A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Quote :
I'd say half of the current Gaslight fans don't know their first record.

A shame too, sink or swim ihas some of the best songs in their catalogue, it suck that the barely play any songs on sink or swim anymore

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...
Why would that piss you off?
it just does. i've met people who claim that Kings of Leon are their favorite band, but when asked about it they only know Sex On Fire, Use Somebody and maybe a couple other songs. i'm not saying if you like a band you should know their entire catalogue, it's perfectly normal to just know and like a few songs or singles and i'm good with people knowing just a few Gaslight songs, just don't list them as your favorite band.
Some people listen to music differently.

My favorite band is Bad Religion. They have around 250 songs, I know the lyrics to most of them and I can play a vast majority of them too. Then again I'm a huge music junkie, and I'm sure you're the same way. All people aren't like that though, for them it might be a factor of two or three songs evoking feelings powerful enough for them to call that band their favorite.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...
it just does. i've met people who claim that Kings of Leon are their favorite band, but when asked about it they only know Sex On Fire, Use Somebody and maybe a couple other songs. i'm not saying if you like a band you should know their entire catalogue, it's perfectly normal to just know and like a few songs or singles and i'm good with people knowing just a few Gaslight songs, just don't list them as your favorite band.

My favorite band is Bad Religion. They have around 250 songs, I know the lyrics to most of them and I can play a vast majority of them too. Then again I'm a huge music junkie, and I'm sure you're the same way. All people aren't like that though, for them it might be a factor of two or three songs evoking feelings powerful enough for them to call that band their favorite.
yep, to each its own. doesn't change the fact that i don't like it and it pisses me off though Razz
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :
I'd say half of the current Gaslight fans don't know their first record.

A shame too, sink or swim ihas some of the best songs in their catalogue, it suck that the barely play any songs on sink or swim anymore

agreed
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:20 pm

When did Gaslight stop playing SoS songs? Last I saw them they still played a fair number (plus all four songs off SatQ).
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Theyve (from what I've seen, set lists and videos) started playing all of Senor and the queen, which used to be kinda rare, which is awesome. But really (once again from what I've seen online) stopped alot of SOS. Which is understandable, got to play what the fans want to hear. They used to play 1930, we came to dance, angry Johnny, and bunch of others alot. Now (I feel) you don't ever see them, or at least not that often. And come on when was the last time they ever played contender. Another song that they always used to played, but now rarely does.

I'm not saying they don't play SOS stuff, but its really decreased alot in recent years. But I'm so glad they started Senor and the queen songs- that used to be super rare

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:31 am

I mean obviously they've played less SoS stuff - they've had more songs to play so not enough room for everyone. But when compared to some bands who never touch their original albums at live shows I honestly think its ridiculous to complain Gaslight doesn't play enough off SoS.
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am

CluckyB wrote:
I mean obviously they've played less SoS stuff - they've had more songs to play so not enough room for everyone. But when compared to some bands who never touch their original albums at live shows I honestly think its ridiculous to complain Gaslight doesn't play enough off SoS.

Second that, they have played at least 1 or 2 songs off of SOS everytime I have seen them
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:54 am

Arista and Jive records shut its doors the other day. Anyone know how well off Mercury/Island Def Jam is? Seems like a jump to a major could have waited a little, but congrats to the guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 pm

colmillionaire wrote:
Arista and Jive records shut its doors the other day. Anyone know how well off Mercury/Island Def Jam is? Seems like a jump to a major could have waited a little, but congrats to the guys.

Mercury Records/Island Def Jam are actually part of the Universal Music Group, which is HUGE

"UMG’s strength and legacy of music flows from a diverse family of record labels which include: A&M/Octone, Barclay, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Disa, ECM, Emarcy, Fonovisa, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Machete Music, Mercury Records, Polydor Records, Show Dog–Universal Music, Universal Motown Republic Group, Universal Music Latino, Universal Music Group Nashville (which includes Lost Highway, MCA Nashville and Mercury Nashville), and Verve Music Group."

http://www.universalmusic.com/overview

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:51 pm

had no idea, thanks steady!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:08 pm

CluckyB wrote:
When did Gaslight stop playing SoS songs? Last I saw them they still played a fair number (plus all four songs off SatQ).

From what Ive seen and heard they give SoS and SatQ songs a good run out. A year ago in Manchester they played Boomboxes, dance, wooderson, contender, blue jeans and Wherefore art thou elvis. At Glasto this year they played Elvis and Wooderson in their 10 song set. They get less attention than the newer songs i guess but theyre definitle not forgotten.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Divorce live = sofaking good. My fav. song to hear live.
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:

I agree with Bea, how can you be a fan of a band w/o attempting to seek out their roots and explore their catalog?
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:43 pm

J.B.R. wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:

I agree with Bea, how can you be a fan of a band w/o attempting to seek out their roots and explore their catalog?

For me, it comes down to just not giving a crap what other people like and why they like it. It doesn't change how I experience the music one bit. I just don't see the need for a "fan police" to decide whether it's legitimate for someone to call themselves a fan. I don't care.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 pm

J.B.R. wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Bea wrote:

I just answered that question. Not all people have a huge appreciation for music. I know somebody who barely even likes music. You guys have ridiculous expectations of people!

Oh, and what this guy said:
Quote :
For me, it comes down to just not giving a crap what other people like and why they like it. It doesn't change how I experience the music one bit. I just don't see the need for a "fan police" to decide whether it's legitimate for someone to call themselves a fan. I don't care.
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:04 pm

I don't care about a casual fan stating oh "I've heard of them, they are pretty good". It's the "they are my favorite band in the world, the greatest thing ever" and then you find out that they don't really know them. If you're going to appreciate and artist, so the artist the respect and find out about their entire work. I'm not going around and claiming Henri Rousseau is the greatest artist that ever lived without reading his biography, looking at his entire career and trying to see the beauty past one painting.

Why half-ass something and then claim you are a big fan. That is the tragedy.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Quote :
Why half-ass something and then claim you are a big fan.
Because, like I said, some people have different levels of emotional investment in music.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Quote :
Why half-ass something and then claim you are a big fan.
Because, like I said, some people have different levels of emotional investment in music.

That's very true. If you only have 50 songs on your iPod, you're still entitled to favourites, it's all a question of relativity.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 am

J.B.R. wrote:
I don't care about a casual fan stating oh "I've heard of them, they are pretty good". It's the "they are my favorite band in the world, the greatest thing ever" and then you find out that they don't really know them. If you're going to appreciate and artist, so the artist the respect and find out about their entire work. I'm not going around and claiming Henri Rousseau is the greatest artist that ever lived without reading his biography, looking at his entire career and trying to see the beauty past one painting.

Why half-ass something and then claim you are a big fan. That is the tragedy.

But also if Gaslight gets more exposure there will be some people that seek out their past works and fall in love with their music, and honestly not a lot of people seek out indy music. In the mainstream TGA is unknown so for more people to like their music (Even the more casual fans) the better.
Back to top Go down
kords
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 am

I am pretty much at the point, that if this deal means that their tours will reach more countries, I'm all for it. TGA has been only one time at Portugal and the only way I can see them live is to fly to the UK. so if being in a bigger label brings them more easily here, I'd be really happy. nevertheless Mercury has some of the best musical acts on today's music, so I think it is a good move. I don't believe it will drastically change their music.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:44 am

If you have a few minutes, this is Green Day's story about making the decision to sign with a major label.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcsvKAHWsQs&feature=related

then it continues here around 5:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRfT8zurFQ&NR=1 (at 5:20 they talk about the backlash they received for doing so... even about people feeling 'betrayed'' at 8:14)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
If you have a few minutes, this is Green Day's story about making the decision to sign with a major label.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcsvKAHWsQs&feature=related

then it continues here around 5:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRfT8zurFQ&NR=1 (at 5:20 they talk about the backlash they received for doing so... even about people feeling 'betrayed'' at 8:14)

green day was in a different situation than TGA...they kinda like Against Me! came from a dyi community.
Gaslight was never a dyi band.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 am

MxBx! wrote:
Didn't realise Circle Jerks had been on Mercury, that's probably the closest sounding band on the label though. Pretty exciting news if this is true though, although probably would be better to announce this AFTER they had solid evidence.

haha @ the circle jerks going to be the closest soundest band.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 am

Bon Jovi was on Mercury too. Gaslight sounds closer to them than the Circle Jerks (notwithstanding Gaslight's "punk" bona fides).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next