A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your own expectations - new album!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 pm

At the bottom of the right hand page I think it reads

'in the dark I cherish the moonlight'

Can't make much more out.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I hope by 'real soon' in reply to when is soon for a new single that he means tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Christophe wrote:
I hope by 'real soon' in reply to when is soon for a new single that he means tomorrow!

I would almost definitely think it means in the next four or five days, seeing as we've been teased about news coming "soon" for a while, and he responded to two questions about the single rather than just answering it once.

Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello - first of all, hey, long time lurker (I created an account about 6 months ago but I can't contain my excitement for Handwritten)

I have a feeling this is going to be not as huge of a transition (soundwise) as the band has been making it out to be. I imagine a much bigger, O'Brien-ized sound but in my opinion, all the press leading up to American Slang had these kind of descriptions that didn't really hold up to the actual music (Brian's own description included, especially). It's interesting that they've been name dropping Pearl Jam a lot more heavily recently, so it's possible there could be PJ tinges here and there but I expect this record to sound wholly like Gaslight. Hopefully it's not a scaled up sounding American Slang (I like AS but it's my least favorite of theres as a whole). We shall see...

Also, hello and I really appreciate what everyone has been contributing here over the years. I can't wait to see all this impeding news unfold shortly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 pm

I am looking foward to hearing how much 12 string they are using on this album.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 pm

I think Brian said it was only on one song during the Twitter interview the other day.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Darn...I was hoping for a return of 12 string being a major part of many songs.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Simo is right. Brian said one song for the 12 string.

Okay, for Handwritten, I would like to see songs that have elements of We're Getting a Divorce You Keep the Diner, Wherefore Art Thou Elvis?, Blue Jeans, Here's Looking at You Kid, The Backseat, Bring It On, Diamond Church Street Choir, and Spirit of Jazz. I have no idea what that album would sound like, but those songs all stand out to me so much in different ways, that it could be really cool.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:31 pm

I would love to see Biloxi Parish and Mary the blues finally find a home.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I've convinced myself that Handwritten is going to sound a lot like the Vs. album by Pearl Jam, looser and harder rocking. I think the "Changing of the Guard" cover and iTunes Session support this, plus the PJ / Foo Fighters influence. I think it'll have some of the beauty of Elsie too, so it's not just a bunch of rough hard rock tunes.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Jimmy, do you read the threads about Handwritten? Biloxi Parish is definitely going to be on the album. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the first single, even though we all already know it. It's just such a strong song and would get the album off on the right foot. But I want new songs!

And I would also love to see The Blues, Mary officially released. It's beautiful. And Italian Lightning too. Hopefully someday...

Last edited by IrishNameAndAnInjury on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

I really don't think The Blues, Mary or any of those songs are going to see any kind of release...First of all they're not Gaslight songs. And also Brian has plenty opportunities to play them in the recent solo shows he has done and he doesn't, so I don't think those songs are on his radar.

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Said the same thing about the promise with Springsteen. Yet it got released. Not saying you are wrong, just saying anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 am

I hope that every song sounds like the backseat, it would be the perfect album Clap
Back to top Go down
Don Carlo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:47 am

I'm just hoping that this album rocks from the first song till the last. I will refrain from expecting anything else because I can't possibly begin to imagine how great this album is going to be!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

I hope it's not Biloxi Parish. That track is a bit hit and miss for me.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 am

riversedge wrote:

Really? Shocked What don't you like about it?
Back to top Go down
holdonnow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
riversedge wrote:

I feel the exact same way. It's not that I don't like "Biloxi Parish", but for it being a song by TGA, it's nothing more than mediocre to me (obviously though, when you're TGA your songs are held to a higher standard). If you were to put "Biloxi Parish" on any of their three albums and/or EP, it would be one of the more average tracks, in my opinion. One example in my mind is remembering hearing "Biloxi Parish" and "Our Father's Sons" right around the same time; specifically, I recall enjoying "Our Father's Sons" so much more than "Biloxi Parish".....thinking to myself...damn, this track didn't even make it on the album ("the 59 sound") and yet I enjoy it much more than "Biloxi Parish".

Btw, are you all sure that "Biloxi" is going to be on "Handwritten"? I know everyone's been saying it is, but I can't recall Brian verifying this. Personally, I wouldn't mind it being on the album, but I think it would be better suited as a bonus track to put on a 7" after the release of the new album. Just my thoughts.

PS: Please hurry up and announce something! This is getting crazy.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Like Holdonnow said... Biloxi isn't a bad song by any means, but by Gaslight's standards Fallon has wrote FAR, FAR better tracks. I think i'll appreciate it a lot more on the record though.

ps - I love the intro riff!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

holdonnow wrote:
riversedge wrote:

I feel the exact same way. It's not that I don't like "Biloxi Parish", but for it being a song by TGA, it's nothing more than mediocre to me (obviously though, when you're TGA your songs are held to a higher standard). If you were to put "Biloxi Parish" on any of their three albums and/or EP, it would be one of the more average tracks, in my opinion. One example in my mind is remembering hearing "Biloxi Parish" and "Our Father's Sons" right around the same time; specifically, I recall enjoying "Our Father's Sons" so much more than "Biloxi Parish".....thinking to myself...damn, this track didn't even make it on the album ("the 59 sound") and yet I enjoy it much more than "Biloxi Parish".

Btw, are you all sure that "Biloxi" is going to be on "Handwritten"? I know everyone's been saying it is, but I can't recall Brian verifying this. Personally, I wouldn't mind it being on the album, but I think it would be better suited as a bonus track to put on a 7" after the release of the new album. Just my thoughts.

That's really interesting. I have the completely opposite opinion regarding Biloxi Parish and Our Father's Sons. Don't get me wrong, I think Our Father's Sons is great, but judging by Gaslight standards, I think it's slightly more average than most. But with Biloxi Parish, I absolutely love it - the story, the sound, every single lyric - the whole enchilada. I actually think it's kind of cool that people who all love TGA so much can have opposite views on certain songs. I like to hear where other people are coming from with how they interpret the music.

Yes, Biloxi Parish is on Handwritten. I believe Brian confirmed it in an interview or two earlier this year. I'll try to find where.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Just want to say that in my opinion Biloxi Parish is a far better song than Our Fathers Sons. When I first heard Biloxi I thought they really are taking things to the next level. I think the recorded version is going to sound HUGE. Our Fathers Sons to me feels a lot more like a b-side and I don't rate it as one of Gaslight's best songs and can see why it wasn't included on The '59 Sound. I'm almost 100% sure Biloxi Parish will be on Handwritten as in one of the early articles it talks about Biloxi Parish, Mae and 45.

I have resisted checking this forum for five hours (and that's a new record for me!) and still no single Rolling Eyes Wondering if the day will ever come now bounce
Back to top Go down
Don Carlo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm

holdonnow wrote:
riversedge wrote:

I think you need to take into consideration that all we've heard is an early version of Biloxi Parish that I think Brian just wanted to "try out" for some audiences. I personally really like the song and I'm expecting that the band put alot of work into it since they had played it live.
Back to top Go down
holdonnow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Don Carlo wrote:
holdonnow wrote:
riversedge wrote:

I think you need to take into consideration that all we've heard is an early version of Biloxi Parish that I think Brian just wanted to "try out" for some audiences. I personally really like the song and I'm expecting that the band put alot of work into it since they had played it live.

True. To be honest, I was actually thinkng/considering that and was going to include it in my post but it was getting a bit long and decided not to. But yeah, I do hope that "Biloxi" sounds better in studio and suspect that it definitely will. One of my reasons for saying above that I prefer it as a bonus track to be put on a 7" was unrelated to the song's quality but more related to my perception of the song kind of being a bit of an "odd ball" as Brian described it, possibly better suited for a 7" than this album. Either way, I just can't wait to hear the song and more so, the album!!!
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Grunge, it's going to be grungy.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm pretending Handwritten dosen't exist so the single will be REALLY unexpected for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your own expectations - new album!   

Back to top Go down

Your own expectations - new album!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next