A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:09 am

Debonair wrote:
JJW319 wrote:
Nice addition to Our Fathers' Sons from Cheap Trick

"Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.
Surrender, surrender..."

They also throw a Jefferson's(tv) quote

"Were moving on up to the east side, we've finally got a piece of the pie"

I don't know how I feel about this song, I kinda don't like it (compared to their other stuff), it sounds to much like blue jeans and white TS (to me) guitar wise in the intro/ through out. Also it sounds like he wasn't sure lyric wise what he wanted to say. It kinda feels like he was rambling trying to figure out the lyrics, and never got around to figuring it out fully.definetly can see why it got cut from 59 sound

To be fair haven't listened to it as much as alot of their stuff, so maybe I'll feel different after awhile

Well our Fathers sons was a throw away track from The 59 Sound. And that was when Brian loved to throw homage to a lot other works. Sink or Swim was filled with them, Senor and the Queen had a few, and 59 Sound still had some.

They phased that out as it was used less and less. I can't really think of that many in American Slang. And while I always love a little homage, it is good for them as they come into their own to start to break away from that sort of stuff.

I really dig the track but its clearly something from a different era of Gaslight
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:12 am

I would definitely be more into Our Fathers Sons if they got rid of the references, but overall I think it is a really good song. Not top tier Gaslight, but pretty damn good.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 am

simo wrote:
I would definitely be more into Our Fathers Sons if they got rid of the references, but overall I think it is a really good song. Not top tier Gaslight, but pretty damn good.

I think its a kind of cool time capsule to what they use to do in the past. But those type of references should stay a part of their past
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 am

But it's a bit less of a time capsule when they re-record it and change the reference to something else.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:27 am

I don't like the song at all. I'm not saying that in the sense that I dislike it, I just think it's really boring.
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 am

I LOVE "Our Father's Sons"! In regards to some of the "references" as some of you have shared about, I'm personally okay with them in small doses and I like them utilized that way. If a song has several references in it or if many songs on an album have references throughout multiple tracks, it can then be a bit much. I believe that most of the heavy usage of references is in TGA's past though. With that said, I hope they don't abandon them completely.........in small doses it's kind of cool, to the point where it takes you several times of listening to a song before you even realize there is a reference.......or if there's some trouble identifying where the reference came from..........those are the one's that I like.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 am

I'm surprised that Our Fathers' Sons isn't more of a favorite. I love it! Personally, I really like when they throw in lines and references from other songs. It's cool how they incorporate other artists' songs into their own, kind of like paying homage to their heroes. I missed that from AS and hope this next record is more like '59 Sound, although I'm sure I will love it either way. TGA can do no wrong. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bobbyw24
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Now streaming in its entirety at: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/1
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm

is that alex R singing the refrain in baba o'reilly?? he sounds a little pitch-corrected too. either way, it's totally awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 am

Just checked the iTunes chart, and TGA's iTunes Session is ranked 51 in the US. Not bad! It's also featured on the iTunes homepage which is awesome. I don't remember any of their other albums being featured like this. Happy to see them getting some more publicity and recognition! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 pm

So Our Father's Sons is now called Our Fathers Songs and Navesink Banks has become singular. Pretty poor effort by whoever.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

I think this session is up there with some of TGA 's finest work - I love it! I would've liked Gods Gunna Cut You Down to be on there though
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm

The iTunes Session is now ranked 24 on the iTunes charts! Pretty big jump from this morning when I checked. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 pm

just downloaded my preorder on itunes, needed something to cheer me up, great timing : D
someone asked brian about the early release in london, he said he was not really happy about it
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
The iTunes Session is now ranked 24 on the iTunes charts! Pretty big jump from this morning when I checked. Very Happy
23 currently.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 pm

joshyboytyler wrote:
I think this session is up there with some of TGA 's finest work - I love it! I would've liked Gods Gunna Cut You Down to be on there though

We already have Gods Gonna cut you down though through the All Aboard Tribute Album so its best they release different songs. Having said that they released State of Love and Trust as a live B side once but that still got on.

That said I like the sessions but it just doesn't hit home the way a proper Gaslight record would. Thats obvious I know because it isn't their own words but for me it means I can't get quite as into it although the performances are still of great standard.

Id say Refugee is the highight for me but I Our Fathers Sos has really grown on me.

One thing I am not too clear about though. 'Sessions' suggests they just went into a studio and played the songs as a band and recorded it. BUT I can't decide if they ARE performing it live or if they have recorded it just like they would in the studio. Can any one confirm this for me?

Thanks

Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
So Our Father's Sons is now called Our Fathers Songs and Navesink Banks has become singular. Pretty poor effort by whoever.

Our Father's Songs makes sense as a title, so i'm gonna withhold judgement on that one.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:53 pm

The best thing about this is the immediacy of the recording. None of that elaborate fine tuning as per Ted Hutt (which was great on 'Elsie'). Just raw Gaslight Anthem.

And the longer instrumental sections are ace.

'Refugee' is a bit pointless, as there is so little variation to the original (and Tom Petty does it better), unlike in the case of 'Baba', which is great. 'SoL&T' rocks.

'Boxer' and 'Navesink Banks' make great own-cover versions, and it's good to hear another version of 'Our Father's Sons' (I wish though that Brian had fixed those dreadful lyrics by replacing 'mixture' with maybe 'sinew' or 'muscle' - this could have been first rate).

'House' would be the outstanding highlight, if Brian had just sung the song and hadn't switched to screaming it at the end.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Quote :
'House' would be the outstanding highlight, if Brian had just sung the song and hadn't switched to screaming it at the end.
Easy there, grandpa! Technically he's wailing and actually hitting the 5th in the G-minor scale (Which would be a D), so he's well within key.

He sings it with passion. With the blues of a dog left too long in the street. Without his gut wrenching vocal performance, it would not have been as good.

Also, Brian and Alex should up their guitar game. The solos are pretty boring.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I enjoy Refugee a lot but I don't really like the original version very much.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Was it studio done or recorded live in session?
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:07 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
Was it studio done or recorded live in session?

It was recorded live in a studio, if that makes sense.

I just returned home to find my Horrible Crowes 7" in the mail and now this. What a great birthday present!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:42 pm

@Steady Now: Refugee...pointless? My eyes must be deceiving me! What in the world are you smoking? Wink I thought their cover was incredible, and maybe Tom Petty does sing it better, but I love Brian's voice on this song. I'm glad he didn't change it up much because it's perfect in its original form and I think it was a great tribute to Tom to sing it like he wrote it. Long live Refugee! Laughing
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Now up to #19.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
Now up to #19.

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"   

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem's "iTunes Session"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next