A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Still holding out for some steel guitar on the next record
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:36 pm

fullcollapse wrote:
simo wrote:
I pretty much just ignore anything Brian tells us about what the music sounds like. It always makes me unsure and then he always proves me wrong.

Isn't he also... uh... usually pretty wrong about what he thinks it sounds like? haha.

Yeah that's partly what I meant although Elsie was kind of accurate. But I remember before American Slang he kept talking about British blues and stuff and it really wasn't like that at all.
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

JoshRaymond wrote:
Still holding out for some steel guitar on the next record

This!

It would be cool to hear a spacey/cosmic country rock/cow punk song.

No, American Slang was far from British Blues, but that's not a bad thing. I would think it wouldn't be wise to write songs with out any pretense on how they are going to sound. Let the muse guide you along...or something like that.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 pm

How about some electric Banjo? Laughing
But seriously, as long as it has good writing, and a rock style sort of like 59 or AS, I should be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm

If Ian is really playing on the songs, that does open up a lot of doors for things they could do. At least, things they could do that could also be replicated live.
Back to top Go down
coolia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:47 am

thanks you for a great theme
Back to top Go down
http://custom-essay-writing-service.org/custom-college-essay.php
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 am

Must admit I wasn't thrilled with The Queen of Lower Chelsea either, it does stand out off the AS album a bit but I think the words are cool.

Im hoping for the dreamy romanticism of The 59 Sound in the lyrics this time around with more chords played which will be likely anyway now that an extra guitarist is on board.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:26 am

Queen of Lower Chelsea is one of their best songs, especially live. You gotta be in the moment. Dance with it, sing with it, sway with it. Swag.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Queen of Lower Chelsea is one of their best songs, especially live. You gotta be in the moment. Dance with it, sing with it, sway with it. Swag.

Yea, you know I don't care for the song under normal circumstances, but if you just let it play in the background like while surfing the net or doing laundry, it's a likable song in those moments.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:10 pm

I wonder what previous Gaslight song or songs you would most like the new record to sound similar to? I'm hoping for songs similar to The Spirit of Jazz and Casanova Baby with a real upbeat, romantic vibe to them. Anyone else feel the same way?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm

I would like some more Boxer meets Angry Johnny performed in kind of a 19th century European chauvinist march music style through the looking glass of modern jazz electronica.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 am

J.B.R. wrote:
new album should be all Divorce!

this would be the closest to what i would hope for, haha!
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:06 am

I just hope they open up musically. Untill now most of their songs are pretty straight-forward... If they keep the strong beat to it, but put more melodies in it (not only the high tunes of Alex) but more piano or organ or something, it would be just fine for me. I would love to hear more solo's as well, we all know Brian's lyrics are great and his voice is lovely so let the music speak for itself now.

After all it's a band of musicians, not a backing band for Brian, or are they?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
TheEmptyBones
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:20 pm

I would like a heavier blues influence in their new record. I really love what they did with Bilouxi Parish. And with The Black Keys being as big as they are now I think the mainstream would embrace it.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:39 pm

TheEmptyBones wrote:
I would like a heavier blues influence in their new record. I really love what they did with Bilouxi Parish. And with The Black Keys being as big as they are now I think the mainstream would embrace it.

+1 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paula
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:01 pm

theBasemen wrote:
I just hope they open up musically. Untill now most of their songs are pretty straight-forward... If they keep the strong beat to it, but put more melodies in it (not only the high tunes of Alex) but more piano or organ or something, it would be just fine for me. I would love to hear more solo's as well, we all know Brian's lyrics are great and his voice is lovely so let the music speak for itself now.

After all it's a band of musicians, not a backing band for Brian, or are they?

Oh no, please no piano or organ!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey Paula, welcome to the forum! What's wrong with piano or organ music? I think that could be amazing.
Back to top Go down
Paula
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks for welcome. Smile
I think there are more than enough other bands playing piano and organ. I just want guitars and drums and therefor I love Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Didn't I read somewhere that Brian said in an interview that Ian would be playing guitar with Gaslight from now on? Wasn't it an interview around the time when the Crowes record were released? I wonder how it will affect the new record if Ian becomes a permanent member of the band?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 pm

chickenman wrote:
Didn't I read somewhere that Brian said in an interview that Ian would be playing guitar with Gaslight from now on? Wasn't it an interview around the time when the Crowes record were released? I wonder how it will affect the new record if Ian becomes a permanent member of the band?
i know brian said he was thinking of using the hammond b3 on the next album, if ian joins it would allow him to do that live.
Back to top Go down
bobbyw24
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

www.dyingscene.com

During a solo acoustic gig in Boston Thursday night, The Gaslight Anthem front man Brian Fallon let loose a little info on new Gaslight material.

According to Fallon, heís only got three songs left to write before the album will be completely penned. Recording hasnít started yet, but Fallon reports that the album is set for release in July 2012 (ďmaybe September, but probably JulyĒ to be exact). This will mark the bandís major label debut, as they recently signed with Mercury Records.
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm

I just want it to have a lot of rock to it
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am

bobbyw24 wrote:
www.dyingscene.com

During a solo acoustic gig in Boston Thursday night, The Gaslight Anthem front man Brian Fallon let loose a little info on new Gaslight material.

According to Fallon, heís only got three songs left to write before the album will be completely penned. Recording hasnít started yet, but Fallon reports that the album is set for release in July 2012 (ďmaybe September, but probably JulyĒ to be exact). This will mark the bandís major label debut, as they recently signed with Mercury Records.

I wonder if that's 3 out of the 40 he said he'd be writing, so they could pick the best.

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Based on what Brian said in the ITunes session interview about how he writes a new album, I'm surprised he actually has a number of songs missing, but maybe that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I think he said 40 but Im doubt theres so many
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   

Back to top Go down

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next