A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Grant Michael
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Good for TGA, but hopefully it doesn't change their process at all. Flogging Molly left S1D and dropped Ted Hutt as producer and promptly released the worst album of their career.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 pm

I would guess that gaslight will become a band who starts their own label down the line, but happy for what ever success is a head of them

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Not to worried on that score Brian seems to be in rich form at the moment. If he is going to record 40 songs for the next album , I think alls good for at least the next couple of years.
Think bigger venues will mean bigger prices lo.
Back to top Go down
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Holland wrote:
This announcement has had little effect on me , all i am going to judge them on is their music anyway. It seemed like on the last album video releases etc were not that well timed and they were not regularly on the radio or music video channels such as kerrang, this could be due to budget restraints of SideOne Dummy who i think would have Gaslight back any day if it did not work out with Mercury. I think they will play similar venues as they did last year in the UK unless they have some kind of Kings of Leon style breakthrough. Not much to worry about i don't think but lets wait and see.
Yep, there are very few contemporary rock bands who play arenas/stadiums - Coldplay, KoL and Killers aside, most major label rock bands still play theatre size venues, at least in the UK.

One think I think might go is the great vinyls, el jefe posters etc though I hope not.

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:33 pm

one good thing about this is that this solves the problem I was facing with my website, which was becoming unwieldy

I have now created two new headings, 'The Indie Years (to 2011)' and 'The Mercury Years (2011 -)', but there is no way I will be able to add everthying if this thing blows up (such as all the magazine covers, cover/free CD appearances, etc.); at least the Indie Years coverage is comprehensive (I hope)

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm

we'll help : )
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Steady now, even if you loose some stuff, your website will always be awesome. Helped me find a ton of stuff, thanks

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 pm

plugga wrote:
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

from TGA's Facebook page:

Quote :
We're pleased to announce that we have just signed with Mercury Records (that's Mercury/Island-Def Jam Records for North America and Mercury Records UK for the rest of the world). We have had a great run with the folks at Side One Dummy Records, they have been really terrific to work with, and they will always be our dear friends. We in the band felt that this was the best time to make a move to support our goals as a band, and we've met some really earnest and dedicated folks at Mercury US and UK. We're hard at work writing songs now for what we feel is going to be the best record we've ever made! Thanks to everyone for your support and we look forward to seeing you in 2012!

Thanks!
The Gaslight Anthem
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Bea wrote:
plugga wrote:

Debonair wrote:
Steady now, even if you loose some stuff, your website will always be awesome. Helped me find a ton of stuff, thanks

Very Happy

steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Bea wrote:
from TGA's Facebook page:

Quote :
We're pleased to announce that we have just signed with Mercury Records (that's Mercury/Island-Def Jam Records for North America and Mercury Records UK for the rest of the world). We have had a great run with the folks at Side One Dummy Records, they have been really terrific to work with, and they will always be our dear friends. We in the band felt that this was the best time to make a move to support our goals as a band, and we've met some really earnest and dedicated folks at Mercury US and UK. We're hard at work writing songs now for what we feel is going to be the best record we've ever made! Thanks to everyone for your support and we look forward to seeing you in 2012!

Thanks!
The Gaslight Anthem

on Facebook this announcement has already received 834 likes and 110 comments; this is a big band any which way

mingus
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Bea wrote:
plugga wrote:

Debonair wrote:

Very Happy

Agreed, your work is fantastic. Especially the things with the album chronicles and the bootlegs, incredibely handy. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Wow, lots of immature comments here. But, I can relate cause I had the same attitude with “my bands that no one knew” back in…..high school… Rolling Eyes

We all have to start somewhere. At some point, we all discovered a band who already had multiple album!
I heard about Against Me! for the first time when New wave came out and I don’t like anything by them before “searching for a former clarity“. I don't think it makes a difference.

A lot of people are overreacting. The Gaslight Anthem will not become the band that everyone knows about. I doubt they will get to the point where they will play the home of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club aka The Bell Center. And if they ever do, good for them! As long as they keep their actual sound and roots I’ll be a fan and if not, then i'll just keep playing my "old gaslight records"...
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 pm

I feel a little bit sad about the S1D split as well. Yes, I had to wait another week for my Horrible Crowes preorder but I liked the personal touch of the newsletters outlining the shipper's bio and not to get him upset Laughing

Having said that I really don't know anything about the background and I can't say if the change will turn out a good or bad thing but sometimes even good things need to change. We know that they are working on a new record and some shows for 2012, which is exciting, and beyond that there is no point trying to look into the future anyway.

I don't expect them to play arenas in 2012, if there is a move to larger venues, it would be something like small theaters but maybe they'll stick with bigger clubs anyway. I just checked out of curiosity and the Orpheum in Boston apparently has 2,700 seats while the House of Blues can fit 2,400 people. So not a big difference.

What I am wondering more is if the new record company may ask them to open for a bigger band under their umbrella on an arena or amphitheater tour. Not instead but in addition to their own shows/tour. I guess it will depend who is touring next year. They may also be able to set them up with more tv appearances and events because they have more connections.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm going to settle this

Mercury won't make gaslight famous, gaslight will make mercury famous

Yeah I went there, come at me bro lol!

Made the list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The difference between a venue that holds 2,400 and 2,700 is $15 in California.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: They had to take the next step   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 am

I think people have to keep in mind that Brian is 31 going on 32 and with the exception of Benny the guys is the band are all 30 or near 30. The way I take is that they want to see if they could still do this while they have the chance. Brian has said in interviews that around the time the 59 sound was blowing up that they were approached by major labels and they decided it just wasn't for them.

They did American Slang on Side One and it was awesome and honestly the right move for them. They needed to grasp the touring schedule and build up their following more.

After American Slang the band could either stay with what they knew in Side One and be the Indy Alt Rock darlings and make music they way they knew. OR they could strike while the iron was hot and sign with a major label and see what the next step holds. The band didn't want to stagnate their growth either. Its at a point where they can just stay where they are and not try on they could branch out and take a chance. They made the right move.

They had achieved all or most of the success they could at Side One. And to be honest if this dipping of the toe in the major label pool doesn't work they could always go back to Side One Brian still has the Crowes with them so not all ties are cut (And Side One would love to have one of their bigger acts back).

Its an experiment and I for one am glad that the band is taking some risks. Yeah its risky but hey lets see if they could do it.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:19 am

Debonair wrote:
Quote :
As for the Horrible Crowes....anyone think that maybe Side One agreed to put it out hoping that it might help convince TGA to stay with them longer....just something to think about.

That's alitle too conspiracy esc, maybe but I highly doubt that. Side one just knows great music

Plus too TGA is if not Side Ones biggest act its one of their biggest. Thus if the lead singer of a highly successful act wants to do a side project they know it would be a money maker for them. I don't think that they did it as some sort of way to curry favor to Brian.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:29 am

gaslightfan89 wrote:
I think people have to keep in mind that Brian is 31 going on 32 and with the exception of Benny the guys is the band are all 30 or near 30. The way I take is that they want to see if they could still do this while they have the chance. Brian has said in interviews that around the time the 59 sound was blowing up that they were approached by major labels and they decided it just wasn't for them.

They did American Slang on Side One and it was awesome and honestly the right move for them. They needed to grasp the touring schedule and build up their following more.

After American Slang the band could either stay with what they knew in Side One and be the Indy Alt Rock darlings and make music they way they knew. OR they could strike while the iron was hot and sign with a major label and see what the next step holds. The band didn't want to stagnate their growth either. Its at a point where they can just stay where they are and not try on they could branch out and take a chance. They made the right move.

They had achieved all or most of the success they could at Side One. And to be honest if this dipping of the toe in the major label pool doesn't work they could always go back to Side One Brian still has the Crowes with them so not all ties are cut (And Side One would love to have one of their bigger acts back).

Its an experiment and I for one am glad that the band is taking some risks. Yeah its risky but hey lets see if they could do it.

well put cheers

Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
I wonder what benny has to say, about being signed to the same label as Justin Bieber and all.

Calling it now: Gaslight/Justin Bieber World Tour in 2012!

Maybe this is all part of the plan, since Benny now has the chance to punch him in the face.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 pm

I think Arcade Fire have remained true to themselves etc and they are on Mercury , i'm not worried.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Bea wrote:
ok i will probably always listen and support this band, i have no doubt the next album will be amazing and i'm happy for them and all that blablabla. but on a selfish note, i kind of like this little "secret club" that we have going on in here, and i like the fact that no one i know knows about them.
I get pretty disappointed when people don't know about the band. It's such a great, real American rock band and they deserve more attention.

Bea wrote:
and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...
Why would that piss you off?
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:31 am

Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...
it just does. i've met people who claim that Kings of Leon are their favorite band, but when asked about it they only know Sex On Fire, Use Somebody and maybe a couple other songs. i'm not saying if you like a band you should know their entire catalogue, it's perfectly normal to just know and like a few songs or singles and i'm good with people knowing just a few Gaslight songs, just don't list them as your favorite band.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 am

Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
it just does. i've met people who claim that Kings of Leon are their favorite band, but when asked about it they only know Sex On Fire, Use Somebody and maybe a couple other songs. i'm not saying if you like a band you should know their entire catalogue, it's perfectly normal to just know and like a few songs or singles and i'm good with people knowing just a few Gaslight songs, just don't list them as your favorite band.

oh that kings of leon thing annoys me too, I've been a fan since molly's chambers but they' also have the craziest amount of fangirls EVER. Their concert are madness, I don't think things with gaslight would ever get that bad : D
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:58 am

I'd say half of the current Gaslight fans don't know their first record.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next