A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 am

Boy that's interesting. Reading interviews, I thought Brian wanted to distance himself from the sound of the 59 sound a little bit, that it was too easily categorized as Punk-Bruce or Bruce 2.0.

But I would consider that better news than bad news. I like AS and 59 Sound, but to me 59 Sound has had more lasting power. A year has passed since AS was released, and I'd still grab 59 S first when choosing. I don't think it's because of the nostalgia (which I do like), but the songs just resonate better. I'm probably not articulating this as well as I should, but hope you get the point. Now I'd be even more excited if he said they were going back to S or S era. That would be bringing it.
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 am

Reinvent good times wrote:
Boy that's interesting. Reading interviews, I thought Brian wanted to distance himself from the sound of the 59 sound a little bit, that it was too easily categorized as Punk-Bruce or Bruce 2.0.

But I would consider that better news than bad news. I like AS and 59 Sound, but to me 59 Sound has had more lasting power. A year has passed since AS was released, and I'd still grab 59 S first when choosing. I don't think it's because of the nostalgia (which I do like), but the songs just resonate better. I'm probably not articulating this as well as I should, but hope you get the point. Now I'd be even more excited if he said they were going back to S or S era. That would be bringing it.

I would love them to revisit the sound on SOS
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri May 27, 2011 3:08 pm

I know some people think American Slang was more original than 59 Sound, but I think AS sounds a bit more generic, which is not to say I dislike the album, but I would love them to have more of an SOS or 59 Sound, sound to their next album. Not to just redo what they have done, but to sound retain a similar style to either of those records.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri May 27, 2011 7:26 pm

The '59 Sound is my favorite album ever, so I am not disappointed by this at all.

And just for the record, as if Gaslight would 'churn' out a few uninspired songs because 'fans like that sound'. Let's give the guys some more credits. Whatever they'll produce, it'll be awesome. I don't know what their plans with Biloxi Parish are, but if that was supposed to sound 'closer to the '59 sound', I am not convinced (the song itself is ridiculously amazing though). Aside from that, Brian just loves to say a lot of stuff as we've seen in the interviews he's given the last few years. If I recall correctly, he told us AS was going to sound like Social D with Diana Ross on backing vocals, so I guess we should take his utterances with a pinch of salt every now and then Smile
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri May 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Good news about the band heading back to their '59 Sound, sound. American Slang was probably the best album musically and they definately knew how to write a chorus with that one it is my least favourite effort of theirs. If I had it my way they'd be going back to the Sink Or Swim sound which had a much more punky aggressive vibe to it.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Quote :
Brian has just told Spin that the band's next record will be closer to The '59 Sound. "It's all about knowing your audience," says Fallon. "When I buy a record by a band and it sounds completely different, I'm just like, 'Why didn't you change your band name?'"

As I prefer the sound of American Slang to The '59 Sound, which I am almost starting to see as a nostalgic concept album, I'm not sure that this is necessarily good news. There is a difference between a sound developing and being completely different.

This exact same quote was used both by Paste and Spin. The confusing thing is that in Paste, they imply that the quote is just Fallon explaining the motivation for creating The Horrible Crowe's; hence "change your band name". In Spin, he's supposedly talking about the next record sounding more like the '59 sound.

I don't know who's stealing the quote or which context is correct, but I would guess Paste. The thing from Spin just doesn't sound like something Brian would say...like he's almost regretting AS.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:37 am

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
Quote :
Brian has just told Spin that the band's next record will be closer to The '59 Sound. "It's all about knowing your audience," says Fallon. "When I buy a record by a band and it sounds completely different, I'm just like, 'Why didn't you change your band name?'"

As I prefer the sound of American Slang to The '59 Sound, which I am almost starting to see as a nostalgic concept album, I'm not sure that this is necessarily good news. There is a difference between a sound developing and being completely different.

This exact same quote was used both by Paste and Spin. The confusing thing is that in Paste, they imply that the quote is just Fallon explaining the motivation for creating The Horrible Crowe's; hence "change your band name". In Spin, he's supposedly talking about the next record sounding more like the '59 sound.

I don't know who's stealing the quote or which context is correct, but I would guess Paste. The thing from Spin just doesn't sound like something Brian would say...like he's almost regretting AS.

Sounds like a bit of a "spin" on the original quote.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:11 am

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
Quote :

well spotted, but ...

... the Spin article was posted on 26 May, the Paste one only on 31 May. In fact, the Paste one refers to the Spin one, on which it is evidently based. Also, Spin writes "and he adds that the band's next record will hew closer to their breakthrough, The '59 Sound." That is, although they don't quote Brian, it's something he said. Paste simply ignore that bit, hence making it appear as if the subsequent quote about changing your name was only about the Horrible Crowes project.

