A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Rise Against

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed von Schleck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 5
Join date : 2008-10-21
Age : 27
Location : Frankfurt, Germany

PostSubject: Rise Against - Appeal To Reason   Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm

So, what do you guys think of the new Rise Against album called "Appeal To Reason"?

I'm not quite sure if that many people on here listen to RA, considering that they play a somewhat different type of music and more importantly, have created a lot of fuzz in the states. I remember when I had the chance to watch Fuse TV and the likes pretty much every day, I started getting annoyed by the bands that were on rotation all the time, which should be the case right now with Rise Against. The situation over here in Germany is a lot different, luckily, so there's pretty much no chance that any RA song will ever be played on the radio or on TV. Smile

Back to the main question, the new album. I've been a huge Rise Against fan for the last years, despite them signing to Geffen Records and putting out more predictable albums. My favourite album will always remain Revolutions Per Minute, followed by The Unraveling and Siren Song. For some reason their last album, This is noise, simply wasn't doing it for me. There were a few great songs as always but too many songs left no impression at all and became boring really soon.

Appeal To Reason on the other hand really reminds me of their early sound, yet shows how they have changed over the years. The sound is sort of "back to the roots" but Tim's singing has remained the way it has been recently, as in rather melodic than aggressive. For some songs it works allright but at times I do prefer the more aggressive singing of the earlier albums. AtR perfectly shows his entirely vocal range and the songs aren't overly catchy, which is a great thing in my eyes. Overall I was really surpised by this album because I expected it to be a lot more main-stream and worse than it actually turned out. There are some of the best songs that they've ever created on there (Collapse or Savior), a lot of great tracks and only tw or three songs that are lame in my opinion. If they would have swapped the last three songs for Obstructed View and Tonight We Dance, this may have been their best album so far but it's great the way it is - I'd propably rate it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockriders.de
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1624
Join date : 2008-08-19
Location : Cleveland, OH

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm

I have not heard a song past "Re-Education" from that album, but I will maintain that Rise Against's best song is "Injection". Debate if you like, but that song is awesome
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1575
Join date : 2008-07-03
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm

I am a big fan of RPM... I got into to Rise Against because of a video called "urban ninja"... I am at work right now and I can't go to youtube so I think this is the video www.metacafe.com/watch/1426/the_urban_ninja/

I will check it when I go home tomorrow
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-04-09
Location : Alberta, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Sat May 02, 2009 6:34 pm

I like Rise Against alright, they're consistently good..great but I hear so much of Rise Against on the radio and on tv that I've kind of just ambivalent and haven't bothered checking out Appeal to Reason tho I do have it downloaded.

They have a new self-titled ep coming out on vinyl supposed to be limited to 5000 with the first 1000 ordered being limited to marble or something
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm

i love appeal to reason. i cant really expand on it any more than that. the only reason i havent listened to it in awhile is due to my tga obsession. but wasnt their last record "the sufferer and the witness," not "this is noise"? and i have to say i love rockin out to their journey cover...maybe im the only one...
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 569
Join date : 2009-02-06
Age : 28
Location : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Mon May 04, 2009 7:38 am

I don't like this album at all, with the exception of a few songs or so.

The Unraveling and Revolutions Pre Minute were golden.
Siren Song was great too, and Suffer and The Witness had great songs like Injection and Chamber the Cartridge
Back to top Go down
jward326
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2008-09-12
Age : 37
Location : Dayton Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Mon May 04, 2009 10:16 am

i am pretty sure "this is noise" is just a collection of covers they have done of other bands music. Not a true rise against album
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:03 am

well "this is noise" was just an ep and not a full lp

my favourite rise against album will i guess alway remain "siren song of the counter culture"

coming back to "appeal to reason": when i first heard through the lp i did not like at all. but going through it a few times i started liking it.
there are some songs that rly sticked in my head, like from heads unworthy


all together i have to say, appeal to reason is not that bad as many people say but still they worst rise against record
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 395
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 29
Location : Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:22 am

steph wrote:
..maybe im the only one...

Nope, you're definitely not the only one.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 395
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 29
Location : Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 am

I really liked the 'This Is Noise' EP & it was actually that EP that made me start listening to Black Flag because the covers Rise Against did were awesome in my opinion.

In terms of 'Appeal To Reason' it's good but it's definitely not my favourite RA album.

My favourites on ATR would have to be "Collapse (Post-Amerika)" (I saw them play this live and if I had died after seeing it, I would have died a happy man), "Entertainment' & "Hero of War".

But I really like and prefer the raw sound of 'The Unravelling' and in my opinion it is their best album.

At the end of the day, Rise Against will always be one of favourite bands and they've only put out one album that I would give less the 5 out of 10 and that is 'The Sufferer and the Witness'
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 60
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 31
Location : Calgary, AB Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:45 pm

I think Rise Against has gotten progressively worse over time. I've seen them lots and at one point they were definitely my favorite band. The sufferer and the witness drained me out though. It was hardly new or exciting and appeal to reason hasn't bucked that trend in my opinion. That being said Entertainment and Savior are good tracks off that album.
If they sold out completely and just did acoustic stuff, i sadly think that i would enjoy their music more nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 am

new song on their myspace.

its eh. just a typical rise against song.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1020
Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
new song on their myspace.

its eh. just a typical rise against song.

not necessarily a bad thing... but yeah... certainly not one of their best songs.

I personally think they are completely nuts politically, but their polished angry punkish hard rockish sound is amazing and unmatched.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 677
Join date : 2010-09-26
Location : Pittsburgh/State College

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 am

Their singles are always the more-polished song, remember. It's pretty good. Gets really aggressive in the bridge. I wouldn't have any worries for the album
Back to top Go down
ForgottenGhosts
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm

It's a good solid start for Endgame. I'm already a huge fan of RA so no matter what, I'll probably end up buying multiple copies of the album.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2010-05-20
Age : 26
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 pm

LIke Gaslight, anything and everything Rise Against is good in my books. I really dig Help is on the Way. As always, the lyrics pack a punch. Endgame should be sick, the cover is at least!
Back to top Go down
ForgottenGhosts
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:03 pm

The cover reminded me of Hero Of War at first glance, for some reason.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2010-05-20
Age : 26
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Speaking of covers, Rise should do more lol
Back to top Go down
ExitEnglish
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2010-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 am

CluckyB wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
new song on their myspace.

its eh. just a typical rise against song.

not necessarily a bad thing... but yeah... certainly not one of their best songs.

I personally think they are completely nuts politically, but their polished angry punkish hard rockish sound is amazing and unmatched.

i agree (except for the being nuts politically, they're spot on politically)
this song is just kinda eh. i'm pretty much the world's biggest rise against fanboy, and i definitely like this song, but it just sounds so similar to the last album to me. i hope the rest differentiates itself more. i'm sure i'll like it either way, just not as much as RPM or Siren song, or probably sufferer
Back to top Go down
gp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
avatar

Posts : 34
Join date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:39 pm

This is my least favorite Rise Against release but still has some decent songs on it. I think the last time I saw them was the tour for this record with Alkaline Trio, Gaslight Anthem, and Thrice.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2010-05-20
Age : 26
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

I have always heard this stuff about people not digging their "newer material." At this point, I would say I have almost heard more negative response towards it, than positive. Every one is completely entitled to their opinions but I cannot help but feel people are missing something.
Sure their newer stuff is heavy political, anti-war, and/or heavy with controversial issues, but they haven't strayed away from punk itself. People rejoice their first couple albums as their prime but I disagree. I LOVE early Rise just as much as 2011 Rise, so it's not a modern thing. I respect the hell out of them for singing about things not many sing against (pun). They play/write with hearts/minds on their sleeves, some of which requires rebelling against controversial issues. Taking a stand, letting their words be heard with aggression and melodies, not caring what people think, if that ain't punk, I don't know what is!
For example, the song "Collapse" is I think one of their best tunes. It's brutally blunt, but factual. It's basically saying we're fuckin up the planet and have no one to blame for it but ourselves. Punk in the seventies , eighties and even early 2000 is different than punk in 2011. These are real issues people need to hear, and if they ignore to, Rise will scream them at ya lol.
Rebels WITH causes, yeah?
There all sorts of new branches on the Punk tree, also including some Soul from our beloved TGA! Punk is severely adaptable.
Anyway, that's my soapbox, ya'll got opinions, and God bless ya for em Smile
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 558
Join date : 2010-11-21
Age : 24
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 pm

angryjohnnyN1930 wrote:
I have always heard this stuff about people not digging their "newer material." At this point, I would say I have almost heard more negative response towards it, than positive. Every one is completely entitled to their opinions but I cannot help but feel people are missing something.
Sure their newer stuff is heavy political, anti-war, and/or heavy with controversial issues, but they haven't strayed away from punk itself. People rejoice their first couple albums as their prime but I disagree. I LOVE early Rise just as much as 2011 Rise, so it's not a modern thing. I respect the hell out of them for singing about things not many sing against (pun). They play/write with hearts/minds on their sleeves, some of which requires rebelling against controversial issues. Taking a stand, letting their words be heard with aggression and melodies, not caring what people think, if that ain't punk, I don't know what is!
For example, the song "Collapse" is I think one of their best tunes. It's brutally blunt, but factual. It's basically saying we're fuckin up the planet and have no one to blame for it but ourselves. Punk in the seventies , eighties and even early 2000 is different than punk in 2011. These are real issues people need to hear, and if they ignore to, Rise will scream them at ya lol.
Rebels WITH causes, yeah?
There all sorts of new branches on the Punk tree, also including some Soul from our beloved TGA! Punk is severely adaptable.
Anyway, that's my soapbox, ya'll got opinions, and God bless ya for em Smile

I totally agree with you, they are making a change in the world one step at a time
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm not in the Rise Against's target audience anymore. I was when the Unraveling and RPM came out but not much anymore. There's just not much about them that I find interesting anymore. Personal opinion, only.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:19 am

Gaslight23 wrote:
angryjohnnyN1930 wrote:
I have always heard this stuff about people not digging their "newer material." At this point, I would say I have almost heard more negative response towards it, than positive. Every one is completely entitled to their opinions but I cannot help but feel people are missing something.
Sure their newer stuff is heavy political, anti-war, and/or heavy with controversial issues, but they haven't strayed away from punk itself. People rejoice their first couple albums as their prime but I disagree. I LOVE early Rise just as much as 2011 Rise, so it's not a modern thing. I respect the hell out of them for singing about things not many sing against (pun). They play/write with hearts/minds on their sleeves, some of which requires rebelling against controversial issues. Taking a stand, letting their words be heard with aggression and melodies, not caring what people think, if that ain't punk, I don't know what is!
For example, the song "Collapse" is I think one of their best tunes. It's brutally blunt, but factual. It's basically saying we're fuckin up the planet and have no one to blame for it but ourselves. Punk in the seventies , eighties and even early 2000 is different than punk in 2011. These are real issues people need to hear, and if they ignore to, Rise will scream them at ya lol.
Rebels WITH causes, yeah?
There all sorts of new branches on the Punk tree, also including some Soul from our beloved TGA! Punk is severely adaptable.
Anyway, that's my soapbox, ya'll got opinions, and God bless ya for em Smile

I totally agree with you, they are making a change in the world one step at a time

ditto, sometimes reading the reviews and whatnot, it seems like they're "out of fashion" or whatever, not that that matters. (i can't believe i just said "out of fashion", what am i, a grandma??) but it seems more like sour grapes from people that are pissed that another band is more "mainstream" than they once were. because to me, rise against still rocks, and they haven't "sold out".
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2010-05-20
Age : 26
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 am

Hell yeah Steph! Selling out doesn't just mean selling out anymore, it seems now it can also mean success! Personally I think Rise have used their pull to drive our focus to critical issues. To do that and still rock hard ain't easy! They are spokes-peeps for a world whos spokes-peeps are few and far between. Controversy isn't ALL they sing about either Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Rise Against   

Back to top Go down
 
Rise Against
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» MPs' expenses claims rise by a quarter in a year - The Telegraph
» Speaker John Bercow warns David Cameron on MP's Pay
» Rise in parental kidnap cases
» One Piece RP - Rise and Fall
» The Rise of the Far-Right in Europe

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: