A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Brian on dinosaurs/evolution

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-11-27
Age : 31
Location : Dayton OH

PostSubject: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Quote :
briangaslight Brian Fallon
On our way to record some horrible crowes live sessions! #doesbelieveindinosaurs
http://twitter.com/#!/briangaslight


He is too funny. I think someone (I believe it was on Vinyl Collective, but I could be mistaken) was talking about how they can't enjoy Brian's music because Brian is a Christian. The person threw in a mention of "creationism? REALLY?" as if Brian somewhere stated that he fully supports creationism. I have no idea where this notion came about, but apparently that comment made it's way to Brian. haha.

Back to top Go down
Tobi
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 273
Join date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

He made a mention of creationism in the new issue of Visions magazine in germany and it really shocked a lot of people over here ... hope he was joking and they got him wrong or something ...
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-11-27
Age : 31
Location : Dayton OH

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Oh, wow, I completely missed that one. Can anyone at least paraphrase what he said? I'm searching via phone right now and not finding anything.
Back to top Go down
Tobi
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 273
Join date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 am

fullcollapse wrote:
Oh, wow, I completely missed that one. Can anyone at least paraphrase what he said? I'm searching via phone right now and not finding anything.

http://www.getaddicted.org/blog-details/items/brian-fallon-religion-evolution.html
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1229
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 27
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

PostSubject: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 am

Tobi wrote:
fullcollapse wrote:
Oh, wow, I completely missed that one. Can anyone at least paraphrase what he said? I'm searching via phone right now and not finding anything.

http://www.getaddicted.org/blog-details/items/brian-fallon-religion-evolution.html
Oh geez Brian. You better be trollin'.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3228
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

Tobi wrote:
fullcollapse wrote:
Oh, wow, I completely missed that one. Can anyone at least paraphrase what he said? I'm searching via phone right now and not finding anything.

http://www.getaddicted.org/blog-details/items/brian-fallon-religion-evolution.html

"Evolution? Das kaufe ich keinem ab! Du glaubst doch nicht wirklich, dass wir vom Affen abstammen?! Ich weiß, dass diese Version in Europa sehr verbreitet ist, doch ich persönlich bin überzeugt, dass uns eine höhere Macht auf diesen Planeten verfrachtet hat." Zitat Brian Fallon (The Gaslight Anthem/Horrible Crowes) in Visions 222 (Drittel Of The Beast?), S. 35)

"Evolution? I don't buy that from anyone. You don't think we're descended from apes?! I know that this version is widespread in Europe, but I am personally convinced that a higher power brought us to this planet."

[I assume Brian gave the interview in English, so the above translation from the German back into English may not match the original words used by Brian.]

Is this quote even genuine?


_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

ok so he doesn't believe in evolution, what's the big deal? scratch
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1983
Join date : 2009-07-03
Age : 25
Location : Columbia, Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 am

Even if it's true, I don't really care. There's a lot worse things he could believe/not believe in.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1501
Join date : 2010-05-06
Location : Back In The Swamps of Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am

Bea wrote:
ok so he doesn't believe in evolution, what's the big deal? scratch

I don't really care but I think the big deal to people who care is that failure to "believe in" evolution is tantamount to accepting the notion that the Earth is flat or that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

I don't "believe" in evolution, I know it to be true based on measurable, emperical evidence. I also think it's perfectly consistent to accept evolution AND believe in an omnipotent creator.

At the end of the day, I'm really in the camp of "who cares what Brian's religious beliefs are." Every religion has beliefs that might be mocked as utterly silly and ridiculous.

But I digress. Let's get back to the music.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
But I digress. Let's get back to the music.
yes, please!


ps:
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Oh Brian, you silly goose.

Believing in God is fine, but denying scientific evidence isn't.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-11-27
Age : 31
Location : Dayton OH

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
I also think it's perfectly consistent to accept evolution AND believe in an omnipotent creator.

Very well put. I am not sure how or why evolution and creation are in such conflict. What, if you believe that we were created, you can't believe that the creator also put in place the process of evolution?
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm

The problem is that the Bible tells a story that is inconsistent with evolution. Thus, if you start to believe that some of it is fact and some of it is fiction, how do you know what to believe out of it?

Totally consistent to believe in evolution and an omnipotent creator if you are an agnostic (believing that there is a god, an afterlife, etc. but that it is impossible for anyone in this world to have knowledge about the other), but evolution and Christianity are not consistent.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 pm

If anyone is unaware of it, wikipedia Pascal's Paradox. Pretty interesting to have a sound mathematical argument about why it makes sense to be a Christian and not an atheist even if you think the chances the Christians are right is .000000001. Not saying it is a perfect argument, though, just interesting.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-11-27
Age : 31
Location : Dayton OH

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
The problem is that the Bible tells a story that is inconsistent with evolution. Thus, if you start to believe that some of it is fact and some of it is fiction, how do you know what to believe out of it?

Totally consistent to believe in evolution and an omnipotent creator if you are an agnostic (believing that there is a god, an afterlife, etc. but that it is impossible for anyone in this world to have knowledge about the other), but evolution and Christianity are not consistent.

There's also the idea that some of the Bible, while not straight up fiction, consists of parables based in reality but told in order to teach lessons--as opposed to being direct, strictly accurate descriptions of actual events. You have the camps of people who believe that the Bible is 100% exact and not open to interpretation, while you have others that believe it is a tool that is meant to provide guidance.

Disclaimer: I am nowhere near a biblical scholar, I've just managed to hash out my own beliefs that really don't need to matter to anyone but myself!

I feel that even the strictest of those who take the Bible word for word are "forgetting" some points, such as the rule that men are not to shave, clothing must not consist of multiple types of fibers, etc... they will preach a literal translation of the Bible, and yet they will... "miss" certain parts of it that they deem suitable for overlooking.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Yeah, I'm no biblical scholar either.

I don't believe in Adam and Eve.
I don't believe in Moses parting the sea.
I don't believe in Jonah living inside a whale.

So, how do I choose not to believe in those but believe in the part about Jesus's miracles and him being the son of god?

Believing that the bible is a collection of stories and parables to teach us to me is not "christian". That is closer to an agnostic point of view. I guess you could believe that Christ was the son of god and everything written about him is truth, but that the creationism parts of the bible are parables. This still be a Christian point of view without taking the bible literally. It's just difficult for me to believe some parts and not the others.

This was just on the TV. Kind of ironic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP4NxwOeeAU
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
I also think it's perfectly consistent to accept evolution AND believe in an omnipotent creator.

Very well put. I am not sure how or why evolution and creation are in such conflict. What, if you believe that we were created, you can't believe that the creator also put in place the process of evolution?
It's not so much believing in evolution as trusting the facts.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 5606
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 26
Location : Pennsylvania-The land of the Three Rivers.

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm

sorry to hit a topic this old, but. I believe in God, Jesus, heaven, the afterlife,etc. Yet I will not call anyone out for their beliefs, whatever they are.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Seriously if you reject the idea of evolution and the fact that we share a common ancestor with chimps then there's something wrong with you.
Back to top Go down
joe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-02-17
Age : 26
Location : vancouver, canada

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:02 am

thebiglebowski wrote:
If anyone is unaware of it, wikipedia Pascal's Paradox. Pretty interesting to have a sound mathematical argument about why it makes sense to be a Christian and not an atheist even if you think the chances the Christians are right is .000000001. Not saying it is a perfect argument, though, just interesting.

Pascal's wager is pretty interesting, although quite flawed. The wager basically asks "what've you got to lose by believing in a god, either you're right and you go to heaven or you're wrong and you're dead anyway?" It assumes that an omnipotent God is foolish enough to reward someone for believing only because there's a "mathematical" chance they can get into heaven.

Also, Pascal's wager fails to account for the many other religions in existence. Most religions today claim that they are the "one true" god, and that belief in another God is punishable by eternal torment. So the same question can be asked of any believer, "What if Christianity is wrong, and Islam is correct?" "What if Christianity is wrong, and Shintoism is correct?"

Like, thebiglebowski said - it's an interesting argument but not perfect. It is an argument you encounter quite often with theists. Fun to discuss and to debunk. Smile
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:33 am

I don't get it, whats the big deal again? Evolution is scientific law (A law in science is a theory that has evidence to confirm its existence nothing in science is ever a fact) I am very religious and do think that Evolution is true (Science is the how and not the why).

But if Brian or anyone doesn't think so that's their belief. And I think as long as anyone doesn't impose this on anyone else its fine. As long as Brian doesn't preach it during concerts its fine with me.

Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:54 am

joe wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:
If anyone is unaware of it, wikipedia Pascal's Paradox. Pretty interesting to have a sound mathematical argument about why it makes sense to be a Christian and not an atheist even if you think the chances the Christians are right is .000000001. Not saying it is a perfect argument, though, just interesting.

Pascal's wager is pretty interesting, although quite flawed. The wager basically asks "what've you got to lose by believing in a god, either you're right and you go to heaven or you're wrong and you're dead anyway?" It assumes that an omnipotent God is foolish enough to reward someone for believing only because there's a "mathematical" chance they can get into heaven.

Also, Pascal's wager fails to account for the many other religions in existence. Most religions today claim that they are the "one true" god, and that belief in another God is punishable by eternal torment. So the same question can be asked of any believer, "What if Christianity is wrong, and Islam is correct?" "What if Christianity is wrong, and Shintoism is correct?"

Like, thebiglebowski said - it's an interesting argument but not perfect. It is an argument you encounter quite often with theists. Fun to discuss and to debunk. Smile

According to South Park the correct answer is Mormon Sad Very Happy

But the way I look at it is the way Trey Parker of South Park looks at it and its that For all the fun and ridiculous religious stories that ask a lot of faith... science asks you to believe that the universe is ever expanding, will collapse on its self, it came out of nowhere and exists just cause.

No one knows no ones answers is that much better, just enjoy what you have life is for the living.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:55 am

honestly i would rather not know his opinion. don't get me wrong, i believe he has every right to express that opinion, but personally, coming from a childhood where one parent raised me to believe in "god" and took me to church and sort of pushed that belief on me, and the other parent was atheist but only talked about that subject when i asked to, my own personal belief is atheism, and i honestly don't get why that is so depressing to some people. believing in people and their beliefs and the power of believing in each other and treating each other well and living a good life simply to live a good life, not to impress some "god" into taking us into heaven with "him" sound more depressing than believing in a god...the whole thing stinks to me, so while i accept others' beliefs, i absolutely love it the less christian beliefs i hear, esp. in an amazing song, the better, so, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-04-13
Age : 27
Location : Kingdom of the Swedes

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 am

I think that not believing in evolution is kinda like not believing in the holocaust.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 28
Location : Washington, D.C.

PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 am

Harbortown wrote:
I think that not believing in evolution is kinda like not believing in the holocaust.

amen... denying facts is very ignorant, and honestly, i think it's quite offensive...

Dinosaurs walked the earth with man? really? REALLY?

I love Brian, but I hope this is a big joke.... I mean... wow...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Brian on dinosaurs/evolution   

Back to top Go down
 
Brian on dinosaurs/evolution
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Meeting between the PJ, Metodo 3 and Brian Kennedy
» Brian-kennedy.co.uk
» Dragon - Brian Chan CP
» flying carp by brian chan
» Brian McFadden

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: