A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Vegetarians?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:15 am

When I was talking to Benny before their SJ show I found out that we are both vegetarians and we got to talking about brands that we like and places that we like that serve vegetarian/vegan meals. He mentioned 'field roast' so I went out and bought some apple sage "sausages" from the brand and they were amazing! I also told him about Ike's Place in San Francisco which is an amazing sandwich shop that serves all kinds of vegan "meats". We both don't like all the icky ingrdients in 'morning star' foods.

I was just wondering how many other veg/vegan TGA fans are out there and brands/places that you love and want to share.

Benny: "I think I would eat a human before I ate an animal. I don't know how you can kill an animal, they're so innocent. At least you know a human has done something to deserve it at some point." <--- I nearly died. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 am

I was raised as a Vegetarian, since both of my parents are vegetarians.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:25 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:

What made you switch?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:57 am

1. cool picture with benny
2. didn't know he was vegetarian, so that's always a huge plus for me

i turned vegetarian when i was 15 (after some arguing with my parents) and i have been living vegan now for little less than one year. i have to say the feeling of living this lifestyle is just great, i would not want to trade for anything in the world.

as much as i experienced during my stays in the u.s., the situation is for vegetarian and vegan is quite different in the u.s. and europe

my fav brands are: alpro soya (great and certificated brand from u.k., garanteed no soy from rain-forests (rain forests soy is mainly used to feed cows to feed people)) and vegavita (lot of fake-meat products made of wheat-protein and vegetables, very yummi)
i try to avoid tofu, but when eaten, i go sure it's from biological farming. oh and i have to drink soy-milk from time to time to make sure i get enough Vitamn B12.

p.s.: check this website, it lists all vegetarian restaurants all over the world, it's fatastic
http://www.happycow.net/

cheers
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 am

Little Eden wrote:
I also told him about Ike's Place in San Francisco which is an amazing sandwich shop that serves all kinds of vegan "meats".

Im going to have to remember this place when im there do you know any other good vegie/vegan places to eat around San Fran?

Im really worried when I go to the states that im not going to be able to eat properly. Im going to be in Seattle to so if anyone has any suggestions for there that would be really appreciated.

Anyway I have been veggie since I started college back in 2005. I had good support from my parents my Mum often eats veggie but doesn't class herself as one. Though she used to be a proper hardcore veggie so I think thats why she has been so supportive not that my Dad hasn't he likes trying all the different stuff to. The only time I have eaten meat since then was when I was in Japan and had no choice otherwise I would have been living off just noddles and rice and wouldn't have been able to function.

I love being veggie though and have recently really got into the cooking side of it making interesting sauces etc I think its more because im back home from uni so have access to more fresh veg from the garden. There is nothing like cooking a meal from stuff grown at home. It winds my mum up no end though that I get through so much of the herbs though haha.

Does anyone else find that they respect meat eaters choice to do so. Yet meat eaters constantly moan about veggies forcing it down their throats so to speak and give veggies far more shit for not eating meat than veggies do to them despite there claims? Really pisses me off especially when people claim its not masculine to not eat steak. Such a weak argument. What the fuck is masculinity these days anyway its the fucking 21st century for christ sake. I could rant but I wont.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 am

for anyone:
this will show you vegetarian, vegan or even -friendly restaurants in even the tiniest places, it helped for dozens of times when travelling

and being able to cook makes everything much easier.

i never yell or talk bad about and at people eating meat, because if it's their choice and they are happy with it, it's not up to me to judge them. i would not hold up to one of my greatest believes, total tolerance and i hate veggies and meat-eaters that act otherwise. i only make sure, people buy and consume their meat, dairy products and eggs out of biological farming, what's quite easy in the world's leading biological-farming country^^

i never heard any arguements about being veggie was not masculine or other shit like that. most people i know think it's cool to be vegetarian/vegan, they just never could do so.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:15 am

Grazer wrote:
p.s.: check this website, it lists all vegetarian restaurants all over the world, it's fatastic

cheers

Thanks for the website! That's an invaluable tool! I'll be traveling soon and I'm sure that'll come in handy! Smile
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:19 am

Grazer wrote:
for anyone:
this will show you vegetarian, vegan or even -friendly restaurants in even the tiniest places, it helped for dozens of times when travelling

and being able to cook makes everything much easier.

i never yell or talk bad about and at people eating meat, because if it's their choice and they are happy with it, it's not up to me to judge them. i would not hold up to one of my greatest believes, total tolerance and i hate veggies and meat-eaters that act otherwise. i only make sure, people buy and consume their meat, dairy products and eggs out of biological farming, what's quite easy in the world's leading biological-farming country^^

i never heard any arguements about being veggie was not masculine or other shit like that. most people i know think it's cool to be vegetarian/vegan, they just never could do so.

Thanks for that im with tolerance is everything from both 'sides'. Maybe that argument is a British thing but there is some stupid association that manly men eat steak otherwise your some kind of pussy. Im just fed up of getting so much shit for being veggie while I sit down and respect their own choice. Most of my immediate friends are cool with it they would never switch but can see why I do it and are fine with it.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:23 am

kieran wrote:
Little Eden wrote:
I also told him about Ike's Place in San Francisco which is an amazing sandwich shop that serves all kinds of vegan "meats".

Im going to have to remember this place when im there do you know any other good vegie/vegan places to eat around San Fran?

Im really worried when I go to the states that im not going to be able to eat properly. Im going to be in Seattle to so if anyone has any suggestions for there that would be really appreciated.

Anyway I have been veggie since I started college back in 2005. I had good support from my parents my Mum often eats veggie but doesn't class herself as one. Though she used to be a proper hardcore veggie so I think thats why she has been so supportive not that my Dad hasn't he likes trying all the different stuff to. The only time I have eaten meat since then was when I was in Japan and had no choice otherwise I would have been living off just noddles and rice and wouldn't have been able to function.

I love being veggie though and have recently really got into the cooking side of it making interesting sauces etc I think its more because im back home from uni so have access to more fresh veg from the garden. There is nothing like cooking a meal from stuff grown at home. It winds my mum up no end though that I get through so much of the herbs though haha.

Does anyone else find that they respect meat eaters choice to do so. Yet meat eaters constantly moan about veggies forcing it down their throats so to speak and give veggies far more shit for not eating meat than veggies do to them despite there claims? Really pisses me off especially when people claim its not masculine to not eat steak. Such a weak argument. What the fuck is masculinity these days anyway its the fucking 21st century for christ sake. I could rant but I wont.

I don't know of any other places off the top of my head that have as big of a selection (Ike's make over 120 different sandwiches), but if you bum around Haight street (fabulous place for thrift shopping as well) it's hippy vibe definitely lends itself to some vegan options. When in San Francisco, Ike's is in the Castro district on 16th street. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding foods to eat, I've lived here all my life and have yet to go hungry. However, I too find that cooking my own food is the way to go. I've really become quite the domestic this summer between cooking fresh veg meals every night/cleaning/& even sewing lol. I feel like a 50's housewife. But anyways, yes, I too see the double standard. I still cook meat dinners for my parents (all the while I find myself apologizing to the meat) yet they still harass me and try to coerce me into eating meat. It's been 5 years since I last ate meat, and it's not going to happen again. Oh well, at least we're doing our part.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:32 am

Oh Grazer what do you mean by biological farming? Is that what we call over here free range farming?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:51 am

i just called it biological farming

it's the way of farming where you have strict guidelines to follow to call yourself one. you're not allowed to use any fertilizers than slurry, or not allowed to use pestizides and stuff. keeping animals you have to go sure they have enough space (much more than usual) you're not allwed to stuff them with antibiotica or anything else than just hay and so on. higher standards of everything.
so i guess it includes free range farming.

it's just a better way of farming that makes sure, animals are treated better while raised up and less use of artificial stuff...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:57 am

Ah okay we know that over here as juse organic/free range farming I have never heard it called biological farming before.

It certainly is better though what ever it is called.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 am

Little Eden wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

What made you switch?

I still am. Sorry about the my shitty english.
Back to top Go down
ShieldYourEyes
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Vegetarian, here. It was hit or miss and trial and error but it has finally clicked for me and I'm so happy about it.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Little Eden wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

What made you switch?

I still am. Sorry about the my shitty english.

Hahaha, no problem. I was responding to this thread @ 2 am so that could have something to do with it lolz
Since you're in the Bay, go to Ike's Place next time you're in The City!
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm

ShieldYourEyes wrote:
Vegetarian, here. It was hit or miss and trial and error but it has finally clicked for me and I'm so happy about it.

That's definitely how it was for me. It took a few tries before I was finally like "hey, this is what I want and nothing is going to influence me otherwise"
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 pm

When I think about what I'm eating, I can really see how people could become vegetarians. But at the same time, I don't like vegetables, so I would probably lose a bunch of weight if I ever tried it. And I can't afford to lose any...I'd rather gain a few pounds.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 am

3.5 years veg.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 am

simo wrote:
When I think about what I'm eating, I can really see how people could become vegetarians. But at the same time, I don't like vegetables, so I would probably lose a bunch of weight if I ever tried it. And I can't afford to lose any...I'd rather gain a few pounds.

That would be a problem lol
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 am

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
3.5 years veg.

*high fives*!!!
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 am

yep, i'm also a vegetarian. have been since i started college 2 years ago. ain't never going back!
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 am

i tried going a day knowing i wouldn't eat meat and i couldn't make it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
Asleepontheforestfloor
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 am

I don't really eat much meat but I'm not a vegitarian. I was for about 6 months, but it cost way to much in my town and there are no options. I think I'll switch back next month when I move to Porland, OR. Which happens to be one of the most vegan friendly towns in the us! =]
Back to top Go down
Tobi
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 am

Iīve been a vegetarian for about 16 years now ... never had any problems, and here it isnīt any more expensive ... vegetables mostly are way way cheaper than meat ...
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:09 am

Tobi wrote:
Iīve been a vegetarian for about 16 years now ... never had any problems, and here it isnīt any more expensive ... vegetables mostly are way way cheaper than meat ...

The problem I have with produce is how quickly it spoils Sad and then I've wasted money on spoiled food. Peaches can be very tempermental.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?   

Back to top Go down

Vegetarians?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: