A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

first experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spork13
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: first experiences   Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:27 pm

this question has probably been asked before so im sorry for asking it again Very Happy
what was the first song you ever heard by the Gaslight Anthem

Mine was
I'da Called you woody, Joe
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Technically mine was too, but I didn't know it was them at the time. There was a song on Skate 2 that I liked, but I never knew the name or band. At the same time, I saw that Gaslight was gaining some anticipation for The '59 Sound album to be released. I checked it out, and watched the video to '59 Sound on youtube. I loved it. I recognized the voice, and then made the connection to I'da Call You Woody, Joe.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 am

I saw them play a song on TV at Pinkpop festival but I didn't think much of it I guess; can't even recall what song it was. Few weeks later I was looking for some new music and came across the name 'The Gaslight Anthem', which I thought sounded really cool. Then I figured I saw some footage of them before on TV so decided to check them out. Got Sink or Swim from the interwebs, put it on, and after hearing the first 5 songs I was fucking sold.

So I guess Boomboxes & Dictonaries ^^
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 am

I was trying to impress somebody (silly me), so I found out what music they liked, and hey happened to be a hardcore gaslight fan, so I checked them out (I think Old White Lincoln was the first song I listened to) and although I wasn't expecting to like them, I absolutely fell in love with them. (:
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 am

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
I was trying to impress somebody (silly me), so I found out what music they liked, and hey happened to be a hardcore gaslight fan, so I checked them out (I think Old White Lincoln was the first song I listened to) and although I wasn't expecting to like them, I absolutely fell in love with them. (:
And did it work out? Wink
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:28 am

Hahaa, not really but I guess I found the love of my life in the process. Every Cloud has a silver lining Very Happy
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 am

I can't remember if it was the '59 sound or great expectations, probablky the 59 sound
Back to top Go down
spork13
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 pm

JJW319 wrote:
Technically mine was too, but I didn't know it was them at the time. There was a song on Skate 2 that I liked, but I never knew the name or band. At the same time, I saw that Gaslight was gaining some anticipation for The '59 Sound album to be released. I checked it out, and watched the video to '59 Sound on youtube. I loved it. I recognized the voice, and then made the connection to I'da Call You Woody, Joe.

haha!!! me too that was like my favorite song in the game! and i remember seeing the title and being like ive never heard of this band looked them up a little. convieniently like that week they were playing a free show through wfnx in boston with a few other bands and i thinnk i fell in love as soon as i heard them play live. i guess i got lucky Smile
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am

Mine was Great Expectations...I did the obligatory scan of the music sites 'best of' or year-end lists at end of 2008, and T59S kept showing up on all the lists...I checked them out, and listened to Great Expecations from their myspace page. That song is still a Top 5 TGA song for me.
Back to top Go down
908-Billy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Mine was Great Expectations via Pandora radio the same year of the album's release. I always wish I jumped on board with Sink or Swim or prior to Gaslight, but it's amazing regardless of when you discover the treasure trove of good sound and lyrics. I remember the Bob Seger line in Great Expectations was what really tied the song together to me and made me pay attention. Then it was, "I learned about the blues from this kitten I knew / her hair was raven and her heart was like a tomb / my heart's like a wound." Then the chorus coming in....I was sold. 59 Sound was the best album I ever listened to, then I went back and dug through Sink or Swim, Senor and the Queen, and the live EP, then preordered American Slang later on. I still can't decide if any of those records are better than one another. They all have something that the others don't, and they all share the same thing: the fact that they're absolutely amazing.
Back to top Go down
Mechamunky
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am

I saw a tour poster for Rise Against/Alkaline Trio/Gaslight Anthem, at the time I had no idea who GA was so I thought they might just be a random hardcore band that I wouldn't like (no idea why I thought that). Decided to go check them out and I've been madly in love with them since.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am

Mine was Say I Won't.
I was lying in bed & my bloke played it to me cos that's the only time during the day when i actually stop & listen to stuff properly! the rest as they say is history!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:07 pm

First song I ever heard by Gaslight...that would be '59 Sound. Well, at least the first one I can say for definite was. I caught them at Reading 2008 and thought they were fantastic, and checked 'em out on Spotify!
Back to top Go down
The Boxer
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm

The '59 Sound, Bruce and Brian on the TV from Glasto. The rest is history, borrowed the albums from my Dad and have just kept on listening
Back to top Go down
Know Your Borders
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:55 pm

The '59 Sound. Got it as a free download off of Fuse's website around the time the album came out. To be honest the song really didn't hit me that hard after that first listen. It wasn't until after I really listened to the lyrics that I fell in love with Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 am

I was hanging out with Andrew from Against Me! when he told me about TGA, "The Gaslight Anthem, those guys are going to be huge!", I then went home and bought SoS through interpunk, so the first song I heard was Boomboxes and Dictionaries... I was hooked within the first 10 seconds!
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed May 04, 2011 5:12 pm

'59 Sound - I think poor descriptions of the band prevented me from checking them out earlier.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

First song I heard was I'da Called You Woody because I caught the Strummer reference in the title. I think I liked it but didn't think much of it until a few months later when someone told me I should listen to The '59 Sound album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first experiences   

Back to top Go down

first experiences
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: