A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Hasn't this thread basically been done in four other threads? Except the tittle is just direct? Eh w/e

Can't wait to hear some of those horrible gs

Anyways, they prob won't get like Bruce Springsteen successful(sorry for the Bruce mention). Or big enough where you walk up to someone and ask do you know them(like the beetles) and at least they may know of them. most likely they will get an increased following, be popular with in the genre, but that's about it.

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Slightly off topic, but I really enjoy the fact that you guys all apologize for mentioning The Boss. It's an excellent testament to how played out the comparison is.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

The one thing I'm seriously worried about is future vinyl variants. Or future vinyl generally, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
The one thing I'm seriously worried about is future vinyl variants. Or future vinyl generally, for that matter.

why is that? Is it common that they won't make them anymore or won't have as many variants to choose from now that they're signed? if so that would really blow.....
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I would agree that alot of major label bands don't have alot of vinyl. If they do it usually is only black. It makes sense though, from a business sense. Vinyl is really more expensive to make, and the grand whole of people don't have a record player. Most people who buy the vinyl are just collecters of the band.

Note I'm not trying to argue vinyl sounds worse or better ect, just the average person doesn't listen to vinyl.

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:02 pm

You're right--it's quite possible that we'll be dealing instead with "collector's" and "special editions" and the always-overrated picture disc (FUCKING HATE THOSE). Fewer outlets mean fewer pressings--no offbeat little distros like Gunner or Sabot Productions or bigger punk staples like No Idea teaming up with S1D anymore.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Oh man, I didn't even think about the possibility of no more vinyl, or at least no more limited edition colors. I bet it's a distinct possibility though. That would be a bummer!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 pm

I think the closest thing we'll see to different variants is that the sleeves of US releases will say "Mercury" and the sleeves of the Euro releases will say "Vertigo."

Hopefully I'm wrong because I think those types of differences make for pretty silly (and boring) collecting.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Harbortown wrote:
This is EXACTLY what will happen:

Benny Horowitz has a nervous breakdown from being on the same record company as Justin Bieber. It's permanent and doctors find no cure. In a fit of confusion he quits the band and goes to live with tigers in south India.
Alex Levine signs a deal with a publisher to star in erotic novels about himself to sell to the lonely housewives market. His first release is "Plucking a different kind of string" which sells three hundred thousand copies.

Alex R, Brian and Ian are corrupted with the glamours and temptations of corporate luxury and agree to start a rap metal band, The Horrible G's, cracking out smash hits like "The homies of lower Compton", "I witnessed a crime (But didn't tell 'cuz I ain't a snitch)", "Copkiller" and "Gold bling and white t-shirts".

This post just made me laugh so hard that my husband thought I'm going crazy geek

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 pm

haha yeah. Harbortown, that one and the Benny/Bieber fight are probably your best ones Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 am

Will they "Blow up" as a mainstream act. That's very unlikely, very few rock acts actually become mainstream these days. But will they have increased awareness. At best they will be a Kings of Leon or Killers type act. But likely they will just play slightly bigger venues to slightly bigger crowds and get some more exposure.

But don't worry about them being too big. Also screw them for wanting to be successful right (Joking sorta)?
Back to top Go down
Sami
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 am

I dont mind them getting big. At all. I hardly liked any (mainstream) rock band in last 10 years. Maybe System Of A Down was good with Toxicity and Strokes with the first album. But thats fucking it. Ive found lot old stuff and lot of underground/indie new stuff. But some kinda stupid way i'm thinking. Where my Nirvana? Very Happy Well thats pretty impossible these days, but something like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I dont see it that impossible. I dont think they are going immediately play stadions (maybe not all), but hey did Green Day or FF play stadions in the 90's, you know in early days. Well of course there is some contradiction with myself. I wouldnt want to go see them in stadion. I saw FF last summer in front of 25000 people. That was too big. And with some bands even a festival main stage is too big. But whatever. I would go see them of course or then just cry in my home and went to bed early. Thats my problem. I hope all good for the boys. Madison Squade garden. Wembley Stadium. Anything they want. One fear is that when or if they come up with that "big record" I wouldnt like it. And every fucker that ive been bugging for band would go "this is great I like it" Very Happy. But again my problem. I would listen the other 3 and S&Q alone and cry again. Viciosly. Throws darts at the poster of them and yell "WHYYYYY?!?!" WHY DID YOU DOOO THIS?!?!? ARRRGHH?!? PGRPGRGRVVAFGKRGRGRKEQQQQQDQDWFV?!".

Sorry that last sentence was Finnish...

EDIT: i just hope they wouldnt forgot Finland Smile. They are allready been here 2 club gigs (sold out even they have barely any media attention) and a festival. bands like Kings Of Leon (which I dont like, but lot of others really do) havent been here ever. Pearl Jam played a drunken opening gig for Neil Young 93. Bruce's first was 2003 (since then he has been visiting quite often). and so on...
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 am

Dude, maybe you should talk to someone Wink
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

gaslightfan89 wrote:
Will they "Blow up" as a mainstream act. That's very unlikely, very few rock acts actually become mainstream these days. But will they have increased awareness. At best they will be a Kings of Leon or Killers type act. But likely they will just play slightly bigger venues to slightly bigger crowds and get some more exposure.

But don't worry about them being too big. Also screw them for wanting to be successful right (Joking sorta)?

Kings of Leon and The Killers are two of the biggest bands in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sami
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 am

jerseyrain wrote:
Dude, maybe you should talk to someone Wink

Im trying to talk more and more as I get older Wink...
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 am

not to sound like a jerk but i would love them to stay in a perfect world between not being known at all and selling out of giant auditoriums.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:22 pm

No offence guys but is this topic not beginning to wear thin on some people now. Just saying. Im sure we have more positive things to talk about hey...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Of course, like most people on here, I wish they'd stay the way they are, but they wont. They'll still be awesome people, but they're gonna get bigger. They have to...a band that great can't go unnoticed forever. I'd love for them to play small intimate shows forever, but they deserve the success they're getting.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:35 am

i.

Last edited by steph on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:35 am

jerseyrain wrote:
No offence guys but is this topic not beginning to wear thin on some people now. Just saying. Im sure we have more positive things to talk about hey...

^ okay but...don't read the topic then? if it bothers you.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 am

Holland wrote:
I think what will happen is they will totally overproduce the backing vocals of Alex R who will then become the frontman and Brian will go and join the Killers because he sounds exactly like Brandon Flowers.

NOOO why do people keep bringing up this reference? Look, i love me a couple Killers songs, but i do NOT understand the comparisons between Gaslight and The Killers. It might as well be Gaslight and fucking Lady Gaga. Where is the common ground? Seriously?!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:43 am

JimmyB wrote:
Personally, I see Benny saying they are bigger than Jesus, Finding a girl which tears apart the fabric of the band, and recording a bunch of Track number nine stuff... 9Whoever gets this, gets an internet cookie

okay. hilarious. i love how people interpreted "we are bigger than jesus" as meaning "we are better than jesus" religious nutbags eff yeah! not. but...if breaking up meant one of the guys from Gaslight creating a song like "imagine"...well...fuck...i would still be really upset, but it might be enough to numb the pain, haha
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:01 pm

enola wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
This is EXACTLY what will happen:

Benny Horowitz has a nervous breakdown from being on the same record company as Justin Bieber. It's permanent and doctors find no cure. In a fit of confusion he quits the band and goes to live with tigers in south India.
Alex Levine signs a deal with a publisher to star in erotic novels about himself to sell to the lonely housewives market. His first release is "Plucking a different kind of string" which sells three hundred thousand copies.

Alex R, Brian and Ian are corrupted with the glamours and temptations of corporate luxury and agree to start a rap metal band, The Horrible G's, cracking out smash hits like "The homies of lower Compton", "I witnessed a crime (But didn't tell 'cuz I ain't a snitch)", "Copkiller" and "Gold bling and white t-shirts".

This post just made me laugh so hard that my husband thought I'm going crazy geek
I'm glad you find my ramblings to your liking, Enola.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:25 am

Daire wrote:
gaslightfan89 wrote:

Kings of Leon and The Killers are two of the biggest bands in the world.

They are two of the biggest rock bands in the world BUT they don't quite have the same exposure or mainstream popularity as pop acts. Its just a fact that rock bands aren't going to be HUGE players in the mainstream pop market like they were 25-55 years ago.

Pop rock acts are like a niche in music today a few acts get mainstream big because they are just too good to ignore.
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh my god... can the Horrible Gs be a spoof support act please?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   

Back to top Go down

Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2