A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sharks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 am

Anyone else see them at Manchester? Anyone know the setlist?
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 am

God I just wish they would stop talking about their bassists because no one cares as long as they make good music and it makes them look like adolescents struggling witht their hormones.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 am

Glasgow gig review from The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/29/sharks-review

Sharks – review
King Tut's, Glasgow

Graeme Virtue

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 29 March 2012 19.30 BST

This might be their first UK headline tour, but Sharks have already evolved into a sleek live unit after two long stints on the road in the US. Those Stateside slogs have clearly toughened and tightened up the original trio from Leamington Spa, albeit at a certain abrasive cost. This is a band that goes through bassists like F1 drivers do brake pads (they're currently on their fourth).

What Sharks retain is energy, paired with a canny sense of economy. When they open with 'Til the Wonders Rise – also the first track of their just-released debut album No Gods – it's a buzzy, brash mission statement, with a chorus whoosh worthy of Green Day. But instead of milking the melody, it's battered out in a three-minute burst, the quicker to get to current single Arcane Effigies, a song far more upbeat than that title suggests. The key terrace-chant line of "Hey Rudy, Rudy" may sound more like Kaiser Chiefs than the Clash, but it's the sort of earworm that can rocket a band into the mainstream.

Sharks aren't quite there yet, judging by the relatively quiet turnout in Glasgow, but wiry singer/guitarist James Mattock gives it some welly anyway, head craning back to blast every line. Their pogo-punk may often look to the US, but Mattock's accent and lyrical vignettes remain defiantly British. There's not a whiff of Route 66 around On a Clear Day You Can See Yourself, a small-town tale of ambition and promise drip-dripping away. Even better is Sweet Harness, with a crunchy ascending chord progression that echoes pre-electronica Radiohead.

Along with Camden's Tribes – who they'll be supporting on tour next month – Sharks have been pegged as great white guitar hopes for 2012. This short, sharp, hook-filled set confirms they've earned the title, even if they could do with a little more bite.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47 am

Hey I've got a spare ticket for the show in Cardiff sunday night - selling it for less than face value and what not, hate for it to go waste - anyone interested? ///
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Saw Sharks for the second time in a week last night in York. They were brilliant, a really good set and they sounded great. Andy's guitar work really is impressive. Spoke to James and Andy after the show again as well and they were really cool, down-to-earth guys. Andy said they had already written a couple of new songs and were hoping to record a new album by the end of 2012 Smile I can't wait already!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:02 am

i hate to say it, but i think i like Joys of Living better than No Gods silent

not trying to be cool here, just got in to them recently.

i just got the black/blue Joys of Living record, it's beeeeautfiul!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:55 pm

I prefer No Gods to The Joys Of Living. It is definitely more commercially accessible, but although that is often seen as bad thing I think on the whole the songs on No Gods are of higher lyrical and musical quality. Tis a good album Smile.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:17 pm

At first I was a little skeptical to the poppier songs like Patient Spider and Turn To You, now I can't stop listening to them.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 pm

ThisMachineKillsFascists wrote:
At first I was a little skeptical to the poppier songs like Patient Spider and Turn To You, now I can't stop listening to them.

Yeah those two and No Gods are my top three. I can't get enough of the track No Gods. This band has got so much potential.
Back to top Go down
holdonnow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:02 am

I like "The Joys of Living" but "No Gods" is on a different level, in my opinion. Sharks appear to have improved as musicians and also as song writers too! In such a short time they've learned how to create some really catchy tunes. "No Gods" is more on the poppier side, but ironically it's the catchy, poppy, and slower songs that I enjoy most on this new album. I seem to like Sharks much more as a "rock" band incorporating elements of "pop punk" (like "No Gods") rather than a "punk rock" band (more like "The Joys of Living").

My favorite tracks off of the new album are "Patient Spider", "Turn To You", "Able Moving Hearts", "No Gods", "Luck", and "Arcane Effigies". My least favorite song is track one titled "Til The Wonders Rise", which is the only track that I sometimes find myself considering skipping over. That aside, overall the album is very strong and consistent the whole way through, having an organized and complete feel to it........something I can not say about "The Joys of Living" which was a compilation of prior EP's, preventing the album from flowing smoothly in my opinion. When listening to it, I find myself skipping all around the album, as oppossed to letting it play the whole way through which is what I'm able to do with "No Gods".

So far, Sharks' "No Gods" is one of my favorite albums of 2012 (maybe even my favorite of 2012 at this point). There's no doubt they have potential/a bright future! I just hope they continue to mature and not get caught up in the pitfalls of the music industry.
Back to top Go down
TheEmptyBones
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/sessions/2012-04-11_sharks
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 am

I'm not familiar with Only Fools and Horses, but that was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:27 pm

You're missing out man! Classic British comedy.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Camus wrote:

You're missing out man! Classic British comedy.

Guess I'll have to check it out then!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

LOL I thought I could google this thread and arrived here: http://dimestorerevelations.blogspot.com/2009/06/blow-filled-shark-carcasses.html

Anyway, can someone explain the merch situation? At some point they had a US store and now they don't? I wanted to order something but want it in $ and don't want the shipping fee of a UK order.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 pm

On A Clear Day You Can See Yourself reminds me so much of The Cribs.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
LOL I thought I could google this thread and arrived here: http://dimestorerevelations.blogspot.com/2009/06/blow-filled-shark-carcasses.html

Anyway, can someone explain the merch situation? At some point they had a US store and now they don't? I wanted to order something but want it in $ and don't want the shipping fee of a UK order.

Think this is the USA store, but the shirts are different from the UK big cartel store.

http://new.merchnow.com/catalogs/sharks/shirts
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Ah ok thanks! I knew there was some other site I had seen in the last few months and that was it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Sat May 05, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't know why it took me so long to listen to them, but I love their stuff.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon May 14, 2012 6:33 pm

New tour update:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0p4fkNFaRc
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

new video, 'Patient Spider' from No Gods

great song and love the video

http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Really great song and good video too. Hopefully this will get just as much airplay as Arcane Effigies did.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Of course Youtube is turning it's back on me today. :/ Gonna have to watch this at work tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Sick song, sick video! It's probably my favorite track off of No Gods....or at least one of them. This band is progressing rapidly and I can't wait to see what they come up with for their next album.

I have to give it up to Rise Records though! A record label that I personally would've avoided 2 years ago, has released some of the best albums this year! I'm very pleased with Sharks' "No Gods", Make Do and Mend's "Everything you ever loved" (which is a great album; definitely one of the best albums this year and I highly recommend it), Hot Water Music's "Exister", and while not as good as the previous three mentioned, Cheap Girls' "Giant Orange". I hope Rise continues to sign such great bands!

Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 pm

I never liked their first two EP's but I'm just giving them another chance now because I thought surely I must be missing something if there is all this hype. Only 4 or 5 songs into the new record but I'm loving it. I think you can hear The Clash influence more in this album as opposed to their previous efforts. Top stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sharks   

Back to top Go down

Sharks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: