A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kupe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 29
Join date : 2010-06-16
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:04 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:
kupe wrote:
Give me a break people...bands can go from worldwide success to nobodys in a very short time...somehow everyone manages to forget that these guys are gonna have to support families and put their kids through college at some point...but no they should continue to play basements because they are "ours"....it's just selfish...if you met any of them you'd realize how wrong you'd be to assume that the success has "gone to their heads"....they've done it the right way and deserve everything they get


Aaaaaand there it is. I was waiting for proof that somebody had misread/failed to read the entire original post.


I actually did read your whole post...and it's hard to tell what you're trying to say...you said you understand their right to make money...but feel "betrayed" by them because their ticket prices went up (due to a ticketmaster fee) and that they won't be the same to you because they'll be playing bigger venues and more people will hear their music (I know that's not what you said word for word but you seemed to be insinuating it)...so you obviously don't understand their right to make money
Also my post wasn't entirely directed at you...someone else said something like "it's clear the success has gone to their heads"
Either way, it's a selfish notion no matter what you intended to say
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 4685
Join date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 am

Matilda Noir wrote:
Only b/c I watched a band I loved dearly go from virtual nobodies to these commercially pompous radio drones. Even though I still love their music, it's clear the worldwide success has gone straight to their heads and that's sad & ridiculous. I don't see this happening to TGA but then again I didn't see it coming with my other favorite either....

That's the actual quote.

I actually wonder if the price has to do with the venue. Like I said, the Stone Pony show was the exact same week as another club gig but was $10 more for some reason. To use Foo Fighters as an example again, tickets are $12 more at MSG than they are at Prudential Center where they'll be playing the very next night with the same lineup. So it's probably the venue + the charity. The timing of the label signing is just coincidence.

Funny, I was just watching Pearl Jam's "Twenty" and forgot that basically all other artists kinda let them flail in the breeze on the issue, so I guess Ticketmaster intimidates the hell out of everyone with their contract or whatever evil goes on behind the scenes.

I'll just leave you with this- you can't always get what you want...life isn't fair...the times they are a changin'...etc.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-09-30
Age : 37
Location : Jersey Girl!

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:28 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Matilda Noir wrote:
Only b/c I watched a band I loved dearly go from virtual nobodies to these commercially pompous radio drones. Even though I still love their music, it's clear the worldwide success has gone straight to their heads and that's sad & ridiculous. I don't see this happening to TGA but then again I didn't see it coming with my other favorite either....

That's the actual quote.

I actually wonder if the price has to do with the venue. Like I said, the Stone Pony show was the exact same week as another club gig but was $10 more for some reason. To use Foo Fighters as an example again, tickets are $12 more at MSG than they are at Prudential Center where they'll be playing the very next night with the same lineup. So it's probably the venue + the charity. The timing of the label signing is just coincidence.

Funny, I was just watching Pearl Jam's "Twenty" and forgot that basically all other artists kinda let them flail in the breeze on the issue, so I guess Ticketmaster intimidates the hell out of everyone with their contract or whatever evil goes on behind the scenes.

I'll just leave you with this- you can't always get what you want...life isn't fair...the times they are a changin'...etc.

Yea, that quote came from me earlier, but I don't see what that has to do with what the O.P. said and the dispute you two were having, but alright. I never said I had a problem with them signing to a major label and making money.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 27
Location : New Jersey/New York

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:53 pm

The phrase "insinuating it" is exactly where you're wrong. Did I ever even remotely approach the idea of fame going to their heads, or the fact that more people would hear them? No. If I were concerned about the numbers of their fans, I'd have stopped listening a long time ago. Nor did I ever say that I would stop liking the band. Regardless, I remain insulted by ticket prices that are literally twice as high as the last four times I've seen them.


Edit: And since you made a big deal about what it would be like "for anyone who's met them," I'll just add right now that I have met them all, and they've been good to me. I also acknowledged that my issue with this is largely personal and emotional, not based in one specific action. I do not hold a grudge against them for making money, but I am disappointed that they've gone beyond the sphere in which I was happy to see them--even if I do think they deserve to make a solid living. And no, those two things are not mutually exclusive. This thread was about an inner conflict with a big change, not an indictment of somebody making $5 more for a ticket.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Edmonton, AB

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:08 pm

you know, you seem like a good guy, and you have some interesting points. but i really don't give a shit about your "sphere"
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 27
Location : New Jersey/New York

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Then you're under no obligation to respond. This thread was always meant to be personal. And incidentally, it's your sphere too, since you're a fan at exactly the same phase in the band's career.

As for people that aren't making a point to swear at me:

Kupe, I understand what you're saying and I'm sorry for bristling at your input. But I feel like you were moving forward on a point that I didn't actually make, which was the insinuation that these guys are jerks for what they're doing. I'm not saying that. I think Matilda put it best: "it's a bit sad, isn't it?"

And that was all I was trying to come to terms with.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Edmonton, AB

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
Then you're under no obligation to respond. This thread was always meant to be personal. And incidentally, it's your sphere too, since you're a fan at exactly the same phase in the band's career.

As for people that aren't making a point to swear at me:

Kupe, I understand what you're saying and I'm sorry for bristling at your input. But I feel like you were moving forward on a point that I didn't actually make, which was the insinuation that these guys are jerks for what they're doing. I'm not saying that. I think Matilda put it best: "it's a bit sad, isn't it?"

And that was all I was trying to come to terms with.

okay im sorry my language offended you. i am under no obligation to respond, that is very true. i personally am not at a point where i feel like the Gaslight Anthem owe me anything, which is kinda what i think of when you say that you feel "betrayed." sorry to piss on your personal thread.

i hope you come to terms with whatever you're trying to come to terms with.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 27
Location : New Jersey/New York

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:23 pm

If I were going to start this thread over again from the beginning, I would have worded it completely differently. What this really comes down to is I respect them and remain happy for them, but I reserve my right to be a little disappointed when such a big change comes. Nothing more, nothing less.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody


Posts : 963
Join date : 2009-09-05
Age : 55
Location : midlands uk

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 pm

me thinks this looks like a time to kiss and make up guys...at the end of the day its any ones choice if they want to pay what ever to go to a show, Stone Roses tix flogging for 300+ a pair on ebay we are blessed with Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 27
Location : New Jersey/New York

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I would hug all y'all if I could, don't get me wrong. I love you
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1227
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 27
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:34 pm

You'd want to hug everyone here?

I can't help it, but I feel a little betrayed.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 27
Location : New Jersey/New York

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I suppose I deserved that and I shall display my humility by taking it like a bitch.


Edit: shit that looks angry, I'll fix it cyclops
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1227
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 27
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
I suppose I deserved that and I shall display my humility by taking it like a bitch.


Edit: shit that looks angry, I'll fix it cyclops
Wink I love you
Back to top Go down
AlrightToDrive
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 30
Join date : 2011-09-14
Age : 22
Location : Toronto, ON

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am

First of all, $33 bucks ain't to bad for a ticket. I've spent much more to see bands that aren't as good.
And Gaslight is getting to be a pretty famous band, so they deserve all they really can get.
(Also, Brian really wants a 49 Mercury and a 68 Mustang, so let him make some money from the tickets so he can get a beautiful classic car)


But in all honesty, they're still the working class, loyal, and faithful band that we all love, so whats another 10 bucks to the ticket?
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 am

Its not that much more than they usually charge. When prices start heading over 50 I will get worried (For my own ability to see them, God bless them if they are that successful)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.   

Back to top Go down
 
I feel a little betrayed, and I can't help it.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» omg i just listerned to the jeremy vines show on mp3
» Labour MP's to abstain on EU referendum Bill
» Would feel blessed to get some donated BM
» Steve Terreberry
» Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: