A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

TGA and One Tree Hill

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:05 pm

so i'm at a party talking to a girl and i said that i play small coffeehouses as a musician and she goes oh that is so cool who are your influences so naturally i mention TGA and she responds "Oh I love The Gaslight Anthem, they were on one tree hill". after some brief youtube research, they used WDIWWWY. is it weird that that is a way TGA is known, i'm happy they are getting some form of fame but really, one tree hill?
i know there will be some that say fuck you be happy the band is successful and i am but really, one tree hill?
bring it on peanut gallery
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm

its a corny show and all, but its not like they were writing the album and WB went up to them and said write a song on your album that would be good on our show. free promotion aint the worst.
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm very far from being a One Tree Hill fan (Lost and Fringe are my shows), but I will say their execution of WDIWWWY was pretty great.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Do the bands even get a say? I remember Jimmy Eat World getting annoyed with ABC for using "In the Middle" for a commercial for The Middle.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Hate to say but WDIWWWY is prolly a great song choice for the show. The whole past/nostalgia/youth/relationship thing fits well as the current seasons are set many years after their high school days. My sister watches the show, I.Do.Not.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm not sure anyone could pay me enough to watch that show or anything like it, but free publicity is free publicity!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Bands make so little money off record sales that I never fault them for using songs in things like this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Hey if the show can get my younger sister to listen to TGA then im not complaining.
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:51 pm

I have no idea what one tree hill is, but did you at least close the deal with said female?
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Isn't it great that every part of society gets to know and love a great band like this one, even the people who like chickflicks like One Three Hill? Doesn't have to be all punk and rock 'n roll imho... What's the negative side of One Three Hill-watchers getting the possibility to discover TGA?
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 pm

don't seem like the band minds too much about it:

Here's Looking at You, Kid was on Chuck, nobody seems to care about it being on that show, so why such a big deal with One Tree Hill?

4 or 5 years ago, i was watching a One Tree Hill episode and then this song starts playing... i have no idea who's singing or what band it is, all i know is this is something different. found out later it was Tell Me What It Takes by Lucero. now this band is one of my favourite bands, it has been since then. and oddly enough, it was this TV show that made me discover it... One Tree Hill gave me Lucero...

doesn't matter if you like the show or not, if this helps to get someone who's watching to actually stop and say "hey, who's this band?"... if people find out about Gaslight by watching One Tree Hill, if this makes them discover a band that will change their life, or just Google the band or buy a record or download a song, well... that's good enough for me...

the day we hear a Gaslight song on a Jersey Shore episode or in a car commercial, that's the day we should start to worry =P
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:54 am

J.B.R. wrote:
I have no idea what one tree hill is, but did you at least close the deal with said female?
it went well Cool
and i know that free publicity is free publicity, but i feel like there's something amiss with a show like one tree hill or gossip girl
when the simpsons wanted to use born in the usa and south park use streets of Philadelphia, springsteen said no offense to the show, but the song would lose some of its meaning
obviously its a different time but still, it just sits strange with me
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 am

No offense, but I feel like any of us would license our song to those shows if we were in the same situation. But since we're nobodies, we're all punk and stuff.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am

Harry Lime wrote:
I'm very far from being a One Tree Hill fan (Lost and Fringe are my shows), but I will say their execution of WDIWWWY was pretty great.

I don't see a problem with it at. Free publicity.

Totally unrelated, but I'm a huge lost fan too and I'm looking for a new show to watch. I watched a couple fringe episodes when it was first on tv and couldn't get into it. But my buddy says it gets better. Does it get better and it it comparable with lost in quality?
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:48 am

Jay wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Totally unrelated, but I'm a huge lost fan too and I'm looking for a new show to watch. I watched a couple fringe episodes when it was first on tv and couldn't get into it. But my buddy says it gets better. Does it get better and it it comparable with lost in quality?
dude...dexter...it will blow your mind. if you have nightmares about it then try 24 or white collar (though that is more comedy) and sons of anarchy is a great show
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 am

Nothing can beat Lost.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:33 am

aren't the creators of Lost coming up with a new show? idk a friend told me so, maybe it's not true xD
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Jay wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Fringe is amazing. The first season was problematic (many people found the main character boring), but if you stick with it, I promise it gets better. Things start to pick up in the middle of season 1, and from season 2 onward it starts approaching Lost-like greatness. And unlike Lost, Fringe answers most of the questions it brings up.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:51 pm

I think it's one of the most clever things they can do because as some of you already said it is after all good publicity, will appear on soundtracks and attract a new audience. Just think of what Grey's Anatomy did to Snow Patrol! And I suppose they even get paid for it ...

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 am

I'm gonna sound like a total geek here, but OTH has had some good music over the years--
The Cure, Led Zeppelin, Hot Water Music, Tegan and Sara, TV on the Radio, Ryan Adams, AM!, Lucero, Bloc Party, The Honorary Title, INXS, Ray LaMontagne, Jose Gonzalez, Lissie, Low vs Diamond, Mumford and Sons, Nada Surf, the National, Noisettes, Pearl Jam, Placebo, Shout Out Louds, Damien Rice, Silversun Pickups, Rocky Votolato, The Replacements
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am

Chuck and One Tree Hill suck. Who cares?
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
CASANOVA, BILLY!
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 am

PFREEZY wrote:
ESPN also used American Slang, Boxer, Spirit of Jazz, and Orpahns over the summer during the X-Games
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 am

PFREEZY wrote:

You, since you're reading this thread.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:21 pm

In the last 6 episodes of One Tree Hill I just watched there were 3 different TGA songs!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:54 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
In the last 6 episodes of One Tree Hill I just watched there were 3 different TGA songs!

Just looked this up and apparently One Tree hill has mentioned them or used their songs in three recent episodes (According to a few internet searches). Good for the band to get some exposure to a different audience. And if somewhere this causes a few hot girls to like TGA then One Tree Hill won't be hated by me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TGA and One Tree Hill   

Back to top Go down

TGA and One Tree Hill
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next