and these admins who were once active didnt purposely abandon the site. But many website as the years go on appoint new admins because of what i just said - life. I dont know for certain that ten years from now ill still be on here as actively, but what i hope is that new admins are appointed as i grow futher away. Websites are suppose to evolve - forums are suppose to evolve. Now i also have experience with web design and access to web programs, Ive built websites from scratch before, and i have a brother who knows a ton about web. So i can start looking at adding new and cool features to the site. This place has relatively remained unchanged since its creation four years ago, so i believe we should head for the future of this place. Hey gaslight is evolving - shouldnt the forum that follows them evolve as well?

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-01-03
Age : 28
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm

I agree that our admins are doing an excellent job but I don't see why andrew can't be one, maybe just for a future restyling??


although I am convinced we should wait for the new album to change
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1983
Join date : 2009-07-03
Age : 25
Location : Columbia, Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Sure, I guess I'll sign. I mean, our current admins do a great job. But Debonair seems like a cool enough guy. I don't think he's trying to pull off some evil takeover of the site here. He just wants to help and I don't see any problem with that.

Personally I think the design looks fine as is, but nothing would be wrong with an update either. I think it would be neat to design it based on the new album. Like whenever the artwork is released online, we could make it fit in with that.

A suggestion for Debonair though...why don't you just sign up for one of these free phpbb forums so that you can test out your design and show it to us without disrupting this site. Then if we think it's cool, maybe the current admins would be more likely to promote you.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 669
Join date : 2011-05-27
Age : 20
Location : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 pm

simo wrote:


A suggestion for Debonair though...why don't you just sign up for one of these free phpbb forums so that you can test out your design and show it to us without disrupting this site. Then if we think it's cool, maybe the current admins would be more likely to promote you.

Great idea!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:02 pm

simo wrote:
Sure, I guess I'll sign. I mean, our current admins do a great job. But Debonair seems like a cool enough guy. I don't think he's trying to pull off some evil takeover of the site here. He just wants to help and I don't see any problem with that.

Personally I think the design looks fine as is, but nothing would be wrong with an update either. I think it would be neat to design it based on the new album. Like whenever the artwork is released online, we could make it fit in with that.

A suggestion for Debonair though...why don't you just sign up for one of these free phpbb forums so that you can test out your design and show it to us without disrupting this site. Then if we think it's cool, maybe the current admins would be more likely to promote you.

Thanks man, I have stuff like Dream weaver, which allows me to use the same idea but offline. I have thought about doing that, but that means building this site from scratch. I wouldn't be able to get everything exactly the same. So having this sites code to spring board off of would be alot easier. I don't want to spend endless hours programing stuff only to hear - no I don't like it. Razz

And i like the idea about the album - something I could look into Very Happy

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 13514
Join date : 2011-09-16
Age : 34
Location : Spokane Valley, WA

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Yes, but that's the problem. Usually. There's a big bulk of the forum that's active even when there's nothing going on with TGA or THC, so that's why it would be a good idea to have an admin who's consistently active.
just because they're not constantly posting doesn't mean they're not aware of what's going on in the board. after all this is a Gaslight Anthem forum so nobody should be forced to be "active" if there's no news about the band.
I'm not saying they SHOULD be online, but because they're not it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have an admin who actually does show up more regularly.

I agree with Harbortown. The current admins have done a good job, this is a great forum, but it would be nice to have an admin who is here a lot, regardless of if there is new stuff going on with the band or not. Debonair would be a great choice because he's an active member, he's well-liked, he's knowledgeable about web design, and he wants the position. I really think making Debonair an admin could only be a positive thing for the forum.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 am

[quote="Harbortown"]
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
If Debonair were an admin it would be far easier and quicker to improve the layout of the site, granted the forum population wanted it, especially seeing as he's far more active than the other admins.
well Steady Now and Enola are usually very active. they might not have been posting much lately because there's not much Gaslight-related stuff to talk about...
Yes, but that's the problem. Usually. There's a big bulk of the forum that's active even when there's nothing going on with TGA or THC, so that's why it would be a good idea to have an admin who's consistently active.
just because they're not constantly posting doesn't mean they're not aware of what's going on in the board. after all this is a Gaslight Anthem forum so nobody should be forced to be "active" if there's no news about the band.





I'm not saying they SHOULD be online, but because they're not it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have an admin who actually does show up more regularly.

this times a hundred
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 am

So Steph I'll take it I can add you to the sign list Very Happy

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:10 am

Debonair wrote:
So Steph I'll take it I can add you to the sign list Very Happy


of course. i agree that most of the current admins are rarely here anymore, and i know that there is not a lot of Gaslight-related stuff to comment on, but it only makes sense to have someone that wants to be here no matter what to be a contributor.

and i think you have proven that you are committed and whatnot, you made the new, what's it called, background stuff!

add me up!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am

I hear you, but will need to consult with my fellow members of the arcane order of the guild of forum admins, who usually impose stringent criteria on selection.

There are admittedly others on the forum who have admin potential, so if anyone else is interested, put your name forward, provided you have a thick skin and the necessary maturity.

There is also the 'moderator' option, though I will need to look into the powers that can be assigned to that position.

And thank you for all the kind words. For the record, I check on the forum every day, but I have never been one to post much in non-TGA threads, so a lack of posts should not be equated with a lack of attention (though that may not go for all my fellow admins).

Lastly, admins can be contacted by PM, not just by petition.


_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 am

Hey man, The petition was not ment to be a way to contact the admins. It was ment to show that people on the forum have been discussing this (for awhile now). Just to show the admins that people agree and would like to see a new update/admin. I feel this, in some ways, better shows what the community wants as a whole, than just one person contacting through a pm. - don't take any of this as attacking, its not ment that in any way.

people like this forum and the admins who have devoted so far. But I think they also feel, from what I've gathered, its some what been abandoned by the people in charge. I hope you understand none of this was ment personally. We just want to gather and voice our opinion. Very Happy

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 am

Also I just wanted to add, I never thought of you to have abandoned, but you are one of the only more active admin on this site. I appreciate your dedication, I honestly do. But as you noted there are other admins who aren't active. Some of who, who havent, signed on in months or longer. As i have noted in previous posts, I understand life happens. People sometimes simply don't have the time to devote -like they did.

I would like to note that I didnt try to stage a take over or something. Ive educated myself on these free forums policies to know thats not even kind of possible. I just listened to what the people wanted. And my friends who I have met here actually encouraged me to make this petition. That's why I made it because they thought it would be a cool idea. If they said no, I wouldnt have done it.

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2010-08-24
Location : London, UK / Vienna, Austria

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

I waited a bit before replying to this thread. Mainly because I wanted to check back with Steady before answering. First: Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I personally want to thank Steady for all the hard work and the effort he put in the forum, building, maintaining and promoting it!

Personally I don't have anything against developing the forum further and grow with the band. I also don't have anything against appointing new admins, especially since I believe that there will be a lot of new people joining when the album is out. The one thing I don't understand is why it is necessary to start a petition rather than talk to any of us. But I think you kinda explained that ....

Although I have been quite busy lately I do check the forum at least every second day. I just don't feel the need in commenting every single thread Smile

And btw: I like the new layout!

_________________
Manuela
twitter / instagram / youtube / last.fm

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
avatar

Posts : 4155
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 25
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Hey enola, I don't want you to feel like the admins were left out or not trusted. I've talked to people in the chats I've hosted, as well as other threads around here. I think mainly what has happened is that people don't see the admins active, so they don't know who to contact. Also, mainly, as i previously said, I created this to represent everyone as a whole. Because we have discussed creating something like this for a while now. I personally feel, as well as others, that one person messaging an admin doesn't represent and get everyone's opinion out. This way we see how people feel/what they want.

Even if I'm not the person who you guys want to appoint, or work with. I just wanted to help organize what I've for the most part been hearing. I am willing to do the task, but I understand if as a whole you guys decide against it. As long as everyone here feels like this forum is going in a direction everyone likes. I don't think that just because an admin has the power, they should make every decision alone. we should hear what everyone else wants.

Hope this make sense..

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
bobbyw24
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 47
Location : Jacksonville, Fla

PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 am

I think that forums like this need good help.

Not everyone can be around all the time and it is good to have several good Mods/Admins.

It is a thankless job usually so if you want the job, I endorse you.

I moderated 2 very big Libertarian forums (30,000 members each) and had to quit one since too many people thought they owed the place or had First Amendment rights in a non-governmental forum. Ha

As for being a Mod, I would tell myself: I am not here to make friend--just to enforce the rules and to make sure that people remained civil and respectful

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Petition for Admin   

Back to top Go down
 
Petition for Admin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Petition for Full Public Enquiry
» Run through of the admin panel
» Admin password reset?
» Forgot ADMIN Password
» Unique password for the admin panel

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Board :: Forum Updates & News-
Jump to: