A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Color variants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Color variants   Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm

So I recently started collecting vinyl, and I decided to make only a collection of 2 bands (with color variants and all that stuff), since it can be pretty expensive. One of them was going to be, obviously, The Gaslight Anthem.

Then, I went to check out how many variants there are, and I was shocked! Only of SoS, there are 12 of them. I haven't counted all of them, but I'm pretty sure there must be around 60-70 different vinyl over all. Don't you think that's a little too much for a band who's only been around for 4-5 years and has only 3 album's and an EP out?

I know it's not the band who decides all of this, but the management/label. Still, I think it's a rip off. It's just a way of taking the money out of fans. It's pretty much impossible for someone who hasn't been around since day 1 to get a complete hold of all the vinyl that are out there of Gaslight, and I think it's a shame. Don't get me wrong, I like color variants and the fact of having an edition that only other 199 people have, but that's ok when there is only like 3 or 4 variants of an album, not 12! I'm not rich and I can't afford spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on something like this (and the amount increases when we see how high many items gel sold on eBay...).

I just wanted to know your opinion on this. What do you guys think? Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of stupid?


Last edited by Bea on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Asleepontheforestfloor
Wooderson
Wooderson
avatar

Posts : 347
Join date : 2009-01-22
Age : 25
Location : Yakima, WA

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Brian said it was because the guys at no idea, vinyl collective, and other small distros have cool colors they want to print em on. And they say sure. haha.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2008-09-02
Age : 27
Location : Portsmouth/Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Labels are selling less and less of physical formats so when way is to exploit the vinyl collectors who are already used to paying a bit more to get their desiered format and therefore make extra cash. I suppose this is kinda morally suspect but at the same time if it wasn't for labels would we be hearing as much of Gaslight as we do?
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 928
Join date : 2009-02-11
Location : 49015

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Bea wrote:
So I recently started collecting vinyl, and I decided to make only a collection of 2 bands (with color variants and all that stuff), since it can be pretty expensive. One of them was going to be, obviously, The Gaslight Anthem.

Then, I went to check out how many variants there are, and I was shocked! Only of SoS, there are 12 of them. I haven't counted all of them, but I'm pretty sure there must be around 60-70 different vinyl over all. Don't you think that's a little too much for a band who's only been around for 4-5 years and has only 3 album's and an EP out?

I know it's not the band who decides all of this, but the management/label. Still, I think it's a rip off. It's just a way of taking the money out of fans. It's pretty much impossible for someone who hasn't been around since day 1 to get a complete hold of all the vinyl that are out there of Gaslight, and I think it's a shame. Don't get me wrong, I like color variants and the fact of having an edition that only other 199 people have, but that's ok when there is only like 3 or 4 variants of an album, not 12! I'm not rich and I can't afford spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on something like this (and the amount increases when we see how high many items gel sold on eBay...).

I just wanted to know your opinion on this. What do you guys think? Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of stupid?
I really don't think they're trying to rip off anyone. Each new color of Sink or Swim was added after the previous pressing sold out, it's not like they released 12 different colors at once as a cash grab. In fact, the current US pressing is on clear vinyl and all future pressings will be. If they were really trying to milk the fans, they could release a new color on every tour and it'd still sell out. Brian has said they did the No Idea/Vinyl Collective exclusives as a way to support those independent labels/stores while selling their music.

As for collecting every color of every release, sure there are a ton of them (probably around 50 on vinyl). Some of them are hard to find and some are extremely expensive. That's what happens when people collect anything. There are common/cheap versions of all the major releases though. So people can have a "complete" collection without spending a fortune. Some people just want to have as much as possible. It's just a choice, not a requirement.

To answer your question... yes, buying the same album in different colors is stupid and yes, I have multiple copies of the releases. Recently I've been considering selling some stuff, maybe this will give me a push.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 am

I don't collect vinyl colour variants, as I don't see the need (perhaps because I can't afford to?). However, I do have vinyl of all TGA releases, beucase I like the large format artwork and because it's fun to have proper LPs etc.

As no-one forces you to 'collect them all', I don't think colour variants are a rip off. Instead, I have a rip off issue with bonus tracks, special editions, etc, which are not available at the time of the original album release.

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:42 am

i just wanted to see what everybody thought. and even though i'm sad because i can't have all color variants, which i'd love to, i understand that no one is making me do it. i was kinda angry when i wrote that, which i think you can tell xD anyways, it's cool to have different variants, even though there might be a little too much of Gaslight out there Razz (in my opinion)
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender


Posts : 219
Join date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am

there can never be too much Gaslight out there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson


Posts : 412
Join date : 2009-09-12
Age : 30
Location : Palatine, IL

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 am

I am getting close to a complete collection and maybe if I had offered $20 more on a few items I would have a complete set (minus tests). If you are serious about collecting though you'll need a combination of money, patience, persistence, and bargaining skills. I think the only items I haven't seen for sale are the tests for S&TQ and SOS Demos.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 1578
Join date : 2010-05-26
Age : 25
Location : Luxembourg / Spain

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 am

PFREEZY wrote:
If you are serious about collecting though you'll need a combination of money, patience, persistence, and bargaining skills
the only thing missing is the money Razz i'm not going to take it seriously right now, but we'll what happens in a few years
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
avatar

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2008-09-02
Age : 27
Location : Portsmouth/Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 am

I suppose the flip side of several variants usually means people like me who are not concerned about colour or such things will always be able to pick up a cheaper copy especially if they are kept in print like much of Gaslight's stuff is.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
avatar

Posts : 601
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 24
Location : Downstate, NY

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 pm

i met brian before the release show and spoke to him just about the american slang variants. he said the actual color choices were up to mostly benny. he said if it were up to him, he would have made the vinyl hot pink, haha.
Back to top Go down
ExitEnglish
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2010-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:50 pm

i recently started collecting as well (a couple months) and have seen every (non-test) item for sale save the white SATQ 2x7" and the /104 SOS demos. i've been able to get everything i wanted/could afford at the time. i'm in the process of procuring SOS on black, if the guy would ever get back to me. it is really daunting at first, and i lucked out and got in touch with someone pretty much liquidating their collection and i got first dibs on pretty much everything.
i personally like the variants because the collection looks awesome and i like being able to have a lof of something i really love, that being gaslight stuff. i like being one of a relatively small group (when compared with the number of fans they have) with a collection of a bunch of their stuff
Back to top Go down
xorcist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 53
Join date : 2009-08-14
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Bea wrote:
Razz i'm not going to take it seriously right now, but we'll what happens in a few years

That's what I said when I started too...now I'm 2 away from a complete color collection. Be careful, it kind of becomes addicting. haha.
Back to top Go down
ExitEnglish
A Contender
A Contender
avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2010-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:38 pm

yeah i told myself "i have all the time in the world, no rush", and admittedly i'm more than two away (about 8 maybe) but i definitely didn't take my time (i've been going for about 3 months maybe)

i might start to continue strike anywhere also, i have a few of their variants
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
avatar

Posts : 7938
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 33
Location : arizona

PostSubject: Re: Color variants   Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 am

kieran wrote:
Labels are selling less and less of physical formats so when way is to exploit the vinyl collectors who are already used to paying a bit more to get their desiered format and therefore make extra cash. I suppose this is kinda morally suspect but at the same time if it wasn't for labels would we be hearing as much of Gaslight as we do?

morally suspect? its not like the only way to get a copy of their music is to have to pay high prices. suckers that wanna spend all their money collecting different colors of the same thing can spend their money if they have it, if not, it's hardly the end of the world. all the labels are doing is offering something, people that buy the variants are the ones driving the prices up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Color variants   

Back to top Go down
 
Color variants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» How to change text font and color in category and forum on PhpBB 3
» Change default username color?
» Chatbox Color
» How to change the background color in a forum post?
» Changing the name color

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Vinyl, CDs & Trading-
Jump to: