A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:21 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
I'd be very surprised if they produced this themselves, not only because the name of the producer is nowadays part of the pre-hype, but also because of how important the next album will probably be to where the band goes from here.

the next album is so important, id love to keep them as they are, but if with the next album they dont go next level i hate to think, I was talkin to Benny about what the last SoS black went for on ebay, and he said wait till we are not so popular, Benny stuff the black Sink go get em !
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Gaslight23 wrote:
joshyboytyler wrote:
On Senor and the Queen it says that they produced tht record themselves with the help of Mike Vasquez and Che Arthur - maybe they'll do it themselves as all of the band have said how much they like tht record - would be a brave thing to do on the new one but it worked on S & the Q

I was thinking about this last night, I would like to see them have a go at producing it themselves, but I guess we will have to wait and see

Gonna disagree here. I hope they focus on writing and recording, and leave the production to capable hands. I really want to see them blow up with this release, and would hate to see a potentially great album fall flat due to amateur sounding production.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get a big name producer.

Nothing against Ted Hutt, but outside the so called Punk scene, he isn't well known.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Gaslight23 wrote:
New album not going to be produced by Ted Hutt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaHfGy8UBk

Side note: this interview really exemplifies why I love this band so much. When you take a look at these four men, they aren't at all your typical, cool and popular-looking kind of rockstars, but all four seem to be some kind of misfits (in the best way that you can define misfits though). A little bit weird, but at the same time very funny and focused. It's lovely to see Brian's obvious good mood in this interview, despite all the rain.

May 2012, sounds very nice. And first THC-release, life is good Smile
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 am

HAHAHA. "Would you kiss Gwar on the face?" "YYYEAAAHH!HHH!"

Jesus, Brian's facial expressions had me laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes. Wow.
Back to top Go down
bobbyw24
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Brian says:

Do you have a release date in mind?

Were planning on recording in the winter, in the dirty, dirty winter months, so Id like to say that May, summer would be a good time.

http://bit.ly/naiyCk
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Ian to be a 5th member?
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:21 am

Interesting notes in that interview about the new record possibly going back to '59 Sound type feel. Brian always seemed dead set on "evolving" from the '59 Sound and not re-writing the record, but I kind of like the idea of experimenting with The Horrible Crowes while keeping Gaslight true to it's roots. Kind of like how Springsteen drastically changed his writing style after Born to Run. He put out some really good albums after that, but personally, I think his music lost a lot when he abandoned the style of those first three records.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am

I'm dying to hear some more rhythm guitar.

American Slang was supposed to be about riffs, but I think The Gaslight Anthem works best with a more dreamy, open chord sound.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am

from Benny's blog:

"Gaslight is continually hanging and writing songs. The group of them we have going right now are a cool step for us and making us even more excited to keep writing more. Next record is gonna be a trip."

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:23 pm

From here: http://www.billboard.com/#/news/gaslight-anthem-s-brian-fallon-looks-inward-1005345612.story

Quote :
As for the Gaslight Anthem, Fallon confirmed that they're currently recording new material. "We're making demos and our goal is 25 of them, and we've got 10. The songs that are fast, they're a lot faster. It's definitely pretty personal and pretty aggressive right now. I'm really happy with it so far."

Niiiiiice.

Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 pm

CluckyB wrote:
From here: http://www.billboard.com/#/news/gaslight-anthem-s-brian-fallon-looks-inward-1005345612.story

Quote :
As for the Gaslight Anthem, Fallon confirmed that they're currently recording new material. "We're making demos and our goal is 25 of them, and we've got 10. The songs that are fast, they're a lot faster. It's definitely pretty personal and pretty aggressive right now. I'm really happy with it so far."

Niiiiiice.

Quote :
Fallon isn't done with the Horrible Crowes; he and Perkins have plans to record more material in the future under the moniker and have their sights set on experimenting with some electronic drums. "I like those beats that Gorillaz use but imagine more classically-oriented songs with beats under them, like Moby's 'Natural Blues,'" Fallon says.

Meh. Electronic drums. Not sure about this one.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 pm

I pretty much just ignore anything Brian tells us about what the music sounds like. It always makes me unsure and then he always proves me wrong.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 am

Greg Dulli has been known to use some electronic drums as well, and those are super sweet
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 am

simo wrote:
I pretty much just ignore anything Brian tells us about what the music sounds like. It always makes me unsure and then he always proves me wrong.

Isn't he also... uh... usually pretty wrong about what he thinks it sounds like? haha.
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 am

I think there's significance to what Brain & Ian were saying in the above interview/story about having no pressure while making Elsie. I could be wrong, but I strongly get the perception that when it comes to making an album, Brian is at his best when he has no pressure, limits, or boundaries........when he is truly free to create the album that he/the band want, able to have fun and/or experiment a bit, basing his musical endeavors on his own personal desires, interests, & influences, rather than trying to conform to the expectations of fans/what he belives fans want to hear.

In trying to keep up with the making of Brian/TGA's albums, it seems to me that these things were especially present in the making of Elsie & The 59 Sound, which holds some meaning in my eyes, as I consider those to be his best/most accomplished albums. I hope the new album is approached similarly, with no concerns or worries about what it should/shouldn't sound like. Brian and TGA are amazing when they have the confidence, freedom, and motivation to "do their own thing", disregarding fans expectations, pressure, etc.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:42 am

fullcollapse wrote:
simo wrote:

Isn't he also... uh... usually pretty wrong about what he thinks it sounds like? haha.

He pretty much admitted it on twitter recently, writing something like 'not going to make any comparisions because I never stick with them anyway' or something like that in regard to what the new Gaslight demos sounded like.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Harbortown wrote:

American Slang was supposed to be about riffs, but I think The Gaslight Anthem works best with a more dreamy, open chord sound.
Am I alone in feeling this?
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Am I alone in feeling this?

No, I want to hear more rhythm guitar as well. just big bold rhythm guitar!
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:10 pm

My prediction for this album is that the lyrics will be a cross between Elsie and the 59 Sound , romantic imagery with a personal edge , i think their main aim will be to make this album have a lot of energy , maybe just one slow song. I don't expect them to experiment with any more Queen of Lower Chelsea type songs on the next album.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:43 am

What's wrong with The Queen of Lower Chelsea? Didn't like it to begin with, but it has really been growing on me, and I think it's one of the best tracks on American Slang!
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

I hope that every song sounds like wooderson
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

I personally like Queen of Lower Chelsea but i think they will be thinking more in terms of how things sound live and to me that song doesn't work that well as a live tune.
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 am

new album should be all Divorce!
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 pm

is Jack White going to produce the new album? No

j/k

I would like to think the new album would be something that would make The Replacements and Husker Du proud and/or blush!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   

Back to top Go down

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next