A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Article on TGA will be in Hot Press tomorrow, and one of the things they talk about is the influence of U2 on the band Razz
That's just a little nugget for the Bono haters around here!
http://www.hotpress.com/The%20Gaslight%20Anthem/news/The-Gaslight-Anthem-Bonos-Been-A-Big-Influence/6534275.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Bjork? wtf?
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I reckon he just talked about Bono because HP is an Irish magazine.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Bono sucks.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the above statement...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I just think it's narrow-minded to hate someone you've never met based on your perception of them through second hand reports, especially when they haven't actually done something concretely bad.
Bono talks about Africa a lot and gives to charity. Oh no! He's the anti-christ!
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:29 pm

tdawg wrote:
I just think it's narrow-minded to hate someone you've never met based on your perception of them through second hand reports, especially when they haven't actually done something concretely bad.
Bono talks about Africa a lot and gives to charity. Oh no! He's the anti-christ!

I've got nothing wrong with people giving to charity or whatever. But the fact so many people hate him/dislike him isn't a coincidence.

He's an egoitistical, hypocritical, 'I'm the best in the world, look at me, I do good in this world', arrogant git. Nothing wrong with doing good in this world but he don't half go on about it alot. He seems to think he's solving the world crisis and it's all up to him.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:30 pm

The U2 influence in the music was always obvious for me.

And I agree with what tdwag said.

And honestly, a lot of people judge U2 based on their recent mediocre output. Go back and listen to "War" and "The Unforgettable Fire", which in my mind, are two of the best albums ever.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 1:45 pm

can't stand bono but love early U2
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Palmer89 wrote:

He's an egoitistical, hypocritical, 'I'm the best in the world, look at me, I do good in this world', arrogant git.
Hmm. I've never heard him say something like that. I've only heard other people say that he says that. I think you're getting your information from South Park rather than from the guy himself.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm

For someone who moved his 'business affairs' (i.e U2 Inc.) to Holland so he wouldn't have to pay tax in Ireland, yet is the first person to complain about the state of the country or lobby the government for something, he's an awful self-righteous arrogant ****.

Can't say I enjoy his music either.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
Palmer89 wrote:

He's an egoitistical, hypocritical, 'I'm the best in the world, look at me, I do good in this world', arrogant git.
Hmm. I've never heard him say something like that. I've only heard other people say that he says that. I think you're getting your information from South Park rather than from the guy himself.

He doesn't say it obviously, but all this crap about meeting the president and leaders of the country at G20 summits and global warming meetings. I've heard him constantly in interviews and on stage (through videos) about the need to help the world. He really does act as if it's him and only up to him to make the world a better place.

Yes, he may be helping, but no one else in the world decides to tell us half as much as Bono does. Of course, all those huge stadium concerts must be doing wonders for the environment.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 2:51 pm

with all of his environmental concern, he did not seem to concerned about the 200 semi trucks needed to transport all of the gear and stage stuff they used on their 360 tour.
200 semi trucks?!
200!?
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 pm

I've got nothing against Bono, I just think U2 sucks. I think their appeal might be a generational thing that I'm oblivious to.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 pm

drifter69 wrote:
can't stand bono but love early U2
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 pm

i dont think its that bad to say you think bono sucks. when its a human being youve never met, ok, i can see the point in saying its dumb to say that person sucks when youve never met them. but people that are as famous as bono represent something larger, and if youre sick of hearing about him, and esp. the point someone made about the hypocrisy is preaching about the environment and then loading up 200 semi trucks to go on tour w you. but still. when people are famous like bono its different than if they were an "ordinary" person, and i think its entirely possible to say youre annoyed by them or "they suck," or youre sick of seeing them and hearing them all the time. besides, i didnt read annoy that said they hate him.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 2:03 am

I don't get the hate for Bono. I've seen every excuse for ragging on the guy imaginable, but none of it adds up to me.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, I'll concede and say that if I think U2 is guilty of anything, it's being too politically vocal. Their views themselves and them supposedly being "hypocritical" don't really bother me as much as them stating them so much to begin with. I really dislike any sort of mix of music and politics.

That being said, the funny thing is that U2 (as well as my other favorite, Bruce Springsteen) very rarely put overt political messages in their songs, even though their known for their public sermons on politics. Even on an album like Magic, which was about the Iraq war, all of Bruce's imagery is so vague and ambiguous that you can enjoy the album without even knowing what it's supposed to be about. Neither band really forces their politics down your throat when you're just listening to the albums.

Now, U2 may not practice everything they preach, but I respect them musically, not personally. As I've stated in another discussion, I'm not friends with any of them; I just like their music.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

I understand people not wanting politics in their music. But it does bug me when I go to shows and people complain about. If you pay $90 to go see U2 (they still put on a great show btw), you should expect that. Don't complain about it the entire concert as if you had no idea.

That said, I think mixing music and politics is extremely powerful. The Clash, Bob Dylan, U2, Ozomatli and others are all among my favorite artists and they aren't shy about putting politics in their songs.

To me, music is one of the greatest forms of expression, so why not express your views that way? But like I said, I could see how some people wouldn't like that.
Back to top Go down
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I guess some people like their songs heavy in polarizing political angst because they don't find politics totally depressing as it is, like I do. I listen to music to escape from the troubles of the world, not become immersed in them.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 1:19 pm

American Skin was a pretty blatant political message.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 pm

brian is less of a douche than bono
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Johnny99 wrote:
American Skin was a pretty blatant political message.

Yes, American Skin was. But that was written by Springsteen. You may be thinking of American Slang, which is the new Gaslight album/song. Regardless, I don't think he's trying to be political. He talks about the American dream vs. the American reality (in several interviews), but having American in the title or even singing about the country doesn't make it about politics. In this case, its the people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Haha, trust me dude, Johnny99 knows the difference between American Skin and American Slang.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm

haha yes thank you, i was talking about the springsteen song and how someone said he hides his messages with vague lyrics.
while he does do this sometimes, its not something he always does. as is the case with American Skin, which is a as blatant is it gets on calling out the officers who fired 41 shots at an unarmed man. I love when it came out i remember a lot of my buddies parents who were cops were all on board with the police boycott of springsteen.
i thought it was hilarious, but i was ultimately thinking, less cops at springsteen shows? sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence   

Back to top Go down

TGA: Bono's Been a Big Influence
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next