Ergo, Brian does indeed appear to have said that the band's next record will be closer to The '59 Sound.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 am

Of course, Brian is actually Brian. What he says about the content of a record doesn't always line up with the content =P Plus I don't think they have even started writing it much. So I wouldn't worry either way =)
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:27 pm

it'd be a funny thing for him to say, given that he has stressed before the importance of developing musically.
Back to top Go down
verbos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Yes, I seem to recall Brian, while discussing American Slang, saying that they could "write another '59 Sound without effort", and that he didn't want to do that. It does seem like a strange thing to say that the new album would sound more like it, but Brian never seems to be absolutely straightforward. Either that or he changes his mind as things develop. Either way, I'm sure they won't disappoint.
Back to top Go down
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Great short interview with Brian in Rock Sound - seems like shouldn't be too long before the new record!

http://www.rocksound.tv/features/article/download-2011-the-gaslight-anthem-new-record-is-coming-quicker
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:09 pm

joshyboytyler wrote:
Great short interview with Brian in Rock Sound - seems like shouldn't be too long before the new record!

http://www.rocksound.tv/features/article/download-2011-the-gaslight-anthem-new-record-is-coming-quicker

When does writing start?
“It already has! This new record is coming quicker than people expect, I think we’ll have a new album out before Summer next year, we’re ready to go on it!”

Quicker than we expected? That's about what I expected, a new record in place before the European festival/tour season.

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
joshyboytyler wrote:

When does writing start?
“It already has! This new record is coming quicker than people expect, I think we’ll have a new album out before Summer next year, we’re ready to go on it!”

Quicker than we expected? That's about what I expected, a new record in place before the European festival/tour season.

or right before the American festival/tour season hehe
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am

Brian said yesterday that the new album will be out around May...

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 am

I'm just glad they're definitely writing and preparing TGA stuff already - I was worried The Horrible Crowes would be the end of Gaslight - happens so often with other bands when the singer/songwriter starts looking elsewhere for his creative fix.

Luckily Brian knows better!
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 am

enola wrote:
Brian said yesterday that the new album will be out around May...

Less than a year to wait, this is good news
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 pm

New album not going to be produced by Ted Hutt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaHfGy8UBk
Back to top Go down
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIDEDpszNA

Biloxi Parish is getting better and better each time they play it - sounds HUGE!

Wonder who they'll get to produce the new record - I cant see them doing an Against Me! and getting someone really famous like Butch Vig but who knows? Might not necessarily be a bad thing if they did
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

That sounded absolutely awesome, it's such an epic song
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 am

I'm not sure how I feel about Ted Hutt not being involved on the new TGA album. I'm a very big fan of Ted's, as he's been involved with several of my recent favorite bands/albums over the last 5 years or so. His resume is pretty impressive! I wonder if there is anything else that contributed to this decision? Does anyone know if the new album is expected to be under SideOneDummy? I wonder who else they would possibly work with/bring in as producer............any ideas?
Back to top Go down
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 am

On Senor and the Queen it says that they produced tht record themselves with the help of Mike Vasquez and Che Arthur - maybe they'll do it themselves as all of the band have said how much they like tht record - would be a brave thing to do on the new one but it worked on S & the Q
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 am

joshyboytyler wrote:
On Senor and the Queen it says that they produced tht record themselves with the help of Mike Vasquez and Che Arthur - maybe they'll do it themselves as all of the band have said how much they like tht record - would be a brave thing to do on the new one but it worked on S & the Q

I was thinking about this last night, I would like to see them have a go at producing it themselves, but I guess we will have to wait and see
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:41 am

joshyboytyler wrote:

Those are some good thoughts. I absolutely love that EP! Out of all TGA's albums, musically Senor and the Queen is probably the sound that I prefer most. I'm not saying it's the best album......it's pretty hard to compare an EP with full length albums anyway. I love all of their full lengths individually though!

If they produced the EP themselves (with some assistance of course), I'm sure they're capable of producing the new album.......however I'd be suprised if they chose to do that. I just wonder if there's anything specific contributing to there decision not to have Ted Hutt involved, as I thought it was a little odd to reveal Ted's absence from the album at this point and time. If TGA's time/contract with SideOneDummy is up, then I could definitely see them involving another producer to replace Ted, as it seems like the majority of albums/bands Ted produces are on SideOneDummy.

Time will tell!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm

I'd be very surprised if they produced this themselves, not only because the name of the producer is nowadays part of the pre-hype, but also because of how important the next album will probably be to where the band goes from here.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   

Back to top Go down

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next